New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Hardest Monster you've ever faced?

It can be any edition. I'll start. (It would be cool to have a story.)

I faced a unicorn that killed my party. We were only level 1s.
    GENERATION 16: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Hardest Monster you've ever faced?

ToEE

Gelatinous cube that was apparently trained by wraiths to attack characters wielding holy symbols... I hate that module.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

As a GM, back when I still used monsters frequently I sent something called a node snake against the PCs. Individually they aren't much, but if there are several in the general proximity the area between them is crackling with electricity, meaning that they get extremely dangerous, extremely quickly as multiple gather. Nobody was playing a particular cautious character, and the fight against the node snakes turned into a desperate attempt to contain the individuals under insulating sheets used as nets as the entire area grew more and more electrically charged.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

4th ed. Probably the Far Realm Abomination (Level 10 Solo with 3 effective turns) while my party was at level 6, and an endless stream of level 10 minions kept warping in, while we were constantly teleported, injured and subject to nasty status effects (like dazing) by the environment at random.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

A lamia. Consistently stunned our guys, and took half damage from most of our attacks. We didn't get to kill it, as our DM skipped over the rest of the encounter.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Lamia combined with beetles

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Lamia combined with beetles
    Flesh Golems for us.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

2 Young Red Dragons on a lvl 6 party

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

^ That's just overkill!

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

trust me, i know. i'm glad we all had some form of teleport to get away easier

Spoiler
    Show
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

2 Young RDs for a level 6 party? Doesn't sound too bad if there's no environmental factors hindering you, you've got a good controller (and leader), and you're starting this battle at full force. If you've got someone who can also hand out fire resistance, it's very doable (though it will be a long, boring, arduous fight).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    2 Young RDs for a level 6 party? Doesn't sound too bad if there's no environmental factors hindering you, you've got a good controller (and leader), and you're starting this battle at full force. If you've got someone who can also hand out fire resistance, it's very doable (though it will be a long, boring, arduous fight).
    The Party consisted of a Dwarf Fighter, a Longtooth shifter fighter, Eladrin Beastmaster ranger and Human Warlock. The party cleric hadn't shown up for 2 sessions

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

PirateCaptain

Killed the Tarrasque at Level 17.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Beating the level 30 solo Tarrasque with a single level 5 Wizard: Arcane Whirlwind (L1 Daily) + Web (L5 Daily) + Insert Magic Missile or other source of adequate autohit damage here.

Step 1: Cast Web on Tarrasque from beyond range of his attacks.

Step 2: Use Action Point.

Step 3: Arcane Whirlwind Tarrasque. Use Effect to slide Tarrasque into a square within Web. He is now auto-immobilized (save ends).

Step 4: Let Tarrasque do nothing meaningful on his turn because he's immobilized and you're beyond range of his attacks. Maybe taunt as a Free Action.

Step 5: If Tarrasque saved, use Arcane Whirlwind Sustain Minor to slide Tarrasque and immobilize it again (save ends) as above.

Step 6: Use Magic Missile to autodamage Tarrasque with a +4 or better implement (or be a level 9 Wizard and use Stinking Cloud/Firewall/other source of 11+ autodamage). Rinse and repeat until dead.

Step 7: Have Kayne West let it finish and tell you that you're the greatest wizard of all time. Of all time!

Congrats, you just soloed the Tarrasque in Heroic.

For those concerned about winning Initiative, use the level 2 skill power Strategist's Epiphany and max out your History skill.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wouldn't the dragons just fly away eventually?
    Currently moving houses, posting will be sporadic for the next little while.

16. - Top - End - #16

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-03-28 at 12:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfiyah View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Incorrect: 'ends its move in the web' means if it ends any movement in the zone, including forced movement; movement is the act of leaving one square and entering another. If the wording was 'ends its move action in the web', or 'willingly ends its move(ment) in the web' then yes, this would not work. And no, I didn't actually do this (not crazy enough to think a DM wouldn't fiat the Tarrasque to a win), but it is entirely possible as per the RAW, and is meant to highlight how terribly designed, and easily abused the Tarrasque (and Web) is in a humourous way.

EDIT: What's this about the Tarrasque ending its turn in the zone? There's no clause or passage in the power that references ending its turn. Don't you find it ironic that you're impugning my reading comprehension when you're referencing a passage that doesn't even exist?

Also why so hostile?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spiders. Seriously, regardless of size or level for whatever reason spiders provide greater threat than anything else. Had one under challenged encounter with spiders that almost ended in TPK which directly preceeded a level+3 encounter that we used a grand total of 3 surges to recover from with a 6 character party...

I don't know if its the webs, or the ongoing effects but spiders just do bad things...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Anything which is identified as a swarm really. Constant auto-damage due to auras plus 1/2 damage from direct attacks? Ouch.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Hardest monster? An adamantine Golem....

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

*Ba-dum pish*

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just last week. Level 10, 2 person party consisting of Fighter mounted on a griffon (me) and an almost unoptimized (in any meaningful sense) Paladin mounted on a blink dog.

Fought 8 wraiths, 1 dread wraith. We died horribly. I got spectacularly unlucky with my first fortitude save, rolling a 1 to save against the dread wraith's Con damaging attack. Took 8 Con damage, put me into the single digits and destroying any chance I had of saving against the normal wraiths. The paladin tried to turn, but since he's a paladin and not useful a cleric, it only drove off 3 of the wraiths. He held his own for a while until they killed his mount and just beat on him until he died.

Also, pretty sure this belongs in Roleplaying Games, not in the 4e specific section. Unless you meant for the responses to be only 4e.
    Last edited by TroubleBrewing; 2011-03-28 at 01:53 PM.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goonthegoof View Post
    Wouldn't the dragons just fly away eventually?
    the only exit was the tunnel that we came in from and thus they were chasing us to the exit

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Our DM recently made us fight an Elder Brown Dragon. I'm sure it was a level appropriate encounter, but it was a rather difficult fight. The room we fought the dragon in was really tiny. When the dragon used its breath weapon, the only safe places were 1)the 1 square wide hallway we came from or 2)the 1 square wide section on the opposite side of the room where his breath wouldn't fit.

Other annoying things about the battle:
    -We had 2 characters who could only attack with ranged powers(seeker and wizard), so they got attacked each time they tried to do anything.
    -The previously mentioned wizard specialized in fire spells. Unfortunately, the dragon's fire resistance made it so the wizard only did single digit damage.
    -The dragon's special movement, the ranged counter, and the breath weapon left us blinded most of the fight.

We eventually won with no casualties, but the druid was pretty close to dying.

We thought that we were going to have a tough fight against a Dire Bulette last session, especially when we fell 80 feet into a hole and ended up fighting some golems and shapeshifters, but it turned out to be rather easy. Long story short, I used Dismissal to permanently remove the bulette from the plane.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Incorrect: 'ends its move in the web' means if it ends any movement in the zone, including forced movement; movement is the act of leaving one square and entering another. If the wording was 'ends its move action in the web', or 'willingly ends its move(ment) in the web' then yes, this would not work. And no, I didn't actually do this (not crazy enough to think a DM wouldn't fiat the Tarrasque to a win), but it is entirely possible as per the RAW, and is meant to highlight how terribly designed, and easily abused the Tarrasque (and Web) is in a humourous way.

EDIT: What's this about the Tarrasque ending its turn in the zone? There's no clause or passage in the power that references ending its turn. Don't you find it ironic that you're impugning my reading comprehension when you're referencing a passage that doesn't even exist?

Also why so hostile?
    You're inserting your own definition of what a move is in there.

From PHB:

FORCED MOVEMENT
    ✦ Line of Effect: You must have line of effect to any
    square you pull, push, or slide a creature into.
    ✦ Distance in Squares: The power you’re using specifies
    how many squares you can move a target. You
    can choose to move the target fewer squares or not
    to move it at all. You can’t move the target vertically.
    ✦ Specific Destination: Some powers don’t specify a
    distance in squares but instead specify a destination,
    such as “adjacent” (a square adjacent to you).
    ✦ No Opportunity Attacks: Forced movement does
    not provoke opportunity attacks or other opportunity
    actions.
    ✦ Ignore Difficult Terrain: Forced movement isn’t
    hindered by difficult terrain.
    ✦ Not a Move: Forced movement doesn’t count
    against a target’s ability to move on its turn. A target’s
    speed is irrelevant to the distance you move it.

Clearly says that it's not 'a move' and meaning it's certainly not 'the tarrasque's move' so wont qualify for web's effect.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateCaptain

Yay! I don't feel like my party's victory was worthless now!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    You're inserting your own definition of what a move is in there.

From PHB:

FORCED MOVEMENT
    ✦ Line of Effect: You must have line of effect to any
    square you pull, push, or slide a creature into.
    ✦ Distance in Squares: The power you’re using specifies
    how many squares you can move a target. You
    can choose to move the target fewer squares or not
    to move it at all. You can’t move the target vertically.
    ✦ Specific Destination: Some powers don’t specify a
    distance in squares but instead specify a destination,
    such as “adjacent” (a square adjacent to you).
    ✦ No Opportunity Attacks: Forced movement does
    not provoke opportunity attacks or other opportunity
    actions.
    ✦ Ignore Difficult Terrain: Forced movement isn’t
    hindered by difficult terrain.
    ✦ Not a Move: Forced movement doesn’t count
    against a target’s ability to move on its turn. A target’s
    speed is irrelevant to the distance you move it.

Clearly says that it's not 'a move' and meaning it's certainly not 'the tarrasque's move' so wont qualify for web's effect.
    Actually I'm not. Rules Compendium (the authority on game rules/definitions) defines a move as follows, Page 200:

"move: Any instance of movement, whether it is done willingly or unwillingly. Whenever a creature, an object or an effect leaves another square to enter another, it is moving. Shifting, teleporting and being pushed are all examples of moves."

The Arcane Whirlwind slides the Tarrasque from one square in the zone to another square in the zone, therefore it ends its move in the web and is subject to immobilized (save ends).

Yeah, Kanye West is still gonna be letting it finish.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm going to point this out but can anyone define "ends it's move" in RAW quotes? I have a feeling it's probably meant to mean 'move action'.

30. - Top - End - #30