New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

Eh...On new set spoiler...

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose it's interesting, but Ravinca never really grabbed me. I'm much more excited for Avacyn Restored then I am for Return to Ravnica. Especially if it has Jace in it. Can't we please get a new blue planeswalker? Koira maybe?

Oh well, I'm still hoping for new planeswalkers in Avacyn Restored. Forget where I read it, but there's supposed to be 1-3 planeswalkers in it.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

@Seth:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your point seems to be "Avacyn isn't as deck-warping as Delver or as good as Thalia", which doesn't really make much sense to me, and seems to come back around to "Avacyn isn't very likely to show up in tournaments a lot", which as has been stated before does not make her a failure as a card. She's big, she's splashy, has good art, good flavor, and her ability hasn't been done before. What exactly were you expecting her to do? If you were the one to design her, what would she look like?
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler discussion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Return to Ravnica has an almost 100% chance of having Jace in it now, seeing as he's in the spoiler art for it. I guess that explains why they waited to long to announce it, since Ravnica is one of the best Magic sets ever printed (I forget where but I think they did actually do something that made this statement official).

There is a high percentage chance that we'll see Shocklands reprinted. I'm not sure what they're going to do, since by the storyline of Ravnica: City of Guilds block the Guildpact is gone and there aren't really guilds anymore.

Also, stuff was spoiled for Avacyn Restored big whoop who cares Return to Ravnica.

Okay, not really that short, but I am more excited for Return to Ravnica than I am for anything I've seen so far in Avacyn Restored. Miracle just seems incredibly annoying (5 damage? For R? Actually guys?), and none of the other mechanics actually excite me. I don't want more Undying cards, the majority of them are just annoying to play against in any format. I don't want more ridiculous creatures with Hexproof. These are not things that actually excite me to be playing Magic.

Edit: Alright, after getting to see a card image, Soulbind actually looks like a really fun mechanic. Not sold on the rest.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-07 at 08:37 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Return to Ravnica has an almost 100% chance of having Jace in it now, seeing as he's in the spoiler art for it. I guess that explains why they waited to long to announce it, since Ravnica is one of the best Magic sets ever printed (I forget where but I think they did actually do something that made this statement official).

There is a high percentage chance that we'll see Shocklands reprinted. I'm not sure what they're going to do, since by the storyline of Ravnica: City of Guilds block the Guildpact is gone and there aren't really guilds anymore.

Also, stuff was spoiled for Avacyn Restored big whoop who cares Return to Ravnica.
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the "best Magic sets ever" thing, Maro said it on his tumblr. He also said on Twitter that they waited so long to announce it because they wanted to do it at PAX East.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    RAAAVNICAAA!!!!!!

Who gives a **** about Avacyn, we return to Ravnica!

RAAAAAVNIIICAAAAAA!!!!!
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post

Quick sum-up of stuff so far
    Spoiler
    Show

Mechanics
    Undying is in
    Cards

Sigarda, Host of Herons - 2GWW - Flying, Hexproof, 5/5, spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause you to sacrifice permanents
    (I think this is meant to be a Legendary Angel, but they keeps omitting creature type)

Spoiler
    Show
    Think this will adversely affect Phyrexian Obliterator very much?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (5 damage? For R? Actually guys?)
    Well, you have no choice as to when you play it for that... and if you do try to have a choice, you'll be paying about 4. Prime time for it to be countered is when you can't counter the counter.

And I think they were having trouble getting people to draft Red.
    In the draft I "recently" went to (Thank Spring Break!), I didn't see one person actually PLAY red. Oh, most took a card or five, but no-one played it. There was Blue control, Black/white aggro, green/black aggro, Blue/green mill, a combo white/black/green... Only one Red card actually went into a deck, I believe, and it was payed for with a Shimmering Grotto.

And it's still Red. Red is known for burn, at ridiculous ratios.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Well, you have no choice as to when you play it for that... and if you do try to have a choice, you'll be paying about 4. Prime time for it to be countered is when you can't counter the counter.

And I think they were having trouble getting people to draft Red.
    In the draft I "recently" went to (Thank Spring Break!), I didn't see one person actually PLAY red. Oh, most took a card or five, but no-one played it. There was Blue control, Black/white aggro, green/black aggro, Blue/green mill, a combo white/black/green... Only one Red card actually went into a deck, I believe, and it was payed for with a Shimmering Grotto.

And it's still Red. Red is known for burn, at ridiculous ratios.
    You must have a very strange environment, because from all accounts I've heard of, red/black and red/green are some of the most powerful archetypes to draft, and red/blue is pretty good as well. Only Red/white is considered poor, and even that is considered better than green/black, which I've never seen anyone draft. Drafted it once myself, and very much regret doing so, even though the cards I got were decent on their own.

As for "OMG 5 damage for 1 mana!", I'd point to Galvanic Blast, which does 4 damage for 1 mana, and is probably less restrictive in how it works. Seems like it could be strong, but not as crazy as it initially seems I think.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2012-04-07 at 09:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frankelshtein View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    *faints*

(So the Boros angels disappeared because they became trapped in the Helvault, right? )
    Spoiler
    Show
    This makes me wonder given what the Ravnica block's set of books ended with with regards to angels. Namely,
    Spoiler
    Show
    all dead except for Feather. I'm guessing they won't be showing up.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not less restrictive in how often you can set it up. Few decks that aren't Affinity consistently set up Galvanic Blast for 4 damage.

Even just "deals 5 damage to target creature or player" for the 6 mana that it costs is good in Limited. The random times you topdeck it for 1 seem like random "whoops guess game's over" moments, especially in constructed. Maybe it's just me. The card isn't broken or anything, and I think it will probably play well. I am just not excited about it.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-07 at 10:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Wow, I'm really the only one not excited about the Return to Ravnica. XD Should have seen that coming. Anyway, does anyone know when the books/stories for a set comes out? I heard it happens once all the sets are printed, but I wanted to get confirmation...
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am hoping for new dual lands, not reprints. (this clearly has nothing to do with EDH)
    Last edited by Sohala; 2012-04-08 at 12:34 AM.
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Wrong button. You want [SPOILER ][/ SPOILER], not [QUOTE ][ /QUOTE]

Ninja edited.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2012-04-08 at 12:35 AM.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...Wow, I'm really the only one not excited about the Return to Ravnica. XD Should have seen that coming. Anyway, does anyone know when the books/stories for a set comes out? I heard it happens once all the sets are printed, but I wanted to get confirmation...
    Spoiler
    Show
    They don't release books very often anymore. I think the practice now is that there's 1 per block? I dunno when they'll release them, though.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Starting with Shards of Alara they changed it to one book per block, though according to Mark Rosewater's tumblr, it looks like Innistrad won't be getting a book because the books weren't selling. Of course, Wizards could have just put someone other than Robert J. Wintermute in charge of writing them and seen sales go up, but such is their way.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

They probably didn't do that because it costs money.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground

To give some context as to how bad the books have become, I'd like to share a review of Quest for Karn from mtgfiction (which has some excellent read-throughs if you'd like to get acquainted with some of the novels, but don't necessarily want to read them through).

I've taken the liberty of copying the "overall" section of the review to provide something of a TL;DR:

Spoiler
    Show
    "OVERALL
    Score: 0/10 (This is not an average.)

You will be filled with confusion, anger, hope, laugher, tears, and resignation all because of how the words are technically strung together, and not because of what is happening in the story. To top if off the ending will then take your tired and battered spirit and drag it through the mud one last time. You know, for old time's sake. This is without a doubt the worst book I have ever read. Wizards should be ashamed and embarrassed that this book was released, and should without hesitation refund everyone's money.

I don't know the circumstances in which this book was written. I don't know how much time was given to the author, how much guidance he was given, how much time was left for editing, and what the approval process was like. All I know is that the book felt like a first draft of a poorly written fan fiction, while using spell-check in replace of an editor. The best thing I can say about the Scars of Mirrodin: The Quest for Karn is that there was only one likely typo in the book.

DO NOT BUY. You have been warned. The only reason you should buy this book is if you can't stand having an incomplete collection or want many clear examples of how not to write a book."
    I am a forum poster. This is my signature.

G-Man by the wonderful Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

Hextech Singed by the amazingly talented (and handsome) Thormag
    Steam Profile

18. - Top - End - #318

So last draft - my opponent hits me down to 5, he's on 12. I have a 1/1 spirit, 2 1/1 humans and an Elgaud Inquisitor. He taps out to wrack with madness the inquisitor leaving me with 2 1/1 spirits and 2 1/1 humans.
    I have Thraben Doomsayer in hand so I win with Fateful Hour right?... I hate lifelink
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

19. - Top - End - #319

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    There's definitely a good chance that shocklands will be reprinted in RTR. They need to be reprinted fairly soon or Modern will have troubles as a format, and R&D has acknowledged this.

There's also the fact that sets the last couple years have clearly been designed around the rotation of the old 7 year Extended (since blocks are planned out 4+ years in advance, so RtR would have been planned before Extended's changes). When Onslaught was going to rotate, and with it the fetches that were the glue for Extended's manabase, Zendikar came in with new duals. Then the next block we have Scars replacing the old Mirrodin block. Innistrad/Kamigawa don't have much of a link, since Kamigawa was a bit of a miss, but now we have RtR replacing Ravnica whose most important contribution to Extended was the shocks.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, what are the chances of Shockland and Bob reprints in Return to Ravnica? Having just traded for a Dark Confidant at $45, I'm hoping that they don't reprint him yet, but what do you think?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Confidant is how much now?

And I thought I felt good about having gotten my eight Stomping Grounds and four Entombs back when they were $10 and $8, respectively. My cousin is the one with four Confidants...
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeing Coward View Post
    So last draft - my opponent hits me down to 5, he's on 12. I have a 1/1 spirit, 2 1/1 humans and an Elgaud Inquisitor. He taps out to wrack with madness the inquisitor leaving me with 2 1/1 spirits and 2 1/1 humans.
    I have Thraben Doomsayer in hand so I win with Fateful Hour right?... I hate lifelink
    When ever something with lifelink deals damage damage, you gain life equal to damage dealt. So unfortunately you're at 7 life.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #322
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    When ever something with lifelink deals damage damage, you gain life equal to damage dealt. So unfortunately you're at 7 life.
    Aye, that's why he hates lifelink!
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ravinca!

actually, Meh.

In other news: I hate sideboard making!
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not less restrictive in how often you can set it up. Few decks that aren't Affinity consistently set up Galvanic Blast for 4 damage.

Even just "deals 5 damage to target creature or player" for the 6 mana that it costs is good in Limited. The random times you topdeck it for 1 seem like random "whoops guess game's over" moments, especially in constructed. Maybe it's just me. The card isn't broken or anything, and I think it will probably play well. I am just not excited about it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't matter. It's still a four of in Legacy Burn, and pretty much every straight burn deck. 5 for 1 always except for if you draw it in your opening hand? Yes yes a thousand times yes.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    It doesn't matter. It's still a four of in Legacy Burn, and pretty much every straight burn deck. 5 for 1 always except for if you draw it in your opening hand? Yes yes a thousand times yes.
    ...and if you do draw it in your opening hand, it's essentially a dead card. Or, if you're on the play and you draw it first. Also, if you're on turn 2 and draw it, then you have to choose between casting it and doing anything else on your turn, unless you happen to have another 1 mana card. Or if you draw it turn 4, you have to choose between casting it and playing your 4-drop, etc.

There are certainly a lot of situations where it's very good, but also ones where it's not very good.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2012-04-08 at 01:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think it's a 4-of in any Legacy deck. All the times you have it in your starting hand are mulligans. You don't want that in Legacy Burn. You definitely play it, but I'd play 2. You really can't afford to have it in your starting hand, because you will probably never get to resolve it (even if you get to cast it at all).

Agentpaper:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, there isn't going to be that much of a choice. In constructed, the card is nearly uncastable at 6 mana. You're going to Miracle it pretty much every time, since every other time it's pretty much a dead card.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-08 at 01:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

...and if you do draw it in your opening hand, it's essentially a dead card. Or, if you're on the play and you draw it first. Also, if you're on turn 2 and draw it, then you have to choose between casting it and doing anything else on your turn, unless you happen to have another 1 mana card. Or if you draw it turn 4, you have to choose between casting it and playing your 4-drop, etc.

There are certainly a lot of situations where it's very good, but also ones where it's not very good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, maybe it is a two of, but not because of this. Clearly you've never played Legacy Burn. The deck runs 20 Lightning Bolts. There's nothing you want to do other than play spells that damage the opponent. This is such an efficient way of doing it.

tgva, I'd still test it as a 4 of. Because in my mind it's worth it. 5 for 1 is so much better than anything Burn plays already (except maybe Fireblast, but even then it's iffy)
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, maybe it is a two of, but not because of this. Clearly you've never played Legacy Burn. The deck runs 20 Lightning Bolts. There's nothing you want to do other than play spells that damage the opponent. This is such an efficient way of doing it.

tgva, I'd still test it as a 4 of. Because in my mind it's worth it. 5 for 1 is so much better than anything Burn plays already (except maybe Fireblast, but even then it's iffy)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I was thinking more about RDW, and standard.

29. - Top - End - #329

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Burn is pretty much the worst deck ever at taking mulligans, and starting with one in your opener is more or less a mull, so I really don't think 4 is the way to go.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's better than your other burn spells, unless it's not an actual card, like every time it's in your opening hand. I mean, the burn deck still does plenty of damage. Is it helpful to have, yes, but I don't want to increase inconsistency for it. I would play 2, as then it's not likely to be in my hand but I still have the possibility of just topdecking my opponents.