New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XIX

Welcome, contestants, judges, and guests to Iron Chef XIX. Here in Optimization Colosseum, contestants will endeavor to create an optimized and flavorful character using a specified D&D3.5 prestige class as a "Secret Ingredient".

Contestants: You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
    If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until 11:59pm CUT on Monday, March 21st 2011 to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, true_shinken. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

I am going to have to ask the contestants to PM me about any disagreement with the judges. Under no circumstances is a contestant to defend themselves inside the thread, since it breaks anonymity.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

3rd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

4th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

5th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

6th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

7th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

8th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

9th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

10th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

11th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

12th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

13th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

14th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

15th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

16th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

17th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

18th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

19th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

20th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]NAME OF ENTRY[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[B]Class[/B]|[b]Base Attack<br>Bonus[/b]|[b]Fort Save[/b]|[b]Ref Save[/b]|[b]Will Save[/b]|[B]Skills[/B]|[B]Feats[/B]|[b]Class Features[/b]

1st|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

3rd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

4th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

5th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

6th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

7th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

8th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

9th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

10th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

11th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

12th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

13th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

14th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

15th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

16th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

17th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

18th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

19th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

20th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells per day/Spells Known
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]Spells per day/Spells Known[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[b]0lvl[/b]|[b]1st[/b]|[b]2nd[/b]|[b]3rd[/b]|[b]4th[/b]|[b]5th[/b]|[b]6th[/b]|[b]7th[/b]|[b]8th[/b]|[b]9th[/b]

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.
    Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for about 5 judges and as many contestants as feel like playing!

This week's special ingredient is:
    Complete Adventurer' Dread Pirate!
    We will have trophies for 1st through 3rd places, as well as a special trophy for honorable mention. Judges, contestants and guests alike are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM.

Allez optimiser!

Judges
    vikingofdoom
    Zaq
    gbprime
    Amechra - Best of luck, dude.

Contestants
    Amphetryon
    The Gilded Duke
    OMG Ponies
    Waker
    Fearan
    Cartigan
    kestrel404
    Private-Prinny
    BobVosh
    Cieryn
    Thurbane
    Zonugal
    unosarta
    Forb
    Quirp
    Devmaar
    aquaticrna
    Akal Saris
    Xodion

The Builds
    Dread Ghost
    Jacinta
    Four Fingers
    Hendrick Van der Decken
    Darrigan the Gray Death
    Halavin d'Lyrandar
    Vincent Alzey d'Lyrandar
    Oltur Seadweller
    Alria Almaiath

Past Competitions

Iron Chef I: Entropomancer
    Iron Chef II: Psibond Agent
    Iron Chef III: Cancer Mage
    Iron Chef IV: Stonelord
    Iron Chef V: War Chanter
    Iron Chef VI: Master of Masks
    Iron Chef VII: Green Star Adept
    Iron Chef VIII: Pyrokineticist
    Iron Chef IX: Animal Lord
    Iron Chef X: Mythic Exemplar
    Iron Chef XI: Blade Bravo
    Iron Chef XII: War Mind
    Iron Chef XIII: Vigilante
    Iron Chef XIV: Seeker of the Song
    Iron Chef XV: Drunken Master
    Iron Chef XVI: Assassin
    Iron Chef XVII: Ardent Dilettante
    Iron Chef XVIII: Unseelie Dark Hunter
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-04-09 at 07:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XIX

Wow, a class with a Leadership-type capstone, with Leadership banned. Interesting. Competing, by the way.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Wow, a class with a Leadership-type capstone, with Leadership banned. Interesting. Competing, by the way.
    Maybe you automatically lose if you take the 10th level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

The leadership-like ability merely gives you followers, so I doubt that will affect anything. Really, what are you going to do with around 135 1st level NPCs?

On topic: I'm willing to judge this. I'll hopefully be able to get my hands on Stormwrack. I'll post my judging criteria by Monday.
    Thanks to Vrythas for the awesome Myrddraal avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Interesting. I see some ways to make this work.
    Ill submit a build for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Competing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless something comes up, I plan on competing. I do wonder what kinda rum drinking scurvy sea-dogs we're gonna see in this competition.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

But...but...but...this is a good class!
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Yarrrr! I'm going to compete in this one
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    OK. I've decided our next secret ingredient.
    It's a class from the Completes that neither gets nor advances casting. It wasn't mentioned as a suggestion here. It's also a class that gains one of my favorite abilities ever at level 4.
    Seeing the new thread is up, what kind of ability is shinken's favorite, then? I can only see two, and at least one of them is shared with a base class. Don't really see what interest that might be, unless shinken decided to change his mind on the SI.

Why it is that I see one PrC from a book I cannot disclose that will synergize so brutally with this class, it isn't funny? Also, dealing with that 10th level bonus must be a challenge, though what it seems is that you'll get a main course that will serve a lot of people, but in tiny portions (catering, anyone?) I can see that kind of course work; it's a concept I've seen in at least one restaurant, actually :P
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. I have to think about this one. I could see myself entering, I could see myself judging, and I could see myself sitting out. I'm leaning towards judging, but don't put me down for anything quite yet.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-03-12 at 12:05 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Seeing the new thread is up, what kind of ability is shinken's favorite, then? I can only see two, and at least one of them is shared with a base class. Don't really see what interest that might be, unless shinken decided to change his mind on the SI.
    I was talking about Acrobatic Charge. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    But...but...but...this is a good class!
    We do those every now and then.
    Pyrokineticist, Assassin and Warmind are not bad at all, for example.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-03-12 at 12:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

GnomePirate

I think I'll trade to create something.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it bad that when I saw Iron Chef, I immediately thought of Darth Chef from that South Park episode?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

You know what? Count me in as a judge.

My criteria:

Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: You pretty much already know what to expect here. Did you surprise me? Did you use a strategy that's very similar to that of anyone else? Perhaps most importantly, if you used a very obvious method of entry (e.g., rogue into assassin, ranger into dark hunter, etc.), what did you do to differentiate yourself? Obviously, if the secret ingredient calls for a certain class feature that only one class gets, I'll be less picky about this, but it's still in your best interest to make yourself stand out a bit. What makes you different from everyone else who takes this prestige class?

Power: For me, this is tied to Use of Secret Ingredient, in that I judge based on (or at least take into consideration) how much the secret ingredient builds on what you've already got. If you were aiming at a high-powered chassis, I'll judge you that way. If you were aiming for something more moderate, I'll judge you that way. Basically, how powerful did you become within the limits your class and role place upon you? How much do you need magic items, and how well do you stand on your own? Note that builds that don't function at both low and high levels (1 to 20 is ideal, but I understand that you might not hit both extremes) will be docked points in this category.

Elegance: Does it flow? Does it work? Can I see how everything fits together? Does each level naturally lead into the next, or are there a lot of "it'll make sense in four levels, trust me" choices? If I were looking at your build one level at a time and had no idea what the whole thing looked like, at each level, to what extent would I say "ah, that choice makes sense"? To what extent would I be able to predict, roughly, what you'll take next? Note that while I am not fond of dips and may penalize for them, they are not an automatic loss of points if you can explain why the dip was truly necessary. (Beware, though, that a dip that delays or doesn't synergize well with your other class features might lose you points in Power, if not here.) Also, I can't speak for the other judges, but I have no problems drawing from as many different books as you need. I'd prefer that you not mix setting-specific stuff if you don't have to, but I tend to be lenient about what is and is not setting-specific. I can't speak for every judge, though, so you might not want to risk it. Finally, see "Editing," below.

Use of Secret Ingredient: What do you do with the secret ingredient that you couldn't have done without it? How does it make you stronger than ten levels in another class would? How do you make taking all the prereqs truly worth it? Is it obvious that your build needs the secret ingredient, or are you only taking it because you have to? Good backstory fluff helps here, but bad backstory fluff will not hurt, because I know that not everyone is good at creative writing (I'm certainly not). Do you use every part of the buffalo, so to speak? I know that very few builds can use ALL of the class features that a given class has to offer, but the more you use, the more favorably I will judge.

Special—Format and Editing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please, please make your build easy to read. Don't make me guess or have to remember which skills you took in-class and which skills you took cross-class. Don't just tell me that you have a +35 in Craft: Underwater Basketweaving. Tell me somewhere that you got a bonus from your race, a bonus from your ACF, and a synergy bonus from Profession: Underwater Basketweaver. Explain to me where your cool combos come in and how they work together. Sure, I'll get most of them on my own, but you don't want to risk me missing something you thought of, do you? If you have spells/maneuvers/soulmelds/etc., explain which are your favorites for general situations and why. If you use racial substitution levels or alternative class features, explain what they do and why you took them. As a rule, you're not going to go wrong by explaining why you took just about everything you did. "Letting the work stand on its own" is for poets, not Iron Chef Optimizers. In general, the more you explain and the less you gloss over, the happier I'm going to be. You thought of all these cool things and noteworthy angles, and it's important to me that I understand your thought process as best as I can. I don't want to end up scratching my head and saying "why the hell did they take Blessed of Tem-Et-Nu?" while you're giggling in anticipation of how awesome Blessed of Tem-Et-Nu is going to make you and how it's going to wow the judges. Oh, and failure to cite your sources WILL result in a loss of points.

Furthermore, and this is different from most other judges, I'm going to be just a little picky about spelling and grammar. No, stop that face. It'll be OK. I'm not gonna dock you for a single typo (though if you consistently misspell a word, then we might have problems) or a small grammatical slip-up. I'm not your English teacher. I do, however, notice these things, and I will take off points if anything sends me into a grammar rage and has me instinctively reaching for my red pen. For example, one build a few sessions back used the word "whom" in the backstory over and over and over when they really needed to use the word "who." Using "who" when you mean "whom" is one thing, but using "whom" when you mean "who" tells me that you're trying something you don't understand. That's the sort of thing that will have me shaving off a quarter-point here and a quarter-point there, usually in Elegance. Basically, don't try any grammatical tricks you don't understand, try to keep it easy to read, and stay the hell away from comma splices, and we'll both be happy.

Now, I understand that English isn't everyone's first language. If you're not a native speaker and what I'm saying scares you, feel free to PM our chairman and ask him to privately tell me that. (You could put it in the build itself, but I certainly understand if you don't want to make a big deal about it). As a rule, just keep it simple and you'll be fine. I'm not here to judge you on your grammar. I'm just warning you that I won't be happy if your grammar interferes with me reading your build. I honestly don't expect this to come up. I just don't want anyone to be surprised if it does.

One last thing: please pay attention to the wording of your feats and class features. I already see one trap that I predict at least one person will fall into, and I'll feel really bad if I have to take off points for "sorry, it just doesn't work that way." If you feel that there's anything that's borderline, or that you're pretty sure most reasonable GMs would allow but isn't quite supported by the wording, mention it in the Variants section where you talk about those flaws that you totally wished you could take if the meanie-face ICOC rules didn't prevent doing so. (Yes, I'll read the Variants section. It'll take a lot to actually change a score, but you might get a half-point out of it if there's something phenomenal in there.)

Good luck, everyone!
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-03-12 at 01:32 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking that I wanted to try my hand as a judge, but I'm starting a new job right after the reveal and I'm probably going to be working a lot of extra hours right out of the gate. Maybe next time.

But I'm definitely going to compete.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

I swear to Pelor, as soon as I saw this class, I had a full 20-level build that uses every aspect here. Unfortunately, I think it may be exceedingly obvious. I'll make my obvious build first, and then see if I can come up with something more out of left field.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    I swear to Pelor, as soon as I saw this class, I had a full 20-level build that uses every aspect here. Unfortunately, I think it may be exceedingly obvious. I'll make my obvious build first, and then see if I can come up with something more out of left field.
    Unfortunately the sun only illuminates what is in plain sight, so Pelor is a poor choice :P Can I interest you in the word of Kord? Dashing, bold, Kord truly embodies this ingredient, and much more besides!

I'm going to enter as a contestant for once instead of creepily watching silently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

It's time to give back to the community... mark me down as a judge for this one. Yarrr.

My Judging Criteria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality - Surprise me. I want to see something out of the ordinary, be it Race, Class, PrC, feat combo, or backstory. If there's a simple and straightforward way to get a prerequisite or ability, find some other way. If there isn't another way to get it, then give it a unique spin or synergy. (Please note that Originality is relative. It may very well be original to use a specific race, unless multiple builds in the contest also used the same thing... which will tend to lower the score for all of them.)

Power - What is this build capable of cranking out? My criteria are based on the high side of a moderate power level, something any experienced DM could handle in their game. (See my past entries if you want examples.) If you exceed that power level, you get more points. Fail to exceed it, you get less. But if you exceed it TOO FAR, to the point that this build needs no other party members or renders other party members useless by comparison... well you won't lose points, but you won't get too many bonus ones either. (More power than a DM can handle is actually a BAD thing, IMO.)

Elegance - The classic hero in comic and myth is a capable fellow, does one thing amazingly well, and has one or more glaring weaknesses or tragic flaws. The more of that I see, the higher your score will be. I want to see powers and abilities fit into a seamless concept, not cherry picked to get extra dice or bonuses. (A good back story may help here.) If you need to dip into a class to get an ability, consider staying in it for longer than just a dip to fuel that concept. (Please note that elegance may come into direct conflict with power and/or originality, and it may not be possible for your concept to get high scores in all three. You live with these choices as tradeoffs.)

Use of Secret Ingredient - This one should be pretty obvious, so I'll list out a few specific things to keep in mind. Why did you pick this PrC? What does it do for you that you couldn't have done better by avoiding it? Did you use all 10 PrC levels? Did you get into the PrC so late that it's abilities were nearly obsolete when you gained them? Did you synergize or supercharge those abilities?

Scoring - Since we're going on a scale of 1-5 here, I'll be using 3.0 for each category as the default score. To that I'll add by the quarter point for good stuff and subtract by the quarter point for bad stuff. A dead average build should be around a 12 and the builds that go under 9 or over 15 should be rare. Y'know... in theory.
    Last edited by gbprime; 2011-03-25 at 02:22 PM.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vikingofdoom View Post
    Really, what are you going to do with around 135 1st level NPCs?
    Mwhahahaha
    Last edited by Growin; 2011-03-12 at 08:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

GnomePirate

If I could do math, this would be a lot easier.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vikingofdoom View Post
    The leadership-like ability merely gives you followers, so I doubt that will affect anything. Really, what are you going to do with around 135 1st level NPCs?
    With minimal effort, I could whip up a build which would give each of those 135 1st level NPC's a +19 BAB (including iteratives), +14d6 Sonic damage on every hit, and +14 morale bonus to attack and damage.

And that's only the *least* broken thing I could do with them...

In fact, I did, in a previous Iron Chef optimization challenge. I just didn't submit him since the build was glaringly obvious for that particular secret ingredient.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingPirate

I'll spend a day or two kicking around a build idea. If I can't figure anything out, I might offer to judge again.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Wow...how odd it is when you do a build in pretty much half a day! It's mostly a mental practice, but who knows, maybe I'll submit it. Though, that depends; the combination seems way too obvious, and Originality might suffer a bit (and quite a bit, I may add).

Though, I fear that the build makes better use of the other class than the SI, so it might be better to remain as a mental exercise; still, it was done pretty easily. The story, though, is one that could be interesting.

Urgh, to compete or not; that, is the question...
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Urgh, to compete or not; that, is the question...
    Not a question when you already know the answer. You know what you must do...

I have a crazy idea that puts a spin on one of my favorite character types that actually plays fairly nice with this, so maybe I'll finally see about crafting an entry if it pans out right. Unlike IC IX, when I didn't get my Sharklord together beyond the planning phase. Maybe I'll manage to get past that point this time...

tldr: Call me a contestant and you should to, Oskar
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think I'll try to put something together, although this upcoming week is finals week at my university so...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I sort of came up with a build on a whim, almost done with it.

Sign me up as a contestant.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Growin View Post
    Mwhahahaha
    My thoughts exactly =P
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think I'll just be watching. Unless of course, we wind up short of judges.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

I would love to get in on this.

Edit: As a contestant.
    Last edited by Forb; 2011-03-13 at 03:47 AM.
    Nyaa~.

Awesome avatar by the awesome Ceika.