New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Jayngfet: I know it's a cop out, but you can't judge trolls on our morality or social mores. Trolls killing other trolls is...well, expected, almost. So that is why they aren't really holding grudges. Well, apart from Terezi.

As for Davesprite and stuff about Terezi: I'm pretty sure Alpha Dave would stop him, and Alpha Dave is far more skilled and capable than Davesprite is.
    That's a cop out simply because again, even among other examples in the introductory act and the act after it, nothing like this was established. Trolls killed, but they didn't kill close aquaintences. Vriska may have maimed horribly but that set off the whole revenge thing with Aradia, and she mentioned outright killing anyone in the other 11 wouldn't be something she'd do lightly. She "killed" Aradia, but that was neither lightly done nor left alone.

Killing in general may be ok, but in this specific context isn't supported by any kind of troll protocol.

You can't call this a cop out then wash it away with alien morality because it doesn't fit in the confines of that morality.

Also, Davesprite has a few months of extra experience on Dave, who never actually fought most of the same enemies as him. What Dave has on him is god tiers and better equipment, but in terms of Experience fighting that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

Kanaya was, if nothing else, acquaintances with those two. Their deaths should at least rate more than a passing mention.
    They did. For Two years. She's gotten tired of hating and hunting him, it really is that simple.[/QUOTE]
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Orc in the Playground

Homestuck is a comedy. Parts of it are happy or sad or epic, but all those things ultimately take a backseat to lulz. Including realistic reactions to things. ESPECIALLY realistic reactions to things.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah. Psyche 2x combob. Should have seen that one coming.

5. - Top - End - #1115

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post
    Homestuck is a comedy. Parts of it are happy or sad or epic, but all those things ultimately take a backseat to lulz. Including realistic reactions to things. ESPECIALLY realistic reactions to things.
    Can you link me the specific part where Andrew said that? I don't recall him pigeonholing his own work in such a way. In any case, having to write a situation that you refuse to make funny reactions to that actually work isn't comedy, it's bad writing. You're essentially claiming Hussie doesn't have the skill to make anything resembling a real reaction work and still be funny. In any case, these reactions aren't exactly funny either so by your argument Andrew Hussie is therefore a terrible writer.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Orc in the Playground

No, I can't point out where he said it. Pretty sure it got lost in one of his old ask-me-questions... things. Can't remember the name of the website. I'm paraphrasing in the extreme but he did say that Homestuck is a comedy. As evidence he pointed out that the bad guy killing off everyone's beloved characters was a dog wearing sunglasses. Which goes to show how long ago he said it!

He also said something about how he felt his sense of humour was broader than most people's. Like when the STRONG fetishist and the shipper catgirl got murdered by a juggalo, that's a funny thing. In a serious drama, any situation in which a guy kills two of his friends would have serious repurcussions to the plot. In Homestuck those repurcussions are muted because you're supposed to be laughing most of the time.

But again, I can't provide a link to where he says these things because the link doesn't actually exist anymore. And I don't think Hussie is a bad writer at all, but it sounds like maybe YOU do.

7. - Top - End - #1117

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post
    No, I can't point out where he said it. Pretty sure it got lost in one of his old ask-me-questions... things. Can't remember the name of the website. I'm paraphrasing in the extreme but he did say that Homestuck is a comedy. As evidence he pointed out that the bad guy killing off everyone's beloved characters was a dog wearing sunglasses. Which goes to show how long ago he said it!

He also said something about how he felt his sense of humour was broader than most people's. Like when the STRONG fetishist and the shipper catgirl got murdered by a juggalo, that's a funny thing. In a serious drama, any situation in which a guy kills two of his friends would have serious repurcussions to the plot. In Homestuck those repurcussions are muted because you're supposed to be laughing most of the time.

But again, I can't provide a link to where he says these things because the link doesn't actually exist anymore. And I don't think Hussie is a bad writer at all, but it sounds like maybe YOU do.
    I remember that particular formspring reply.

The thing is, it doesn't really excuse that kind of writing because again, the number of people not laughing at that kind of thing is increasingly high. I know people who've straight up quit reading just because they didn't find anything currently going on engaging. Kanaya's reaction isn't just not realistic, it's not funny. I haven't found a single person who said they thought it was up until this point. There are a lot of moments that aren't funny. These moments have an increasingly small emotional weight since they also aren't very realistic. They're just ...there.

A dog wearing sunglasses fighting a puppet fetishist is funny, but it also looks cool and has a certain weight to it if you know who these people are. Kanaya just kind of letting go of the guy who murdered her friends isn't exactly much of a joke and it's rather lacking in emotional weight.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

Im kinda coming back for a post or two to support Jangfet:

Thing is, Dog wearing sunglasses is funny for a while, but as you get used to it, it becomes its own sense of logic. And I don't know many people who would laugh at a graphic death like that. Its like the argument: "Rape aint funny? Well how about with looney toons?".

And the framing is not cartoony. Its not presented as itchy and scratchy. Its presented as "Man this is baddass".

edit:

Like if I have a scene with a man with his underpants over pants, fighting an army of the bird people from Flash gordon it doesn't automatically make it funny.

What I just described to you was Superman Fighting Thanagarians. Its ridiculous (thats not the same thing as bad. All fantasy is ridiculous in ways). But its not funny.

If its a comedy, then don't add Genocide, graphic deaths, and the occasional "TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY" flash. You can't have it both ways. You cant have the epic choir and expect us to take it seriosly, and then have the characters stop displaying any emotion except "Dull Suprise amusement" once its over.

Either be serious, and allow for the characters to give some weight to the topics (You can stil have some humor. Humor is the more funny if it has a backdrop of seriousness)

Or be completely goofy and take out the out of place stuff and frame it better.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-10-28 at 07:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dammit, Hussie.
    Last edited by Dust; 2012-10-28 at 06:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Dammit, Hussie.
    Hussie is the WORST

Anyways, what you guys are arguing about is proof of what I've been saying all along.

Carapacians are the best characters.
    Last edited by Tectonic Robot; 2012-10-29 at 11:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

So i was just thinking, According to Kanaya, Porrim told her that Glowing/Rainbow drinking is a biological benefit of being a jadeblood, the former to assist in navigating the dark brooding caverns, and the latter for unknown reasons.

So what do you think then, does this mean Kanaya Isn't/never "died"? Is she still alive and well with a pulse and just managed to survive a giant hole in the gut perhaps in thanks to some sort of rainbow drinker puberty kicking in?
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2012-10-29 at 02:49 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1122

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    So i was just thinking, According to Kanaya, Porrim told her that Glowing/Rainbow drinking is a biological benefit of being a jadeblood, the former to assist in navigating the dark brooding caverns, and the latter for unknown reasons.

So what do you think then, does this mean Kanaya Isn't/never "died"? Is she still alive and well with a pulse and just managed to survive a giant hole in the gut perhaps in thanks to some sort of rainbow drinker puberty kicking in?
    That's probable. Considering what kind of problems you find on Alternia the ability to survive your guts being blown out is going to be a huge boon.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ettin in the Playground

Which just continues to point out that Pre-scratch alternia was probably a hellhole as well.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Beforus is mostly different from Alternia socially. The wildlife is probably the same, and inclined towards killing stuff.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, a lot of the adaptations would be to deter predators, not other trolls (Who, one would hope, are generally intelligent enough not to kill the precious few people capable of keeping their species alive, as the Jadebloods are in charge of taking care of wrigglers and newly born mother grubs)
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Troll in the Playground

Random thought: We've seen a few of the Beforus Trolls' Lususes (Lusii? Whatever), and so far, they've been the same as the Alternians'.

But I'm pretty sure Gb'Golyb didn't exist on Beforus, and it's hard to imagine Aranea had a troll-eating lusus.

So, what did they have? And who/what raised Kankri?
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Yeah, a lot of the adaptations would be to deter predators, not other trolls
    Except there is that whole "Blood Drinking" thing.

Why did Kanya not know about this? Why did hussie need this to be a mystery of nothing of important was revealed?

Why don't they have night vision instead of a predator attracting glow?

Because it probably wasn't thought through very well, but it sounded cool so "Why not?".

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ettin in the Playground

Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post

Why did Kanya not know about this? Why did hussie need this to be a mystery of nothing of important was revealed?

Because it probably wasn't thought through very well, but it sounded cool so "Why not?".
    Because evolution isn't always sensible?

This is a whole other discussion I could get into, but I don't really want too.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Kanaya didn't know about the specifics of Rainbow drinkers because Limebloods are very, very rare. So no one was there to tell her about it.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ettin in the Playground

Kanaya didn't know about the specifics of Rainbow drinkers because Limebloods are very, very rare. So no one was there to tell her about it.
    Why? This species has been traveling the stars for thousands of years and exist in the billions.

What do the limebloods not have a troll wikapedia account? And how are liebloods rarer then the higher ups then?

And If its just a puberty thing does it trigger on gaping holes in the chest? Or is it just any hole?

It just makes perfect sense, if hussie just thought it would be cool at the spur of the moment, didn't think this completely through, and then just rushed out an nonsensical explanation.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ogre in the Playground

Why? This species has been traveling the stars for thousands of years and exist in the billions.

What do the limebloods not have a troll wikapedia account? And how are liebloods rarer then the higher ups then?

And If its just a puberty thing does it trigger on gaping holes in the chest? Or is it just any hole?

It just makes perfect sense, if hussie just thought it would be cool at the spur of the moment, didn't think this completely through, and then just rushed out an nonsensical explanation.

It's because it's a parody of Twilight, dude. :/

Anyways, since no one has responded to my assertion that the carapacians are the best characters, I hereby state it to be UNCHALLENGABLE TRUTH!

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ettin in the Playground

Who ever said that trolls have wikipedia? That doesn't really seem like the kind of thing they'd do.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Anyways, since no one has responded to my assertion that the carapacians are the best characters, I hereby state it to be UNCHALLENGABLE TRUTH!
    Damn it, you logic is infallible!
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

I think you meant to say Jadebloods as Kanaya is. I beleive Limebloods are just flat-out extinct. And even if they aren't, they have no connection to Jadebloods or rainbow drinkers that i know of.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2012-10-30 at 12:46 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think you meant to say Jadebloods as Kanaya is. I beleive Limebloods are just flat-out extinct. And even if they aren't, they have no connection to Jadebloods or rainbow drinkers that i know of.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Scowling DRagon; These are trolls, after all. Wikipedia would have to be abandoned due to Vandals. And Kanaya was the first jadeblood in living memory on Alterania proper.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Who ever said that trolls have wikipedia? That doesn't really seem like the kind of thing they'd do.
    What? Knowledge on the web? 110% certain they have that.

And they have had it for thousands of years. So at least a few cases must have been documented.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe it is documented but Kanaya was just so cut off from the world (living in the middle of the desert surrounded by zombies) that she was never able to do further research into the subject?

And why would she even look up "jadebloods becoming rainbowdrinkers"? She thought rainbowdrikers were works of fiction like in her books, she had no reason to believe they were real or were actually a biological result of her caste.

Heck maybe the empire purposely keeps the information hidden to protect the jadeblood caste, if other castes knew the jadebloods could not only survive in sunlight, but ALSO glow in the dark, survive high caliber weapons blasts to the gut, and all sorts of different things all at the price of needing/wanting to drink blood every now and then? They might get jealous and start wiping out the jadeblood caste, something which is REALLY bad as jadebloods are the ones responsible for tending to the mothergrubs.

Further had the game not existed, Kanaya likely would have moved down to the brooding caverns when she became of age, she would likely meet other adult jadebloods there, who would proceed to teach her about herself and her responsibilities along with the other secrets of the jadeblood caste. Since jadebloods do not usually (exeption of the dolorosa) leave the caverns after that, then there would be no risk of Kanaya spilling the beans to other trolls, whereas if she knew while living on the surface, she might be telling everybody about it.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2012-10-30 at 01:05 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe it is documented but Kanaya was just so cut off from the world (living in the middle of the desert surrounded by zombies) that she was never able to do further research into the subject?
    Internet.

And why would she even look up "jadebloods becoming rainbowdrinkers"?
    "What are my abilities as a ______ Blood?"

She thought rainbowdrikers were works of fiction like in her books, she had no reason to believe they were real or were actually a biological result of her caste.
    Which is my point: Why did she think they where works of fiction if they where real?

ALSO glow in the dark
    WOW! I have telepathy, and my buddy super strength! But glowing in the dark! Thats just worth GENOCIDE over.

survive high caliber weapons blasts to the gut
    Again: How? Why? How can she support herself with her spine destroyed? Is it regeneration? Do they have exoskeletons? So many questions.

This is a poor explanation considering that lots of other abilities exist MUCH better then hers on other troll types. Both higher and lower caste.

And they aren't dead.

Scowling DRagon; These are trolls, after all.
    OK then Online Encyclopedia or something.

t's because it's a parody of Twilight, dude. :/
    Then whats the joke? There is none (And no framing to suggest there is one). Otherwise its just a reference.

We all know how this is going to go so whatever.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-10-30 at 01:33 PM.