New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [PrC] High Templar (PEACH)

Alright, here is my High Templar PrC, as proposed in the thread for creating the Protoss races. I still have to add the descriptions of each of the class skills, but otherwise, I believe everything is in place... suggestions about the mechanics would be good.

High Templar
    (In shock and disarray) An illusion? Are you afraid to face me, Templar? - Infested Kerrigan.
    So long as you continue to be so predictable, O Queen, I need not face you at all. You are your own worst enemy. - Executor Tassadar.

High Templars represent those warriors who have reached an inner plateau within themselves and look to expand their arsenal to better server the Khala. They are often generals or leaders amongst their warrior people, leading the charge and providing inspiration to those below them. Despite not being as physically hardy as if they had remained the martial course, high templar strike even more fear into their enemies with their great psionic power, devastating in its might.
    Because of its origins, Psionic Warriors are most likely to follow this course once they feel they have reached their martial peak. It is not unknown for Psions to follow this path in order to make up for their poor close-combat abilities.
    NPC high templar are most likely to be leaders in their communities, giving orders to normal soldiers.
    Hit Die: d6.

Spoiler
    Show

Protoss High Templar. Picture by Tanathiel on DeviantArt.

Requirements
    To qualify to become a High Templar, a character must follow all of the following criteria.
    Base Attack Bonus: +5.
    Psionics: Able to manifest 3rd level powers.
    Race: High Protoss.

Class Skills
    The high templar's class skills (and key ability for each skill) are Athletics (Str), Autohypnosis* (Wis), Concentration* (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Psionics)* (Int), Listen (Wis), Psicraft* (Int), Sense Motive (Cha), Spot (Wis), Use Psionic Device* (Cha).
    * See new skills and expanded uses of existing skills in Chapter 3 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook. See Chapter 4 of the The Player's Handbook for other skill descriptions.
    Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

High Templar
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Powers

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Lesser Hallucination|+1 level of existing manifesting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Psionic Shock|+1 level of existing manifesting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Psionic Blast|+1 level of existing manifesting class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Greater Hallucination|+1 level of existing manifesting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Lesser Psionic Storm|--
    6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Expanded Reservoir|+1 level of existing manifesting class

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Perfected Hallucination|+1 level of existing manifesting class

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Greater Psionic Storm|+1 level of existing manifesting class

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Perfected Psionic Blast|+1 level of existing manifesting class

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Archon Knowledge|-- [/table]

Class Features
    All the following are class features of the high templar prestige class.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: High Templar gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
    Powers Known: At every level indicated on the table, the character gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of high templar to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
    If a character has more than one manifesting class before he became a high templar, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of high templar for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers know, and manifester level.
    Lesser Hallucination: This ability is identical to the spell Project Image with the following differences. The image created can be a duplicate of any single object within 25 ft of the caster. The image has hitpoints equal to 1/3 the copied object's hitpoint total. Only one hallucination can be created by a high templar at any one time, and it lasts a number of rounds equal to twice the high templar's manifester level, or until its hit points reach zero. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to 1 + the high templar's Wis modifier.
    Psionic Shock: As a full-round action, a high templar can manifest the beginnings of a psionic storm, in the form of a single psionic bolt. This attack does 1/2 class level 1d8 + Wis modifier of damage, to a number of creatures equal to the high templar's Wis modifier. The high templar chooses the initial creature to be targeted, within a distance of 25ft + 5ft / 2 manifester levels, and the bolt jumps to the nearest creature that hasn't already been targeted by this ability. The adjacent creature must be within 10ft of the initial creature.
    Psionic Blast: Once per round, as a standard action, a high templar may manifest psionic powers to attack a single creature within 25ft + 5ft / class level. The attack deals damage equal to class level d6 + Wis modifier. This is resolved as a ranged touch attack.
    Greater Hallucination: As the high templar grows in power, their Hallucination grows in realism. The image becomes solid and can no longer be moved through. Additionally, it is granted a rudimentary intelligence, allowing it to move on its own will, acting as whatever it is a copy of. Its hit point total increases to 2/3 of the hitpoint total of its copied target. The hallucination can now speak Common believably. This ability supersedes Lesser Hallucination.
    Lesser Psionic Storm: As a full-round action, a high templar may designate a square withing 25ft + 5ft / class level. The area within a 15ft radius of this point is wracked by psionic lightning, damaging all creatures in it. All creatures, including allies, within this radius take damage equal to the high templar's manifester level in d4. A successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 manifester level + Wis modifier) halves this damage. The area is affected for a number of rounds equal class level. Once cast, this ability cannot be used for 1d4+1 rounds beginning once the previous duration ends.
    Expanded Reservoir: As a high templar becomes more in tune with their psionic potential, he unlocks hidden pools of power within himself. A high templar, at 6th level, can add twice his class level to power points per day.
    Perfected Hallucination: A high templar eventually perfects his hallucinatory powers. A hallucination created by a high templar is no longer disbelievable other than by characters who saw its creation, is solid, moves of its own will, has hit points equal to its copied target, and does 1 damage on a successful attack. Additionally, the hallucination lasts until it is destroyed, or for 1 full day and can speak in any language the copied creature knew. This ability supersedes Greater and Lesser Hallucination.
    Greater Psionic Storm: As Lesser Psionic Storm, with range 50ft + 10ft / class level, radius 25ft, and allies are immune to the damage within the radius. Additionally, the damage per manifester level increases to 1d4+Wisdom modifier (up to 20d4 + 20 x Wisdom modifier damage). This ability supersedes Lesser Psionic Storm.
    Perfected Psionic Blast: The high templar expands upon his psionic blast technique, allowing it to be cast faster and stronger. At level 9, a high templar can manifest a psionic blast in a full-attack action (for example, a high templar with a base attack bonus of +16 can make 3 psionic blasts as a full attack action). Additionally, each creature successfully hit by at least a single psionic blast must make a Will save (DC equal to 10 + 1/2 manifester level + Wis modifier), or be stunned for 1 round. If a creature suffers more than one psionic blast, the DC of the save increases by 2 for each successful strike. This ability supersedes Psionic Blast.
    Archon Knowledge: Once per day, and this the assistance of a willing psionic ally, a high templar may merge with his ally to form an Archon. Using this ability drains both characters of all their power points for that day. See below for information regarding this. Upon reverting from this form, which occurs after a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the high templar's manifester level, both characters are exhausted until they have a full 8 hours of rest. If the archon is destroyed, the characters are instead unconscious at -9 hitpoints and stable.

Spoiler
    Show

Archon. Picture by Eric Chen on Elfwood.

When two creatures merge to become an Archon, their statistics change dramatically. An archon has the best stats, saves, and base attack of either character and has health equal to 3/4 the characters' total health, all ignoring magical items being used by the base characters.. Its size increases to large with a reach of 10ft. The Archon gains +6 natural armor, +10 Deflection bonus, and adds its Wis bonus to armor. It gains a single attack that does Wis mod * 2d8 damage of force damage, with creatures adjacent to the creature being attacked taking 1/4 damage. This attack can be used in a full attack as a normal attack. Any creature hit directly by this attack must make a Will save (DC 10 + manifester level + Wis modifier) or be stunned. Any creature killed by this attack explodes with a dramatic display of energy, causing a fear effect with the same DC to all creatures adjacent to the destroyed creature. The attack is resolved as a touch attack using the Archon's Wis mod instead of his Dex or Str modifier. Finally, the movement speed of the archon is the sum of the two creature's movement speed and the Archon is of type Elemental (Psionic).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: [PrC] High Templar (PEACH)

with the psi storm, i'd reduce it to 1d4 points of damage, but have it last for 1 round/level, DIE ZERGLINGS DIE DIE DIE
    Last edited by jlousivy; 2007-02-21 at 11:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by jlousivy View Post
    with the psi storm, i'd reduce it to 1d4 points of damage, but have it last for 1 round/level, DIE ZERGLINGS DIE DIE DIE
    Good point. Fixing.

4. - Top - End - #4

Anyone have any ideas on Psionic Shock? It should probably work similar to a weak chain lightning...

And also, Hallucinations? I know the Perfected version will not be "disbelievable". Also that they can only be a copy of something readily available (allies, visible enemies, a tree...) and are immediately disbelieved if someone sees it being cast. The exact mechanics escape me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Psionic Shock- ranged touch attack deals d4(or d6?)/level +int mod as a standard action? range-30 feet
    ^if single person type thing
    or
    deals 1d6/level and arcs to a a number of targets equaling the manifester's int modifier. No target may be hit more than once.
    OR
    deals 1d6/2 levels and arcs to a number of targets equaling the manifester's int modifier. Targets may be hit multiple times, but soemone must be hit inbetween, ie:int of 20 a psi shock can attack person a-b-a-c-a
    Last edited by jlousivy; 2007-02-21 at 12:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Alright, I wrote up the information for the Hallucinations and Psionic Shock...

Is there anything I'm missing? Is anyone but jlousivy going to comment? ;)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wouldn't give them average base attack, they don't go into physical combat and touch attacks don't justify a high base attack. Good Fort saves don't make sense for what is a pretty frail unit.

Also most of it's abilities from the RTS should burn power points.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

perfected hallucination-1 damage? i'd say.....
    He may use Psionic Shock ability for 1/2 damage.
    otherwise.... i can't see this being used for anything but talking to a very dangerous person from a distance

9. - Top - End - #9

perfected hallucination-1 damage? i'd say.....
    He may use Psionic Shock ability for 1/2 damage.
    otherwise.... i can't see this being used for anything but talking to a very dangerous person from a distance
    More of what it is, is for a free "meatshield". Toss something at them that is just fake, and does 1 dmg so that they think it's real enough to attack.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

how often may the high templar do this? As it stands once someone has perfected hallucination, he will wake up and make a hallucination and go about his day with a personal slave/meat shield. Then if something bad happens to it, he'll make another. IE-trap master. Templar feels there might be traps ahead. He makes a hallucination and sends it forward, rinse lather and repeat.

So basicly it needs an x/day or PP cost the other abilities need x/day or pp cost as well as closet skeleton stated

Also you gotta find a way to add in the high templar's movement.

11. - Top - End - #11

how often may the high templar do this? As it stands once someone has perfected hallucination, he will wake up and make a hallucination and go about his day with a personal slave/meat shield. Then if something bad happens to it, he'll make another. IE-trap master. Templar feels there might be traps ahead. He makes a hallucination and sends it forward, rinse lather and repeat.

So basicly it needs an x/day or PP cost the other abilities need x/day or pp cost as well as closet skeleton stated
    Yeah, it needs some other cost... thinking certain number of times a day, because a high PP cost means they won't use it, while a low means they'll overuse it.

Also you gotta find a way to add in the high templar's movement.
    movement?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks good. I see that there are still people playing Starcraft^^.

I think myself the hit die needs to be lower. High Templars are physically weak, right?

I think I need to play Starcraft again to give this a good review.

Quote Originally Posted by daedu View Post
    movement?
    I think he means the way the Templar floats.

I'm also wandering if you create more Starcraft classes other than this one, because I'm very curious to see more creations. *Hint* Dark Templar *Hint*

PS. Protoss rule!
    Last edited by Jarelk; 2007-02-21 at 01:14 PM.
    Signature made by Wojiz
    Spoiler
    Show

Deceiver PrC
    A whole new Spell List
    Updating 2 spell every day (Continuing when I stop being lazy.. Should be any day now...)!
    Arkenhammer

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Kalad Redbomb; Jarelk Archon

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, if that's the movement he means, it's covered in my protoss racial abilities :) (see sig)

Yeah, I'm planning on a DT eventually. I figured a d6 health because they Templar are still warriors, just not as... warrior-like as the Zealots (Zealots being fighters or psionic warriors)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarelk View Post
    I'm also wandering if you create more Starcraft classes other than this one, because I'm very curious to see more creations. *Hint* Dark Templar *Hint*
    There are also threads about Terran Units, Zerglings and Protoss as a race.

As for this thread: It looks really good! I think you've captured the essence of the High Templar well. I do agree that the hallucinations need a slight limit, but other than that I don't see anything I'd change.

Also, is the Archon form temporary in this case?
    Last edited by mikeejimbo; 2007-02-21 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Clarification about to whom I was replying
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Also, is the Archon form temporary in this case?
    Yeah, it would be temporary in this case. I can make some argument for it once I actually determine how the Archon would work in-game...

16. - Top - End - #16

Alright, added the Archon ability description. It's basically an I.W.I.N. button for the encounter its used in. Of course, it's only usable 1/week.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daedu View Post
    Yeah, it would be temporary in this case. I can make some argument for it once I actually determine how the Archon would work in-game...
    It being temporary makes perfect sense to me, at least from a mechanics point of view.

One question though, why is a Barbarian a Psion in your example?
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

18. - Top - End - #18

It being temporary makes perfect sense to me, at least from a mechanics point of view.

One question though, why is a Barbarian a Psion in your example?
    Bah, I got lazy :P Perhaps I'll change it later, since he DOES have to be able to manifest powers.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Archon SMASH!
    RAAGH!

(thanks to Aghar for the Archon Avi)

cool... look forward to some more of your creations
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

An Order of the Stick style Archon Avatar? Now I've seen it all.

But I still want more!
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

High Templar were incrediably weak physically in sc, like if anything looked at them unkindly, they died. A d4 hit dice seems more appropriate at least flavor wise

Perhaps archon merging should also change type to elemental? SC archons were annoying because among all manner of other strengths they were also immune to powers that only affected organic units, and power that only affected mechanical. It fits the creature and would give a similar set of immunities.

What kind of damage is the archon's attack? Force damage seems appropriate, but i don't see any mention of a type.

Archon damage is much too strong. 2d10 + 1.5 * int is much less likely to cause balance problems, while still remaing a powerful attack (esp given the stun). 1d10*int is another possibility, but that quickly becomes an iwin if a charcter can stack enough int. If it is force damage, or typless, its going to bypass almost all protections, and this is a touch attack so its almost always going to hit.

I'm not sure on the balance changes, seems like this might actually make the archon stronger but it has great flavor for me. Consider
    An archon always has exactly 10 max hp and is immune to all natural and magical healing. An Archon reduced to 0 or lower hp immedatly dies, killing both merged creatures. An archon has pp equal to the total power points of both creatures it is composed of and gains one power point per round, up to a maximum of the total allowed to both base creatures. Whenever an archon would take damage from any source it instead loses that many power points -3 (minimum 0). If not enough power points are avaliable, reduce the damage as much as posisble, and all remaning damage is delt to the archon as normal. When an archon merging ends, both creatures hp is set to the porportion of the archons hp that remains,they have 0 pp avaliable and are exausted until they can rest for 8 hours.

How long does archon merging last? Consider a max of total high templar levels of combined creatures/2 hours if a long duration is desirable, or minutes if short.

If the pp "shield" version of archons is used, with a long duration a way faster than 1 pp/round to regen would be useful or a battered archon will be forced to seperate after an enounter rather than going around all overwhemling for his full duration. (dnd doesn't have shield batteries :-p) If allowing an archon to heal himself is desirable, add "Archon Meditation(su): as a full round action that provokes aoo, an archon may meditate. If it is subject to any effect that disrupts concentration, it must make a concentration check as if distracted casting a 5th level spell, or gain no benifit. If the meditation is sucessful, the archon immedatly gains pp equal to the total hd of both base creatures"

22. - Top - End - #22

Yeah, it should prob be an elemental of unnamed type... (force elemental? psionic elemental? o.O)

Damage would be psionic or, if that doesn't exist, force.

I know the low-health / high-shield bit of the Archon, but I'm trying to keep from representing shields in this version. As for damage, the Archon form is basically a 1/week I.W.I.N. button ;) It's damage is supposed to be high, seeing as you have to be lvl18 to even get the ability.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

An Order of the Stick style Archon Avatar? Now I've seen it all.

But I still want more!
    top spoiler in my sig...
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Uh...Your sample Templar for the Archon Ability doesn't meet the requirements of the class. An 8th-level Psy. Warrior would have a BAB of +6, while apparently he would need +8 to be a Templar. He'd need to be level 11.
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

25. - Top - End - #25

Huh, you mean psy wars don't have full progression? Dang. Haha, well, it's the idea.. the sample is actually badly done, because the merging character doesn't have any Psionic abilities, so he doesn't qualify either ^_^'

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, he could've taken Wild Talent. No powers, but he's still psionic.
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the idea of having a BAB requirement at all is kinda silly for a high templar...