New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Eternal Wands

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Eternal Wands

Can you increase the Caster level on an Eternal Wand? The creation costs in the MIC don't divide evenly. e.g. a 2nd level spell by a 3rd level caster costs 2210gp and 176XP to create which leaves a multiplier of 368.333.
    Are there any rules re: eternal wands in any other books?

Also, can you use a metamagic rod in conjuntion with a wand or staff?
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eternal Wands

Really? I read somewhere on this forum that Eternal Wands are actually created according to the DMG custom magic item guidelines of all things. If that's true, it would be pretty easy to solve your problem.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I believe they were an application of those only with some extra thrown in in the form of working for any arcane caster, originally for Eberron and then they got picked up by the MIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Really? I read somewhere on this forum that Eternal Wands are actually created according to the DMG custom magic item guidelines of all things. If that's true, it would be pretty easy to solve your problem.
    OK. I looked at an old thread, and apparently, the formula for the 'creation cost' is:
    (Spell Level)*(Caster Level)*(360) + 50.

This gives us what is in the MIC. It may have been a little different in the Ebberon book in which it appears.(I don't own any Ebberon books.)
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Eternal Wands are presented in the ECS, but I see no formula there.

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    I don't think so.

Notably, their pricing isn't dependent on things like the spell's duration.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post

I don't think so.

Notably, their pricing isn't dependent on things like the spell's duration.
    The guidelines in the DMG aren't based on spell's durations at all.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kharmakazy View Post
    The guidelines in the DMG aren't based on spell's durations at all.
    Well, they are for continuous items.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    I guess they feel they don't need to, since they give the cost for every possible combo (or do they? Duhn duhn duhn!)

I think it is interesting to compare them to Schemas from Magic of Eberron. Apologies if this has been done before:

{table=head]Level | Eternal Wand | Minor Schema (x2)
    0 | 460gp | n/a
    1 | 820gp | 800gp
    2 | 4,420gp | 4,800gp
    3 | 10,090gp | 12,000gp
    4 | n/a | 22,400gp[/table]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry to dig up old bones, but this wasn't really answered completely, I think.

To answer the OP, I'd say yes, you can increase your caster level - but only if you make them as, simply, a Wondrous Item. If you're trying to make them as an Eternal Wand specifically, they're sadly limited in their guidelines and it isn't an option by RAW. Feel free to bring the following up to your DM, though.

If you scroll up a little bit from that table I link later in the post, the fourth note below the "Summary of Magic Item Creation Costs" table says that for all magic item categories, "A character creating an item pays 1/25 the base price in experience points."
    4420gp (2210x2 for Base Price) divided by 25 gets you and 176.8, rounded down (as almost everything is in D&D) for a total cost of 2210GP, 176XP, and 4-5 days of work, depending on how you read the "1 day per 1000GP in the Base price". I've heard more often that it's rounded up, but I always round it down - like almost everything else in D&D.

Someone elsewhere had once mentioned an Eternal Wand's cost was that of a Command Word Item with X per day use, as per this table.

So, this is what it seems to be:
    Spell level * Caster level * 1800 (command word) * 2 / 5 ( 2 charges per day) + 100 (for the crystal rod).

That would mean the prices are as follows, which are the same as they are in the book. Keep in mind, to make one yourself costs half as much as the totals shown below, along with some EXP and Material Spell Component costs.
    0.5 * 1 * 1800 * 0.4 + 100 = 460 gp
    1 * 1 * 1800 * 0.4 + 100 = 820 gp
    2 * 3 * 1800 * 0.4 + 100 = 4420 gp
    3 * 5 * 1800 * 0.4 + 100 = 10900 gp.

Hopefully this helps someone still looking for an answer.
    Last edited by PrinceRenais; 2012-09-14 at 06:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

huh, I always thought the formula was (cost of normal wand X2)/(2/5) +100 for the dragonshard.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign