New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q220:

What type of Power Attack bonus would I get on a Charging attack with a Lance? The Lance is a 2h weapon, but I'm wielding it with 1h as per the special rules for Lance. So is that a 1h bonus for PA or 2h bonus?

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A220 While there is nothing wrong with it by RAW since it's technically a two-handed weapon, it was clearly intended for power attack to be decided by the current "handedness". I would argue that getting a normal bonus in this case (you're already getting double or tripple damage anyway) is RAI.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q221:

What happens when the combat maneuvers bull rush and grapple are used on a mounted unit? Does the mount move with the target? If so, who in the case of a grapple would receive the grappled condition?

Look everyone this image is a link!

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q222 Is there any way for a magus to use a metamagic rod, cast a spell, spellstrike with it, and then proceed with spell combat for a full attack?

For this thought experiment assume that the rod is not also the weapon (that would be the obvious solution). Since you need a hand free to cast a spell, you would need to put away your weapon but spellstrike ability only allows you to make an attack with a weapon you're wielding at the time of casting. You might be able to get away with quickdraw by putting the weapon away, casting the spell, then drawing the weapon again as a free action. But then spell combat requires that you have the other hand free so using quickdraw to then also stash the rod is stretching it a bit far.

I thought weaponwand spell would also let me use a rod but apparently it only works for wands (clearly). I could research a similar spell for rods but that's outside the scope of the rules since it's up to my GM's discretion.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q223
    Do you need to make any checks at all to make guns and ammunition with the gunsmith feat? Do you just need time and money?
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A223 No. Says so in the description:
    Quote Originally Posted by d20pfsrd.com
    You do not need to make a Craft check to create firearms and ammunition or to restore firearms.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q224 - When you give an Eidolon the slam evolution, does it receive one or two such attack forms per limb evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/summoner.html
    Slam (Ex): An eidolon can deliver a devastating slam attack. This attack is a primary attack. The slam deals 1d8 points of damage (2d6 if Large, 2d8 if Huge). The eidolon must have the limbs (arms) evolution to take this evolution. Alternatively, the eidolon can replace the claws from its base form with this slam attack (this still costs 1 evolution point). This evolution can be selected more than once, but the eidolon must possess an equal number of the limbs evolution.
    I tend to understand that only one, but I'm not so sure.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q225

Does Fire resist 5 provide you any benefit vs the damage you take from high temperatures in the desert?

It seems logical to me that it would help, so long as you've plenty of water, but I couldn't find anything saying it did, so I wanted to ask here before I report back to my dm that were going to have to make lots of fort saves lol

I am credible! Proof below!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I came up with a line of reasoning and resulting numbers and they turned out to be the same as JoeYounger's.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A224 Yes, Slam attack takes two limbs. Imagine a gorilla slamming something with both arms if you're having trouble seeing it. Also note that replacing your Claw attacks still only gives you one Slam attack, not one per Claw attack.

A225 Unfortunately, environmental dangers are very poorly defined and all environmental damage is untyped nonlethal damage. While by RAW, resistance won't help, your GM should be urged to assume that it makes you immune to environmental damage. As a comparison, any fire resistance makes you immune to lava, so a bit of dry heat shouldn't pose a problem. Also note that deserts get freezing cold at night, you don't want to casually stroll through the desert at day and then freeze when the sun sets.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    A225 Unfortunately, environmental dangers are very poorly defined and all environmental damage is untyped nonlethal damage. While by RAW, resistance won't help, your GM should be urged to assume that it makes you immune to environmental damage. As a comparison, any fire resistance makes you immune to lava, so a bit of dry heat shouldn't pose a problem. Also note that deserts get freezing cold at night, you don't want to casually stroll through the desert at day and then freeze when the sun sets.
    Your comparison is wrong. Fire resistance only gives resistance to lava not immunity. I do agree with the rest.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by mikau013 View Post
    Your comparison is wrong. Fire resistance only gives resistance to lava not immunity. I do agree with the rest.
    Actually the rules haven't changed since 3.5 as far as I can tell, hence any resistance to fire grants immunity to lava.
    Immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma.
    Is it silly? Yes. But it's still RAW.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Actually the rules haven't changed since 3.5 as far as I can tell, hence any resistance to fire grants immunity to lava.
    Is it silly? Yes. But it's still RAW.
    They have changed. Check the lastest errata

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Ah, you're right, I didn't pay any attention to what was changed in the fifth printing. It's odd that they still haven't updated the SRD though. I guess that means no more chillin' in a volcano.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Q226

Does the Befuddling Strike Rogue Talent stack with its self?

Benefit: When the rogue deals sneak attack damage against an opponent, that opponent takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls against the rogue for 1d4 rounds.
    It looks like it would, and wouldn't seem so bad if it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A226 As far as I know, unless it explicitly says so, same effects from the same source don't stack, you just increase the duration (unless it's shorter from the current one).

16. - Top - End - #586
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A226 As far as I know, unless it explicitly says so, same effects from the same source don't stack, you just increase the duration (unless it's shorter from the current one).
    Could you provide a source for that? Afaik only bonusses from the same type don't stack, penalties are called out specifically with 'Most penalties do stack'.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Actually the correct quote is:
    Penalties do not have a type and most penalties stack with one another.
    The "with one another" meaning two separate penalties (i.e. different sources).

To my knowledge a penalty is nothing more than a negative bonus (a malus if you will) and the rules state that the same principles apply (can't find which section, perhaps under magic).

Besides, it would be a nightmare keeping track of the penalties if those from the same source stacked. You can sneak attack like 5 times in a round and each would have a different duration. I doubt Paizo is training us to be accountants.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q227 When under the effects of illusion of calm, does it also cover up verbal components of spells you cast? What happens if you attack someone? Also what happens when you move away from the original spot? Does the image go with you? Does it stay there? If so, are you basically invisible for as long as it lasts? It seems a bit much for a figment, that would make invisibility useless, so I'm guessing no.

The spell's wording fails to describe it fully so I've been avoiding it for a while now but it could have its uses regardless of the scope.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Pixie in the Playground

Q228

The text on the first ability of the Swashbuckler archetype is unclear, does it mean that the rogue gets to take the combat trick rogue talent twice at level 1 or, or simply that the rogue may take that talent twice?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...s/swashbuckler

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarin View Post
    Q228

The text on the first ability of the Swashbuckler archetype is unclear, does it mean that the rogue gets to take the combat trick rogue talent twice at level 1 or, or simply that the rogue may take that talent twice?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...s/swashbuckler
    A228

All it says is "she may take the combat trick rogue talent up to two times." So she doesn't get it for free at level 1, but can pick that rogue talent twice instead of once like all other rogues.

Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

Q229
    How does a character with Guided Hand using a Guided weapon work? Just one Wis to attack and wis to damage from guided, or 2x wis mod to attack and 1x wis to damage?

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Q229
    How does a character with Guided Hand using a Guided weapon work? Just one Wis to attack and wis to damage from guided, or 2x wis mod to attack and 1x wis to damage?
    A229

Guided is not an official Pathfinder weapon property so there is no official PF answer to that question.

However, it seems clear that it would be wisdom to hit and damage, since you can't double replace your strength modifier for any additional benefit.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #593
    Pixie in the Playground

Q230
    Does maintaining a grapple to inflict unarmed damage fulfill the requirement of feats such as Belier's Bite and Boar Style?

Q231
    Does Stunning Pin allow you to make an Unarmed Attack + Stunning Fist attempt as a swift action? Or does it jump past the Unarmed Attack for just the Stun attempt?

Q232
    The special attack grab gained by Tetori at lvl 8 states that "Creatures with grab receive a +4 bonus on combat maneuver checks made to start and maintain a grapple." Does this apply for all grapples, or only grapples made by spending a Ki Point to use grab?

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A230 I would say yes, looking at the rules, I can see nothing wrong with it.

A231 Stunning Fist is part of an attack and triggers when the opponent is damaged by that attack, so yes, I would assume that you get to make an unarmed attack although it's unclear whether you actually have to roll to hit the pinned creature or if the damage is part of the pin (I'm leaning toward the latter option).

A232 Since you can only use this ability when expending points from the ki pool, you most likely only gain its benefits when doing so.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Pixie in the Playground

Q233
    What time of action is required to use Using the Tetori's lvl 8 feature (grab for a Ki Point)? The "grab" special attack is stated to be a free action, but does a Tetori Monk have to use use a swift action to spend the Ki Point?

26. - Top - End - #596
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hi,

Q234) Is there a feat grant an alchimist to throw his bombs without causing attack of opportunities?

Q235) Can alchimist use wands with a spell from their spell list without a use magical device check?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Zefir; 2012-02-03 at 06:46 AM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Hi,

Q234) Is there a feat grant an alchimist to throw his bombs without causing attack of opportunities?

Q235) Can alchimist use wands with a spell from their spell list without a use magical device check?

Thanks in advance!
    A234

I don't believe so. Point Blank Master would work, if it weren't for the Weapon Specialization requirement (bombs don't count as a valid weapon for that feat)

A235

No, they cannot use spell-trigger items without UMD, even if it appears on their formulae list.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

28. - Top - End - #598
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q236) for crafting an item you need for example caster level 8 but you are only 5.
    the rule says
    The DC to create a magic item increases by +5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet
    do you add now +15 to the dc for each level missing or just +5 ?

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A236 Caster level is generally not a prerequisite for magic items (you will find those under "Construction: Requirements" in each item's description), the only exceptions are scrolls, potions, and wands, where the creators set the caster level themselves. So unless there's an actual CL requirement (such as with Cloak of Resistance for example), you don't have to increase the DC at all. If there happens to be such a prerequisite, then you only increase the the DC once.

Note that some GMs insist that your CL needs to be at least equal to that of the item you're creating although I believe there's no such requirement in the RAW.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q237 When under the effect of "Alter Self", does that register as a magical effect under "Detect Magic"? Does it register as the same effect when using a magic item that casts "Alter Self"? And finally and most important, as i suspect a yes on both these questions before, does it register as a magical effect when i'm using the druids "A Thousand Faces"?

Q238 The description of the polymorph descriptor says
    Unless otherwise noted, polymorph spells cannot be used to change into specific individuals. Although many of the fine details can be controlled, your appearance is always that of a generic member of that creature's type.
    The question now is: Can i use a spell to change to a creature with the fine details of my choosing, then change back, and afterwards change to the same creature i was before? Or would that count as a specific individual?

Q239 If i have an item for casting "Alter Self", usable at will, does the effect still wear off after [CL] minutes? Can i just sustain it as a standard action? Or do i have to cast it again?