New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Okay, redid that story posted earlier. I figured out the voice all in one go and then it just flowed. I'm not optimistic about getting this finished by the due date, but I'm going to make a show of it.

Spoiler
    Show

“I’m sorry, sir, I really am. I just don’t know what went wrong.

Because four months ago life seemed good, yes? Sun shined, moon shined back, and mail was to be delivered. And I was the best at delivering the mail, oh you bet your horseshoes, sir. The very best.

I was a mailmare in those days, see. Wasn’t exactly my talent but it was absolutely my passion. But the Equestrian Postal Service wasn’t in the best of times, sir, and things needed to go smoother than an oiled alligator across a melting glacier. And as much as I’ve tried, sir, passion don’t really smooth things no matter how much you apply. Mistakes were made. Anvils were creatively relocated. A rogue storm cloud by the name of Kaiser was rather misleading about the side effects of playtime. There was a fall, and an exile, and a lesson about friendship. But there was heat and somepony had to take the heat, sir.

They took my hat and took my mailbag and threw me out. Wasn’t them being cruel, neither. They had a three-strikes policy that they occasionally stretched into an eighty-seven strikes policy, but there were limits, sir. Limits to everything.

But that’s all excuses, sir. I’ve got more excuses where that came from. I’ve got the excuse that I was hungry. I’ve got the excuse that I was cold. I’ve got the excuse that I’ve got a little filly less than three years old. I’ve got the excuse that I was poor. I’ve got the excuse that I was scared. I’ve got the excuse that in the brain I’m not quite all there.

But all of the excuses isn’t quite the truth. The truth is that when Mr. Filthy Rich came wandering by and asked what was wrong, he listened to me, sir. And I was in a state where I needed somepony to listen to me more than anything, and listen to all my excuses, and to give me hope. Didn’t matter what he would have told me in that moment , I’d have believed it if it was something to believe in.

And Mr. Filthy Rich didn’t come across as a bad pony. He was a little filthy, yes, a little rich, sure, but he seemed nice enough. He had a charming grin, sir, so charming that I’d believe it if his special talent was said to be smiling. And he had pictures of his daughter, and I didn’t think anypony who’s daughter looked that sweet could be all bad.

So I asked him, “Mr. Filthiest, sir,” and he gave me a bit of a glare so I hurried right on, “What business does a business pony have with an out-of-work mailmare?”

And Mr. Rich said to me, “Zap apples, my dear! They grow wild in the Everfree, don’t you see? And while I have to pay Apples for apples, these apples are free! I’ll need a partner for this business adventure, and you’re a perfect fit (and expendible, I’d wager).”

He was offering employment, and employment I lacked, but that comes back to the excuses from before. The truth of the matter, sir, is really that I’m not a very clever pony, and I thought Mr. Rich was a really nice pony with a really nice smile. He’d talked to me when I was down and needed a friend and I wanted to help him see his plan to the end. I did it for a smile, sir. No lies needed.

We set out immediately towards the Everfree, to see if it was as Mr. Rich had heard. I was kind of nervous because Mr. Rich had told me to look out for monsters, but my eyes kept slipping, sir. I tried to tell Mr. Rich but I couldn’t quite figure out the words to say that I was occasionally a bit, well, derpy. So I just kept turning around to stare at him, well, sort of, in the hopes he’d realise it was a serious medical condition that might impede my duties as Adventuring Assistant and, most importantly, that it wasn’t my fault. I think he just found it creepy.

But we were lucky and we didn’t run into any monsters. We didn’t walk into any neither, sir. We just meandered into the Zap Apple grove in the middle of the woodland without right nothing stopping us. And it was just like Mr. Rich had said – Zap Apples everywhere, without them being even in season!

“Ha!” said Mr. Rich, “The legends were true! The Zap Apples here are always in bloom! No more waiting! No more seasons! No more omens and signals and nonsensical reasons! The harvest is here, Derpy my dear, and it’s ours for the taking so show no fear!”

And he picked up the axe he’d tied into his tie, and he chopped a tree down just like that. He gathered the apples and threw them into a bag, but by the time he was done the bag was full. He stared at the bag and then he stared at the trees, like he was trying to figure how he could fit the entire forest into his saddlebags.

And it was at that moment when somepony started shouting at us, and it was at about that moment that I momentarily forgot how to be a brave pony and accidentally hid behind a rock. And then a terrible mare emerged from the forest. She was striped like some terrible fae, and she was eating her hay in the evilest way.

“I am Zecora,” said she, “and I speak for the trees! What pony are you who chops down these trees just as you please?”

And Filthy said, “Why the devil are you speaking in rhyme? Speak normal for once and stop wasting my time!”

“If your time is so precious,” quoth Zecora, “that is because it is short! Away you should flee, or by Timber Wolves be caught!”

And it was a terrible sight, a wretched sight, a sight so scary I was glad I only really saw it with one eye. It was like the trees came alive, branch into fang and root into claw. I saw them start towards us, and that was all that I saw.

Mr. Rich started running, and I thought that there was something to that. So I bolted along with him, sir, and ran as fast as my hooves could carry me, for as long as my lungs would allow me. I’m not normally one for running, sir, but when the trees come at you with fangs and claws I’m one to make an exception.

Feedback!

Spoiler
    Show
    So... Are you still trying to keep the rhyming thing going? Because there's enough of it in there that I can't believe it isn't intentional, but it's a bit distracting since it's intermittent.

"But all of the excuses isn’t quite the truth"
    isn't needs to be aren't

"He was a little filthy, yes, a little rich, sure"
    I might swap "filthy" and "rich" just to shift the emphasis a bit. Or change one of the "little" to "more than a little." However you prefer that line.

"but my eyes kept slipping"
    I might change "eyes" to "eye" since it's Derpy

“If your time is so precious,” quoth Zecora, “that is because it is short! Away you should flee, or by Timber Wolves be caught!”
    Is this supposed to rhyme? It doesn't, but it's close enough that I can't tell

Mostly nitpicks, the sometimes-rhyming is the only thing that really bothered me.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

We're on 4chan now? Hooray, I guess. Wouldn't say it's the definitive moment in the fandom, though. I mean, having the fandom is a pretty big achievement for My Little Pony, no?

Isn't 4chan kind of, I dunno, skeevy, too? Like, er, never mind.

Episode speculation stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We're going to see a donkey! Yay!

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

I assure you Deadly its less.

Generally a post is forgotten as quickly as it is made and there are hundreds of hundreds of posts in a second. You operate in a giant nameless and faceless crowd. Its why the place breeds meme's, because normal communication simply doesn't function well. Even hackers don't feel up to the effort to track down any particular "cancer" because there will just be some new entirely different poster doing the same thing.

(And 4chan has been complaining about various 'cancers' since it was born)

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I assure you Deadly its less.

Generally a post is forgotten as quickly as it is made and there are hundreds of hundreds of posts in a second. You operate in a giant nameless and faceless crowd. Its why the place breeds meme's, because normal communication simply doesn't function well. Even hackers don't feel up to the effort to track down any particular "cancer" because there will just be some new entirely different poster doing the same thing.

(And 4chan has been complaining about various 'cancers' since it was born)
    I'm not thinking of a targeted attack, singling out a particular person. That would certainly be much easier in a different kind of setting. I'm thinking of dropping something and hoping that someone, anyone will randomly stumble across it. And if you keep that up, dropping things all over the place, it doesn't matter how quickly it's gone, it's pretty much assured that at least someone will get hit.

That's how spam works. Send out a gazillion mails and it won't matter that 99.99% of it is wasted, because it didn't cost you a dime and 0.01% of a gazillion is still plenty. Here you probably don't even have to make a gazillion posts, because even a few posts will stand some chance of being seen by at least a few people. Maybe not many, but a few is enough.

We were talking about the new board for bronies and how some people were worried that it was a trap meant to mass-ban bronies. My point was that IF it's a trap, getting banned is probably the least worrisome scenario. Even if it's legitimate, even if moot himself has no ill intentions someone else there might decide to take advantage of having a lot of bronies in one place.

5. - Top - End - #1445

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    ...Even if it's legitimate, even if moot himself has no ill intentions someone else there might decide to take advantage of having a lot of bronies in one place.
    Well, if they were real bronies, no troll or spam attack would faze them. Deflect, absorb, love and tolerate. The problem is a lot of supposed "bronies" on 4chan are more like pony proponents (proponyents?), and to make matters worse there are several distinct varieties of these proponyents that were previously separate, and don't really mix well. At least, that's what I understood from scanning the comments on the matter. Trollbombs dropped in the midst of such a mixed-values collection of people are going to be pretty effective.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Barbarian in the Playground

I know that 4chan is like our birthplace, but I don't really have want to go there.

This place is much better.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Well, if they were real bronies, no troll or spam attack would faze them. Deflect, absorb, love and tolerate. The problem is a lot of supposed "bronies" on 4chan are more like pony proponents (proponyents?), and to make matters worse there are several distinct varieties of these proponyents that were previously separate, and don't really mix well. At least, that's what I understood from scanning the comments on the matter. Trollbombs dropped in the midst of such a mixed-values collection of people are going to be pretty effective.
    I know trolling shouldn't worry anypony. Just shrug and move on is what we do. Or should do at least.

I was talking about an actual hacking attempt, to either cause damage to unsuspecting bronies' computers, or steal their personal information. I don't know how likely it is, but it certainly seems a more worrying thought than simple trolls or bans.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

Oh it might be a trap by the mods for sure.

The trap though is... they ban all the IP addresses that post there, because that's all they have.

As for outside parties, you more at risk for going to EqD.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    As for outside parties, you more at risk for going to EqD.
    I suspect otherwise.

10. - Top - End - #1450

I know trolling shouldn't worry anypony. Just shrug and move on is what we do. Or should do at least.

I was talking about an actual hacking attempt, to either cause damage to unsuspecting bronies' computers, or steal their personal information. I don't know how likely it is, but it certainly seems a more worrying thought than simple trolls or bans.
    Ah, hacking attacks. Well... you know, there are probably a lot of more dangerous places to be visiting, especially pony-related. 4chan is still largely a board of anonymous people, and those who post in one given section still probably come from all over the board. Hackers picking out addresses to attack from visitors or posters there run the risk (well, assuming they do risk something) of attacking people "on their side". Even if their goal is to somehow damage the reputation of the pony board, having such a pool of targets means the damage is inevitably going to be spread out across the whole of 4chan, which might undermine their efforts. Much better places to seek targets would be boards like ponychan, or sites like ponybooru, or even the various fiction-collecting places like fimfiction or even EqD. In this regard, the largely anonymous nature of 4chan is an individual poster's best defense.

That said, I'm still not going to visit it for any reason other than idle curiosity, and I'm certainly not planning on posting anything there. 4chan is like a steaming, bubbling cauldron of unhealthy looking goo. You tend not to care what wondrous things are made using the stuff that's brewing, because stuffing your hand (or face) in there immediately strikes you as a Bad Idea(tm).
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Petition: Hasbro, WE WANT ACCURATE FiM PLUSHIES!

It's not that far-fetched.

To wit: in the latest MLP collection, there will be a pony named Vinyl Scratch (or DJ Pon-3, depending on who you ask, I say it's her stage name). She has been on the show for a grand total of two seconds. The only reason she's known is because us bronies though she was a cool character and latched on to her. Now, she's an official toy.

So in reply to the OP, there's really not much of a revolution to have. The bronies are a recognized audience for Hasbro. If you want them to make plushies, it's easier to convey that in a channel they'll actually monitor, because there's a chance that it'll happen.

Oh, and there's a pony thread.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm nothing if not completely unknowing of how 4chan works, but I find it a bit suspicious that the new board is not among the links on the front page.

And wasn't there a /fur/ board once which basically was a "collect all the furries and ban them all" thing? Or is that just a rumour?

I cannot believe that moot would sound so apologetic if this was actually legit. My bits are on this being a big pony trap.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Ah, hacking attacks. Well... you know, there are probably a lot of more dangerous places to be visiting, especially pony-related. 4chan is still largely a board of anonymous people, and those who post in one given section still probably come from all over the board. Hackers picking out addresses to attack from visitors or posters there run the risk (well, assuming they do risk something) of attacking people "on their side". Even if their goal is to somehow damage the reputation of the pony board, having such a pool of targets means the damage is inevitably going to be spread out across the whole of 4chan, which might undermine their efforts. Much better places to seek targets would be boards like ponychan, or sites like ponybooru, or even the various fiction-collecting places like fimfiction or even EqD. In this regard, the largely anonymous nature of 4chan is an individual poster's best defense.
    Fair point about ponychan and ponibooru, I suppose. Though EqD does have the advantage that it's rather limited what a random visitor/user can post there. As a commenter there you're limited to plain text and links. Sure, blogger could have bugs that might be exploitable, but any site might have bugs and all other things being equal the limitations of comments on EqD does make things harder. Specifically no image posting, unless you trick Seth into posting it for you on the front page I suppose, but even that would have certain limitations (on a board like this one which allows posting images from arbitrary addresses I can easily snoop IPs from people by simply posting a well crafted image (I never would do such a thing ), I doubt I could pull that trick off on EqD). I believe ponibooru has the same limitation, but I have no knowledge of how ponychan works.

Anyway, it all probably depends on motivations and goals. If your goal is to hit a specific person, brony or otherwise, then 4chan is not the place that's for sure. If you want to hit bronies specifically but don't care who in particular, then I suppose maybe ponychan is a better alternative in many ways. However, if your goal is to hit random people, not necessarily bronies, then 4chan might be the perfect place, and I suspect 4chan is exactly the kind of place where people who would have that kind of "goal" would tend to be found and tend to be most active (that's not saying anything about 4chan visitors in general, only that a possibly tiny minority of its posters might be such people). And if the "popular target of the day" happens to be bronies, their first stop might be this new board because it's close by and all that.

What I suspect is that these certain elements of 4chan are rather... impulsive. They wouldn't go after ponychan because that's too planned in a sense; you go after ponychan if you have some actual motivation other than just random lulz. For those random, impulsive things 4chan is probably more likely to be a target.

That's what I suspect anyway. Probably a lot of wild speculation, but anyway... maybe I'm wrong.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding the hacking conversation, I'm no expert, but I've been doing work recently on an article that is entirely focused on hacking, countermeasures, and the types of attacks that go on, so I feel like I have something to say about it.

First, I think Soras Teva Gee is basically right. 4chan is no more dangerous in terms of random hacks than anywhere else. In fact, most of the random hacks occur just by connecting your computer to an internet cable/WiFi network and if you did turn off your firewall and just leave an internet connection on, you'd likely get hacked within the hour. However, firewalls are generally pretty good (unless people find a bug in windows firewall, in which case Microsoft usually freaks out and patches it super fast). You're mostly in danger from programs that trick the user into giving permissions such as clicking a bad link, a phishing e-mail, or in some cases legitimate websites getting hacked. However, for that last one, my understanding is that the most commonly hacked legitimate websites are actually public universities and other .edu sites, not places like 4chan.

In fact, I pity whoever tried to hack the 4chan site itself. It would go...badly...for that person.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Petition: Hasbro, WE WANT ACCURATE FiM PLUSHIES!

i have to agree with the OP
    this week i went to buy my sister a MiP doll for her birthday and there was baby cheerilee WTF?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

16. - Top - End - #1456

Out of date web browser plugins, especially Flash and PDF are also a very easy way to get hacked. I recommend:
    • Keep your plugins up to date. Use Plugin Check if you're using Firefox.
    • Disable plugins that you don't need. Java included.
    • Install Flashblock or similar so you only get the Flash you want.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Regarding the hacking conversation, I'm no expert, but I've been doing work recently on an article that is entirely focused on hacking, countermeasures, and the types of attacks that go on, so I feel like I have something to say about it.

First, I think Soras Teva Gee is basically right. 4chan is no more dangerous in terms of random hacks than anywhere else. In fact, most of the random hacks occur just by connecting your computer to an internet cable/WiFi network and if you did turn off your firewall and just leave an internet connection on, you'd likely get hacked within the hour. However, firewalls are generally pretty good (unless people find a bug in windows firewall, in which case Microsoft usually freaks out and patches it super fast). You're mostly in danger from programs that trick the user into giving permissions such as clicking a bad link, a phishing e-mail, or in some cases legitimate websites getting hacked. However, for that last one, my understanding is that the most commonly hacked legitimate websites are actually public universities and other .edu sites, not places like 4chan.

In fact, I pity whoever tried to hack the 4chan site itself. It would go...badly...for that person.
    It's all about intention, as I said above. Most attacks (worldwide, statistically speaking) are probably targeted, they have some motivation behind them. Like, attacking some company or government or organization. In this I suspect individuals are rarely targets unless it's as an employee at the actual target or the like. Either that or it's criminals trying to trick you out of your money, but they certainly wouldn't target 4chan I'm sure.

The attacks I imagine aren't really motivated by anything but an impulse to have fun. Maybe just to see if you can, so you throw out some nets and catch a few random fish, then you let them go and they never realize anything happened at all.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised (though rather ashamed) if all my personal files can be found on some kid's computer half-way around the globe. All because he could, and I will never know. Or just maybe I will one day, but hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Out of date web browser plugins, especially Flash and PDF are also a very easy way to get hacked. I recommend:
    • Keep your plugins up to date. Use Plugin Check if you're using Firefox.
    • Disable plugins that you don't need. Java included.
    • Install Flashblock or similar so you only get the Flash you want.
    Good advice

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Colossus in the Playground

You're buying into this hilariously idealised version of 4chan, where Anon is all-powerful and viruses swarm like locusts.

If 4chan was capable of hacking thousands of bronies' data using only what they'd posted on 4chan (i.e. text and a captcha), then the internet would be a haunted wasteland, inhabited only by flaming ghosts, because they'd use that on everyone and everything all the time and for no reason.

The places to worry about are the places where you submit your credit card information.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

You're buying into this hilariously idealised version of 4chan, where Anon is all-powerful and viruses swarm like locusts.

If 4chan was capable of hacking thousands of bronies' data using only what they'd posted on 4chan (i.e. text and a captcha), then the internet would be a haunted wasteland, inhabited only by flaming ghosts, because they'd use that on everyone and everything all the time and for no reason.

The places to worry about are the places where you submit your credit card information.
    I'm kinda undecided about Anonymous and their ilk. It's all too vague, because any bunch of fools can call themselves Anonymous and maybe get away with it too. I am not terribly impressed with the majority of what they pull off, at least the stuff that is reported in the media. DDoS attacks? Gimme a break.

What I do think is fairly certain is that Anonymous is a very broad and varied bunch, pretty much a catch-all title. The large majority are probably script kiddies who just found some cool tool on the net and now run around like they know what they're doing. They'll likely get a visit from the authorities soon enough. But I'm quite sure there are a number of serious hackers who associate with the name "Anonymous" for one reason or another (I might question the logic in that) and do pull off major things. The problem is just that anything major takes time, sometimes a lot of time, which is one reason we don't hear about it as much as the rest.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Firbolg in the Playground

And, of course, "companies" that want you to provide info vi email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    Hello. Are you longing for a pony stuffed animal that is accurate to the show? Do you wish hasbro would begin selling plushies that look like our favorite ponies? If yes, put your name and pony of choice! OUR REVOLUTION WILL CONVINCE THEM TO CREATE THEM! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!
    I suspect we have had some thread merging going on? Good stuff.
    I myself would like more accurate pony plush. That's why I'm trying to get Ido to come out of the brony closet!

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    We're on 4chan now? Hooray, I guess. Wouldn't say it's the definitive moment in the fandom, though. I mean, having the fandom is a pretty big achievement for My Little Pony, no?

Isn't 4chan kind of, I dunno, skeevy, too? Like, er, never mind.

Episode speculation stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We're going to see a donkey! Yay!
    4chan is, supposedly, where pony stuff started actually.
    Heck, if rumors are true that's where Thanqol was exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    I know that 4chan is like our birthplace, but I don't really have want to go there.

This place is much better.
    *nods agreeably*

I'm kinda undecided about Anonymous and their ilk. It's all too vague, because any bunch of fools can call themselves Anonymous and maybe get away with it too. I am not terribly impressed with the majority of what they pull off, at least the stuff that is reported in the media. DDoS attacks? Gimme a break.

What I do think is fairly certain is that Anonymous is a very broad and varied bunch, pretty much a catch-all title. The large majority are probably script kiddies who just found some cool tool on the net and now run around like they know what they're doing. They'll likely get a visit from the authorities soon enough. But I'm quite sure there are a number of serious hackers who associate with the name "Anonymous" for one reason or another (I might question the logic in that) and do pull off major things. The problem is just that anything major takes time, sometimes a lot of time, which is one reason we don't hear about it as much as the rest.
    I don't thin "Anonymous" is even a group in the same way it is reported.
    News outlets present anonymous like they are a group who all qualified for and signed up for some club. That's just not how it works.

Anonymous has no hierarchy or order. They probably don't even know who each other are most of the time. "anonymous" is about the same as saying "I'm a stranger". Well, duh!

22. - Top - End - #1462

On the subject of security and browsers I'd like to make one friendly remind to those that use firefox:

noScript. The netscape legacy browsers (which Firefox and chrome are) don't have the millions of dollars in budget like IE has. Microsoft for all it's faults plugs holes fast. Meanwhile the "less hackers attack me if I use not-IE" argument is pretty well invalid. Consider the fact that the netscape family (irony here, really) has overtaken IE in terms of market share. Firefox itself is known for being something of a soft target out of the box.

So yah, it may be annoying at first, but install a script blocker and operate strictly on a whitelist basis.

edit- It's come to my attention that "Sweetie-bot" is more popular than her being a dictionary. I find that rather amusing, and my favorite line regarding this is:

"Aren't you worried the fashion police will come and beat you with their fabulous batons?"
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-02-17 at 05:19 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't thin "Anonymous" is even a group in the same way it is reported.
    News outlets present anonymous like they are a group who all qualified for and signed up for some club. That's just not how it works.

Anonymous has no hierarchy or order. They probably don't even know who each other are most of the time. "anonymous" is about the same as saying "I'm a stranger". Well, duh!
    It's just a title. An ideal, more like it, although everyone probably disagrees about the details of that ideal. It's kinda like "brony", in fact, something anyone can claim but not everyone may agree that they deserve the title.

Anon probably has a lot of small groups that communicate with each other, but have no knowledge or control of the larger "whole". And some of these smaller component groups may actually be competent, even agreeable in their ideals. But that says nothing about the larger whole.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Anonymous does have some ideals and beliefs that define them as a group though. I'm not that hot at explaining this one, but I'll let "Extra Credits" pick up my slack for me. It's only 6 minutes long and quite informative.
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/anonymous
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

4chan is, supposedly, where pony stuff started actually.
    Heck, if rumors are true that's where Thanqol was exposed.
    My brain parsed that exactly as if you'd said "...and that's where Spiderman was bit".
    Truth resists simplicity.

26. - Top - End - #1466

Forget on line, you're way more likely to lose your credit card information by swiping it into a reader that someone unscrupulous has set to save and forward information.

Heck, every time you give your card to a waiter at a restaurant you're betting that he doesn't have a smartphone with a magnetic reader and a loose sense of ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    OIt's come to my attention that "Sweetie-bot" is more popular than her being a dictionary. I find that rather amusing, and my favorite line regarding this is:

"Aren't you worried the fashion police will come and beat you with their fabulous batons?"
    THE FUN LEVELS WILL BE AT MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY!

I AM UNINSTALLING YOU FROM MY HEART DRIVE!

MY PRIMARY FUNCTION... IS FAILURE.

Sweetie-bot is fantastic. I can't wait to see what FiW does with Luna Eclipsed for the next episode
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    edit- It's come to my attention that "Sweetie-bot" is more popular than her being a dictionary. I find that rather amusing, and my favorite line regarding this is:

INCOMING MORTAR

Yeah, SweetieBot is awesome, and so is her song.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Sweetie-bot is fantastic. I can't wait to see what FiW does with Luna Eclipsed for the next episode
    Oh, Luna Eclipsed is next? That'll be awesome.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2012-02-17 at 05:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1468

I'm still waiting to see what demon-possessed Sweetie will be like on the other abridged series. Taz the geometry demon ftw >.>
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Troll in the Playground

About thread name idea someone submitted and I loved - this should say it all:

Spoiler
    Show

(yeah, managed to find one pic after all. Go me!)

I only wonder, should it be "No one expects Sponish Inquisition!" or replace inquisition with Pinquisition? ^^"

Or was there a better idea I missed?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

30. - Top - End - #1470

I thought it was going to be "Strangely obsessed with jelly" or "(still) strangely obsessed with ponies" based on the discussion a couple pages back, but it's up to you