New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Kunai (More realistic)

Well I have seen to many people try and pass the Kunai off as a thrown weapon and I wanted to see a more relistic version (and yes I actualy thought in my head how each of these could potentialy be made...I am what you would call a loser ) so here is my try at it.

{table]Simple Weapons | Cost | Dmg (S) | Dmg (M) | Critical | Range Increment | Weight1 | Type2
    Kunai | 2 gp | 1d3 | 1d4 | 19-20/×2 | - | 1lb | Piercing [/table]

You get a +2 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal a Kunai on your body

Kunai count as a monk weapon see monk description

If a wielder of a Kunai has enough ranks in use rope she may use the Kunai in a few diffrent ways.

{table]Use | use rope rank | DC | materials | special
    crowbar| 0 | - | - | +2 on strength check to open locks or other small objects
    Piton | 4 | 14 | - | +2 Circumstance modifier to climb checks
    trowl/shovel | 4 | - | quarterstaff (or equivlent rod for a shaft) 2' rope | +2 Circumstance modifier to proffesion farmer
    spear | 4 | 14 | quarterstaff (or equivlent rod for a shaft) 2' rope | 1
    light pick | 7 | 17 | club 2' rope | 1
    Pick, heavy| 10 |20 | 2 kunai 4' rope| 1
    Guisarme | 13 | 23 | quarterstaff (or equivlent rod for a shaft) 3 kunai 4' rope | 1
    Ranseur | 13 | 23 | quarterstaff (or equivlent rod for a shaft) 3 kunai 4' rope | 1
    Spiked armor | 16 | 26 | rope 20' 10 kunai| 1,2,3 +1 deflection bonus to AC
    Spiked shield | 16 | 26 | rope 10' 5 kunai| 1,2, +1 deflection bonus to AC
    Chain, spiked| 22 | 32 | 20' rope 15 kunai| 1,2
    [/table]

1. For every 10 points that you pass this DC you gain a +1 to attack rolls with the kunai, this bonus does not stack with Masterwork or Magic instead use the better to hit modifier of any bonuses to hit. You may not take 10 or 20 on this role and it takes 5 minutes to prepare your weapon in this manner. Every time you use the same piece of rope you gain a cumulative -2 to the use rope check as the rope begins to wear. Also you must reapply the rope check every 12 hour period. As long as you have weapon focus Kunai you never suffer non-proficiency with any weapon made using Kunai

2. Do the higher complexity of this item or its particular wear and tear in use these only last for 8 hours and rope used again has a -4 cumulative modifier to the use rope check.

3. You do not actually need to wear armor to gain use of this form of use instead you can make attacks as if you were wearing spiked armor.
    __________________________________________________ ___

Ok well that is what I can think of for now what do you think?
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2007-04-17 at 12:51 AM.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Kunai

neat idea, i like the use of kunai's as not just a normal weapon
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Kunai (More realistic)

It's a Swiss Army Thrown Weapon!
    The road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began,
    Now far ahead the road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can--
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Meeting those who travel on the way,
    Where many paths and errands meet,
    And whither then, I cannot say.
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maldraugedhen View Post
    It's a Swiss Army Thrown Weapon!
    minus the thrown part (well unless you want to take -4 to attack) But that was pretty much the intent and the actual use of the Kunai

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    But that was pretty much the intent and the actual use of the Kunai
    as it was for almost all oriental weapons
    Every time you overpower a character an angel loses its wings... and implodes.
    If I were a pie I would be Lemon Morang A little sweet a little sour and a lot of fluff
    Catgirl Murderer of the Club of Gaming Reason

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    No Kultrum you win the internet today, you deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok
    I'd rather you be dead then consider not opening a restaurant

6. - Top - End - #6

versatilty on the battlefield is better then good tactics....and its better then a swiss army knife...how butch is an army with a wine opener built into their knife?
    My Current Works

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

versatilty on the battlefield is better then good tactics....and its better then a swiss army knife...how butch is an army with a wine opener built into their knife?
    *in a drill Sargent's accent* Many of you have never opened chardonnay under fire!
    If I were a pie I would be Lemon Morang A little sweet a little sour and a lot of fluff

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

YES! you just won yourself another point Kultrum!
    My Current Works

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Under fire? Heavens, half the point of a war is to drink your enemy's wine in your enemy's house! Any army that goes to war without corkscrews has the wrong idea.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kultrum View Post
    *in a drill Sargent's accent* Many of you have never opened chardonnay under fire!
    must resist urge to add that as an ability

(does anyone else know of a normal weapon (or exotic) that could fesably be made out of a well tied set of Kunai and a staff or any equipment that these could replicate (just though of crowbar adding now) )
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2007-04-16 at 09:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

just becuase intoxication makes the fire fights prettier does not mean you have an excuse to drink, besides real men drink Guinness
    My Current Works

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

well with about 6' rope, 2 trees, 6 kunai, and a few yard o' canvas you got a tent. With a ton of rope and 4 kunai you can make a net for fishing.
    Last edited by Kultrum; 2007-04-16 at 10:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kultrum View Post
    well with about 6' rope, 2 trees, 6 kunai, and a few yard o' canvas you got a tent. With a ton of rope and 4 kunai you can make a net for fishing.
    a wee bit too far out there i.e. not realy the kunai doing that but more of a survival on the first one and just plain rope check on the second

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Ehhm.... Points for effort, but it makes the oter underused weapons jealous and lonely, so you'll have to buff them up too. I suggest you start with shuriken.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

well last time I checked kunai were not a weapon in DnD plus shurkin are not bad at all when you consider you can enchant them like they are ammo then add into that master thrower you can palm throw a bunch and each can have a very effective spell on them.

However I will have to think about the other weapons

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Monk weapon?

I'm not sure what kunai you're looking at, but it doesn't seem like a kunai would make a good crowbar or shovel, to me. As a trowel I suppose it would do, but no better than a normal trowel, which provides no bonus to farming; only a masterwork farming tool would do that. As well, crowbars are the barbarians of the tool world, difficult at best to emulate with a cast iron dagger. The piton idea is pretty clever, though there's actually a different implementation for pitons, check the Climb skill.

Also, I'd pass on the "For every 10 points that you pass this DC you gain a +1 to attack rolls with the kunai". That's what masterwork kunai are for. (I'll let the wear-and-tear mechanics stand. )

That said, a kunai is a wedge... So it'd make an excellent doorstop. It could also be used as a paperweight, plumb bob, or improvised sundial. Other uses include an arrowhead for a ballista, trap spike, slashing flail, meat tenderizer, ankle splint....

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree a on the it not being a good crowbar for say a door but It can be an effective crowbar on a small object (thus the reason I put it in the description) it more or less alows you to get leverage which you normaly could not get.

as far as the shovel its not realy a shovel but more of a garden implement ,plow,hoe,dirt mover...... and I doubt that will come into play often

Hmm to tell you the truth I to am iffy about the +1 to attack with a good check but I don't know I sort of like it hmmm I will have to think further on it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'm a bit iffy on the idea. I don't like the sound of taking a perfectly happy sharp knife and intentionally bending and prying with it (crowbar) pounding it into rock (Pitons, Pick) or dirt (Trowel). I'm certainly not quite getting how you would make spiked armor or shields, either. I'm under the impression that Spiked armor and shields are useful because their spikes do not move, as Kunai on ropes would. Kunai, being throwing weapons, are balanced for throwing. I can see some of these things being used, but as an improvised weapon at best.

I admit that it's no Kunai, but I have a pocket knife that's badly bent because someone tried to pry something open with the knife blade. I can't see how anyone would expect to actually use it in any of these ways.

Just as an aside, do you watch a lot of Naruto?
    Tome of Advancement: A wiki of my fairly basic creations. Everything I have posted here (and more) is available on this wiki. Feel free to use anything, as long as you give me credit for it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angafirith View Post
    I'm a bit iffy on the idea. I don't like the sound of taking a perfectly happy sharp knife and intentionally bending and prying with it (crowbar) pounding it into rock (Pitons, Pick) or dirt (Trowel). I'm certainly not quite getting how you would make spiked armor or shields, either. I'm under the impression that Spiked armor and shields are useful because their spikes do not move, as Kunai on ropes would. Kunai, being throwing weapons, are balanced for throwing. I can see some of these things being used, but as an improvised weapon at best.

I admit that it's no Kunai, but I have a pocket knife that's badly bent because someone tried to pry something open with the knife blade. I can't see how anyone would expect to actually use it in any of these ways.

Just as an aside, do you watch a lot of Naruto?
    Lol actually I made this because to many people watch Naruto

First off you will need to get the silly Impression that kunai is a thrown weapon or even close to balanced for throwing

Actual Kunai were used in a very similar fashion to this. They were used as easily concealed weapons because they were also used as tools in everyday life, but the loop on the end allowed them to be tied to a shaft and made into an effective spear when needed. The extra weapons are not too big of a stretch of the imagination. As for the spiked armor/shield and spiked chain those are a little of a stretch but perfectly plausible as with the proper knots and use of rope you could get a kunai to stand up but not for as long as a weapon would be able to be used for (thus the reduced time)

Now as for the prying a Kunai is made from a different metal then your knife and it is thicker they were used for prying apart old mortar and bricks to fix houses, they were used as gardening utensils, and they were generally abused and they were made from iron not steel for that reason alone.

20. - Top - End - #20

You could always give them a 5 ft. range increment. Then you could throw them but the range penalties would build up at an incredible rate (-10 for the standard 30 ft.) making them almost useless.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

A kunai is poorly balanced for throwing. If you throw it, it should have the -4 penalty for being an improvised weapon. Same as throwing most other weapons without range increments. (Though, rocks make excellent thrown weapons!)

Now as for the prying a Kunai is...
    Steel is more iron than the "iron" you refer to, which is likely cast iron (a different kind of steel, really), which has a higher portion of carbon. To wit: While the pen knife may have bent badly, a cast iron knife of the same thickness would've snapped. Useful cast iron tools are generally thick and heavy for that reason. Steel is just better for hand tools.

As for breaking a lock, a kunai would be no better than any other tool. A hammer or axe could smash anything a kunai could break. A crowbar is ideally suited for breaking things, because it's a heavy tool that gains a tremendous benefit from leverage--a kunai does not.

Though, if you rigged up a complicated pulley system (think Macguyver), you could put some astounding force onto a kunai.
    *Yank*
    KRAKOW!

Also, "its not realy a shovel but more of a garden implement"
    It's still being implied that a kunai (which costs 2 gp) is somehow equivalent to a masterwork farming tool (which costs 50 gp).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

I think its made of iron (I know, really steal of a kind but lower quality) because its cheaper to produce so that people don't really care about breaking it. Also thicker does equal stronger. His case of old mortar is not like breaking rocks in the sense of trying to stab concrete. Old mortar is pretty brittle and can be chipped easily. A kunai is probably better suited to the job than a pen knife because its thicker.
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Lol actually I made this because to many people watch Naruto

First off you will need to get the silly Impression that kunai is a thrown weapon or even close to balanced for throwing

Actual Kunai were used in a very similar fashion to this. They were used as easily concealed weapons because they were also used as tools in everyday life, but the loop on the end allowed them to be tied to a shaft and made into an effective spear when needed. The extra weapons are not too big of a stretch of the imagination. As for the spiked armor/shield and spiked chain those are a little of a stretch but perfectly plausible as with the proper knots and use of rope you could get a kunai to stand up but not for as long as a weapon would be able to be used for (thus the reduced time)

Now as for the prying a Kunai is made from a different metal then your knife and it is thicker they were used for prying apart old mortar and bricks to fix houses, they were used as gardening utensils, and they were generally abused and they were made from iron not steel for that reason alone.
    I suppose I should apologize for responding before doing any research. I suppose the problem is that I see so many people who seem to think that the Katana is some feudal superweapon. I was just joking last night: "I once saw my grandma cut an adamantium M1 Abrahms in half with a period katana". When I see people talk about weaponry (especially Asian and specifically Japanese weaponry) in a way that seems unrealistic to me, I tend to fly off the handle. I'll chalk this up to experience and make sure to look things up first.

I looked at Wikipedia and it seems to agree with you, though most of the article is not cited. If you have any online sources that show how many of these things were done, I'd very much like to see them. I'm genuinely interested in seeing how the knots would be done, among other things. I suppose I should have considered that it could be a normal tool, just like the Kama. I was under the impression that steel used for making sharper tools was generally more brittle, but I suppose something like a trowel would not have been all that sharp.

In terms of balance, I think some of these things might be a little too powerful. For one, a crowbar costs the same as one of your Kunai. Why would anyone purchase a crowbar? For that matter, it seems like any weapon can be used to bust open a chest or other thing. What specifically makes a Kunai more suited to the task than a dagger?
    Tome of Advancement: A wiki of my fairly basic creations. Everything I have posted here (and more) is available on this wiki. Feel free to use anything, as long as you give me credit for it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Under fire? Heavens, half the point of a war is to drink your enemy's wine in your enemy's house! Any army that goes to war without corkscrews has the wrong idea.
    [window crashes, 3 dwarves jump into the room with crossbows and axes]
    "I declare that this tavern has been liberated by the Red Army of the Revolutionary Dwarves Faction!! Now, drop your glasses and go, you imperialist pigs!"

[other window crashes, 3 elves jump into the room with longbows and swords]

"I hearby inform all the patrons of this establishment that the Elf-Gnomish Liberation Brigade has taken control of this area! Evacuate the area immediately and you will not be harmed!"

[Elves and Dwarves look at each other, first in confusion and then menacingly]

"No! This tavern has been already liberated by the Red Army of the Revolutionary Dwarves Faction"

"Aw shutup, you just want to raid the wine cellar"

"That's not true, this place is... er... of strategic importance!"

"Well, we did come for the wine..."

"How'bout we take the Ale, you take the wine..."

"...and we never saw each other"

"Done!"

---

With apologies to Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
    -

Is it evil, Evil, Evil or EVIL?
    Expanded Alignment Rules (PEACH)

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

Instead of that, read Peregrine's lesson

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphimir Míriel View Post
    "I declare that this tavern has been liberated by the Red Army of the Revolutionary Dwarves Faction!! Now, drop your glasses and go, you imperialist pigs!"

"I hearby inform all the patrons of this establishment that the Elf-Gnomish Liberation Brigade has taken control of this area! Evacuate the area immediately and you will not be harmed!"

"No! This tavern has been already liberated by the Red Army of the Revolutionary Dwarves Faction"

"Done!"

---

hehe crowley ftw

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amphimir Míriel View Post

"Done!"

---

Your my hero