New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default (Ex) Hypnosis ideas

So, I had an idea for enabling characters to use hypnosis (of the mundane sort often attempted in our own world). I don't know if something like that exists already, though.

If it doesn't, what would be a good form? A new skill seems rather suboptimal, since it requires a feat to be any good at it (Able Learner, IIRC); however, I'm not too sure what else to do. Perhaps a new base class, but that seems ridiculously excessive.

Whatever form this takes, it's a mind-affecting extraordinary effect, and probably requires a good bit of time.

Fake edit: maybe a subskill of Perform, with special rules for it like Profession: sailor has??
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: (Ex) Hypnosis ideas

I know that Ravenloft had a hypnosis skill, in the Ravenloft Player's Handbook. It was used to help individuals who had failed madness saves, or implant suggestions. I think it was opposed by will saves, and you needed to make a bluff check to disguise your intent against unwilling targets. As long as you don't want it to be a combat ability (It took an hour to preform), it might fit your needs.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

What's the difference between a new skill and a new subskill? They both require the same number of skill ranks.

I do like the idea of using it as a Perform subskill. It would save you the trouble of drawing up a chart to describe class compatibility.

That leaves the rules. Maybe something along the lines of the spell Hypnosis, with penalties assigned by the number of targets?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scotchland View Post
    What's the difference between a new skill and a new subskill? They both require the same number of skill ranks.
    Mostly this V
    I do like the idea of using it as a Perform subskill. It would save you the trouble of drawing up a chart to describe class compatibility.

That leaves the rules. Maybe something along the lines of the spell Hypnosis, with penalties assigned by the number of targets?
    Yeah, that seems like a good starting point; also probably have some circumstance modifiers listed for various things like music or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity