New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Can any spell hurt it?

There is no such thing as a fair fight when it comes to fighting a CR 45 monster that has nearly 400 to spell resistance and is only weak vs sonic damage, and instant death effects. The only thing I can think of is to take the 3.0 fatespinner class to pump the save up beyond anything resembling reason and either find a way to get rid of the spell resistance or hope for a nat 20 on the roll

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

epic lvl entropomancer with a sphere (or a few) of Annihilation. At epic lvls im sure you will have high enough int that it will be easy to control it at like 50 or so ft per turn i highly doubt the giant target that is this thing can realy dodge that sphere

Oh you want a spell not a spell caster who can kill it
    Check out my horrible homebrews

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karsh View Post
    50th level Wizard who casts this...

Soul Rend
    Epic Spell
    Necromancy [Death]
    Seed: Slay
    Spellcraft DC: 147
    Components: V, S, XP
    Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
    Target: All Creatures within 200' radius
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Save: Fortitude Partial
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Factors: Slay seed (25 DC), 1 action casting time (+20), Change from Target to Area (+10), Increase spell's saving throw DC by 50 (+100), Affects 800 HD of creatures (+72), Increase Area by 1000% (+40), +340 CL to overcome spell resistance (+680), Burn 70,000 EXP (-700), 100d6 Backlash (-100)

Soul Reaver instantly snuffs out the life force of 800 HD worth of creatures within a 200 foot radius unless they make a successful Fortitude save vs. DC 70 + relevant ability modifier. On a successful save they instead take 3d6+20 points of damage.

XP Cost
    70,000 EXP

A Thirty-fivefold Rod of Excellent Magic will run you 22,750,000 GP, but I am pretty sure a 50th level character's WBL is above that.

There are infinitely more ways that a 50th level caster could find to kill this thing, but if you want it in one spell, then there you go. By 50th level, your caster's modifier to spell DCs should be in the 20s at the lowest, forcing a fail from this guy 95% of the time, and it automatically overcomes his spell resistance without specifically targeting him.
    Max of 20 000 exp burn for a -200.
    "Burn 100 XP during casting (max 20,000 XP) -1"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    epic lvl entropomancer with a sphere (or a few) of Annihilation. At epic lvls im sure you will have high enough int that it will be easy to control it at like 50 or so ft per turn i highly doubt the giant target that is this thing can realy dodge that sphere

Oh you want a spell not a spell caster who can kill it
    A Sphere of Annihilation is considered a Minor Artifact. You cannot count on possessing one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J_Muller View Post
    Alternatively, just planeshift in Donald Trump so he can fire it.
    It's immune to fire, weren't you listening?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

There are always telekinesis with colossal+ bolts, and also shrink item and falling object damage rules ... but lets ignore that for a moment.

Straight epic wizard, nothing fancy. Automatic quicken 3 times and multispell 17 times. Cast a couple of timestops and use them to cast searing spell (Sandstorm, burns through immunity) Fire Seeds, then after the timestops throw them all at the monster with telekinesis. No SR, no Save ... lots of pain.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

By level 50, couldn't a wizard just blow up the planet and win by default?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Got it! Eschew Materials feat + Major Creation.

There's no book value listed for either Osmium or it's antimatter counterpart. Just summon Anti-Osmium to the limit of your casting ability in contact with the critter. (Point of order: given an Earth-equivalent density, and assuming it has the DR of rock at all points, it takes a 17th level caster to summon enough Anti-Osmium to fragment the planet. Imagine what a 50th could do.)

EDIT:
    Osmium is 22610 kg/cubic meter. A 50th level caster summons 50 cubic feet, or a cube 3.7 feet to a side. This converts over to be roughly 15.25 cubic meters, for a final density of 344,802 kg. 1 gram of antimatter produces roughly a 43 kiloton reaction (doubling once the matter is added into the equation, so the detonation of 1g of AM in contact with 1g of matter is 86kt). We have 344,802,500 grams of anti-osmium, for a total yield of 29,653,015,000,000 kilotons. (these are metric tons of 1,000kg each, for a total of 29,653,015,000,000,000 kiloGRAMS of TNT) 1 lb of TNT does 3d6 damage, or, converting over, 0.454 kg of TNT does 3d6 damage. So, dividing 29,653,015,000,000,000 by 0.454 yields 65,315,011,013,215,859 increments of 3d6. So, multiply by three, and get 195,945,033,039,647,577d6 damage.

Congratulations, you've just done 195 quadrillion damage minimum. Your average damage is 685,807,615,638,766,519 hp.

685 quadrillion hp damage. That ought to blow through most DR. And it's not fire damage (even though TNT is usually thought of that way). It's just plain old force damage.
    Last edited by Swordguy; 2007-02-13 at 01:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

energy substitution a sonic acid arrow?

just asking, but is that monstrosity a pseudonatural tarrasque?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Gate to Positive energy plane, sphere of annihilation, etc.

If you're going for sonic damage, you're going about it wrong. Check the Douglas character in this thread, substitute sonic for cold, and win.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

11. - Top - End - #41

Moonbow won't work without overcoming the massive spell resistance on the creature. That's why people are going for the orb spell.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    It's immune to fire, weren't you listening?

Hmmm...

Is it immune to toupee?
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    stuff about anti-Osmium
    Catgirl: *dies*
    Alternatively, summon an epic Hulking Hurler to throw the universe at it.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Chocobo View Post
    Catgirl: *dies*
    What? I hate CGs anyway. Can you think of a better way to do more non-DM-fiat hp of damage that he can't ignore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

Swordguy, you killed so many catgirls with that post it's not even funny. I shouldn't have to say any more, but I'll repeat one more time: I'm not looking for cheese.

Armads--nice catch. It's not just a psuedonatural tarrasque though, it's a psuedonatural half dragon monster of legend spellwarped tarrasque with some extra hit dice.

Spheres of Annihilation are fun and all, but no artifacts, just spells.

PinkysBrain--Searing spell sounds promising, I'll check it out.

Also, for all those people who think a meleer would be a great idea, it's not, unless it has more reach that Mr. Monster. Obviously that's perfectly achievable at level 50, but once again: I'm looking for Spells

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Got it! Eschew Materials feat + Major Creation.

There's no book value listed for either Osmium or it's antimatter counterpart. Just summon Anti-Osmium to the limit of your casting ability in contact with the critter. (Point of order: given an Earth-equivalent density, and assuming it has the DR of rock at all points, it takes a 17th level caster to summon enough Anti-Osmium to fragment the planet. Imagine what a 50th could do.)

EDIT:
    Osmium is 22610 kg/cubic meter. A 50th level caster summons 50 cubic feet, or a cube 3.7 feet to a side. This converts over to be roughly 15.25 cubic meters, for a final density of 344,802 kg. 1 gram of antimatter produces roughly a 43 kiloton reaction (doubling once the matter is added into the equation, so the detonation of 1g of AM in contact with 1g of matter is 86kt). We have 344,802,500 grams of anti-osmium, for a total yield of 29,653,015,000,000 kilotons. (these are metric tons of 1,000kg each, for a total of 29,653,015,000,000,000 kiloGRAMS of TNT) 1 lb of TNT does 3d6 damage, or, converting over, 0.454 kg of TNT does 3d6 damage. So, dividing 29,653,015,000,000,000 by 0.454 yields 65,315,011,013,215,859 increments of 3d6. So, multiply by three, and get 195,945,033,039,647,577d6 damage.

Congratulations, you've just done 195 quadrillion damage minimum. Your average damage is 685,807,615,638,766,519 hp.

685 quadrillion hp damage. That ought to blow through most DR. And it's not fire damage (even though TNT is usually thought of that way). It's just plain old force damage.

I feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of catgirls suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

17. - Top - End - #47

It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Would earthquake work? Could be pulled out via wish, so I'm sure epic level casting can solve this.

Fly way the heck out of its reach, and earthquake over and over again. It'll eventually hit the 1/4 it, and then it'll eventually fail its save. Get an item of it or something.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Whats its ac? What is its Hps?

At this CR you can just have an incantatrix/halruann elder that stacks metamagic with alot of metamagic reducers (Incantatrix, Halruann Elder, Improved Metamagic Epic Feat, Arcane Thesis, maybe Practical Metamagic) and multispell. Use Elven Spell Lore to make the damage force or sonic.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

I fail to see why you want to make a spellcaster use only pre-epic stuff to win versus a CR 45 monster, disallowing any cheese. Obviously, anything capable of this is cheese !
    Why should I use a sig ?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

2nd Ed. Spell Lower Resistance! Times 10!
    Now you can kill it...

Mirror of Opposition + Shapechange + Break the Mirrror. Grats, you just got a 50% chance of slaying your target outright, and if not, you're the same thing it is with spellcasting. At least, I think that's how it works. You win.

Or...

There *is* one dirty little secret about warlocks. You know that rule about not teleporting into enemy squares? It (arguably) doesn't apply to warlocks due to wording in the PHB. Get yourself polymorphed into a working cuisinart and warp into its vital areas. Game over.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2007-02-13 at 03:50 AM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vik View Post
    I fail to see why you want to make a spellcaster use only pre-epic stuff to win versus a CR 45 monster, disallowing any cheese. Obviously, anything capable of this is cheese !
    ...Yeah, I don't get the point of this. This is pretty much "look at the awesome unkillable monster I made!". And "oh, by the way, that trick that kills it? Not allowed."...

I don't see the point of this thread, really.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #53

No, it still applies to warlocks. There's no wording trick that negates it.

Even immersion in acid wouldn't get through this thing's 105 acid resistance.

Someone mentioned Energy Substituted (sonic) Acid Arrows, those would hurt it.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

24. - Top - End - #54

Really epic spellcasting is still quite feasible in this scenario. Your spellcaster just needs to planeshift to his personal plane where time flows arbitrarily fast. Then you research your special spell, summon what minions you need to sacrifice spell slots, and return to destroy the bastard. Ta-da, mission complete. Tea and medals all around.
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey... he's not immune to nonlethal damage.

Invisible Beguiler? You can ignore SR with cloaked casting, so it's just a matter of finding any illusion/enchantment spell that does force, sonic, nonlethal, or untyped damage.

And for kicks, start off with a few doses of glitterdust whether or not you're a beguiler. No SR, blindness is happy.

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"It has Spell Resistance 385"
    That's a typo, right?

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    Hey... he's not immune to nonlethal damage.

Invisible Beguiler? You can ignore SR with cloaked casting, so it's just a matter of finding any illusion/enchantment spell that does force, sonic, nonlethal, or untyped damage.
    It seems like (Greater) Shadow Evocation would be the obvious choice, it'll take a hell of a long time to get through the hit points with damage that low though, since the save is probably sucessful every time.

It seems like the biggest problem is the whole 'it's a tarrasque' thing, since you also have to worry about getting enough damage through each round to keep that Regeneration down.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems like the biggest problem is the whole 'it's a tarrasque' thing, since you also have to worry about getting enough damage through each round to keep that Regeneration down.
    Perhaps Overwhelm? 20 castings of overwhelm should result in a downed beastie. At 50th level, that's probably not too difficult to accomplish.

Edit: Nope... Overwhelm is mind-affecting. Curses.
    Last edited by Kantolin; 2007-02-13 at 05:26 AM.

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Roderick - no, it's not.

That thing's a beast; I can't even imagine what kind of craziness it'll take to bring it down. The sonic stuff is a good start, though if possible I'd also go for working some of that sonic damage into Vile. Evil Archmage with the metamagic feat that converts 1/2 the damage the spell deals into Vile damage anyone? Let's see it regenerate/fast heal that!

30. - Top - End - #60

BarbarianGuy

ooh! maybe this might work:

empowered maximized energy piercing cold cold fire seeds, summon a huge air elemental (or something that has enough reach), move over, drop the seeds, BOOM!

dealing
    1d8+50 per seed, reflex half, no SR.