New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [Steam]-y Thread XXX: Throwing titles out the window!

Greenlight:

I am fine with the $100 because I assume it goes with their purpose of the Greenlight. It isn't a way for any game to get on Steam, but rather a way to let a few games get on Steam without them doing most of the leg work.

The game makers put it on and they have to get the votes to put themselves on Steam.

I suspect they only want a few games per month, if that to get on Steam through this method. Look at the game's rating %, I have seen a few 15% but nothing really higher (granted I looked a lot yesterday, not today) but if on the first few days of this and the highest at 15%? Its a long process with a lot of people needing to push vote.

I really don't think it was designed for games that are side projects, but rather serious games that using this as their first push into a major publishing company, why the limited so much. Also the money does go to a good cause. I have only taken one Business and Law class but would that count as a charity contribution for the game company or Valve? One is getting a tax break, could be used by Valve to help their bottom line :P
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

2. - Top - End - #212

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    1.) It's an investment... if you make even $0.50 on each game sold, you need only 200 sales to break even. After that, it's all Valve-provided profit.
    2.) Loans, jobs, dividing the cost among several contributors, reducing money spent on not-really-necessities... there's lots of ways to come up with $100.
    3.) If you get Greenlighted, $100 is a paltry sum given that you just got hooked up with the largest digital distribution system on PC. Just try finding a company that will give you a position in a similarly large market space for less, much less giving that fee to charity rather than their own pockets.
    I realize it's an investment. Also, I'm pretty sure all of us who regularly read the Steam thread realize it's a big deal to be "hooked up" with them.

While Kickstarter is a good way to go for some easy crowd-sourcing, finding people willing to give you 100$ hasn't always been easy. I've definitely known people who would have trouble putting 100$ together. You're absolutely right that it could pay off big, but that's still a big IF. IF people see it and vote for it. IF Steam Greenlights it. IF it sells well after that. You have to take a risk somewhere to make money, but it's not insignificant or spare change.

I'm not against cutting down on the spam. They needed to handle the mess in a hurry. But why not 10$? Or 20$? Or some other method that also makes sense? I could pay it, so could many people, but it doesn't feel like a good number to me.

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    I realize it's an investment. Also, I'm pretty sure all of us who regularly read the Steam thread realize it's a big deal to be "hooked up" with them.

While Kickstarter is a good way to go for some easy crowd-sourcing, finding people willing to give you 100$ hasn't always been easy. I've definitely known people who would have trouble putting 100$ together. You're absolutely right that it could pay off big, but that's still a big IF. IF people see it and vote for it. IF Steam Greenlights it. IF it sells well after that. You have to take a risk somewhere to make money, but it's not insignificant or spare change.

I'm not against cutting down on the spam. They needed to handle the mess in a hurry. But why not 10$? Or 20$? Or some other method that also makes sense? I could pay it, so could many people, but it doesn't feel like a good number to me.
    If you get Greenlighted, you probably already have far more then the 200 proposed buyers needed to recoup your losses at the previously mentioned profit, so it selling well wont really be an issue.

If you think your game isn't capable of being Greenlighted - then im not entirely sure why you would put it on Greenlight if it was less money.

It may not be insignificant or spare change, but its also less then the price of the computer you no doubt used to make your indie game on by several hundred. If you could save up for the computer i expect you'd manage the hundred dollars.

Moreover, 10$ or 20$ wouldn't be enough to deter all spam entries. Nor would it be enough to deter low level modders who try to get their mod on Greenlight.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    While Kickstarter is a good way to go for some easy crowd-sourcing, finding people willing to give you 100$ hasn't always been easy.
    Not sure if you seen what happens on kickstarter or know how it works. A game developer must already have a demo, videos and screenshots in order to have a chance at GreenLight. Put the same up on kickstarter with a funding level on $110. Rewards: $1 for beta access or $10 for the full game available on download and Steam (if greenlighted), or some other stuff (stickers perhaps?) Even the smallest indie group I've seen was able to raise $2,300 for their game. $100 should be small potatoes. Kickstarter gets their cut. Child's Play get their cut and you game goes up. Win, Win, Win. And if you get more than $100 it's a stronger indicator of the success you might have on greenlight. Everyone likes a bandwagon, put that in your greenlight advert.

If you can't get $100 from Kickstarter or indigogo, there's no way you will be able to get the game greenlighted on Steam with the same material (video, picks, demo)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    I really don't think the money is a big deal. If you're actually going to sell your game, you can probably spare 100 bucks. Otherwise, just don't use Greenlight, it's not the end of the world.
    Exactly; if you think your game is really worth it, you'll share it with everyone you know, your Twitter followers, Facebook, Tumblr, etc. When you put up the $100, it shouldn't be a problem.

On another note, living in Seattle paid off. Friend of mine hit PAX up on Sunday, and grabbed a LoL lanyard for me, along with a Halo 4 ONI patch. I also returned home last night to find I won a contest from Future US. Inside was a Capcom branded lanyard with the Super Street Fighter IV cast on the side (in MegaMan sprite style!), facing their rivals. It's really, really cool.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

6. - Top - End - #216

Completely unrelated to any of the current discussion: But.

Does anyone want a free crusader kings II Ruler Designer steam key? it should still work as i have not used it.

Failing that, I do have the full game of Cogs and a 75% off coupon for portal 2 that I'm more then willing to give away.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Also completely unrelated: I am a terrible Sniper in TF2. I am somewhat decent as a demoman. And can get around for more than 2 minutes as Spy.

It's clear my calling is with those characters whose biggest trait is NOT being accurate.

I think I'm expecting too much of myself. I've only played one week.
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Also completely unrelated: I am a terrible Sniper in TF2. I am somewhat decent as a demoman. And can get around for more than 2 minutes as Spy.

It's clear my calling is with those characters whose biggest trait is NOT being accurate.

Get the Machina for the Sniper. You'll have to rely on a full charge, and you will need the SMG (or Cleaner's Carbine, though I believe the SMG is a better choice) for close-quarters combat. The Machina on a full charge can OHK most weaker classes with a shot to the torso. If it has <150 HP, it's done for. You'll get better, and the incentive to take down bigger targets (a fully charged headshot on a Heavy is also an OHK, as long as he isn't overhealed) will have you clicking on heads. This may also make you want to play with the Ambassador as well. It's handy if you know what to do.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-09-05 at 10:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

I have the cleaner's. The Machina, nope. I must also add that I do not usually buy things for the game (read: almost never). So most of my items are all achievements, or so I think.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

I must also add that I do not usually buy things for the game (read: almost never). So most of my items are all achievements, or so I think.
    You also get a free item for every hour or so of gameplay, capping at 9-10 a week. people tend to trade those items easy, but you can only do this if you've bought at least one item from the store to upgrade to premium account.
    Do not ever buy a weapon, nearly every weapon in the game drops randomly. Just be patient and play a lot.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    You also get a free item for every hour or so of gameplay, capping at 9-10 a week. people tend to trade those items easy, but you can only do this if you've bought at least one item from the store to upgrade to premium account.
    Do not ever buy a weapon, nearly every weapon in the game drops randomly. Just be patient and play a lot.
    It's every 30-70 minutes, eleven items a week, resets 10AM PST on Thursday.

If I can get one, I'll give it to you.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks a lot. I didn't know all that.

If not a weapon, what would you guys suggest? A hat? A plush Archimedes?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks a lot. I didn't know all that.

If not a weapon, what would you guys suggest? A hat? A plush Archimedes?
    Keys. Then sell them when they become tradeable for refined so you can get the stuff you really wanted for it. Those starter packs aren't half bad, either. Two weapons and a hat.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been internet-less for 2 weeks, and would be interested in doing Mann-up.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Prize View Post
    I've been internet-less for 2 weeks, and would be interested in doing Mann-up.
    Hah. I am not sure anyone wants to play that anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Hah. I am not sure anyone wants to play that anymore.
    There was a game arranged yesterday, so...

17. - Top - End - #227

There is still more MvM that I would like to play.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I am a ticket shy of completing my Tour...

19. - Top - End - #229

Alternatively, get the Sydney Sleeper. A little over a second of charge, and you apply Jarate to the target. You might not rake in the kills, but letting your team-mates minicrit all over someone's urine-soaked face is still a major contribution.

And if you charge all the way (it charges faster than other rifles, incidentally) you still deal solid damage and can one shot wounded people and some of the more fragile classes.

(I went on an unprecedented killing spree with my Sleeper the other night, surprising my friend who figured I would only get assists.)
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

i'm intrested in a mann up game. i even have a squad voucher to spend.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    i'm intrested in a mann up game. i even have a squad voucher to spend.
    Yeah, same here. I tried to get in the game that was planned last night, but my computer really did not want me to play in that game.

22. - Top - End - #232

PirateCaptain

I will be willing to join in the Mann Up game. I have little experience with MvM, but I bet I can still be a help (Most confident with Heavy, Medic and Engineer).

I doubt I can do it today, but Friday-Sunday I should be able to (I love College )
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    (a fully charged headshot on a Heavy is also an OHK, as long as he isn't overhealed)
    Fixed that for you.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

To stave off the mindless anticipation of "z0mg Borderlands 2 goes live in 12 days," I checked the Steam Store frontpage.

The Crysis collection for 75% off? Nice.
    Trine collection for 75% off? Nifty!
    Trine collection being cheaper than buying only the parts of it I don't already have? #SWAG.
    *Checks email*
    Torchlight 2 releases on the 20th?!?!

_________|
    _________|
    _________|
    (╯°□°)╯
    _________|
    _________|
    _________|
    _________|
    _________|
    _________|
    _________|
    _________|__əɯıʇ əəɹɟ______________________
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lunix Vandal View Post
    Torchlight 2 releases on the 20th?!?!
    Two weeks until life comes to a screeching halt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aragehaor View Post
    Completely unrelated to any of the current discussion: But.

Does anyone want a free crusader kings II Ruler Designer steam key? it should still work as i have not used it.

Failing that, I do have the full game of Cogs and a 75% off coupon for portal 2 that I'm more then willing to give away.
    Um... I would be interested in one? :<
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lunix Vandal View Post
    To stave off the mindless anticipation of "z0mg Borderlands 2 goes live in 12 days," I checked the Steam Store frontpage.

Really? I'm out of money and the game I've been waiting for for years comes out just on the eve of my sixteenth? C'mon.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I haven't Mann'd up yet, so I don't know how harder it is (but I assume it's a lot harder).

The starters packs do look nice. I think it's high time I bought something.
    ---
    Borderlands 2, Trine, Crysis... damn, all that free time will be spent

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    In addition, depending on ramp-up (which increases the further you are, unlike the shotgun, which is the reverse), you can deal between 148-201 damage on a full-charge bodyshot. Basically, all but the Heavy or an Eyelander-wielding Demoman will stand a full-charge bodyshot.

A headshot? Full-charge? 500+ damage, with ramp up. Add-in the penetration, and you've got a great Heavy-Pocket Medic takedown gun.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, I haven't Mann'd up yet, so I don't know how harder it is (but I assume it's a lot harder).
    Manning Up doesn't increase the difficulty... unless you only play on the Easy missions otherwise. Boot Camp's six Advanced missions are the same as Mann Up Mode's missions, only they're free and don't get you loot at the end.