New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Does this tactic work by RAW?

So I'm slowly going through Three Faces of Evil with a scalpel and making the adjustments need to give my higher level players a challenge for this place.

There is a room with fanatic worshipers. Now the scaling advice says just give them levels of fighter, but I had something a little more sadistic and appropriate.

Could I give them an Alchemist fire in each hand, have them charge towards the party, and as a free action drop the potions at their feet. The result of this I assume would be an automatic 1 damage to each person and them selves in a 5 ft radius.

Now my other question is, since these are fanatics, I plan on this being suicidal. If they generate an attack of opportunity and will most likely die in one hit, do they drop the Alchemist fire at their feet, for the same effect?
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-10-29 at 11:05 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Does this tactic work by RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    There is a room with fanatic worshipers.
    I misread that as "fanfic worshippers". But thanks to my cultural training, that's much scarier.

since these are fanatics, I plan on this being suicidal. If they generate an attack of opportunity and will most likely die in one hit, do they drop the Alchemist fire at their feet, for the same effect?
    You do drop whatever's in your hands when you fall unconscious, including when you die. Looks RAW from here.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Could I give them an Alchemist fire in each hand, have them charge towards the party, and as a free action drop the potions at their feet. The result of this I assume would be an automatic 1 damage to each person and them selves in a 5 ft radius.

Now my other question is, since these are fanatics, I plan on this being suicidal. If they generate an attack of opportunity and will most likely die in one hit, do they drop the Alchemist fire at their feet, for the same effect?
    Yes you can drop as free action, but dropping flask doesn't say they explode.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    If you use something that is considered a splash weapon, the rules state that "A splash weapon is a ranged weapon that breaks on impact" so dropping would cause it to break, triggering the effect. I think the key difference here is a substance in a container designed to break on impact is different than a normal container taking falling damage.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you could just strap them in vests lined with highly explosive alchemical compounds, give them a few levels in rogue, and send them running at an unaware group....

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Our just have them all chug Elixers of Death Throes, a relatively cheap single use consumable wondrous item. Have them labeled as "Potions of Fanatical Power".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Why can't they just throw the flasks at the PCs' squares? Ranged touch attack vs. AC 5, and they're not guaranteed to die.

Suicide is cute thematic, but not always necessary.

EDIT: Fine, I changed it.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2012-10-29 at 12:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Why can't they just throw the flasks at the PCs' squares? Ranged touch attack vs. AC 5, and they're not guaranteed to die.

Suicide is cute, but not always necessary.
    Outside of this context, this is a really disturbing quote....
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2012-10-29 at 12:01 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems like an iffy ruling on if they break. To me, it seems like they would, I mean they are flasks, you don't want them sturdy enough to resist breaking.

The suicide is not needed I agree, but it is for the flavor. Besides, their entire purpose is basically to just take up time for guards to get into place, they are expendable.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Throwing the flasks at the player's squares + using the elixir of death throes seems like the most fitting, most optimal and most sadistic use.
    Also, tanglefoot bags are awesome.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

If you REALLY want the most bang for your psychotically devoted henchman, might I recommend the Pathfinder Implant Bomb feat, either as-is or for inspiration.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    A glass flask has 1 hit point and a hardness of 1. When its owner dies, consider it dropped from a height of, oh, let's say, 5'. It should take 1d3 damage (half of 1d6) - a roll of 2 or higher breaks it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrak View Post
    A glass flask has 1 hit point and a hardness of 1. When its owner dies, consider it dropped from a height of, oh, let's say, 5'. It should take 1d3 damage (half of 1d6) - a roll of 2 or higher breaks it.
    From the SRD:

The basic rule is simple: 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d6.
    Falling less than 10 feet does not deal damage to anything per RAW; the DM is eligible to fudge the rules, but he/she did say "Does this tactic work by RAW?" in the title.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Falling less than 10 feet does not deal damage to anything per RAW
    This one goes directly to the Dysfunctional Rules Thread

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Throwing the flasks at the player's squares + using the elixir of death throes seems like the most fitting, most optimal and most sadistic use.
    I keep seeing this reference to 'elixir of death throes' and am wondering if someone can provide a source. Otherwise, since the spell 'death throes' in SC is a 5th level spell and Brew Potion only works on spells up to 3rd level, this would not normally work.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    I keep seeing this reference to 'elixir of death throes' and am wondering if someone can provide a source. Otherwise, since the spell 'death throes' in SC is a 5th level spell and Brew Potion only works on spells up to 3rd level, this would not normally work.
    'Elixir' is generally the term the rules use for 'a potion-like item created as a Wondrous Item.' Strictly speaking it's a custom magic item, but it's also one of the most straightforward and least abusive ways of using those rules, similar to making scrolls of assorted non-PHB spells.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

So it's basically a potion created from a spell that specifically is not allowed to be made into a potion. Not a first time the item creation rules have been abused, and not the last.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

So it's basically a potion created from a spell that specifically is not allowed to be made into a potion. Not a first time the item creation rules have been abused, and not the last.
    Not only is the spell higher than 3rd level and thus ineligible for potion-crafting, it would also cost 1125gp for 9d8 (40.5 average) Force damage, single-use. That's a really bad deal, considering you can just have minions read Explosive Runes for free and deal 6d6 (21 average) Force damage. As a 3rd level spell. For free. And you don't even need to worry about the PCs disabling them nonlethally and wasting your gold and effort.

Using the same spell slot as the Death Throes, you can slap Empower onto the Explosive Runes for 31.5 average damage. Again, for no cost beyond the loser devoted follower you just wasted. On that thought, just use summons to deliver the payload, and spare your cultists for another day.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

So it's basically a potion created from a spell that
    specifically is not allowed to be made into a potion. Not a first time the item creation rules have been abused, and not the last.
    Elixirs may look like potions, but they are not potions.
    Elixirs are Wondrous Items and so follow a different set of rules.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do understand there's a RAW justification. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Depending on the level of your henchmen, they could always take Fiery Ki Defense and run in to grapple the PCs like little flaming saibamen. Not quite suicidal, but then again the only better for a fanatical cult member than martyring himself is getting the job done without dying. Of course being NPCs, their fate is to become a charred corpse regardless....these are Adventurers we're talking about after all.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    From the SRD:

Falling less than 10 feet does not deal damage to anything per RAW; the DM is eligible to fudge the rules, but he/she did say "Does this tactic work by RAW?" in the title.
    While you are correct, damage is actually not required here. All splash weapons "break on impact" by RAW, therefore the exact height/damage of the fall is irrelevant.

"Impact" is not defined anywhere in the rules, thus it is up to the DM to decide whether a given situation qualifies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    "Impact" is not defined anywhere in the rules, thus it is up to the DM to decide whether a given situation qualifies.
    DM: "As you reach into your pack, your hand impacts against a flask of alchemical fire..."

PC: "$#!&...I hate it when that happens!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DM: "As you reach into your pack, your hand impacts against a flask of alchemical fire..."

Considering some horror stories I've heard about terrible DMs, I am sure that something like this has happened to someone.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Spamalot in the Playground

As with all DM interpretations, Rule -1 plays a key role. (Everyone is there to have fun, not just you.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Give each of them a craft contingent maximized Maw of Chaos. The mook get's in range, triggers it, and the group get's boomed.

It's tons of fun to load mooks down with Craft Contingent spells set to trigger if they die, take damage, fall unconscious, etc.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Give each of them a craft contingent maximized Maw of Chaos. The mook get's in range, triggers it, and the group get's boomed.

It's tons of fun to load mooks down with Craft Contingent spells set to trigger if they die, take damage, fall unconscious, etc.
    ... let's try this again, but this time without the one-round TPK, all right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Acid Fogs or something.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    *bah*
    One round TPK's are just fine. I didn't hit the mooks with Magic Aura or Nondetection so Detect Magic or Arcane Sight will show that they are highly magical. PC's that get in close contact with highly magical individuals without taking precautions deserve to be boomed.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Our just have them all chug Elixers of Death Throes, a relatively cheap single use consumable wondrous item. Have them labeled as "Potions of Fanatical Power".
    Can you tell me where to find this please?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!