New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Reach for my hand, I'll soar away.

Okay so here's a question: what do the triple stars mean next to some of the weapon proficiency and stuff?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

That means the person has a hidden potential. Byleth for example has a hidden potential in... faith, I think. Once you get sufficiently trained in faith you'll unlock a up potential there, even if you start with a down potential, and you'll also unlock an ability, like avoid +10 when you are equipped with white magic.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    That means the person has a hidden potential. Byleth for example has a hidden potential in... faith, I think. Once you get sufficiently trained in faith you'll unlock a up potential there, even if you start with a down potential, and you'll also unlock an ability, like avoid +10 when you are equipped with white magic.
    Fascinating. God there's so many interesting mechanics in the school section I kinda don't want it to end.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You can hit a lot of prereqs by switching up goals. The weekly skill gains from goals is a LOT, probably more than the one-on-one teaching. And eventually you can get extral teaching bonuses from renown through the saint statue restoration, so do not neglect quests!

And classes do not restrict weapons! They only give extra skill xp, I think.
    From what I've seen so far classes also affect stat growths. And the big thing they DO restrict is magic. You're either a magic user or you're not until the final tier of classes. It's basically impossible to have a fighter that "dabbles" in magic, because they're required to be in a magic class and thus wind up with magic stat growths instead of strength focused ones.

Most of my issues come from the master tier of classes. There seem to be fewer of them than the other classes, forcing you to condense your team down. You can't "just" be a Black Magic user at top tier - you also have to pick a weapon specialization and are either a Mortal Savant or Dark Knight. No in-between.

The other thing that bugs me is that the requirements are seriously uneven. Unless you want to be a Falcon Knight, the highest Lance skill you need for any Master class is rank C. If you want to promote though, you'll need a B+ and an A in two different skills - ones that your lance using cavalry unit won't have been touching until that point. In many cases because it's impossible - skills like Heavy Armor, Faith, or Reason are required.

I mean, maybe level 30 is far enough away that it will turn out to be moot. It still bugs me that the game forces my Mage units to pick up a sword, even if they in no way have the stats to use the thing.

---

On a happier note: I am a disturbed individual.

One of the spells Lysithea has learned is called "Dark Spike T". I cannot think of this spell as anything other than "Dark Spiked Tentacles", and from there my mind inevitably goes to Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.

Spoiler: Especially after in chapter 6...
    Show
    Facing down the Death Knight, almost none of my characters could even injure him seriously, and the rest could only do a third of his HP and would take almost their entire HP bar in return. Up walks Lysithea and one shots him with a 42 damage Dark Spike...d Tentacles of Intrusion. The horror! The horror!

My Lysithea has definitely been studying at the Vaarsuvius School of Problem Solving.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-07-27 at 05:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    From what I've seen so far classes also affect stat growths. And the big thing they DO restrict is magic. You're either a magic user or you're not until the final tier of classes. It's basically impossible to have a fighter that "dabbles" in magic, because they're required to be in a magic class and thus wind up with magic stat growths instead of strength focused ones.

Most of my issues come from the master tier of classes. There seem to be fewer of them than the other classes, forcing you to condense your team down. You can't "just" be a Black Magic user at top tier - you also have to pick a weapon specialization and are either a Mortal Savant or Dark Knight. No in-between.

The other thing that bugs me is that the requirements are seriously uneven. Unless you want to be a Falcon Knight, the highest Lance skill you need for any Master class is rank C. If you want to promote though, you'll need a B+ and an A in two different skills - ones that your lance using cavalry unit won't have been touching until that point. In many cases because it's impossible - skills like Heavy Armor, Faith, or Reason are required.

I mean, maybe level 30 is far enough away that it will turn out to be moot. It still bugs me that the game forces my Mage units to pick up a sword, even if they in no way have the stats to use the thing.

---

On a happier note: I am a disturbed individual.

One of the spells Lysithea has learned is called "Dark Spike T". I cannot think of this spell as anything other than "Dark Spiked Tentacles", and from there my mind inevitably goes to Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.

Spoiler: Especially after in chapter 6...
    Show
    Facing down the Death Knight, almost none of my characters could even injure him seriously, and the rest could only do a third of his HP and would take almost their entire HP bar in return. Up walks Lysithea and one shots him with a 42 damage Dark Spike...d Tentacles of Intrusion. The horror! The horror!

My Lysithea has definitely been studying at the Vaarsuvius School of Problem Solving.
    Spoiler
    Show

I have yet to be able to down the Dark Knight (i am playing on hard as well)...My mages don't deal near enough damage for this to happen. Probably doesn't help that felix (my main offensive nuke) has bad mag growth...He's otherwise a fantastic mage
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Female, Golden Deer, named Fizzle.

I'm hoping blademaster shows up in the advanced list because my PC is going down that path. One thing that's been tripping me up is not knowing which classes block proficiencies. For example, The Deer has someone with strengths in spear and reason. You promote him to anything other than Monk (and I do not need more squishies) and he loses the ability to cast spells in combat.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, okay. Just finished Byleth/Edelgard C+ support conversation.

Spoiler: FOR REAL DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED
    Show
    She's the result of experiments to imbue her with a major crest? The whole thing is monstrous. I have mad respect for how she distances the Prime Minister, her torturer, from his son, Ferdinand. I would have absolutely nothing to do him if even a fraction of that happened to me.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

My personal favorite Support conversation so far is the first conversation between Lorenz and Marianne.

Spoiler
    Show
    He tries so hard to flirt with her, and just goes down in FLAMES. I was laughing my ass off the whole time as he got more and more flustered as she ignored his advances.

Oh, and I've had an interesting thing happen with the Supports as well. I've gotten a B Support with Marianne and as far as I can tell that's as far as it can go at School level...but I also have a B support with Leonie that is blocked for some reason. It just tells me time has to pass, which means not getting the B support until some story event has occurred. I'm brimming with curiosity to know what that will be (and why with Leonie in particular?).

It just occurred to me that it might be Paralogue related, and if so that would be awesome. The Paralogues in the past games always felt a bit...isolated. If we can have it so Paralogues affect Supports...

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

There's definitely supports that are blocked by main story chapters - Edelgard's C support is blocked untilafter Faye's kidnapping and rescue.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

So, I'm curious - anyone have opinions on whether it's best to stick with lower-tier classes until mastery, or just jump into the higher-tier ones? I got everyone to master their initial class for that hp+5 skill, but for many of them that meant not promoting immediately or reclassing back to commoner/noble to get those last few points despite having access to the beginner classes. And now I'm starting to get access to intermediate classes, and nobody is anywhere near mastering a basic class yet, so if I delay for that, I'll probably be getting access to advanced classes by the time I get there... just not sure whether the benefits of class mastery are worth that.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #71

Flumph

What you get from a class mastery is a skill that fills one of five skill slots which look like they will eventually get a lot of competition because multiple skills unlock through increasing your proficiencies as well.

There will probably be some class skills that are highly worthwhile, but I don't think they're going to be super important to max as you go.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So, I'm curious - anyone have opinions on whether it's best to stick with lower-tier classes until mastery, or just jump into the higher-tier ones? I got everyone to master their initial class for that hp+5 skill, but for many of them that meant not promoting immediately or reclassing back to commoner/noble to get those last few points despite having access to the beginner classes. And now I'm starting to get access to intermediate classes, and nobody is anywhere near mastering a basic class yet, so if I delay for that, I'll probably be getting access to advanced classes by the time I get there... just not sure whether the benefits of class mastery are worth that.
    I am playing on hard. HP +5 is definitely not worth it. Myrmidon gets swap and speed +2, Mage gets pull back and magic +2. I dunno what the others get. The further you go down the track the better the skills become but I don't know enough to comment at this stage.

Edit: I have been playing all weekend and I am still not passed part 1. This is a massive game, even by fire emblem standards. Nothing feels like a chore though it's very well made.

Character impressions- I find everyone interesting and multilayered. I am surprised by whom I like and those that I don't like I can understand why they behave the way they do, looking at you Sylvain.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2019-07-28 at 04:58 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Flumph

The HP+5s are a little boost to the very early game, but they'll be very quickly outclassed by other class abilities, the beefier your boys and girls get the less valuable a flat bonus is going to be.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

I already have the hp+5 on everyone, so that's not really the issue. It's the basic classes - Myrmidon, Soldier, Fighter, and Monk - that I need to weigh whether to master or move on from.

At the moment, I'm moving on with the few characters that I can, but I'm interested in knowing if anyone thinks that the mastery benefits are worth waiting for.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I already have the hp+5 on everyone, so that's not really the issue. It's the basic classes - Myrmidon, Soldier, Fighter, and Monk - that I need to weigh whether to master or move on from.

At the moment, I'm moving on with the few characters that I can, but I'm interested in knowing if anyone thinks that the mastery benefits are worth waiting for.
    It really depends on the class.

For example, Mercenary gets Vantage. My female Byleth is definitely going for that, as Hero is not an option for her, and Vantage can be a GREAT effect to have.

Thief, meanwhile, gets Steal. I generally don't use Steal much, so plan to upgrade my thief to assassin ASAP, as that keeps the parts I care about.

Myrmidon, Soldier, fighter, and Monk each get Stat +2 and a support positioning ability. If I'm, like, 10 points away from it when they hit level 10 and ready to swap sure, I'll pick that up, but it wasn't a priority. I've definitely gotten use out of my healer's Draw Back when I wind up with someone one space closer than I'd like.

Unfortunately, I know of no way to check what the mastery ability(s) is/are ahead of time in game. I've been using Serene's Forest.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Chapter 9
    Show
    Son of a BANDERSNATCH! Even TIME TRAVEL can't stop the death flags! I knew she was evil

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Chapter 9
    Show
    Son of a BANDERSNATCH! Even TIME TRAVEL can't stop the death flags! I knew she was evil
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean that begs the question as to why you can't travel further back in time to save the day...but still I was impressed with how they handled it. It didn't feel that cheap

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Has anyone made it to the time skip yet? How many students have you recruited before then? I've only managed two so far, but I have like 4 more that are annoyingly close.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone made it to the time skip yet? How many students have you recruited before then? I've only managed two so far, but I have like 4 more that are annoyingly close.
    I am nearly to the time skip part and have only managed one...yep one...

I am finding though that I genuinely do not need more than what your class gives you.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I am nearly to the time skip part and have only managed one...yep one...

I am finding though that I genuinely do not need more than what your class gives you.
    It does get helpful to have a couple extra recruits, as the last mission I did finally moved up to 11 people on the field. There's also an adjutant slot to fill, meaning that to field a full army you would need 12 people by this point.

Fortunately, there are people easier to recruit than those from other classes. Cyril (the servant boy) literally only cares about level, and I also recruited one of the knights on my first attempt despite Byleth not sharing a single skill in common with them.

For the other students, if you don't share their skills it seems to be really difficult to attract them. I have a C support with Ashe and he's kinda-sorta interested but still won't join. I think I'm probably just not going to worry about it. I made the mistake of playing on Normal, so it's not like I'm going to have a hard time even if I field an undersized squad. On subsequent playthroughs I'll actually have an idea of who I want, and will be able to manage the "Lost Items" system a lot better.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Haha! Gift-spamming does work! You don't even need to match what they love, everyone will fall to mass roses eventually - usually around support level b.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not as far in as most of you seem to be - month 6, I believe - and I just picked up two. Leonie and Shamir.

Leonie I was actively working towards, perhaps too much so, even, as training my Byleth in spears took away from her sword advancement enough to delay me promoting her to Mercenary by several levels. I was able to recruit her at 20 strength, D+ spear rank, and C support.

Shamir I have no idea how I qualified for, I was just surprised to see that asking to recruit her was an option, tried it, and she agreed. She's not a student anyway, so probably follows different rules than the others.

Not sure who else I'll go for. Looks like Felix might be an easy one to grab (if you're not already Blue Lion and have him by default), since he only wants sword skill and speed. He's the only person who wants sword skill though, so branching out is going to be needed for most of the rest.

Edit: So, in month 6 (Horsebow Moon)...
    Spoiler
    Show
    While searching for what happened to Flayn I've reached a point where I can look for Jeritz in his quarters, but get a message warning me it will end the month. Is that literal, it'll skip the entire rest of the month if I do it, in which case I should wait for the end of the month? That's several weeks of activities I'll lose if I do it now if so, since I'm on the first weekend of the month at the moment.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-07-29 at 04:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: So, in month 6 (Horsebow Moon)...
    Spoiler
    Show
    While searching for what happened to Flayn I've reached a point where I can look for Jeritz in his quarters, but get a message warning me it will end the month. Is that literal, it'll skip the entire rest of the month if I do it, in which case I should wait for the end of the month? That's several weeks of activities I'll lose if I do it now if so, since I'm on the first weekend of the month at the moment.
    Yes, I don't understand why it needs to happen.

Also I've made it passed that certain point in the game. All I am gonna say is that the story keeps getting better and better. Seriously IS where you hiding your writters in the 3ds games (bar echoes) !? The story is better than awakenings, and way better than fates.

Class wise I finally made Ashe into a sniper. I though mages and mounted units were busted...But snipers actually snipe in this game...Hunter's volley is broken...Oh that's a nice mage you have there...Let me attack from five spaces away dealing 30+damage pair pop during my dual attack.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2019-07-29 at 04:31 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Yes, I don't understand why it needs to happen.

Also I've made it passed that certain point in the game. All I am gonna say is that the story keeps getting better and better. Seriously IS where you hiding your writters in the 3ds games (bar echoes) !? The story is better than awakenings, and way better than fates.
    Can't comment on the story and trying to avoid spoilers, but effectively Awakening wasn't as involved writing wise since they did think it would be the last Fremblem ever, and they hired a manga writer to write Fates because they wanted to celebrate their revival with something cool and exciting.

As it turns out maybe Fire Emblem games just have bad writing on the whole due to how many characters they have, and the reduction and refocusing Three Houses has done saved the series in more ways than anime wives ever could.

Also I did read the involved spoiler, while still trying to avoid the details, and I can answer something wit that at least:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Persona 3 onward, it tends to be that massive plot events take you out of the calendar management segment so they can reach the proper conclusion, if you do them earlier than expected. It's just something that comes with the genre.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Can't comment on the story and trying to avoid spoilers, but effectively Awakening wasn't as involved writing wise since they did think it would be the last Fremblem ever, and they hired a manga writer to write Fates because they wanted to celebrate their revival with something cool and exciting.

As it turns out maybe Fire Emblem games just have bad writing on the whole due to how many characters they have, and the reduction and refocusing Three Houses has done saved the series in more ways than anime wives ever could.
    I've heard of the above before and for fates I also read that the initial draft for the story was rather fantastic but it was implemented very poorly.

At this stage FE didn't need saving imo. But it's very, very encouraging to see it drop the fan service charade and actually give as a very good and rather mature story. It's not flawless, and some of the support convos I've seen are awfully similar to each other, but characters are lore aware, behave in a believable and appropriate manner.

On top of that the gameplay is also great...I am not convinced that it's better than fates, but it's pretty damn close.

I can only hope that they maintain the formula moving forward.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Conquest! Fates has some of the best map design in the series, and mechanically it's probably the best of them. Also, while I never finished Revelations because trying to shotgun three entire Fire Emblems in a row is ****ing impossible for me, I do LIKE the plot of Fates on paper. It's just executed badly and is very silly and nonsensical and has strange plot culdesacs like the planeswalker children and Lilith just sort of in general and the b a b y t i m e d i m e n s i o n s. Fate's is a very silly game with lofty ideals and no actual skill.

That said I'm enjoying Three Houses a whole lot and am excited to do my first Mission after work. Yes that's how behind I am to everyone.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fates was mostly hampered by just how similar the gameplay was to Awakening. It felt more like an expansion patch + balance patch than bringing anything truly new. I think that's why I got bored of Fates so quickly - I had already put several hundred hours into Awakening and it felt like more of the same. Some of the characters feeling like copy-paste from Awakening (sometimes literally, since we had the actual Severa and Inigo) and support conversations that felt similar didn't help.

Quibbling complaints about the class/certification system aside, Three Houses has blown me out of the water. Healers being able to contribute in combat from level 1. Mages being able to use weapons right from the start. The ability to force skill ups to create your own "custom class", like my Raphael that's going down the heavy armor line but still using gauntlets to guarantee a double attack. Combat Arts. Mages having unique sets of spells that they learn even if they share the same class as another Mage. The Adjutant system is a great way to handle extra units and still keep the Pair Up system alive. Supports still have some of the lingering problems, but they're integrated well enough that sometimes I'm not sure if I'm watching a support conversation or a story event.

It feels like a whole new evolution of the series.

Oh, and Raphael is Best Boy. I admit that I don't know the characters from the other two houses yet, but I'm having a hard time seeing any of them beat Raphael for just how awesome he is.

28. - Top - End - #88

Oh, and Raphael is Best Boy. I admit that I don't know the characters from the other two houses yet, but I'm having a hard time seeing any of them beat Raphael for just how awesome he is.
    Extremely a personal preference thing but I can't stand that archetype. If I want a buffman I'll steal Drescol from Blue Lion and make him protect all the wizards and *scrubbed* that inhabit Black Eagle.

As an aside Dorothea is extremely bi and I love Petra so much I want to die. The only Black Eagle people I don't necessarily like is Hubert and Ferdinand since they scream "We're Fire Emblem villains" in every single aspect of their characters.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2019-08-21 at 08:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quibbling complaints about the class/certification system aside, Three Houses has blown me out of the water. Healers being able to contribute in combat from level 1. Mages being able to use weapons right from the start. The ability to force skill ups to create your own "custom class", like my Raphael that's going down the heavy armor line but still using gauntlets to guarantee a double attack. Combat Arts. Mages having unique sets of spells that they learn even if they share the same class as another Mage. The Adjutant system is a great way to handle extra units and still keep the Pair Up system alive. Supports still have some of the lingering problems, but they're integrated well enough that sometimes I'm not sure if I'm watching a support conversation or a story event.
    Amen to that. As for the best character for me atm, it will have to be Ashe. He's so pure and naïve...

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Extremely a personal preference thing but I can't stand that archetype. If I want a buffman I'll steal Drescol from Blue Lion and make him protect all the wizards and *scrub the post, scrub the quote* that inhabit Black Eagle.
    The thing with Raphael is that he follows some of the "big dumb musclehead" tropes but not others. He's not the world's greatest student and can be a bit oblivious at times but he's NOT an idiot. He's one of the most emotionally mature in the entire house (behind Claude and possibly Lorenz) and he's the kindest guy I've met in the game by far. His supports with Ignatz in particular (as well as their Paralogue) are fantastic.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2019-08-21 at 08:39 PM.