New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Exclamation DM horror stories (warning! rage inducing)

So I went to our play group this week, like I have for the past 4 weeks (I go each Thursday), hoping to finally be able to play my character in our level 6 campaign (my character still hasn't been introduced). I flat out told my dm that I was starting to get annoyed that my character wasn't in yet and he said it was the other players' fault because they were going too slow. (Half the time the dm himself derails the game) Well, there was a player who didn't show up so I played his character this time (It was the most unoptimized tier 6 character I had ever seen, but that's for a different time).

I started walking down a hallway that went a different direction from the group (I assumed they wouold follow since they were finished with an encounter). I first cast Detect snares and pits. Nothing. Then I cast and continued to concentrate on a detect magic spell. Still nothing. I started to sprint down the hallway. I continued this action for the next 10 minutes, in game time.

Well, the group decided to attack some kind of dragonlings while on their way towards me. The rogue eventually escaped. The dm told him to use his sentient rope (who the party nicknamed "Bungie") to take me back. (Did I tell you that I had to wait 3 hours for the fight to finish?) Well, apparently Bungie could move pretty damn fast because he caught up to me in ONE ROUND. He then auto succeeded on a grapple check and pulled me back 30ft the next round. I asked why I didn't notice Bungie as I had detect magic on and I should be able to sense magic auras within 60ft. He said it was because Bungie's aura was "divine magic" and not "arcane magic".

"Why don't I get a grapple check?"

"Bungie automatically beats you" (He skips my next turn)

"Whoah wait! What about escape artist check?"

"There's no way you'd win anyways, but fine"

(I roll a 20)

The session ends with me being auto grappled into submission the very next round. Keep in mind this pretty much reversed all I had done in the entire 3 hour play-session.

As you might guess I was pretty pissed so I told him.

"You know, you pretty much negated all I've done this session. I feel like you're reversing all I've done these past three hours just to smite-spite me." (people laugh at me saying "smite" instead of spite)

he says, and I quote,

"What did you have some daddy issues as a kid or something?"

another guy says

"Yeah, if he wanted to spite you he just wouldn't have let you play at all."
    (My thought here was, wasn't that exactly what he was doing the past four weeks?)

So I gave the character sheets I was using back to the dm and left.

Now tell me playground what should I have done? Was I being too arrogant trying to get too far from the party? Should I have just kept my mouth shut when he was houseruling Bungie? I don't know and honestly I'm much too pissed to care. I've wasted a total 15 hours of my life just watching other people play d&d while I do nothing. I had been wanting to play since September 26th and this was just the last straw. I don't think I'm ever playing with that dm again.

If you want to see the statistics for Bungie look in the spoiler,

Spoiler
    Show
    Bungie
    Immune to anything requiring any save.
    Moves NI speed per round.
    Auto succeeds on any grapple or attack roll.
    Cannot be detected through detection spells. (Apparently a detect divine magic spell doesn't exist. Imagine that)
    Level 6 with a +11 LA.
    Whenever destroyed, the closest rope becomes sentient with the same statistics. It then knows exactly where the rogue is and follows him until he catches up.

Back to the thread title
    I decided to dedicate this thread to dm stories similar or worse than this one. If you have a dm nightmare post it and we'll all rage together. (And yes I know about that one where the guy got stabbed (in real life), no need to link it)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DM horror stories (warning! rage inducing)

Legendxp,

If you are joining a group and you have to wait more than one session, don't. Most often if the DM is looking for more players they will figure out a way to include you pretty quickly.

If the DM can't include you quickly, they should talk to you about it and make sure you don't sit around bored for a session. I can see them having you sit in on ONE session to see if its a game you like, but only if they've discussed it with you ahead of time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um, yeah... normally I would say you're throwing a hissy fit because you're only complaining and not really asking for advice, however I would say that DM is bad.

If you have a new player it's super easy to incorporate them, like you walk into a room and you see a guy, he seems to be looking for the same thing you are, and seems like a nice guy. Tell the party to talk it over and go get a beer or two.

Bungie is a DM fiat, and that's fine, they have rights to do all sorts of stuff. At least it wasn't the map from Dora the Explorer who could tell you how to get anywhere but sang while doing it, and with an annoying voice.

Overall, I'd say that DM was just bad.

As far as DM horror stories, I'll share one from a while ago.
    Spoiler
    Show

I should have known this was going to be bad because the DM said 'I want to finish the quest of one of my characters that never got finished'. A DMPC is almost always the wrong issue.

We are given stats for our characters by the DM, and I'm playing a Dwarven Fighter/Warblade tank so my Charisma is 4 which is the equivalent of a 'Dire Rat' but all other stats are good. So I make his a veteran fighter and foul mouthed ******* and he's full tank with like 49 AC at level 7 but does 1d8+3 damage, not much of anything important.

Our party is non-descript we have a psionic person with only social skills, etc.
    A rogue who uses a crossbow, and the DMPC a dwarven cleric who is out for revenge on her father the necromancer.

Anyways it was a giant 'look how cool my last PC was' campaign where we ended up befriending a group of Kobolds (because my character helped one out). So literally other than my guy being a giant ass to everyone and interrupting people no one did anything, except the DMPC who did everything else.

The DM stops the 'doing nothing' for two weeks and every session wants to talk about how D&D is totally screwed up be because they don't really equate for helmets. After wasting a couple sessions telling him that helmets are part of some armor, but its D&D logic doesn't apply, etc. I left.
    I am what lurks under your bridge, I am the troll...

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiler: IC Trophies
    Show
    LIV Silver Auric Goldbones
    LVII Bronze Adlib

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Well... assuming you aren't lying.

In all my 25 years of DMing I have never screwed with another human being the way he screwed with you. What you have here is an egomaniac with his little kingdom of suck ups. If you have other options, take them. Game with anyone else over this guy.

"Bungie"? Seriously? Holy Hell. I would rather have someone commit surgery on my testicles with rusty dental tools that were on fire then ever create a self aware magic ANYTHING called BUNGIE. I want to take away his DM card. I bet he even chuckles to himself when he says "Bungie" out loud. It's people like him that make me wish for a zombopocolypse. Reading your post killed a small part of my soul.

5. - Top - End - #5

Legendxp: It looks like you just got railroaded. Never a pleasant experience really. That being said...if your relation of what they said is accurate these don't sound like they are your friends given their responses. Maybe I'm just seeing a bad side of them, but..why are you playing with them?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

The whole point of being a DM is to make a story that everyone enjoys and is challenged by. If a player sits around and does nothing for a whole session (let alone more than one session), then the DM has no excuse for not diverging from the main scene with the others to set you up. This doesn't require huge creativity, and can often be done with a minimum of the choo choo train.

Heck, I just ran a session for four players in Exalted last weekend in which none of them started out knowing each other, they were free to mainly do whatever, and several of the characters weren't even aware of the general thrust of the plot (or didn't particularly care starting out), and in which I didn't know most of the rules (role play heavy session ). By the end, everyone had more or less hired onto the main plot, we'd all gotten a nice primer on how the rules generally worked, and I shuffled from player to player often enough that none of them had to wait more than a half-hour (out of a six hour session) to do something.

It's not rocket science to let people that want to play play. But it is pretty stupid to irritate and alienate the people that keep the DM in business (the players).
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-10-24 at 10:41 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Rogue uses bungie to grapple the BBEG and end the game!

Congrats, you won D&D, and had to do nothing.

Wasen't that fun :D

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That DM sounds like a ****. His argument of arcane vs. divine magic is crap - the spell detects magic of any kind. Oddly enough he did miss the obvious which is that detect magic only works on a cone in front of you, if the rope came up from behind you wouldn't detect it.

It's one thing if a DM does something to annoy you. But if you call them out on it and they act like even more of a ****, just walk away. You aren't going to be having fun playing with them so it's just not worth the effort of arguing.

9. - Top - End - #9

I feel for you man but ive only had a few bad dnd moments and after session one i quit. First was a guy who was railroading us and dm fiating every clever trick i did (i killed one guy in an unconvential way and was basically told off for kill stealing) and the second one is the only real one that got me pissed off

Were on the postive energy plane, somehow theres like 30 devils, and long story short we fight them. They have 6 hell cats, 20 succubis, 4 of the CR 16 Devils (I cant recall the name) and a pit fiend. Well, my group is weak and im the big guy in the group. Were all level 10, but i built without giving an inch for what i wanted to do. To condence the battle, the 8 other party members beat on the hell cats and succubis why'll i crushed the CR 16 guys. Then the pit fiend comes. Well again my group is weak as heck and i know the fiend may well beat me if the dice go his way. The weakest built dwarf fighter i have ever seen decides to charge it, and i know hes about to die. So the group charges and the fiend throws maxamized quickened fireball around itself then takes down the group. The DM thinks im going down. I didnt. I beat the fiend bad, and the group was able to live because the ranger with diehard healed everyone. Seems like a good little tail right? Well the whole time im kicking this guys ass the DM is getting mad. Really mad. When i break the fiends neck he literally slams his book down and goes out for a smoke. Well its late, i have to work the next day, i go home. Come to find out, the DM sat there and trash talked me for hours about how i was broken and rruining the game, and talked the party into the same thought line, instead of admitting he threw us against way to much and i had to go balls to the wall to save our back sides. Thats the one session that bugged me, and its because DnD basically turned my friends into a mob who disliked me and talked behind my back. Thats my horror story
    "Every sinner has a future and every saint has a past"

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Ort is right
    I added to your thread wins, you added to my Sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Legendxp View Post
    "Why don't I get a grapple check?"

"Bungie automatically beats you" (He skips my next turn)

"Whoah wait! What about escape artist check?"

"There's no way you'd win anyways, but fine"

(I roll a 20)

The session ends with me being auto grappled into submission the very next round. Keep in mind this pretty much reversed all I had done in the entire 3 hour play-session.

As you might guess I was pretty pissed so I told him.

"You know, you pretty much negated all I've done this session. I feel like you're reversing all I've done these past three hours just to smite-spite me." (people laugh at me saying "smite" instead of spite)

he says, and I quote,

"What did you have some daddy issues as a kid or something?"

another guy says

"Yeah, if he wanted to spite you he just wouldn't have let you play at all."
    (My thought here was, wasn't that exactly what he was doing the past four weeks?)
    That's absolutely ****ing ridiculous. I have never heard of a DM so bad. You made the right call.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I give him props, he was able to run a game with 8 folks in it...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

@OP: My god. I've only heard one worse horror story and thats the SUE Files DM.
    Due to mental stuff in my head I find it hard to understand normal human behaviour.
    If I do something wrong PM me what is wrong. And do not be subtle, I need a kick in the pants sometimes to realize Im a jerk.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

DM Horror Stories?

Here's one of mine.
    The Real Alignments Handbook, Save Points & Strife
    4e-Like Passives for 3.5e, Comprehensive Spell Points Tables, Line-of-Sight vs Line-of-Effect
    Rule #1 for conversing with me: As soon as you use all-caps for an entire statement or clause, you lose.
    Rule #2 for conversing with me: RAW-tards and other close-minded folks automatically lose.

If you're complaining about the OP's premise, please... stop, as you're probably not helping.

14. - Top - End - #14

Well at least nobody got stabbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Bail from the game. Hell if you're in the Maryland area I'll offer to run something for you just to give you an excuse to bail from the game. No one should be forced to be a spectator for other people. Period.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

On the road, heading to an abandoned church.

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm echoing what most of the other people have said... you should have bailed after the first session of no introduction. It sounds like not the most 'serious' game... so he should have been able to introduce your character easily. Hell, a simple "Your character is also wandering in this dungeon" would have sufficed.

-.-

Do not go back to this group. It would be, put simply, a major mistake.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You totally got Rick-roaded.

If you live in the omaha ne/council bluffs ia area, my group rocks.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

We were playing 2nd edition adnd and somehow a huge in party fight started between the dm's npcs, whom were hischaracters when he played and the players. Wanting the fighting to cease, I cast a spell called Calm Chaos. there was no save or sr to the spell, simply a charisma check. the check was rolled and approved by the dm and he even stated, ok it works, now what are the effects?

I read the spell discription saying than anyone within range would stop and actions and listen intently on what the caster spoke untill the end of the spells duration. The dm asked to see the book and so i showed it to him and even opened the book to the page the spell was listed.

He read the spell for himself and saw it was stated as I had said. He huffed and shook his head and said in that case the spell doent work because he didnt have access to that book. Then he grinned in a matter of factly way. I asked him if he were serious and he said yes.

I then told him all my wizards spells were taken from that book and witjout blinking an eye, he said then i guess you should roll up a new character at level 1 (and the party was level 7 or 8) and be introduced to the party, or pack up my books and he would call me when that campaign had ended.

I packed up and never returned.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, as you are crunchy and good with hot sauce.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

And he didn't even give you a full set of custom relics? You're right he is a terrible DM.

Seriously though that sounds awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm what are your working fee's/what did you spend to get to the place?

Fee them, if they aren't friends, for your expenses of WASTING YOUR GOD DAMN TIME.

I sadly or luckily have no real horror stories as the most annoying this was the DSA campaign I was in where my character was screwed over, laughed at for in character things and smack talked.

Or the time we tried us in an Orc/Goblins campaign where I played a CN Dumb as **** Orc and proceeded to roll nothing lower than a 15 the whole evening and irritating the dm resulting in the death of another player.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    And he didn't even give you a full set of custom relics? You're right he is a terrible DM.

Seriously though that sounds awful.
    Is that a reference to visigani's "VoP Doesn't suck" thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dethkruzer View Post
    Is that a reference to visigani's "VoP Doesn't suck" thread?
    It would just about have to be. I've gotta wonder if it's going to become the new monk with cross-class UMD and partially charged wands.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    It would just about have to be. I've gotta wonder if it's going to become the new monk with cross-class UMD and partially charged wands.
    Who came up with the idea that monks could cross-class UMD? And moreso, what would it achieve? just out of curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dethkruzer View Post
    Who came up with the idea that monks could cross-class UMD? And moreso, what would it achieve? just out of curiosity.
    My understanding is that it originated in this thread. It's pretty classic, as such things go.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AzureKnight View Post
    He huffed and shook his head and said in that case the spell doent work because he didnt have access to that book. Then he grinned in a matter of factly way. I asked him if he were serious and he said yes.

I then told him all my wizards spells were taken from that book and witjout blinking an eye, he said then i guess you should roll up a new character at level 1 (and the party was level 7 or 8) and be introduced to the party, or pack up my books and he would call me when that campaign had ended.
    Shouldn't a DM at least mention beforehand which sources are allowed and which are not? And secondly, this basically means your wizard reached level 7 or 8 without ever casting any spells... That's either the most parasitic-to-the-rest-of-the-team wizard, or the most bad-ass wizard i've ever heard of.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes, a level 1 character in a campaign for level 7 is SO MUCH FUN. Pretty lame excuse to get rid of a character.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raezeman View Post
    Shouldn't a DM at least mention beforehand which sources are allowed and which are not? And secondly, this basically means your wizard reached level 7 or 8 without ever casting any spells... That's either the most parasitic-to-the-rest-of-the-team wizard, or the most bad-ass wizard i've ever heard of.
    I think the idea is that he's been casting spells from that book the whole time, but when the DM decided he didn't like a single spell from the book, he changed his mind and banned the whole think, aka the wizard's entire arsenal
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Originally posted by Raven777
    Well at least nobody got stabbed.
    Heh, yeah I guess that is an upside.

Originally posted by Pickford
    It looks like you just got railroaded. Never a pleasant experience really. That being said...if your relation of what they said is accurate these don't sound like they are your friends given their responses. Maybe I'm just seeing a bad side of them, but..why are you playing with them?
    I'm desperate for d&d play. There is nobody even close to where I live that likes to play d&d. Honestly, the people weren't even that bad until tonight. I just think they didn't like me calling the dm out.

Originally posted by Tim Proctor
    Um, yeah... normally I would say you're throwing a hissy fit because you're only complaining and not really asking for advice, however I would say that DM is bad.
    Actually... You're right. I let my anger get the best of me while I was typing my post. People have to remember that there are two sides to every story. I REALLY want to know what the dm was thinking though because he was seriously making some big mistakes.

Originally posted by holywhippet
    Oddly enough he did miss the obvious which is that detect magic only works on a cone in front of you, if the rope came up from behind you wouldn't detect it.
    Yeah, I totally missed that. I don't often play spellcasters and have very few of the spells memorized. I'm also wondering why he didn't call me out on that. >_>

EDIT:

Originally posted by AzureKnight
    *snip*
    Wow, that sucks man. I really feel for you on that one.

Originally posted by Zombulian
    Yeah, I KNOW. I mean come on, who DOESN'T give out custom relics to everybody?
    Last edited by Legendxp; 2013-10-25 at 08:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Legendxp View Post
    I'm desperate for d&d play. There is nobody even close to where I live that likes to play d&d. Honestly, the people weren't even that bad until tonight. I just think they didn't like me calling the dm out.
    You can play on Skype over the interwebs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    You can play on Skype over the interwebs!
    or pbp or ask in a FLGS or in a regional forum or or or.

My Old group I met with via meeting new people and "befriending" them. The new group we searched in a forum that specialised in these things for Aachen. Albeit there seem to be two other boards albeit one only for LARP and the other for Vampire and all 3 hate each other...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman