New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What exactly does the IFCC want the Linear Guild to do?

All IFCC plot speculation seems to center around V's soul, so here's something else to consider:

In Strip #668, Director Lee says, "...while [Xykon and the Order of the Stick] fight each other, we move [the Linear Guild] into position." But into position for what? The only thing I can think of is, while the OOTS and Team Evil are distracted, they are to destroy the Gate. Perhaps they think Nale will go all "If I can't have it, no one will!" Maybe their plans require all the Gates being destroyed or there only being one Gate left.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2013-02-15 at 04:31 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: What exactly does the IFCC want the Linear Guild to do?

I don't know, because the resolution hasn't been written yet.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We have a hint - in that same strip, the yellow fiend (Lee?) quips that "Destructive, unnecessary conflict is pretty much all that they do". There may be more to it then that, but at the very least we have reason to believe that they're using the Linear Guild as destabilizing elements.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

My guess is that there is more to the agenda that we do not yet understand.

However it is a fair guess that this Gate Quest, if successful, is expected to pay tangible dividends to the IFCC, or they could not make good their promise to Tiamat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, if they want the gates destroyed, which is possible, the logic would be:

-The Linear Guild wants to control the gate, and does not want to destroy it.
    -The Linear Guild is invariably unsuccessful at all of their major goals.
    -If they get near the gate, plot dictates that the gate will be destroyed, as otherwise there is the possibility that they would actually succeed at something, which is just preposterous on the face of it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Qaar & Cedrik's comments do fit with this:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html

Qaar: "They look like total morons."
    Cedrik: "They are! Isn't it just perfect?"
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-02-15 at 05:49 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I suspect they do want to do something with the rifts, but not what anyone else wants to do with them. Beyond that I don't know, but I sure want to find out.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

To accurately answer your question but be extremely vague:

Be a bunch of unsuspecting pawns.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think their general purpose is to create instable and chaotic environment, so when the IFCC posess V it will throw both Team Evil and Order off the rails. The Fiends's Ace will be most powerful when the opponents will be weakest - a.k.a. when they spend most of their power to conflict.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2013-02-16 at 03:47 AM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

10. - Top - End - #10

I think the plan is to have the LG disrupt one of the parties going for the gate (The Order) to ensure they are not effective. Maybe they hope that the LG will kill of some of the more reliable members of The Order, as "the fewer people paying attention to what Vaarusvius is going to do under our influence are around" means "the better" for them.

The worst thing that can happen to them would be The Order setting up secure defenses for the gates again. Now that the Scribblers are basically out is the IFCC's best chance to "do something". But should someone competent secure the gates again, the IFCC might be out for another generation.
    The LG is pretty effective at hindering The Order in doing "the right things".
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I think the plan is to have the LG disrupt one of the parties going for the gate (The Order) to ensure they are not effective. Maybe they hope that the LG will kill of some of the more reliable members of The Order, as "the fewer people paying attention to what Vaarusvius is going to do under our influence are around" means "the better" for them.

The worst thing that can happen to them would be The Order setting up secure defenses for the gates again. Now that the Scribblers are basically out is the IFCC's best chance to "do something". But should someone competent secure the gates again, the IFCC might be out for another generation.
    The LG is pretty effective at hindering The Order in doing "the right things".
    The Order can't competently secure the gate against someone like Xykon. There's something else at play here.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    The Order can't competently secure the gate against someone like Xykon. There's something else at play here.
    I pondered that as well a while and I think I can disagree. Assuming The Order has enough time and some ressources, they can create a setup that would greatly hinder any known foe. Xykon is a known foe.

Given the right setup even a level 1 goblin lacking one foot can kill epic characters.

What I find more puzzling why the IFCC does not see Xykon as an "issue". If anything, Team Evil must be prevented to access a gate, as he is very capable of defending and utilizing the gates. Should Xykon be able to secure the gates for himself it becomes very unlikely the IFCC can come up with goons that take them from him.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    What I find more puzzling why the IFCC does not see Xykon as an "issue". If anything, Team Evil must be prevented to access a gate, as he is very capable of defending and utilizing the gates. Should Xykon be able to secure the gates for himself it becomes very unlikely the IFCC can come up with goons that take them from him.
    Darth V only lost to Xykon because of bad tactics and recklessness. If - as many people have speculated - the IFCC can directly assume control of a living Vaarsuvius, and provide a similar power boost when doing so (which seems like a reasonable assumption), they should be able to take Xykon.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Darth V only lost to Xykon because of bad tactics and recklessness. If - as many people have speculated - the IFCC can directly assume control of a living Vaarsuvius, and provide a similar power boost when doing so (which seems like a reasonable assumption), they should be able to take Xykon.
    I agree to the first part and disagree to the second. I think they can assume control, but it is unlikely it will be with "similar power".

I think the "Controlled Vaarsuvius" will work a bit like playing a puppet. It works, but it is a bit clumsy.

Also, Darth V lost because he has crappy saving throws and all Xykon needed was to survive the first round. He then could dish out spells (debuffs, damage) Vaarusivus could not save against.

Also, I disagree: The point of Darth V losing was not that he used bad tactics, but that he was not a Teamplayer (his actions are heavily contrasted in the scene how Team Evil does indeed worked like a well-oiled machine). If anything, that scene/fights highlights the power a tactical team has over any individual.

Furthermore, if two opponents are both in epic regions "X surely wins vs Y" is at best a critical claim.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Team Evil has three major players, any one of which could fight the Order alone and probably win. Maybe the IFCC wants to hurt Team Evil's odds?
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    Team Evil has three major players, any one of which could fight the Order alone and probably win. Maybe the IFCC wants to hurt Team Evil's odds?
    They're already pretty hurt. Tsukiko may have been curbstomped by Redcloak, but she was still pretty powerful; she just badly misjudged her situation. Without her, Team Evil has only two major players and one massive wild card. Also, much of the trust (for lack of a better term) between Xykon and Redcloak is now gone. The IFCC probably isn't looking too hard at Team Evil right now, because V did a lot of long-term damage with hir actions and they don't seem too concerned about it.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-02-18 at 12:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Daemon

To get in the way and cause destructive conflict. Also, so the IFCC have a partial say in events with two ambassadors when the gate is present.