New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: chaos mutations

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default chaos mutations

I'm trying to inject some creepiness into the campaign I'm running. And since some of my players know every rule for every spell and every creature I thought I'd throw something new into the works.
    Namely, I want to bring the forces of chaos from warhammer into my dnd campaign.

I'm trying to create a chaos mutation chart, so that I can make mutants and spawns. If anyone know of anything like this on the web or has ideas for mutations please share them.
    here are some of the 'gifts' I am likely to bestow on my players/npc/villians

hunchbacked
    grows hardened carapace
    hand(s) become claws
    legs become goat legs w/hooves
    eyestalks
    shark mouth
    lamprey eel mouth
    extra arm
    tentacles
    arm becomes tentacle
    fleshy eruption (think tetsuo)
    bestial face
    horns
    shriveled limb
    gills
    wings
    skinless
    eye become sunken empty pits
    scales
    spits acid
    acid blood
    breath fire
    talons for fingers
    barbed flesh
    spikes
    bloated with maggots
    second head
    covered in popping boils
    angelic aura
    tail
    prehensile tail
    very long legs
    blind
    emits slime/goo
    eyes become mouths
    filth cloud
    metal becomes part of body
    enormously fat
    spider legs
    regeneration
    fur
    lashing tongue
    amorphic body(sort of ooze like)
    ice cold
    skin changes color
    Chameleon skin
    photosynthesis, leaves covering
    skeleton grows, pierces skin
    Beak (bird or octopus)
    bird legs/feet
    bug eyes
    body constantly on fire
    cyclopean
    elastic limb
    extra joints
    third eye
    featureless face
    growth
    rotting flesh
    suckers
    shrink

here is a link with some thoughts on the rules for said mutations although this is just a very rough draft
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...R6f5MfsFkUvnXA
    the mutations with a star indicate that they also cause a -4 to disguse
    I just don't like my players to know what is going to happen next.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: chaos mutations

Damn it. I was going to ask if you wanted to just use the Slaad mutation table, but now I find out it's not publically available, so unless you have the book, no dice on that one. Sorry.
    Recent Ancient Attempts at homebrewing :

Daoist(Prc), Kinderhorror (MitP:8-0), Gribble(MitP: 11-1), Shardfiend(MitP:8-0), Sun Tyrant(MitP:6-0), Sunworshiper(MitP: 3-0),Spidaren (MitP: 7-0), Movie Themed Feats

Any & all advice and opinions, and votes, are welcome

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, heh. Why not just play War Hammer Fantasy Roleplay? Well, given that you are not in favour of that, I wonder about Mutation Charts. Some of these are going to require Level Adjustment, I think. Nice idea, but how are you incorporating the corrupting poer of Chaos into your Campaign World? Are you introducing the Chaos Deities or is this just going to be part of the Supernatural Force (Chaos)?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm...I've seen mutation systems before that were somewhat similar to this one. Have you, perchance, heard of the book Chaositech? It has a mutation system (in addition to enough stuff to creep out a PC to level 666 of the Abyss and back). I'd post a link, but I'm not at home, and this computer I'm on is pretty slow. Following their general idea, I suggest you arrange these in a creature template with the abilities sorted out in accordance to how much of a benefit/hinderance they are, and have them adjust the creatures CR accordingly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax
    June 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008
    Dave Arneson
    October 1, 1947 - April 7, 2009
    Rest in peace.

Stonemen: My contribution to the MitP project and probably the coolest thing I've ever statted. Votes: Yes 8, No 0
    My Avatar Gallery
    (and some other stuff too, but you don't have to look at that)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hee Hee Hee... may I direct you to the DMgasmic Book of Vile Darkness?

• The random effects of the Warp Touch spell, Table 2-5 details 38 grotesque and wonderful mutation effects.
    • Evil players/NPCs can take Deformity feats, which grant bonusses for grotesque self-mutilation
    • Its dark and thoroughly debased take on evil will truly be at home in a WFB-themed campaign

[/plug-for-BoVD]
    Last edited by Hazkali; 2007-06-17 at 05:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Most of the time, you can just cut and paste from monsters with the traits required, or copy from spells. Where things don't have any real game impact, try this:

Horrific Appearance
    Your appearance is deformed and twisted in horrible ways. You disgust all those who see your face.
    Rule effects: Anyone who sees your undisguised face must make a will save (DC 10 + 1/2HD + Con? modifier) or be shaken. You can take a standard action to do really gross stuff, forcing a Fortitude save (same DC) from a single opponent against being nauseated for one round. You take a -4 penalty to all Disguise and Diplomacy checks skills among non-Chaos worshippers. You gain a +2 bonus to all Diplomacy checks among Chaos worshippers, and a +2 bonus to all intimidate checks.

Type bonuses as appropriate.
    Ralien, my elf soulknife, by Magioth.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkali View Post

• The random effects of the Warp Touch spell, Table 2-5 details 38 grotesque and wonderful mutation effects.
    • Evil players/NPCs can take Deformity feats, which grant bonusses for grotesque self-mutilation
    • Its dark and thoroughly debased take on evil will truly be at home in a WFB-themed campaign

[/plug-for-BoVD]
    And that's not counting the whole warp touch disease, detailed on some other page.

*I don't know what the name is, but it was a warping disease with a 100 point table of stuff, in the diseases section.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2007-06-17 at 07:04 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I made one of these once It had 100 entries, written by hand. It was for a class that had to roll a d% on the table for every level.

But then again, that class also had negative BaB progression. Ahh, those were more innocent times.
    OotSP :D
    Spoiler
    Show

My creations:
    Custom initiative system (shots)
    The Nameless [MitpII]
    D20 "total conversion" (will probably never be finished :P)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkali View Post

[/plug-for-BoVD]
    Very good, but he said these players know every rule for everything. In that case, they'll probably have all the Exalted counters to everything in the BoVD.

[/plug for BoED]

My advice:Homebrew it.
    Last edited by Call Me Siggy; 2007-06-17 at 07:18 PM.
    This is Siggy...

...This is Siggy's Siggy....

Spoiler
    Show

Inner Animal by Talfrey, Original Avatar by Mr. Saturn, Norlamin by Abardam.
    Currently Playing:
    Norlamin, God of Honor and Chivalry (And his Champion!) in When On Olympus.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    And that's not counting the whole warp touch disease, detailed on some other page.

*I don't know what the name is, but it was a warping disease with a 100 point table of stuff, in the diseases section.
    My bad, Warp Touch is a disease, not a spell, although if you count the number of points on the table there are only 38 - I'd always assumed there were 100 because it asks for a d% roll.

Anyway, if you really want to up the Forces-of-Chaos aspect, give them the Warpsword, which inflicts anyone it hits (fort negates) with Warp Touch.

MWAHAHAHA!

*ahem*

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Thanks everyone! I'll have to do some reading/purchasing. =]

as for the warpsword, I created a greater demon of Tzneetch which basically does the same thing when a player attacks it, although it warps the weapon not the wielder, although if the player attacks with a natural weapon.....

12. - Top - End - #12

I just have to say that this rocks my socks off. Warhammer for D&D would be awesome to play. I even got my username from Warhammer!

I don't have anything of substance to add to the conversation, I was just wanting to coment.

EDIT: Corrected grammar.
    Last edited by Ghal Marak; 2007-06-18 at 08:58 AM.