New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 41 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Hayle Chapter 1: The Journey Begins

It's a gorgeous day outside in Hayle. The sun is shining, Spearows are chirping, and a nice cool breeze runs through your hair. And yet you're all cooped up inside, in various degrees of nervousness and excitement. You close your eyes and tightly grip the pokeball in your hand. Your heart races as everyone else in the gym falls silent. Today is one of the biggest days of your young life; your first battle ever is about to begin--with everything riding on it. You open your eyes and see your local gym leader across the battlefield from you.

"Are you ready?"
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2016-10-25 at 06:01 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Hayle Region (IC)

"Yes! Wait, no! One second!" Marcus says, fumbling to pull out a journal marked "Techniques" and dropping an array of different colored pens on the ground as he does so. The not-quite-a-Trainer quickly crouches down, arms a blur and he collects his various writing apparatus, sliding them into pockets both on his breast and at his hips.

"Sorry, a little nervous," the Pokemaniac says with an awkward laugh, checking that his Type Tabs were properly secured in his Techniques manual. The Trainer does one last scan before looking at his Pokeball. Froakie. Nature: Adamant. Moves: Bubble, Lick, Pound, Quick Attack, Growl. Type: Water. Ability: Wash Away. He'd studied Augustus the whole trip here, memorized what his Pokemon was capable of. This would be it! The culmination of everything he'd learned, every butt of a joke he'd been.

Marcus takes a deep breath, closes his eyes and, for a moment, just lets his raging mind go blank. He'd prepared backwards and forwards as well as sideways for this fight, and there was nothing to be worried about at this point. All he had to do was win. No big deal!

"Ready."
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Nothing wrong with a bit of nerves boy, Augustus said. If you're not nervous before sailing into a storm, then you aren't a real sailor. Better to be nervous than overconfident, that's what I always say. The only other cantidate present, a boy younger than you with hair dyed a soft green, nodded in agreement.

He rolled his neck, cracking his joints and stretching his shoulders. He was built like a swimmer: tall with long arms and legs. He quickly retrieved three pokeballs from a bag at his feet. Now, before we get started, you've got to choose the opponent that you'd like to face. He released the pokemon onto the ground, each you recognized.

First up is Squirtle, a water type famous for their defensive abilities. Second is a Snover, a grass/ice type that come from up north. And finally we have the lovely Spheal, an Ice/Water hybrid that Koon sent me from the Academy. Now Marcus, which would you like to challenge for this battle?

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ray was feeling jittery, nervously adjusting his gloves as he looked across the battlefield at his opponent. Lillian was an older woman, which might have led some to think she was a push over, but Raymond knew better than to try and judge someone based on their physical appearance. The boy had seen his slim mother loading massive crates of freshly picked vegetables that he wouldn't attempt to lift in his wildest dreams, after all. But it wasn't the battle that made Ray nervous, but rather what was on the line.

About a year ago he had visited the Gym. However, he came there not to battle but to ask for Lillian's help. The boy had helped a little injured Joltik, helping it recover. But Ray wasn't able to part ways with the Pokemon, so rather than risk never being able to get his Trainer's License, he brought the Joltik, who he named Jasper, to Lillian to hold on to until he was old enough to try for his License. True to her word, when he got there Jasper's pokeball was waiting for him. Ray let the Joltik out and it was like a year hadn't even passed as Jasper leaped up onto his shoulder and nuzzled against him cheerfully.

They took a little time to reminisce, but Ray knew he would have to challenge Lillian if he wanted to keep Jasper. If he failed, if he couldn't get his Trainer's License, he would be separated from his friend forever. So this wasn't any simple pokemon battle, this was a fight to keep his friend. With a deep breath, Raymond pushed down his nerves, knowing he needed to focus if he was going to have any chance of actually winning. He looked at Lillian, offering her a friendly smile before saying, "I'm ready, Ma'am."
    Awesome avatar by Dashwood

“Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.” -- The Federalist No. 55

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Adam pointedly steadied his breath as his eyes scanned the area, briefly glancing at the few people in the area, before his eyes settled on the person who held the keys to his feature. Swallowing nervously to push down the beautiflies in his stomach tightened the grip on his ball.

"Y-Yes sir," he replied inwardly cursing the anxious stutter not a second afterwards. He and Thistle were ready for this after all, or so he kept trying to remind himself.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

Hug me, you know you want to.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Marcus looks at the three Pokeballs, already envisioning the fights that would come to pass with the various opponents. Froakie was a quick Pokemon, focused on powerful strikes and ending the battle before the opponent can take part. In that regard, choosing Squirtle, a heavily defensive Pokemon, would be counterproductive. In the same vein, Snover was a Grass Type, likewise making it a poor choice to battle as it would have an advantage against his Water-Typed Froakie. All that left was the Spheal. It was from the Academy which, for some reason, Marcus felt meant the Pokemon was a fortuitous choice.

"I'd like to battle the Spheal, please," Marcus states, praying that he made the right decision.

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Dominic looks at the pokeball after averting his eyes from the gaze of the gym leader across the way. This was really it. In just a few minutes, a single battle from now, he was really going to be a pokemon trainer. His other fingered the bottom of his jersey, grabbing the hem in a familiar gesture of being nervous. He practically buzzed with anticipation. Was he going to throw up? Probably not... Maybe. Maybe after... Should have skipped breakfast.

Looking back up at the gym leader, Dominic hopes he doesn't look half as nervous as he feels. "YES!" He accidentally yells. "Erm, um. Yes! I am! I'm very ready. Yes." He can feel his face reddening as he keeps talking. Turning around suddenly he takes a couple deeps and then... slaps himself. The ace trainer in training turns back around, his face lightening up as he relaxes, except for a handprint on his left cheek that stands out a bit. "Sorry, let my nerves get to me a bit. I'm ready when you are."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Venetian View Post
    Ray was feeling jittery, nervously adjusting his gloves as he looked across the battlefield at his opponent. Lillian was an older woman, which might have led some to think she was a push over, but Raymond knew better than to try and judge someone based on their physical appearance. The boy had seen his slim mother loading massive crates of freshly picked vegetables that he wouldn't attempt to lift in his wildest dreams, after all. But it wasn't the battle that made Ray nervous, but rather what was on the line.

About a year ago he had visited the Gym. However, he came there not to battle but to ask for Lillian's help. The boy had helped a little injured Joltik, helping it recover. But Ray wasn't able to part ways with the Pokemon, so rather than risk never being able to get his Trainer's License, he brought the Joltik, who he named Jasper, to Lillian to hold on to until he was old enough to try for his License. True to her word, when he got there Jasper's pokeball was waiting for him. Ray let the Joltik out and it was like a year hadn't even passed as Jasper leaped up onto his shoulder and nuzzled against him cheerfully.

They took a little time to reminisce, but Ray knew he would have to challenge Lillian if he wanted to keep Jasper. If he failed, if he couldn't get his Trainer's License, he would be separated from his friend forever. So this wasn't any simple pokemon battle, this was a fight to keep his friend. With a deep breath, Raymond pushed down his nerves, knowing he needed to focus if he was going to have any chance of actually winning. He looked at Lillian, offering her a friendly smile before saying, "I'm ready, Ma'am."
    Lillian smiled back at you, her face wrinkled and her hair a light grey. She wasn't so old to be a crone, but she was certainly the oldest trainer you'd ever seen. Good. Its always so nice to see young trainers with so much spark in them. Now, I know that I've forgotten something. Ah, the pokemon, that's it. Now lets see ... She hummed softly as she walked to a basket hanging on the wall of the room and withdrew three pokeballs. No doubt she had enough for the thirteen or so prospective trainers gathered here today.

She placed the three pokeballs on the ground. Now Raymond, I'm sure you're aware that you get to choose the pokemon against which you will battle today, so I've gathered three of them here for you to choose between, one from each of the types that I represent. First the bug type pokemon Spinarak. It's a spider just like Jasper, but it uses poison as a weapon instead of sparks. I've also got Tailow, a flying type, and a Rattata, the common yet underestimated normal type present everywhere from here all the way up to Zahaard. Take your time in deciding, but not too long because my old bones can't handle extended battles like they used to. It's tough getting old I tell you.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Regalus View Post
    Adam pointedly steadied his breath as his eyes scanned the area, briefly glancing at the few people in the area, before his eyes settled on the person who held the keys to his feature. Swallowing nervously to push down the beautiflies in his stomach tightened the grip on his ball.

"Y-Yes sir," he replied inwardly cursing the anxious stutter not a second afterwards. He and Thistle were ready for this after all, or so he kept trying to remind himself.
    Leo smiled, a gesture that his hulking Darmantain copied as it picked through a bowl of peppers in front of it. Very good. It feels like only yesterday that I was in your shoes battling Halle for my own license. Halle was the former gym leader of Wrystone, current head of the Safari Zone, and also married to Leo. It felt odd thinking about marrying the person who you battled for your right to be a trainer.

Now, before we get moving, there's one choice for you to make: what kind of pokemon you're battling. First up is a Darumaka, one of Piri Piri's newly hatched children. He tossed a red pepper high in the air, and a young Darumaka launched itself out of the thick fur of Leo's starter where it had been resting to snatch the pepper out of the air. It belched a bit of fire after it had eaten the snack. Second is an Oddish, a grass/poison type from Thousand Acres Ranch, and finally we have a Treeko, a grass type whose only surviving species live in the Safari Zone. Well?

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    Marcus looks at the three Pokeballs, already envisioning the fights that would come to pass with the various opponents. Froakie was a quick Pokemon, focused on powerful strikes and ending the battle before the opponent can take part. In that regard, choosing Squirtle, a heavily defensive Pokemon, would be counterproductive. In the same vein, Snover was a Grass Type, likewise making it a poor choice to battle as it would have an advantage against his Water-Typed Froakie. All that left was the Spheal. It was from the Academy which, for some reason, Marcus felt meant the Pokemon was a fortuitous choice.

"I'd like to battle the Spheal, please," Marcus states, praying that he made the right decision.
    A wonderful choice Marcus. Now we just pull up the arena. Stand back now. He pressed a button on his pokegear, and a large section of the floor slid into the walls to reveal a pool underneath. Just release your pokemon in one corner, and we can get started! He quickly released the Spheal onto one of the platforms, where it began a throaty chuckle common to its kind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Link to the map is in the OOC
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2015-08-15 at 02:08 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jacior View Post
    Dominic looks at the pokeball after averting his eyes from the gaze of the gym leader across the way. This was really it. In just a few minutes, a single battle from now, he was really going to be a pokemon trainer. His other fingered the bottom of his jersey, grabbing the hem in a familiar gesture of being nervous. He practically buzzed with anticipation. Was he going to throw up? Probably not... Maybe. Maybe after... Should have skipped breakfast.

Looking back up at the gym leader, Dominic hopes he doesn't look half as nervous as he feels. "YES!" He accidentally yells. "Erm, um. Yes! I am! I'm very ready. Yes." He can feel his face reddening as he keeps talking. Turning around suddenly he takes a couple deeps and then... slaps himself. The ace trainer in training turns back around, his face lightening up as he relaxes, except for a handprint on his left cheek that stands out a bit. "Sorry, let my nerves get to me a bit. I'm ready when you are."
    Take a breath Dominic Savannah tells you, one eyebrow raised. I've seen you working with Arlo, and the two of you should be just fine. You're more prepared than most who challenge me. She cast a casual glance at the six others sitting in the bleachers off to the side of the sandy arena. Three of them held their pokeballs uncomfortably, like they'd never handled one before. Savannah herself wore cargo pants and a loose tanktop with sturdy boots, working clothes meant for practicality rather than fashion.

Now, one thing about these battles is that you get to choose what kind of pokemon you battle. My choices for you today are Machop, a common fighting type pokemon, the omnipresent Geodude, and finally a Trapinch, its a ground type pokemon now, but it will eventually grow into a powerful dragon. Choose your poison Dominic.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2015-08-15 at 02:09 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicOccurence View Post
    Lillian smiled back at you, her face wrinkled and her hair a light grey. She wasn't so old to be a crone, but she was certainly the oldest trainer you'd ever seen. Good. Its always so nice to see young trainers with so much spark in them. Now, I know that I've forgotten something. Ah, the pokemon, that's it. Now lets see ... She hummed softly as she walked to a basket hanging on the wall of the room and withdrew three pokeballs. No doubt she had enough for the thirteen or so prospective trainers gathered here today.

She placed the three pokeballs on the ground. Now Raymond, I'm sure you're aware that you get to choose the pokemon against which you will battle today, so I've gathered three of them here for you to choose between, one from each of the types that I represent. First the bug type pokemon Spinarak. It's a spider just like Jasper, but it uses poison as a weapon instead of sparks. I've also got Tailow, a flying type, and a Rattata, the common yet underestimated normal type present everywhere from here all the way up to Zahaard. Take your time in deciding, but not too long because my old bones can't handle extended battles like they used to. It's tough getting old I tell you.
    Raymond found himself wishing he had bothered to learn more about Pokemon before coming into this, but it was too late for that. He considered each of the pokemon that Lillian was offering him to battle against. The boy had seen Spinarak before but thought that maybe Jasper wouldn't want to fight against a fellow bug pokemon. He knew what a Tailow was, having seen plenty of them flying over the farm in the past. Raymond was pretty sure birds and bugs didn't get along too well, so he decided against that. Which just left Rattata, another pokemon that Ray had seen in abundance in the forests near his home.

"We'll fight the Rattata, if you don't mind, Ma'am." Ray looked at Jasper who was still sitting on his shoulder, looking about as nervous as he was. "Don't worry, buddy. We can do this if we work together!" Jasper responded with a little noise of approval and then leaped off of Ray's shoulder to land in front of him, ready for the battle that awaited them.

“Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.” -- The Federalist No. 55

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Dominic takes another deep breath, at the suggestion of Savannah. "I know, I know. It's just... if we lose, we have to wait another month and if we fail too many times... I just don't wanna think about it." He twists his head to the side, popping his neck loudly. "Ok. Now I'm really ready." Then she told him about the choice he had to make. He totally knew that... He spends a moment scraping his brain for anything about his choices and then speaks. "Trapinch. I don't know how it fights... It'd be the most fair matchup..."

He thinks for another second. "Or, which is the strongest?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Raymond found himself wishing he had bothered to learn more about Pokemon before coming into this, but it was too late for that. He considered each of the pokemon that Lillian was offering him to battle against. The boy had seen Spinarak before but thought that maybe Jasper wouldn't want to fight against a fellow bug pokemon. He knew what a Tailow was, having seen plenty of them flying over the farm in the past. Raymond was pretty sure birds and bugs didn't get along too well, so he decided against that. Which just left Rattata, another pokemon that Ray had seen in abundance in the forests near his home.

"We'll fight the Rattata, if you don't mind, Ma'am." Ray looked at Jasper who was still sitting on his shoulder, looking about as nervous as he was. "Don't worry, buddy. We can do this if we work together!" Jasper responded with a little noise of approval and then leaped off of Ray's shoulder to land in front of him, ready for the battle that awaited them.
    Lillian nodded in agreement and released the rat pokemon into the arena that you all stood on. It looked like it was outside, although the walls and ceiling indicated otherwise. The grass was short enough for a good arena surface, and a wheatfield stood on the southern half of the arena. A barn came unnaturally out of the wall, the insides dark and shadowed.

For the five decades that I've held this position, custom has been for the challengers to act first. Show me what you're made of youngster. A happy intensity that didn't fit with her wrinkled face broke out, and she placed both hands on the small wooden walking stick that she carried around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, my goal with your first couple battles is to ease you into the system. This one should be pretty simple, nothing crazy, and I'll continue gradually introducing concepts to you throughout the first few battles. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in the OOC, in the pad, or via PM. Once you pick up the system its fairly intuitive. Let's go!

Map link is in the OOC, you get the first move

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Dominic takes another deep breath, at the suggestion of Savannah. "I know, I know. It's just... if we lose, we have to wait another month and if we fail too many times... I just don't wanna think about it." He twists his head to the side, popping his neck loudly. "Ok. Now I'm really ready." Then she told him about the choice he had to make. He totally knew that... He spends a moment scraping his brain for anything about his choices and then speaks. "Trapinch. I don't know how it fights... It'd be the most fair matchup..."

He thinks for another second. "Or, which is the strongest?"
    Savannah smiled wryly. They're all at about the same strength. However, I think I'd say that the geodude is likely the strongest out of this particular batch. However its impossible to really know a pokemon's strength until you battle it yourself. Trust your gut.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's a gorgeous day outside in Wuhtu. The sun is shining, Spearows are chirping, and a nice cool breeze runs through your hair. And yet you're all cooped up inside, in various degrees of nervousness and excitement. You close your eyes and tightly grip the pokeball in your hand. Your heart races as everyone else in the gym falls silent. Today is one of the biggest days of your young life; your first battle ever is about to begin--with everything riding on it. You open your eyes and see your local gym leader across the battlefield from you.

"Are you ready?"
    The light from the outside only reaches the insides of Zahaard's family fortress through the stained glass windows that allow the light to enter. Its painted color washes over Angus and leaves a human-shaped shadow on the floor. His expression is one of grim determination. Angus's decision to take on Gladia as his starter had cost him nearly everything. He feels the absence of his family's tabard like the phantom sensation of a missing limb, taken from him when his own father cast him out. There was so much riding on this fight. If he failed to direct his Pokemon as required of him, there would be no home to go back to. The stakes quelled any excitement Angus felt as he was finally going to be put to the test.

His starter was not held captive in a pokeball. Instead, Gladia floated silently, almost creepily, beside him. In that stoic way that he had come to admire in her, she patiently awaited his answer to the question. There would be no judgment from her whether he backed out now or not. Angus had only himself to answer to.

Looking across at Androssi, the heir apparent to the Zahaard line and an imposing woman in her own right, Angus nods firmly. It galls him that he cannot involve himself more personally in the fight and battle alongside Gladia, but the rules are quite clear. He would have to hope that he had trained her well enough. "Aye."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The boy visibly eased at Leo's words, even cracking a smile at the sight of the little Darumaka's antics. Though as the moment passed Adam pursed his laps in thought as he considered his options for a moment. He knew the smart choice would be to face the treeko; it was the only foe that didn't have type advantage over Thistle, so he'd have his best shot against it...yet that wasn't all. At first glance the Darumaka was certainly a terrible match up, who'd ever think of throwing a grass type at one? But fire types were notoriously squishy, better yet; the advantage went both ways.

Fire might burn grass, but rock was just as good at burying fire.

It was a risky proposition to be sure but...wasn't he here to be tested? To see if he really had what it took to be a trainer? Bad match ups were a part of that, so wouldn't facing that be the better test? Moreover, this was his first attempt; if things went south he could make the safe choice next time...but if he did it? If he really beat a fire type on his first try...surely that would be grand.

"Okay, I think I've made up my mind," he began, his grin widening slightly, "I think will match up against him," he declared as he eyed the playful little Darumaka.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Dominic nods, more confidently this time. "The trapinch, for sure." It wouldn't be an easy fight. That's what his gut told him. And someday that trapinch would be a dragon. Maybe Savannah would let him come have a rematch with it. He grips his pokeball tightly, his excitement building as his nerves quieted

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lillian nodded in agreement and released the rat pokemon into the arena that you all stood on. It looked like it was outside, although the walls and ceiling indicated otherwise. The grass was short enough for a good arena surface, and a wheatfield stood on the southern half of the arena. A barn came unnaturally out of the wall, the insides dark and shadowed.

For the five decades that I've held this position, custom has been for the challengers to act first. Show me what you're made of youngster. A happy intensity that didn't fit with her wrinkled face broke out, and she placed both hands on the small wooden walking stick that she carried around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, my goal with your first couple battles is to ease you into the system. This one should be pretty simple, nothing crazy, and I'll continue gradually introducing concepts to you throughout the first few battles. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in the OOC, in the pad, or via PM. Once you pick up the system its fairly intuitive. Let's go!

Map link is in the OOC, you get the first move
    Spoiler: Battle Info
    Show
    Ray - Health: 57 Initiative: 10 Evasions: ATK 1 SATK 1 ANY 2 Injuries: 0
    Jasper - Health: 38 Intiative: 20 Evasions: ATK 1 SATK 1 ANY 4 Injuries: 0

As the fight truly began, Ray's nervousness was steadily replaced by excitement. This was it! He could do it! Jasper could do it! They just had to be smart about it. While the boy was tempted to have his Joltik rush the Rattata and hit it hard, he knew that he was going up against an experienced (very experienced) Gym Leader. It wouldn't do to make risky decisions, at least not until he had no other choice. Ray paused, taking a look at his surroundings and eyeing the wheatfield.

Making his decision, Ray pointed toward it and shouted to his electric friend, "Jasper! Run for the field and hide!"

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Jasper moves 4 to P13 and attempts to use Stealth to hide. No other actions.

Stealth Roll: (4d6)[16]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

As the fight truly began, Ray's nervousness was steadily replaced by excitement. This was it! He could do it! Jasper could do it! They just had to be smart about it. While the boy was tempted to have his Joltik rush the Rattata and hit it hard, he knew that he was going up against an experienced (very experienced) Gym Leader. It wouldn't do to make risky decisions, at least not until he had no other choice. Ray paused, taking a look at his surroundings and eyeing the wheatfield.

Making his decision, Ray pointed toward it and shouted to his electric friend, "Jasper! Run for the field and hide!"

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Jasper moves 4 to P13 and attempts to use Stealth to hide. No other actions.

Stealth Roll: [roll0]
    Trying to hide are we? Lillian was grinning again. Not many choose that route and charge straight in. However, just because you don't come to me doesn't mean that I have to come to you. Rattata, use focus energy. The rattata stayed where he was and closed its eyes briefly. When they snapped open, its entire body was quivering, ready for battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rattata uses focus energy. Rattata is now pumped! His critical hit range is now 18-20, or is expanded on moves with a higher critical hit rate naturally.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    The light from the outside only reaches the insides of Zahaard's family fortress through the stained glass windows that allow the light to enter. Its painted color washes over Angus and leaves a human-shaped shadow on the floor. His expression is one of grim determination. Angus's decision to take on Gladia as his starter had cost him nearly everything. He feels the absence of his family's tabard like the phantom sensation of a missing limb, taken from him when his own father cast him out. There was so much riding on this fight. If he failed to direct his Pokemon as required of him, there would be no home to go back to. The stakes quelled any excitement Angus felt as he was finally going to be put to the test.

His starter was not held captive in a pokeball. Instead, Gladia floated silently, almost creepily, beside him. In that stoic way that he had come to admire in her, she patiently awaited his answer to the question. There would be no judgment from her whether he backed out now or not. Angus had only himself to answer to.

Looking across at Androssi, the heir apparent to the Zahaard line and an imposing woman in her own right, Angus nods firmly. It galls him that he cannot involve himself more personally in the fight and battle alongside Gladia, but the rules are quite clear. He would have to hope that he had trained her well enough. "Aye."
    Good Androssi said sternly. She was an imposing figure, only 23 years old but far stronger than anybody else in the city. Her very presence oozed power, and she didn't seem to be one for horsing around. Then we'll get started. I know you've had a rough time Angus, but don't make that think that I'll go easier on you. You'll have to earn your badge like everybody else. Her tone was not cruel, merely of one who expected her words to be obeyed without question.

She held out three pokeballs in her hand. You will get your choice of pokemon to battle against: the steel/rock type Aron, the dragon type Axew, and the Steel typed Kling. Name the pokemon that you would prefer to face and we'll begin.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

The boy visibly eased at Leo's words, even cracking a smile at the sight of the little Darumaka's antics. Though as the moment passed Adam pursed his laps in thought as he considered his options for a moment. He knew the smart choice would be to face the treeko; it was the only foe that didn't have type advantage over Thistle, so he'd have his best shot against it...yet that wasn't all. At first glance the Darumaka was certainly a terrible match up, who'd ever think of throwing a grass type at one? But fire types were notoriously squishy, better yet; the advantage went both ways.

Fire might burn grass, but rock was just as good at burying fire.

It was a risky proposition to be sure but...wasn't he here to be tested? To see if he really had what it took to be a trainer? Bad match ups were a part of that, so wouldn't facing that be the better test? Moreover, this was his first attempt; if things went south he could make the safe choice next time...but if he did it? If he really beat a fire type on his first try...surely that would be grand.

"Okay, I think I've made up my mind," he began, his grin widening slightly, "I think will match up against him," he declared as he eyed the playful little Darumaka.
    Leo laughed loudly, and the young Darumaka grinned widely to celebrate its 'victory' over the other pokemon. Quite the brave choice there, but a good one I think. Well, no use wasting time while the sun is up! Since I have type advantage I'll let you go first this time. The little red pokemon quickly loped over to his starting spot, partially hidden from view by the tall grass in the field.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Dominic nods, more confidently this time. "The trapinch, for sure." It wouldn't be an easy fight. That's what his gut told him. And someday that trapinch would be a dragon. Maybe Savannah would let him come have a rematch with it. He grips his pokeball tightly, his excitement building as his nerves quieted
    The Trapinch it is then! Now, I'm sure you're aware of this already, but we usually give challengers the first move in a battle like this. Show me what you're made of Dominic, and be sure to give it your all.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show

Thistle
    *HP: 41/41; No Injuries
    *SDEF & DEF Evasion: 3
    *Initiative: 4
    Adam
    *Initiative: 12

"Well, this is a test right? So we need to show you our best! Right Thistle?" Adam replied, putting up a bit of bravado to steel his nerves; receiving an agreeing cheer from Thistle as he materialized unto his spot on the field.

"Thistle, stick close and use Defense Curl!"

With a quick chirp THistle tucked his arms and legs in, curling up into a spiky grin ball. Now obfuscated by the tall grass, the small mon began carefully rolling around the mighty leafy patch that laid before.

Spoiler: Turn
    Show

Adam
    *Standard Action: Focused Command; +1 to Accuracy and +2 to Skill checks for Thistle
    Thistle
    Shift Action: Move from P18 to M17
    Standard Action: Defense Curl; curl up into a ball, giving Thistle +10 DR and immunity to crits. Along with a bonus to Rollout's damage, that said; it gives him a -4 accuracy penalty to all Moves other than rollout.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trying to hide are we? Lillian was grinning again. Not many choose that route and charge straight in. However, just because you don't come to me doesn't mean that I have to come to you. Rattata, use focus energy. The rattata stayed where he was and closed its eyes briefly. When they snapped open, its entire body was quivering, ready for battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rattata uses focus energy. Rattata is now pumped! His critical hit range is now 18-20, or is expanded on moves with a higher critical hit rate naturally.
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Ray felt rather foolish when Lillian didn't fall for his ploy. He wasn't entirely sure why he assumed a veteran trainer like her would go for it. But it was clear he was going to have to change things up if he was going to have any hope of winning. The Rattata was getting focused or something. Raymond wasn't entirely sure what it was doing. Again, he wished he had read more about other pokemon. But he had read quite a bit about Joltiks when he had been learning how to take care of Jasper.

Furrowing his brow, he motioned toward the Rattata and shouted, "Jasper, let's show them what we can do! Close in and hit that Rattata with a Thunderwave!"

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    Jasper moves to L9 and attacks Rattata with Thunderwave.
    Last edited by Blind Venetian; 2015-08-16 at 12:34 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Show
    Dominic - Health: 51/51; Initiative: 10; Evasions: ATK 1 SATK 1 ANY 2; Injuries: 0
    Arlo - Health: 50/50; Intiative: 2; Evasions: ATK 3+1 SATK 2+1 ANY 0; Injuries: 0

Buffs:
    Arlo:
    -Focused Training: +1 to Accuracy, +2 to Skill Checks
    -Inspired Training: +1 to Evasion, +2 to Save Checks
    -Trained: +1 Attack Combat Stage
    -Momentum (Start of Turn): 0

Dominic nods and releases Arlo onto the sandy field. "Ready Arlo?! It's battle time! Let's win this and earn our licence!" The sandshrew assumes a comically tiny battle stance, like a kid doing a karate pose and trills out an agreement. "Shrrrew!" Clapping his hands together twice, making sure he had Arlo's attention he starts giving orders. "Opponent down the field! Focus and be ready!" Arlo stopped his posing and got down onto all fours, his eyes zeroing in on the trapinch. "Protect yourself with Defense Curl and advance!" The little pokemon curls up and rolls forward across the sand, seemingly uninhibited.

Spoiler: Actions, Turn 1
    Show
    Dominic
    Swift: Tag Trapinch

Arlo
    Standard: Use Defense Curl (Immune to Critical Hits, Gain 10 Damage Reduction, -4 to Accuracy on moves besides Rollout & Ice Ball, +10 Damage to Rollout & Ice Ball)

Shift: Move to N11

Gain 1 Momentum at end of turn

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Marcus lets out a small grin as Augustus gives the command to release, pushing the button on his Pokeball and watching as his Froakie, christened Gelver only a few hours ago when they first trained together, appears on the platform.

"Ready when you are," the boy says nervously, hoping he'd made the proper choice in choosing his starter.

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Thistle
    *HP: 41/41; No Injuries
    *SDEF & DEF Evasion: 3
    *Initiative: 4
    Adam
    *Initiative: 12

"Well, this is a test right? So we need to show you our best! Right Thistle?" Adam replied, putting up a bit of bravado to steel his nerves; receiving an agreeing cheer from Thistle as he materialized unto his spot on the field.

"Thistle, stick close and use Defense Curl!"

With a quick chirp THistle tucked his arms and legs in, curling up into a spiky grin ball. Now obfuscated by the tall grass, the small mon began carefully rolling around the mighty leafy patch that laid before.

Spoiler: Turn
    Show

Adam
    *Standard Action: Focused Command; +1 to Accuracy and +2 to Skill checks for Thistle
    Thistle
    Shift Action: Move from P18 to M17
    Standard Action: Defense Curl; curl up into a ball, giving Thistle +10 DR and immunity to crits. Along with a bonus to Rollout's damage, that said; it gives him a -4 accuracy penalty to all Moves other than rollout.
    Taking advantage of the cover to boost yourself I see Leo noted. Well if you're going to buff yourself, then I'll start turning the terrain for my advantage. Incinerate that grass Darumaka! Still grinning gleefully, the Darumaka launches forwards and spits a gout of flame at some of the tall grass, setting it ablaze, with smoke gushing from the grass and a powerful wildfire roaring red.

Spoiler
    Show
    Darumaka uses incinerate on grass, see the map for changes to environment.

And the tall grass counts as rough and slow terrain.

Rough Terrain: Most Rough Terrain is also Slow Terrain, but not always. When targeting through Rough Terrain, you take a -2 penalty to Accuracy Rolls. Spaces occupied by other Trainers or Pokémon are considered Rough Terrain. Certain types of Rough Terrain may be ignored by certain Pokémon, based on their capabilities. Rough terrain includes tall grass, shrubs, rocks, or anything else that might obscure attacks. squares occupied by enemies always count as Rough Terrain. Additionally it takes 2 squares of movement to move through one square of slow/rough terrain.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Ray felt rather foolish when Lillian didn't fall for his ploy. He wasn't entirely sure why he assumed a veteran trainer like her would go for it. But it was clear he was going to have to change things up if he was going to have any hope of winning. The Rattata was getting focused or something. Raymond wasn't entirely sure what it was doing. Again, he wished he had read more about other pokemon. But he had read quite a bit about Joltiks when he had been learning how to take care of Jasper.

Furrowing his brow, he motioned toward the Rattata and shouted, "Jasper, let's show them what we can do! Close in and hit that Rattata with a Thunderwave!"

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    Jasper moves to L9 and attacks Rattata with Thunderwave.
    I see you're playing the long term game Raymond. Lillian noted excitedly. But lets see if your paralysis takes any effect! Rattata, use tackle!

And the rattata did. It moved awkwardly with electricity coursing through its veins, but it charged anyways, launching itself at Jasper.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just so you know, you have editing privileges for the maps.

Rattata uses Tackle! AC 3 (and with your 2 speed evasion, the new AC is 5. If it hits 5 then it successfully attacks) physical normal damage. Crit 18+. Rolled a 7 for AC

(2d8+18)[22] (2d8+8 base, +10 stats) Critical damage (2d8+8)[19]. If successful, the target is pushed back 2 meters.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2015-08-16 at 08:51 AM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Dominic - Health: 51/51; Initiative: 10; Evasions: ATK 1 SATK 1 ANY 2; Injuries: 0
    Arlo - Health: 50/50; Intiative: 2; Evasions: ATK 3+1 SATK 2+1 ANY 0; Injuries: 0

Buffs:
    Arlo:
    -Focused Training: +1 to Accuracy, +2 to Skill Checks
    -Inspired Training: +1 to Evasion, +2 to Save Checks
    -Trained: +1 Attack Combat Stage
    -Momentum (Start of Turn): 0

Dominic nods and releases Arlo onto the sandy field. "Ready Arlo?! It's battle time! Let's win this and earn our licence!" The sandshrew assumes a comically tiny battle stance, like a kid doing a karate pose and trills out an agreement. "Shrrrew!" Clapping his hands together twice, making sure he had Arlo's attention he starts giving orders. "Opponent down the field! Focus and be ready!" Arlo stopped his posing and got down onto all fours, his eyes zeroing in on the trapinch. "Protect yourself with Defense Curl and advance!" The little pokemon curls up and rolls forward across the sand, seemingly uninhibited.

Spoiler: Actions, Turn 1
    Show
    Dominic
    Swift: Tag Trapinch

Arlo
    Standard: Use Defense Curl (Immune to Critical Hits, Gain 10 Damage Reduction, -4 to Accuracy on moves besides Rollout & Ice Ball, +10 Damage to Rollout & Ice Ball)

Shift: Move to N11

Gain 1 Momentum at end of turn
    So you plan on using a defense curl/rollout combination attack? Well, lets see if you can really pull it off! Her Trapinch dashed forwards while scooping up sand in its jaws and launching a volley of newly formed mud at Arlo.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trapinch shifts and uses mud slap! AC 2 Special Ground attack (1d20)[18]
    (1d8+9)[16]
    On crit: (1d8+6)[14]
    On a hit Arlo's accuracy lowers by 1.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show