New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Who's Your Favorite Dragon Deity?

Who's your favorite Dragon deity? My favorite Dragon Deity is Hlal. She loves to pull pranks on everybody including all of her dragon siblings just to be annoyed by her.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Who's Your Favorite Dragon Deity?

Back when they were officially separate Deities, I liked Takhisis for the fact that she was the primary evil God who happened to be a Dragon, rather than a minor league sideshow like Tiamat often is. She was always a gambler who swung for the fences with her schemes; and refused to retreat even when it might have been wiser to do so, which I found a nice change of pace from so many big evil things that rabbited at the first sign of their plans really going sideways.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    Back when they were officially separate Deities, I liked Takhisis for the fact that she was the primary evil God who happened to be a Dragon, rather than a minor league sideshow like Tiamat often is. She was always a gambler who swung for the fences with her schemes; and refused to retreat even when it might have been wiser to do so, which I found a nice change of pace from so many big evil things that rabbited at the first sign of their plans really going sideways.
    Cool. It's true what you said about Tiamat. She's a lesser Dragon goddess just like most of her siblings.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it lazy to say Io? I like the idea of a truly neutral deity that both reds and golds can be clerics of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

The Dark Queen of Krynn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Astilabor, the true neutral dragon goddess of acquiring wealth. Her holy symbol is a d12, and she absolutely does not condone theft... usually.

Also, mechanically, her initiate feat is one of the few ways to get the Open Lock skill and the Knock spell on a Cleric. It's just a shame she doesn't offer the kobold domain

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I like Bahamut. I once played a FS of Bahamut.

He's my go to deity if I'm wanting to play an LG chacracter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Is it lazy to say Io? I like the idea of a truly neutral deity that both reds and golds can be clerics of.
    No, it not.

9. - Top - End - #9

Falazure, just because after having an idea for a dracolich BBEG that worshiped a god of disease, the Draconomicon came along was just "here you go". Never wound up actually using said BBEG because the campaign ended, players moved apart, etc. But still, silver dragon goes evil dracolich, spends most of her time in alternate form as an elderly dwarven women living alone way out in the mountains as the secret disease-themed villain was a character I really wanted to use.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I personally love Pun-Pun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    I personally love Pun-Pun.
    Pun-Pun isn't a dragon. He's a kobold.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Chronepsis, of course. He's just so deeply fascinating, multifasceted and easy to involve in a story.

Okay, that was sarcasm. Nothing against a deity of time and death as a concept, but he's just too passive to do anything with.

Probably Io too, yeah. Tiamat's cool too, though.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #13

I mostly enjoy Tiamat because in Episode 1 of the old D&D cartoon they threw Tiamat itself at the new party, which appeals greatly to my inner crazy.

"Oh, first episode, we need something monstrous to get the group moving. OH, LET'S THROW AT THEM THE MULTIHEADED DRAGON DEITY!"
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Dragonwrought Kobolds are Dragons.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Dragonwrought Kobolds are Dragons.
    I hate to break this for you but Dragonwrought Kobolds aren't really Dragons at all. And it's has been discussed so many times by so many threads and other D&D and RPG forums.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now I have a doubt...are dragon deities dragons (or augmented dragons) at all? Aren't they just outsiders? I haven't deities and demigods at hand at the moment...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    Now I have a doubt...are dragon deities dragons (or augmented dragons) at all? Aren't they just outsiders? I haven't deities and demigods at hand at the moment...
    Dragon deities are dragons.

18. - Top - End - #18

Gotta go with Bahamut personally.

I hate to break this for you but Dragonwrought Kobolds aren't really Dragons at all. And it's has been discussed so many times by so many threads and other D&D and RPG forums.
    Thats just about them being "true" dragons or not. they are unquestionably dragons. its just a matter of if theyre true dragons, lesser dragons, or some other undefined category.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    Gotta go with Bahamut personally.

Thats just about them being "true" dragons or not. they are unquestionably dragons. its just a matter of if theyre true dragons, lesser dragons, or some other undefined category.
    But they're not dragons at all period. Just because the creator of D&D created dragonwrought kobold doesn't means they're dragons.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I think Pun-Pun has the "Yeah, I'm a Dragon whenever I feel like it" ability.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Stop ruining the joke.

Also they do have the Dragon type. That's irrefutable evidence.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-05-15 at 11:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Post Re: Who's Your Favorite Dragon Deity?

Stop ruining the joke.

Also, they do have the Dragon type. That's irrefutable evidence.
    Oh really? Wow, I guess Kobolds are dragons then. D'oh!

23. - Top - End - #23

Daemon

Never thought I'd see someone say Pun-Pun isn't something. He is everything at the same time and possesses every class, race, divine power, etc in the game to max proficiency. He is so omnipotent that the working theory is he went back in time and created the universe himself just to be sure he would be born.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyutaru View Post
    Never thought I'd see someone say Pun-Pun isn't something. He is everything at the same time and possesses every class, race, divine power, etc in the game to max proficiency. He is so omnipotent that the working theory is he went back in time and created the universe himself just to be sure he would be born.
    He also an overdeity basically.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Red fel is an human spell to power erudite that is the god of telling people that dragons are actually dangerous in order to have more dragons to kill and loot.
    Dragons worship red fel in fear of being killed by red fel and in order to stay within the good graces of red fel they have to pillage as much valuable stuff as possible and give everything they own to red fel.
    Thus red fel is a deity for dragons aka: a dragon deity.
    The starting post did not specify the deity had to be a dragon only that it had to be a dragon deity.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-05-15 at 02:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Red feel is a human spell to power erudite that is the god of telling people that dragons are actually dangerous in order to have more dragons to kill and loot.
    Dragons worship red feel in fear of being killed by red fel and in order to stay within the good graces of red feel they have to pillage as much valuable stuff as possible and give everything they own to red feel.
    Thus red feel is a deity for dragons aka a dragon deity.
    The starting post did not specify the deity had to be a dragon only that it had to be a dragon deity.
    Wow. That's something.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Gnarlack, because I made her and I'm biased. She is a necromantic druid sort of character sort of embodying a darker fey, doesn't matter the act if its for the betterment or in defense of the wilds. Fairly aloof and not really seeking worshipers though having a small cult, most of her power was not from her divinity.

On the note of Tiamat's, was her Purple/Orange/Yellow sister ever statted out or even mentioned beyond the fluff in Dragon Magazine?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's hard to beat Bahamut and Tiamat for how iconic they are - being known even outside of D&D, e.g. Final Fantasy.

I like the PF version of Bahamut (Apsu).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    Gnarlack, because I made her and I'm biased. She is a necromantic druid sort of character sort of embodying a darker fey, doesn't matter the act if its for the betterment or in defense of the wilds. Fairly aloof and not really seeking worshipers though having a small cult, most of her power was not from her divinity.

On the note of Tiamat's, was her Purple/Orange/Yellow sister ever statted out or even mentioned beyond the fluff in Dragon Magazine?
    I don't know. Does her sister have a name?

30. - Top - End - #30

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's hard to beat Bahamut and Tiamat for how iconic they are - being known even outside of D&D, e.g. Final Fantasy.

I like the PF version of Bahamut (Apsu).
    Fafnir, Jormungand, and Nidhogg deserve honorable mentions.