New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: East Coasters, are you ready for FrankenStorm?

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    forgive me, but why do I read the threadtitle as "East Coasters, Are you ready to ROCK!
    Whether you were or not, Sandy was.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Train or sandwich?
    Both probably.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Seriously bad puns aside, my heart bleeds for you folks and I hope and pray for the safety of your family, friends and loved ones.
    Peace and Long Life,
    Ravens Cry
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

4. - Top - End - #154
    Banned

Man, I feel left out. I live in NJ and my power didn't go out once. My heart goes out for all you guys who did experience loss though.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

School internet at Stony Brook has been down most of the last twenty-odd hours, about; it just came back a few minutes ago (after the RAs assured us it would be down for the next day or two). School's still cancelled tomorrow. Really, if there weren't any trees around the storm wouldn't have been so bad. The only issues have been from trees downed by the wind; there was hardly any rain on this part of the Island. We lost power for about half an hour late last night, so of course everybody promptly went outside to shout to their friends instead of going to sleep like sensible diurnal animals deprived of artificial light. Reading by candlelight is remarkably cozy-feeling, though, so I kept the candle going after the power came back.
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie_D View Post
    Is the Giant in the path of the storm?
    Thankfully the Giant lives in Philadelphia and not Queens anymore so he and Mrs. Giant probably escaped the worst of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    New York City subways out for 3-5 days according to Hizzoner.
    I think it's gonna be longer. I'd say at least a week. There's at least 7 feet of flooding in several tunnels; it's going to take a long time to pump out.

7. - Top - End - #157

I was surprised that I have it less bad out on the Island than my family just outside the city, but I guess the way the storm swerved west before getting here probably caused that.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Heh. My whole neighborhood has no cable nor internet. The part near the shore is flooded. And electricity is only in certain houses. And I got a bat. The radio is so depressing though.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

9. - Top - End - #159
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Thankfully the Giant lives in Philadelphia and not Queens anymore so he and Mrs. Giant probably escaped the worst of it.

I think it's gonna be longer. I'd say at least a week. There's at least 7 feet of flooding in several tunnels; it's going to take a long time to pump out.
    Yeah, Philadelphia didn't get hit very hard at all. I didn't even lose power where I live.

No, I don't know where the Giant lives in Philly. No, I've never tried to find out.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    And I got a bat.
    A small furry, flying rodent bat, or a wood or metal stick used to hit baseballs bat?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    The Giant live in Phili? That's less than an hour drive for me. Oh man, I can totally start being a stalker now! Previous girlfriends, your off the hook for awhile.
    Just kidding if anyone actually thinks I'm being serious.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    The Giant live in Phili? That's less than an hour drive for me. Oh man, I can totally start being a stalker now! Previous girlfriends, you're off the hook for awhile.

So the ex-girlfriends *aren't* off the hook?
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-10-30 at 07:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    The Giant live in Phili? That's less than an hour drive for me. Oh man, I can totally start being a stalker now! Previous girlfriends, your off the hook for awhile.
    Man, I was in Philly a couple of months ago. I could totally have tracked him down and stayed outside his house for days begging for an autograph or DNA sample everytime he left the place.
    Jude P.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Lost power on Monday, just got it back. Besides a tree falling over the driveway and having to throw out everything in the fridge, I'm okay. Hope everyone having issues stays safe.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-10-31 at 09:15 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright! I am BACK! Lost Electricity at about 5-6a.m. Tuesday morning, and it's just now come back on about 20 minutes ago, so, just shy of 36 hours without. Quite thankful though, because while they initially had told us we'd have it back last night at 10p.m., this morning they were telling us it could potentially be up to 10 days before we regained it. I was sleeping in a half doze on the couch when my wife shouted "IT'S BACK ON", scaring the crap out of me, and my first response was "You're such a liar". That was due to me dreaming about giant spiders attacking me, and when she said that, I thought she was referring to one of them being back on me.

Anyways, the Potomac river is definitely up pretty high from what I could see yesterday(it was freezing cold in our place, so we went for a ride to warm up), I have no doubt it's going to crest pretty high, maybe even end up flooding the town nearest to me, Hancock.

I'll be reading the rest of the thread here soon, I hope others are doing ok and ended up being safe in the storm.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    [/B]
    So the ex-girlfriends *aren't* off the hook?
    So long as the restraining order isn't finalized.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm a lucky one. Living in Northern New Jersey, I did not lose power or internet. However, EVERYONE I know is currently out of power. And the streets are not safe for them to get to me to charge their phones and watch the news to see exactly how horrible the damage is. Even my next door neighbor is out of power since we do not share the same power grid.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, Philadelphia didn't get hit very hard at all. I didn't even lose power where I live.

No, I don't know where the Giant lives in Philly. No, I've never tried to find out.
    I used to see The Giant on a regular basis, but something came between us. The venetian blinds.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The wind gusts in sandy were kinda worrying, But aside from a little flooding it was almost a non-event. Aside from the people I met at sheetz who were upset that the campground was closed. But that is an extra special
    no-comment moment.
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, survived relatively undamaged at home. Lost power Monday afternoon.

That first night was miserable, no electricity meant I didn't have a working sump pump to get rid of the water that seeped in. So from 8:30 at night, to around 4 Tuesday morning, I had to bail water out about 20+ buckets an hour from the hole where the pump is located, to prevent flooding. Tuesday wasn't so bad, though that night it was rather cold in my house. Just got electricity back Wednesday evening.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

I was right in the path of the northern half of the storm (the worst parts kinda split in two at landfall, one going south, one north) and my town got whalloped, though no damage to me personally. Still without power since about 7:00 on Monday, though. Power company says maybe another week to get it back.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

We still don't have power at our house. It went out around 8pm Monday night and hasn't come back since. And there's no word on when we'll be back - this weekend is the current vague rumor circulating around. Thankfully, my parents are awesome and live about 20 minutes away so we've been camped out in their family room since Tuesday.

There's a fair bit of damage in my yard. Our fence was blown apart, and my front yard is littered with sticks and tree branches. The biggest tree branch that came down was about a foot away from my car. No real damage to the house or cars, though.

I'm lucky. A friend who lives in New York lost everything when a wave tainted with sewage crashed through his apartment complex.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I was right in the path of the northern half of the storm (the worst parts kinda split in two at landfall, one going south, one north) and my town got whalloped, though no damage to me personally. Still without power since about 7:00 on Monday, though. Power company says maybe another week to get it back.
    What part of the country do you live in? Power in Northern Virginia typically comes back in 48 hours, although some people were without power for close to a week after the July storm.

ETA: Semi-relevant XKCD link .

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2012-11-01 at 10:48 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    What part of the country do you live in? Power in Northern Virginia typically comes back in 48 hours, although some people were without power for close to a week after the July storm.

ETA: Semi-relevant XKCD link .

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Northern NJ. usually, power would be restored fairly rapidly, but like last Halloween, the power loss was so widespread and pervasive that it's taking forever to get things fixed. That, and local and state goverment are getting into lots of arguments over just whose budget pays for removing which particular fallen tree, which of course slows work tremendously.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Hurricane Sandy aftermath

According to MSNBC , it's pretty bad.

Simple question: Are there any relief agencies on the case, and where do we send those dollars?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

My power came back around 4pm yesterday. This was by far the longest we've ever had to deal with a power outage at our house (about 68 hours).

Also, heard from my friend in NYC. Things aren't as dire for him as I was originally lead to believe, thankfully. His car is gone - washed out to sea. He's currently not allowed into his apartment complex, due to raw sewage washing in. But his apartment itself is probably OK because he's several floors up. So it's just a matter of when they determine it'll be safe for them to go in and get stuff.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

What kind of insurance would that come under?

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    What kind of insurance would that come under?
    Probably auto insurance. More people have auto insurance. Hopefully that covers it, anyway.
    Jude P.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Sometimes insurance doesn't cover "acts of God", but that's where disaster relief comes in hopefully.
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by rredmond View Post
    Sometimes insurance doesn't cover "acts of God", but that's where disaster relief comes in hopefully.
    Isn't there such a thing as storm or disaster insurance too? Though most people probably don't have something like that.
    Jude P.