New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

Somebody please dig me out of a pile of academia when I'm done?

Did today: class, class, history final
    To do/due tomorrow: class, class, lab, essay #1, history extra credit
    To do/due Friday: class, a unit of maths homework
    To do/due Monday: biology final, biology extra credit, essay #2
    To do/due Wednesday: maths final (pleasepleaseplease don't let me fail!)

Frell.

Also, currently downstairs is a pile of 15 books I checked out from the library. Said pile is arranged in preferred reading order, and I'm in the middle of #1. Some of them looked quite interesting, and I wanted to read them before I got back, but the majority of those books are due on Monday, with no way to renew them since they're on DeeRee's card. Double frell.

Besides, my mother sent me a list as long as my leg of things to bring her (including, I kid you not, cinnamon flavoured toothpaste), which means that I have to go the store sometime next week, because I'm leaving for China next Saturday. Triple frell.

And I can't take my computer with me, because I'm bringing her a new computer, and customs will throw an absolute fit and fine me who knows what for taking two into the country. Quadruple frell.

...How did I let this happen?
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

@Phase: I'll race you on that last one. First one to get facial hair wins a brand new car, or maybe just a small thrill of accomplishment, replaced by a lingering shame.

@Cycoris: I don't know, but this is my only consolation: if it was me in your position, I'd have all the same problems, except I'd also have a KGB assassin and a team of angry leprechauns after me or something.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-12-09 at 11:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cycoris View Post
    Somebody please dig me out of a pile of academia when I'm done?

Did today: class, class, history final
    To do/due tomorrow: class, class, lab, essay #1, history extra credit
    To do/due Friday: class, a unit of maths homework
    To do/due Monday: biology final, biology extra credit, essay #2
    To do/due Wednesday: maths final (pleasepleaseplease don't let me fail!)

Frell.......

.....And I can't take my computer with me, because I'm bringing her a new computer, and customs will throw an absolute fit and fine me who knows what for taking two into the country. Quadruple frell.

...How did I let this happen?
    Wow. I'm suddenly glad I just have to get through a number of final reveiws and finals. That looks like utter madness.

Also, I fail to see why they'd fine you for taking 2 laptops into the country. Then again, I assume it is China we're talking about here.
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm guessing they'll figure intent to distribute rather than her having two personal laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #65

The Masked Man is indeed correct. Last time I entered China (earlier this year) you got a hefty fine for every additional computer you brought in, even if it was for personal use.

I'm going to miss my mac, with everything just the way I like, all my files and programs on it &c.

Oh well, at least I can switch hers to Dvorak for the short time I will be using it.

Oh, and another frell-worthy thing today? The school's testing centre computers are all set for QWERTY. I don't know why this didn't dawn on me earlier, but it was certainly a nasty surprise when I took my history test.

A demon cannot be hurt

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    I'll race you on that last one. First one to get facial hair wins a brand new car, or maybe just a small thrill of accomplishment, replaced by a lingering shame.
    I'm gonna aim for a Freeman Goatee. Mainly because the Resonance Cascade is nigh.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    But see, like I already said, if you can use forums and e-mails, why bother with texting? It seems redundant...and it's not like texting on your cell phone is any easier than using a keyboard.
    When all parties involved send/receive e-mail by phone, texting is functionally redundant. However, when that is not the case, texting allows a more immediate channel of textual communication.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and another frell-worthy thing today? The school's testing centre computers are all set for QWERTY. I don't know why this didn't dawn on me earlier, but it was certainly a nasty surprise when I took my history test.
    's why I switched back.

...Although when I took the history midterm and final, they were on paper.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    's why I switched back.

...Although when I took the history midterm and final, they were on paper.
    Mmm, these were on their nasty computers. Blarghy blargh blargh.

And I don't want to switch back. Qwerty makes my wrists ache!

A demon cannot be hurt

10. - Top - End - #70
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    This is, like, the 8th gun-jumping we've had in a row. And you didn't even have the good graces to call the next thread. Shame on you! Shaaaame!
    Or even leave a link in the last one.

I propose we go back to the "we'll start discussing it ON page 50 so we can see who's actually around and eligible for it" method. This leads to an agreement and avoids the probability of jumpers trying to see how early they have to be to make sure they get their name on a thread or having multiple new threads created at the same time.

A little late to the teeth gnashing. My apologies. Carry on.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Or even leave a link in the last one.

I propose we go back to the "we'll start discussing it ON page 50 so we can see who's actually around and eligible for it" method. This leads to an agreement and avoids the probability of jumpers trying to see how early they have to be to make sure they get their name on a thread or having multiple new threads created at the same time.

A little late to the teeth gnashing. My apologies. Carry on.
    I didn't realise we'd stopped doing that.

Regarding this, people would do well to remember the views of the admins.
    Problem is, if someone does jump the gun, what do we do? Once the old thread hits page 50 we move to the new one anyway, because the alternative is creating a competing thread, which may breed animosity and is not supported by the mods/admins. As evidenced by the above linked posts, and the thread they come from.

ION, I should really do this work... thing is, I planned to have finished it on tuesday, and were it not for some nonsensical errors, I would have. So I'm having to adjust my plans to the fact it's not actually done, and this frustrates me.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Goddamit, Tetris. Stop being so addicting!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Goddamit, Tetris. Stop being so addicting!
    I haven't played tetris in so long

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

But QWERTY is wonderfull.

Especially when you can blind-type with 10 fingers on them
    Other keyboard are just weird ><
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    But QWERTY is wonderful.

Especially when you can blind-type with 10 fingers on them.

Other keyboard are just weird ><
    But why is that better than being able to touch type on Dvorak? Huh? HUH?

Besides, did I mention the whole 'lack of wrist pain that inevitably comes after typing 5,000 words on a QWERTY keyboard' thing?

A demon cannot be hurt

16. - Top - End - #76

Blargfarblechle.
    Christmas shopping for the babies of my very large, extended family. Ten cousins and second-cousins under ten, and actually, eight are under five.
    D'you have any idea how hard it is finding toddler-proof kiddie toys?
    It wasn't even very full in town today, but I had to haul this huge-butt bag around town all day going into other, small and crowded shops scoping out pressies for older cousins, grown-ups and my parents.
    I score full marks for every gift scoped out as Mum agrees with all of them. Bar the parental gifts as she's not getting a sniff.

Question:
    Eldest Little Brother likes military history, Japan and China and WarHammer and strategy games. WOuld The Art of War be a good book for him?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

I just turned in the last paper I had to do for this semester.

While a feeling of overwhelming relief has washed over me now, I still can't shake the minor, creeping feeling of dread that preempts final grade reports. I...think I did pretty good in all my courses...but this being graduate-level, I need a B or higher for each course. So I'm a bit...nervous.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Besides, did I mention the whole 'lack of wrist pain that inevitably comes after typing 5,000 words on a QWERTY keyboard' thing?
    Why would QWERTY hurt your wrists more than Dvorak?

After 3 months of Dvorak, I was still at 70 words per minute, and with three DAYS back on QWERTY I was back up to 100 or even 105 wpm. AND I can use school computers. Sometimes my computer glitches and switches me back to Dvorak, and I still sort of know the layout (if I don't think about it I can put my fingers where the keys are) but I'm happy with QWERTY. If less unusual for it.

19. - Top - End - #79

Other than being the industry standard, I HAVE NO IDEA.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

20. - Top - End - #80

What no love for AZERTY

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

^: ...I swear your shirt was a pinkish color just a moment ago...

Incidentally, I DID just *finish* typing roughly 5,000 words on a QWERTY keyboard.

This being the only keyboard type I've ever used, I can't think of a good reason to change. <.<; Not that it means this is a better keyboard. Just it's the only one I ever used.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2009-12-10 at 02:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

This being the only keyboard type I've ever used, I can't think of a good reason to change. <.<; Not that it means this is a better keyboard. Just it's the only one I ever used.
    When I was typing Dvorak, I had the exactly same keyboard, I just switched the input format. So what the physical keys said bore zero relation to what came out on the screen.

23. - Top - End - #83

^: ...I swear your shirt was a pinkish color just a moment ago...
    yeah I change it after every few post ^^

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    yeah I change it after every few post ^^
    ....Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

I think so, but my mom finds it highly annoying.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Question:
    Eldest Little Brother likes military history, Japan and China and WarHammer and strategy games. WOuld The Art of War be a good book for him?
    Probably. Whether or not he actually reads it, that seems to be a gift military types enjoy owning. *nods*

...incidentally, a leather-bound copy of that book was a suggested gift for someone I know. >.>
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Banned

The only problem with the Art of War is that it's the fall-back gift for people who don't know what else to give. If this is the brother I think it is, with the implied appetite for facts, alternative histories wouldn't be good although they usually are for that profile. Can you get some historical maps, laminate them, then get a book of a war from that time period and a wipe-clean marker for transferring book knowledge to that map? Maybe even a set of cheap plastic miniatures for troop simulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    What no love for AZERTY
    NONE WHATSOEVER!
    *hunts and pecks until finding caps lock keys*
    Why, for the love of all that's holy, has it got the NUMBERS as the shift symbols on those keys?

28. - Top - End - #88

for in case you don't want to use your numpad?

I don't know I just use what I'm used to ^^

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    The only problem with the Art of War is that it's the fall-back gift for people who don't know what else to give. If this is the brother I think it is, with the implied appetite for facts, alternative histories wouldn't be good although they usually are for that profile. Can you get some historical maps, laminate them, then get a book of a war from that time period and a wipe-clean marker for transferring book knowledge to that map? Maybe even a set of cheap plastic miniatures for troop simulation?

...you would be the coolest older sister EVER.
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm suddenly reminded of many years ago, when I was...4? 6? Somewhere along those lines. Some guest or another brought me one of those Kinder chocolate bar things. I remember feeling absolutely betrayed to the point of tears because it didn't have a toy inside, unlike the awesome Kinder Surprise things that I rather enjoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting