New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by etrpgb View Post
    It can be extended to most feats.
    Feats are really badly written, it seems authors are scared to write decent feats and yet have no problems writing broken spells. Most core feats are almost useless (Tier 6 if you prefer).

Weapon Specialization +2 damage VS Fireball 1d6 damage per level....ok, there is a cap. But the point should be clear.

Endurance ... you get 3 HP. WHAT? My character will have 7 feats in all his career and I should use one for 3 HP?!? No, seriously... do they play tested anything?
    If it were something like 1 HP per level (min 3) my Wizard might think about it...

Of course this is the real problem of the Fighter class. Bad feats, bad class that lives of feats.
    1. Endurance doesn't give any HP.
    2. I'd like to see a breakdown of how "most" core feats - where we get metamagic, item creation, power attack, and natural spell, among others - are "almost useless".
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Toughness, yeah... language barrier.

Here is the list, check by yourself.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Toughness, yeah... language barrier.

Here is the list, check by yourself.
    I'm aware of the list. I'm saying "most" of those aren't "almost useless". I'm asking what percentage of them you were considering when you made the assertion.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

PaladinGuy

My favorite here is still "gaining cover with a tower shield grants the tower shield itself cover."

- Smaller creatures gain bonuses to hide because they are smaller. Makes sense. But it begins to get silly when you realize that two diminutive creatures will never find each other ever.

Look everyone this image is a link!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Disfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.
    Follow up by using the total cover from the shield to make a hide check. You, and thus your tower shield, are now hidden.

Mounted combat almost as a whole, with special mention of ride by attack.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post
    My favorite here is still "gaining cover with a tower shield grants the tower shield itself cover."

- Smaller creatures gain bonuses to hide because they are smaller. Makes sense. But it begins to get silly when you realize that two diminutive creatures will never find each other ever.
    And while we are at it, the Spot rules and their interaction with various celestial objects...
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-09-11 at 05:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

7. - Top - End - #37

BarbarianGuy

As DMG a Tiny creature cannot attack a Small creature as it cannot enter in its square.

@Amphetryon
    I made a quick count, there are about 110 feats and I counted 47 that I do not think anyone would ever want. I might not be `most', but it is surely `many'.
    Last edited by etrpgb; 2011-09-11 at 05:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post

How is that silly? Being needle-sized doesn't make it much easier to find a needle in a haystack.

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    And while we are at it, the Spot rules and their interaction with various celestial objects...
    I don't think you need to make a Spot check unless the object is hidden or otherwise difficult to see.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Swordsage's AC bonus.

Unarmed Swordsages.
    Please elaborate.

--

Also, regarding Spot checks, I'm not quite sure if I'm just not reading the rules correctly... or if an average person cannot see another average person beyond 200ft (60 metres) even if the latter isn't even trying to hide (Spot check +0, Hide Check 0, Distance penalty -21).
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

10. - Top - End - #40

As DMG a Tiny creature cannot attack a Small creature as it cannot enter in its square.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Very Small Creature

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/mov...throughaSquare
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Disfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    The core book also doesn't mention what happens when you lose the requirements for a PrC, so it could be argued that there is nothing in core for CA and CW to overrule.
    Fun stuff: History of the game.

In D&D 3.0, the DMG does not include the Dragon Disciple PrC - that was found in a different book. Additionally, the 3.0 DMG PrC header had the same clause that shows up in the 3.5 Complete Arcane and the 3.5 Complete Warrior books.

In D&D 3.5, the DMG inludes the Dragon Disciple PrC... and the DMG PrC header does not include the troublesome clause that shows up in Complete Arcane and Complete Warrior.

The clause was specifically removed from the DMG in the 3.0 -> 3.5 transition. Complete Arcane and Complete Warrior? They were very early books in 3.5, that mostly functioned as compilations of various items from 3.0 sources with minor edits.

As nearly as I can tell, the presence of that troublesome clause is an editing error.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    Please elaborate.
    By RAW, Swordsages only get Wis to AC in light armor. (i.e. any other level of armor - including no armor at all - loses the bonus.)

Not sure what the issue is with Unarmed Swordsages, they seem playable. (though they would be hit even harder by the rule above.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    As nearly as I can tell, the presence of that troublesome clause is an editing error.
    I don't think it belongs in 3.5 either - but again, this is the "silly rules" thread.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-09-11 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMonk View Post
    I don't think you need to make a Spot check unless the object is hidden or otherwise difficult to see.
    Nope, an example of a DC: 10 skill check is spotiing a large object in plain sight.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Please elaborate.
    Only works in light armor.

Have to take Improved Unarmed Strike, don't get it as a bonus feat.
    --

Also, regarding Spot checks, I'm not quite sure if I'm just not reading the rules correctly... or if an average person cannot see another average person beyond 200ft (60 metres) even if the latter isn't even trying to hide (Spot check +0, Hide Check 0, Distance penalty -21).
    Even with the massive size penalty, the Sun is too far away to see.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Please elaborate.
    The Swordsage's AC Bonus technically only applies when they are in light armour (and unencumbered while not using a shield). Strict reading of RAW does not grant them this bonus when they are actually unarmoured. Amusingly.

This is exacerbated with Unarmed Swordsages, who lose proficiency with light armour.

Edit: Swordsage'd. Fitting.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-09-11 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

It can be extended to most feats.
    Feats are really badly written, it seems authors are scared to write decent feats and yet have no problems writing broken spells. Most core feats are almost useless (Tier 6 if you prefer).
    I blame Fighter. The very existence of the class devalues the worth of melee feats.

Looking over SRD for general feats:

Utterly useless (30):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatic
    Agile
    Alertness
    Animal Affinity
    Athletic
    Combat Casting
    Deceitful
    Deft Hands
    Diligent
    Dodge
    Endurance
    Improved Counterspell
    Investigator
    Magical Aptitude
    Martial Weapon Proficiency
    Trample
    Negotiator
    Nimble Fingers
    Persuasive
    Shot On The Run
    Great Cleave
    Improved Overrun
    Run
    Self-Sufficient
    Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Skill Focus
    Stealthy
    Toughness
    Track
    Two-Weapon Defense

Mostly useless (29):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Armor Proficiency (Light)
    Armor Proficiency (Medium)
    Armor Proficiency (Heavy)
    Blind-Fight
    Improved Disarm
    Improved Feint
    Whirlwind Attack
    Mobility
    Spring Attack
    Diehard
    Eschew Materials
    Extra Turning
    Great Fortitude
    Improved Turning
    Snatch Arrows
    Stunning Fist
    Iron Will
    Lightning Reflexes
    Point Blank Shot
    Far Shot
    Cleave
    Improved Bull Rush
    Improved Sunder
    Quick Draw
    Rapid Reload
    Shield Proficiency
    Improved Shield Bash
    Tower Shield Proficiency,
    Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

That's 59 out of PHB's 92 general feats. Then there are 17 metamagic or item creation feats.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

There's 110 feats in the PHB. 16 of those are the +2/+2 skill feats and Skill Focus. So a bit over a tenth are almost completely pointless. Then there's the class that is merely 'really bad', often because you can get the same effect with something less valuable than a feat- the save boosters, Armor/shield proficiencies, and weapon proficiencies. 3 saves, 3 kinds of armor, 3 kinds of weapon (I *might* exempt Exotic Weapon Prof from this, but just because the Spiked Chain is pretty good. Everything else is a terrible return on a feat), 2 different shield proficiency feats. 11 more feats, and we're up to just shy of one quarter of the feats are what I'd call truly almost useless, in that you could pretty easily forget you ever took the feat, and probably strike the bonus it gave you off your sheet without noticing too much (actually, Toughness probably belongs here too. So 28 feats.)

And there's the stuff that *would* be useful, if the core mechanics worked differently/better- Great Cleave. Extra Turning/Improved Turning without really relevant things that work off Turning. Stunning Fist for everybody who isn't a Monk taking it as a bonus feat. Improved Overrun. Improved Counterspell. Eschew Materials. Spring Attack and Shot On The Run. Trample. Ride-By Attack. Combat Casting. Dodge and Mobility. The mechanics associated with all of these are either weak, dysfunctional, or generally irrelevant enough that it would take either dramatically more powerful feats or a system rewrite to make the associated feats useful. And now we're up to 42 feats that I would not consider worth using outside of builds carefully designed to abuse a certain ability (or that were forced into it by prestige classes, I'm lookin' at you Combat Casting and Skill Focus.)

And let's get into stuff that is actually kinda useful, but just completely fails to be worth a rare feat slot! How 'bout Endurance and Diehard? Whirlwind Attack? Run? Track (as somebody's sig says re: Rangers-"we were given a railroading tool and tricked into believing it was a class feature") Improved Feint? Widen Spell (even metamagic has a turkey in it!) Two-Weapon Defense? Point-blank Shot? Far Shot? 52 feats so far, not terribly far from a majority!

Thankfully, we're now into the realms of merely questionable feats, the stuff you take because it does something decent and you're stuck in Core so you don't have a better way to get these effects, it's required to make a poorly-supported concept work, or you just ran out of really good feats. (Note: This bit is strongly personal opinion.) This is the realm of your Weapon Focus and Specialization line. Spell X (Mastery/Focus/Penetration), Two-Weapon Fighting, and Rapid Reload also occupy this level. So that's.. 2 each for the Weapon stuff, 2 more for Spell Focus and Penetration, 3 TWF feats, and then Rapid Reload and Spell Mastery.. 13 more feats on the pile. 65 total. Well more than half the feats in the PHB are somewhere in between "Oh my gods why would you take that" and "well, I guess that's not completely terrible."

Edit: 109 feats. Forgot that Leadership is actually in a DMG sidebar. And I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised that I'm not the only person who took the time to sort all those feats out.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2011-09-11 at 05:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't think it belongs in 3.5 either - but again, this is the "silly rules" thread.
    True enough. Of course, with the availability of the Chaos Shuffle, the PHB II retraining rules, and the Psychic Reformation power, the clause also serves a purpose: If the feat cost is a balancing mechanism for stonger PrC's, then the ability to effectively remove the feat cost is a bad thing.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Have to take Improved Unarmed Strike, don't get it as a bonus feat.
    That one's at least arguable. Unarmed Swordsage says you get "the monk's unarmed strike progression". If you interpret this as gaining the "Unarmed Strike" class feature of the monk, there's no problem because the very first sentence of that gives you Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Progression" typically means just the numbers, i.e. in this case, attack bonuses and iteratives.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

21. - Top - End - #51

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    I blame Fighter. The very existence of the class devalues the worth of melee feats.[...]
    That's 59 out of PHB's 92 general feats. Then there are 17 metamagic or item creation feats.
    You has been more restrictive than me (for example I set Cleave as useful), but I assume we agree on the main point.

I miss the point of the Fighter... isn't the opposite? Bad feats meant bad Fighter?

After all, with lots of Feats of the power of Shock Trooper (that become stronger with the BAB) or lots of Feats that give new ways to attack like the ``Zhentarim Soldier'' levels the Fighter might be interesting.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"Progression" typically means just the numbers, i.e. in this case, attack bonuses and iteratives.
    That's 3.0 monk, this one just increases damage.
    My Steam profile

23. - Top - End - #53

BarbarianGuy

I said ``as DMG'' with a reason. SRD fixed the problem.

24. - Top - End - #54

Knowledge Devotion is poorly designed. It is possible to fail to identify a monster but still gain bonuses to-hit and damage against it even though you haven't got a clue what you are fighting.

25. - Top - End - #55

BarbarianGuy

Knowledge Devotion is the way of the Wizard of the Coast wanted to say:
    - Weapon Focus is wrong, yes... Use this one.

What about Travel Devotion? You can move all your movement in a Immediate Action. It means you can avoid a fall jumping midair! Or do a double jump!
    Last edited by etrpgb; 2011-09-11 at 05:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Edit: Nevermind, misread what someone said.
    Last edited by Jeraa; 2011-09-11 at 05:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Spamalot in the Playground

I said ``as DMG'' with a reason. SRD fixed the problem.
    I don't think it's fair to highlight the rules they actually fixed with errata in this thread though. Give the devil it's due, and all that.

(Besides, there's more than enough that they didn't get around to )
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

28. - Top - End - #58

Knowledge Devotion is the way of the Wizard of the Coast wanted to say:
    - Weapon Focus is wrong, yes... Use this one.
    I can't disagree, but just the way it works is poorly designed. My group uses this house rule:
    If you identify the monster (DC = 10 + HD) then you gain +1 to-hit and damage
    For every extra bit of information (for every 5 you exceed the identification DC) you gain another +1 to hit and damage.

To go with it, Ancestral Knowledge is house ruled not to be racially constrained.

As for Weapon Focus, it scales by level. At level 4, weapon focus automatically grants weapon specialization. At level 8, it automatically grants Greater Weapon Focus. At level 11, it automatically grants Greater Weapon Specialization. Then it stops.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by n00bsticker View Post
    As for Weapon Focus, it scales by level. At level 4, weapon focus automatically grants weapon specialization. At level 8, it automatically grants Greater Weapon Focus. At level 11, it automatically grants Greater Weapon Specialization. Then it stops.
    I'm guessing houserule. That doesn't fix the RAW.
    My Steam profile

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

What about Travel Devotion? You can move all your movement in a Immediate Action. It means you can avoid a fall jumping midair! Or do a double jump!
    Well. I think that's okay. It is a kind of mini-teleport. There are lots of ways to do this.
    What bugs me about most Devotion feats is that Clerics get so much more out of them. Right, because this class really needed more of a boost than any Mundane. oÔ
    But well, it's bad game balance, not dysfunctional as such.