New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    Jane's shouts might as well have fallen upon deaf ears, for Cale was busy with something beyond the realm of sight.
    Shouldn't Jane's attack have had more effect than this? I don't think a telepathic assault of that level can be blocked simply by being distracted. Its initial stage is described as something akin to a mental sledgehammer, after all.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Shouldn't Jane's attack have had more effect than this? I don't think a telepathic assault of that level can be blocked simply by being distracted. Its initial stage is described as something akin to a mental sledgehammer, after all.
    Kinda yeah. ^^" Or at least that was the thought. Years of blocking her powers in combination with a lot of stress and a very high desire to stop all conflict around her. She's kind of exploding inside and after the initial explosion she sort of broadcast a 'don't worry be happy' signal. That's why I don't use her powers a lot. XD
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Kinda yeah. ^^" Or at least that was the thought. Years of blocking her powers in combination with a lot of stress and a very high desire to stop all conflict around her. She's kind of exploding inside and after the initial explosion she sort of broadcast a 'don't worry be happy' signal. That's why I don't use her powers a lot. XD
    Well, I played it out as giving Cale some sort of cataconic shock where he just doesn't really understand the world anymore, and is temporarily unable to do anything. Seeing as Cale wasn't really there with his mind because of the overload of his pressure sensing thing, I thought it'd have a different effect. the later shouting and trying to keep the nearly-falling pole away is mostly an effect of Cale completely losing it from the sledgehammer.

Also, I was already writing it when lillith posted her part.
    Last edited by Rhydeble; 2011-01-19 at 05:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    Well, I played it out as giving Cale some sort of cataconic shock where he just doesn't really understand the world anymore, and is temporarily unable to do anything. Seeing as Cale wasn't really there with his mind because of the overload of his pressure sensing thing, I thought it'd have a different effect. the later shouting and trying to keep the nearly-falling pole away is mostly an effect of Cale completely losing it from the sledgehammer.

Also, I was already writing it when lillith posted her part.
    Be that as it may, the post doesn't really seem to give the attack the respect it deserves. Cale has not only managed to avoid all the major effects of the mental sledgehammer, but has also shaken off the effects of the 'happiness wave' almost as soon as it arrived. For the culmination of all Jane's suppressed anger and desires, that's a fairly lacklustre response.

Put it this way: How would you have felt if, when Cale launched his amazing all-in area attack, its only effect was to give people a mild headache and make their vision slightly blurry?

5. - Top - End - #155

If it helps I could delete the post and repost it after Cale's response so it might take effect still but also will let Cale go psycho. Jane's attack might help him calm down and get back to his senses?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Be that as it may, the post doesn't really seem to give the attack the respect it deserves. Cale has not only managed to avoid all the major effects of the mental sledgehammer, but has also shaken off the effects of the 'happiness wave' almost as soon as it arrived. For the culmination of all Jane's suppressed anger and desires, that's a fairly lacklustre response.

Put it this way: How would you have felt if, when Cale launched his amazing all-in area attack, its only effect was to give people a mild headache and make their vision slightly blurry?
    I changed things around a lot, I hope this is satisfactory now..

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Hey 13, I don't see Kenta on the wiki. Any reason why?
    Forgetfulness. I made him last semester right around when the school workload ramped up, and kept telling myself that I'd put him on the wiki...but if there's one thing I'm an expert at it's procrastination.

I was going to post something about Kenta in the arcade in order to get Jason over to where the Triumvirate was, but it seems that you guys are handling it just fine...is there anything you guys need Kenta to do?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Forgetfulness. I made him last semester right around when the school workload ramped up, and kept telling myself that I'd put him on the wiki...but if there's one thing I'm an expert at it's procrastination.

I was going to post something about Kenta in the arcade in order to get Jason over to where the Triumvirate was, but it seems that you guys are handling it just fine...is there anything you guys need Kenta to do?
    Apart from choking?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Apart from choking?
    Yes, Kenta's luck isn't exactly at its best today. First he gets his cherished high score beaten before his eyes; Then he hears the voice of a crazed thug with a grudge against him screaming in rage right outside the door; Then the air itself turns against him while glass shatters all around; And finally his brain gets smashed in half by a psychic panic attack.

Ah well, at least he'll end up feeling good when it's all over...

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Jane's psychic scream is a great wind that sweeps all before her like a...great wind. A great psychic wind. She thinks things--and they happen.

Ah well, at least he'll end up feeling good when it's all over...
    In Kenta's case, "feeling good" after something happens is never a guarantee.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2011-01-19 at 11:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161

Shouldn't someone try to pull Cale out of there, away from the sign? I mean I can let Jane do it but she's kind of tired right now. And I don't think she has mind control abilities yet to make Cale move on his own. I totally just sabotaged any form of rescue by making everybody calm and happy didn't I?

Also how can Kenta just walk by Cale when a sign is falling towards that exact location?
    Last edited by Lillith; 2011-01-20 at 03:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Shouldn't someone try to pull Cale out of there, away from the sign? I mean I can let Jane do it but she's kind of tired right now. And I don't think she has mind control abilities yet to make Cale move on his own. I totally just sabotaged any form of rescue by making everybody calm and happy didn't I?
    Jane does still seem to be Cale's best chance here. Tired or not, she's the only one around who cares enough to act right now. And yes, this situation is indeed wonderfully ironic. Isn't it great how things just come together like this?

Also how can Kenta just walk by Cale when a sign is falling towards that exact location?
    Because from his perspective it hasn't actually fallen yet. We're both assuming that Jirou and Kenta's actions happen a little before the sign drops. That way there's still time for an intervention.

13. - Top - End - #163

Checked Jane's level list and she doesn't have mind control on third level. That would be level five so even if she'd suddenly go level up she wouldn't be able to control Cale out of there. Sooo, let's go for a sudden adrenaline shot!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    "Huh."

Avery just managed to witness the sign changing into a girl, plus a bit of what happened before. Holding her Baguette with incredibly caution, she approached the girl slowly.
    You probably know this already, but just in case: The sign didn't actually change into anything; That was just how Cale perceived the event (being somewhat addled by the psychic blast). In actual fact it just fell, prompting Jane to dive in and knock the person under it out of the way.

15. - Top - End - #165

Also if Avery was there to witness 'moments before', aka she was within 500 meters of Jane less then 5 minutes ago, Avery should feel very happy and serene right now.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Does Horngeek usually take this long to reply to a PM? Just wondering since I am kinda waiting on him before I continue the specifics with one of the powers I am making that overlaps with his razorwind.

Edit: Plus, I am bored.
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-21 at 11:31 AM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

Join the Cult of the Damned, we have free donuts on fridays! -Bago!!!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

Could use some helpful critique for my avatar that I made. Please?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bago!!! View Post
    Does Horngeek usually take this long to reply to a PM? Just wondering since I am kinda waiting on her before I continue the specifics with one of the powers I am making that overlaps with her razorwind.
    Firstly, horngeek's male. But yes, he often does take a while to respond. If your draft is otherwise finished, though, feel free to post it here anyway. There'd still be plenty of chance for him to raise any objections he might have, so it wouldn't put him out of the loop. And if it turns out that he's fine with it, a lot of time could be saved.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

He's said elsewhere he's over at a thriathlon for the weekend. So I wouldn't expect a reply until monday.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

I know he's male. I made a mistake when thinking about his character. I fixed ten seconds afterward. (or so I thought... Did I? Hold on, let me check!
    5 seconds later: Yes, I did change it. Blagh!

But yeah... Heres what I got. Guidance, tips, ideas and possibly some dissection appreciated!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Telekinetic Edge or Cut:
    The AIM field can be made into sharp edges.

Telekinetic Edge or Cut:
    0. Creates an sharp edge along an already existing edge that is carried by the esper.
    1: Slash – Cuts the area of the esper palm.
    2: Wave – Cuts a wide arc in front of the esper with the wave of a hand.
    3: Sphere – A circle of edges surrounds him, cutting everyone and everything within ______ except the esper. (Requires some focus and concentration)
    4: Disc (Line, Bolt) – creates _______ edge in front of him. (Manipulates the AIM to accomplish this. Requires energy and some focus)
    5: Storm - Cuts everything except the center of a cylinder. (Requires tremendous focus and energy to maintain)

Strength:
    0. Strong enough to cut into hair and skin.
    1: Strong enough to cut wood.
    2: Cutting into metal wire without concentration.
    3: Strong enough to make cuts through metal wiring.
    4: Strong enough to cut through concrete.
    5: Strong enough to cut through ?????.

AIM Size:
    ???

Additional uses: Edge rotation (Screwdriver)
    Grid (Stationary barrier)

Not much but I've been waiting for Horngeek's response.
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-21 at 12:13 PM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Horngeek usually take this long to reply to a PM? Just wondering since I am kinda waiting on him before I continue the specifics with one of the powers I am making that overlaps with his razorwind.

Edit: Plus, I am bored.
    horngeek is going on vacation actually. Or out of town. Something like that, he mentioned it in the BleachITP Reborn thread.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Bago: Based on that description, I'd call the power "Wedge" and it's descriptor "Severing of molecular bonds". Of course, any stationary barrier-effect or force doesn't really fit that... (^^;;)

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

So the power basically creates vectors of cutting force, without any actual object doing the cutting? In that case, I doubt that horngeek will have any problem with it. Your ability seems in most respects to be a more focused subset of his; In other words, it has less range of effects but greater power within its specialty.

As far as actual mistakes go, the only one I can see offhand is that Level 0 shouldn't have any effects listed. That's because for most people being Level 0 means that they have no measurable abilities. I do have a few questions, but they're more concerned with clarification than actual problems.

Okay, on to the barrage: Can this power's attacks be blocked in any way? Can they be seen? Does it require line of sight to the targets? How quickly does it travel? If formed into barriers, what happens to something that tries to pass through it? Why does the Level 3 example seem more powerful than the one for Level 4?

Don't feel obligated to answer these if you don't have the time/inclination; This is just a quick first draft, after all.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Bago: Based on that description, I'd call the power "Wedge" and it's descriptor "Severing of molecular bonds". Of course, any stationary barrier-effect or force doesn't really fit that... (^^;;)
    Wedge?
    *Scribble, scribble, scribble*
    Severing molecular bonds would be interesting and a stationary barrier could work, depending on HOW the molecular bonds are severed.

The stationary barrier was given minimal thought. Thus far, I am thinking it's stationary IF it remains within the AIM field. So if the esper created it, it would remain there until he (and his AIM) are moved away.
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-21 at 12:40 PM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

[QUOTE=Bago!!!;10206954]
    Severing molecular bonds would be interesting and a stationary barrier could work, depending on HOW the molecular bonds are severed.
    /QUOTE]

Ah, I can see it now. It'd be like a net made of razor floss. Anything trying to move through it would be cut to ribbons. I could see his AIM field forming that.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

So the power basically creates vectors of cutting force, without any actual object doing the cutting? In that case, I doubt that horngeek will have any problem with it. Your ability seems in most respects to be a more focused subset of his; In other words, it has less range of effects but greater power within its specialty.
    That was the basic idea when I was coming up with it.

As far as actual mistakes go, the only one I can see offhand is that Level 0 shouldn't have any effects listed. That's because for most people being Level 0 means that they have no measurable abilities. I do have a few questions, but they're more concerned with clarification than actual problems.
    I thought level 0 could have some small hard to measure power, but I guess this makes my job easier.

Can this power's attacks be blocked in any way?
    Depends on the material and force of the object. If it’s also a telekinetic barrier, then that would depend on the level of the esper and the level of the esper making the cuts in question with the sufficient power.

Yes, it can be blocked.

Can they be seen?
    Currently, my train of thought says that they could be noticed, but it’d be difficult. It would depend on how much the ‘blades’ move.

Think something like the Predator's cloaking field or what not.

Does it require line of sight to the targets?
    If it’s within his AIM field, then no, but he’d have to be aware. He can’t make an edge in solid brick but beyond that wall, if he knew about it, then he could.

In otherwords, it doesn't but it requires awareness and his AIM field to be in said area.

How quickly does it travel?
    Not sure… It can only travel with the esper field but I haven’t thought about how fast it moves within barrier

If formed into barriers, what happens to something that tries to pass through it?
    Depends on what is trying to pass through it, how dense it is, how quickly it moves and such. If it’s dense enough, the barrier could simply dissipate. It would be the equivalent of a metal grid fence.

In otherwords, I dunno. This was in the back of my head initially.

Why does the Level 3 example seem more powerful than the one for Level 4?
    Are we talking about power shape or the strength?
    If we’re talking about power shape, it’s because it manipulates the AIM Field to sort of accomplish greater distance while the other makes a small sphere around the esper user making a number of short lived cuts randomly around the air.

If we’re talking about the actual strength, then it’s because I muffed up. ^_^ I’m not sure how strength should work anyway, so this was a rough idea.

The actual size of the areas I haven't thought up yet. The sphere would certainly be smaller than his AIM field.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Ah, I can see it now. It'd be like a net made of razor floss. Anything trying to move through it would be cut to ribbons. I could see his AIM field forming that.
    I was thinking more of a metal link fence. In my current head, it would take way too much time, meticulous planning, and energy to make even a foot by foot net and maintain it.
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-21 at 02:12 PM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

I should put Katsu somewhere.

But I spaced off so I can't tell what's going on.

Happens a lot.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

I has no problems with that power!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Is there anything else that needs to be addressed in the power itself? Perhaps some ideas or tips?
    My life for Nerzhul!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there anything else that needs to be addressed in the power itself? Perhaps some ideas or tips?
    There's not really that much more left to say. So long as the power's attacks can be evaded without resorting to supernatural defences, they seem balanced enough. The Level 3 and 4 shapes may possibly benefit from being swapped, but that's a matter of opinion. Besides, if we spend too long analyzing the power alone then it might start to overshadow the actual character. Remember, the power is just one aspect of a greater whole; It'll be much easier to make a judgement when the TK Edge's wielder steps into the spotlight along with their weapon.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2011-01-23 at 11:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shinnmoso View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Bravo Tow-Two to Overloard- Target sighted. Three personnel Request Permission to engage"
    "This is overload- Permisson to engage is given. Non-Lethal Take down Only."
    "Roger that. Out"

Rockwell aims the crosshair on his ACOG at the target's leg, puts the rifle out of safety to Semi.

"Team- Aim for the Legs. Wait for my mark."

Bravo Two-one and Two-three aims their rifle.

"Ready"

"Open Fire"

Rockwell makes pulls the trigger once. So does Bravo Two-one and Two Three.

"Did it hit?" Rockwell asks.
    Who's the target here? The posts aren't very clear on that point. Normally the natural assumption would be either Cale or Jirou, but the squad's actions don't make sense when applied to either of them. Could you possibly provide some more details to clarify the situation?
    Last edited by Anyr; 2011-01-24 at 11:17 AM.