New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Erfworld, The Thread.

This is Wanda's story. Odds are Delphie wont *like* how she wins.... :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

2. - Top - End - #572
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Indeed. I hope Delphie likes key lime pie.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I don't know. My suspicion is that Delphie fully foresees her own death. Look at her signamancy -- she's dying inside already. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the other way around, with Wanda seeming to win in the short term, but Delphie winning in the end by changing Wanda's outlook on the world.

All I know is that the Wanda we see here thinks that Fate is ridiculous and believes she can defy it: "Her lover was cowed, her superiors were deferential, and she had tried to put Wanda in the same position with this nonsense about “Fate” and “a role to play.”"

She doesn't think like that in the main story.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Hmm. At one point Jack muses that Wanda's mind had been badly broken and put back together poorly. We assumed this happened in Book 1 when Jillian broke the spell on her. But what if Wanda's mind got smashed earlier than that?

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Hmm. At one point Jack muses that Wanda's mind had been badly broken and put back together poorly. We assumed this happened in Book 1 when Jillian broke the spell on her. But what if Wanda's mind got smashed earlier than that?
    Or it could have just happened twice. There's no reason to assume that (given her behavior before and after) the mind control backlash didn't break her mind. Which, of course, means that she's cracked more deeply than we ever figured.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

And we have art to go along with the latest page. Poor Wanda. She is just trying to understand things and be loyal to her family/side. And people are just &*%%# with her mind.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

hmmmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphie
    "not because it would change the future, but because it will make it longer and more painful to reach those future outcomes."
    Where have we heard something like this before? I wonder...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanda, undisclosed number of turns later
    "If we fight against Fate, ...Then we only worsen and prolong our misery. Our choices do matter. Wise choices ease the way, and foolish ones cause suffering."
    I'm wondering how exactly how much of Delphie is encapsulated in the views of Fate we've seen Wanda espouse in the "present."
    Last edited by Landis963; 2011-11-19 at 10:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    hmmmm....
    Where have we heard something like this before? I wonder...

I'm wondering how exactly how much of Delphie is encapsulated in the views of Fate we've seen Wanda espouse in the "present."
    I'd say a great amount.

Poor Wanda.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Bugbear in the Playground

Any UK erf fans out there? I've started a thread on the official forums to discuss potential meetups, bulk order of merch, and/or getting Rob to come over here.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Judgin' from the new update, she doesn't...

And all the worlds are the same: even in erfworld, children search for father's approvation.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #581

I really enjoy these text updates. Maybe because Wanda was always my favorite character.

The only thing I miss is a picture of Funnyface the sawhorse. With Wanda on it, of course. Wanda the croakamancer of Doom, riding her trusty steed, Funnyface.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel so happy for Wanda... and yet, i am saddened by the fact that this will all end very very tragically. I hate delphie so much, but what's even more infuriating is knowing the manipulative, overbearing caster is right.

13. - Top - End - #583

Overlord Firebaugh or Wanda could not possibly know that this will end badly. Haffaton's deal is total BS. Goodminton has taken three cities and won every battle. Why should they fear Haffaton? Goodminton is advancing, Haffaton is on the retreat. They are in no position to make demands. Even if they where, you don't give your best military asset to the enemy.

Sure, a strait up peace treaty would be fine. Or trade Delphie instead!
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

What? Am I the only Delphie fan?

I think deep down, Overlord Firebaugh looked at the facts and knows his side is doomed. He is just going to try and fight Fate because he has nothing else to lose. And that's why I likes him.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

15. - Top - End - #585
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like the text updates because I can keep track of what's going on.

16. - Top - End - #586

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    The only thing I miss is a picture of Funnyface the sawhorse. With Wanda on it, of course. Wanda the croakamancer of Doom, riding her trusty steed, Funnyface.
    Like Death and his trusty steed, Binky.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    What? Am I the only Delphie fan?

I think deep down, Overlord Firebaugh looked at the facts and knows his side is doomed. He is just going to try and fight Fate because he has nothing else to lose. And that's why I likes him.
    He basically said as much.

The offer wasn't something he could take seriously. I don't think that even Dephie seriously believed it would save them -- it was a 50-turn alliance. What happens after the end of that, with Wanda, their best military asset, on the enemy side?

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    He basically said as much.

The offer wasn't something he could take seriously. I don't think that even Dephie seriously believed it would save them -- it was a 50-turn alliance. What happens after the end of that, with Wanda, their best military asset, on the enemy side?
    Actually it could depend on what Goodmitten might be able to do with that offer and the details of the local situation. Afterall its an alliance not just a peace treaty or a ceasefire. In theory its possible that Goodmitten could have used Haffaton might to help it win cities from other sides, possibly even going against goodmitten's former allies. If Goodmitten could add more cities it would be enough for them to rebuild their forces to fight back should haffaton decide to restart the war after 50 turns.

This possibility is something you have to weight against two former allies breaking alliance and joining the enemy... That combined with Haffaton making a renewed offensive goodmitten may be gone within 10 turns. Frankly the 50 turn alliance may offer more possibilities that increase their chance of survival

19. - Top - End - #589
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    This is Wanda's story. Odds are Delphie wont *like* how she wins.... :P
    Clearly you are some sort of Sybil and should be burned at the stake for unnatural acts of prophecy.

Yeah, I think we can be reasonably certain Delphie doesn't like what Wanda's doing right now. For what it's worth, I believe Delphie is probably telling the truth when she says that passing Wanda over to Haffaton was the only way to save Goodminton...her methods to try and avoid that (mainly trying to pull the wool over her Overlord's eyes) were the problem!

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, I think we can be reasonably certain Delphie doesn't like what Wanda's doing right now. For what it's worth, I believe Delphie is probably telling the truth when she says that passing Wanda over to Haffaton was the only way to save Goodminton...her methods to try and avoid that (mainly trying to pull the wool over her Overlord's eyes) were the problem!
    Oh Delphie. You and your self-defeating subterfuge.

I mean really, what did she expect, resting her plan on the actions of a unit that a) didn't trust her, b) she was routinely domineering and callous towards, c) had a close familial connection with both the Chief Warlord and the Overlord, d) she neglected to share enough information with to achieve that trust, etc., etc., ad nauseum. She brought this on herself, and frankly I'm glad she did.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

What's odd in a way is that Wanda does some of the same things that Delphie is doing. But that they tend to work out the way she wants them too. Of course she also actually tries to work with other people (Parson in particular) and will even tell Stanley what she is doing if it will get the job done. Wanda can be even more manipulative than Delphie but she does it for very different reasons than Delphie.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    What's odd in a way is that Wanda does some of the same things that Delphie is doing. But that they tend to work out the way she wants them too. Of course she also actually tries to work with other people (Parson in particular) and will even tell Stanley what she is doing if it will get the job done. Wanda can be even more manipulative than Delphie but she does it for very different reasons than Delphie.
    That's not odd, that's character development.
    In her "youth" Wanda was much more idealistic and hopeful. She stood by the idea that the overlord, chief warlord, and all others important involved should have all the information and should be trusted to make the right decision. Delphie's actions in this regard opposed to all that.

However, Wanda's gonna find out the hard way that the world does not fit her ideals. She will find that Delphie was right, that there is no use fighting fate and that those who do are bound to go down a painful road. She will also find that there are often times when the people in charge don't know as well as you do and thus can be prone to making terrible decisions; as such manipulation and lies become a must for fulfilling one's duty
    Last edited by slayerx; 2011-11-23 at 02:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Or maybe she's a retconjurer."
    "Don't even think about that!"

I loled.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    "Or maybe she's a retconjurer."
    "Don't even think about that!"

I loled.
    Thanks to my lack of social awareness...I'm not making the connection. What's the joke here?

25. - Top - End - #595

By telling her not to think about it after she already has done, he's mimicing what reconjurers are supposed to do - retroactively change events.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooooh, retcon-jurers. Got it! I was reading it ret-conjurer, hence the confusion.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm more interested in Wanda's denial of retconjuration's existence. Is it the magical boogeyman art of Erfworld that people honestly don't believe in, or is just a 'we don't talk about it in polite company' thing?

28. - Top - End - #598

I'm more interested in Wanda's denial of retconjuration's existence. Is it the magical boogeyman art of Erfworld that people honestly don't believe in, or is just a 'we don't talk about it in polite company' thing?
    Its like a theoretical element, possible for it to exist, but impossible to create, according to the Magic theory aristoleanesque grid thing - held to be something only the titans can do.

Since it replaced deletionism, rather late in the story, after the main plot has been sketched out, highly unlikely to play a key role.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Its like a theoretical element, possible for it to exist, but impossible to create, according to the Magic theory aristoleanesque grid thing - held to be something only the titans can do.

Since it replaced deletionism, rather late in the story, after the main plot has been sketched out, highly unlikely to play a key role.
    Besides, Rob has said at least once that Retconjuration is solely the domain of the Titans, and thus if it has been employed, the characters don't know about it. (in fact, it has been used at least once, to switch Bogroll's special from Regen to Crafting - just in time for his death scene)

30. - Top - End - #600
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Retconjuration is a theoretical branch of magic with no known mortal practitioners - ever.

I like the theory about there being one retconjurer far in the future who retconned all the others out of existence.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)