New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Amerhikan Wasteland (an Exodus Setting)

This idea started as Exodus with fantasy races, it has since evolved into an alternate earth timeline. In a nutshell its a 1970s nuclear apocalypse with a coating of sci fi tech.

Heres the races and a snapshot of each;

Humans: Humans originated from tribes scattered around Europe, some eventually making it down to Egypt. Humans were part of the Kingdom of Egpyt as well as the Celtic tribes, the Cossacks, and the Romani, as well as many other peoples. Humans live primarily in Amerhika, Ireland, and Eastern Europe.

Elves: The Elves originated for the Roman Empire, and after its fall formed the nations of France, Britain and Italy as well as several others. They conquered many humans and made them their serfs, an arrangement that has lasted many years. In the modern age humans are still an underclass in predominantly Elven countries.

Dwarves: Dwarves originated in Greece and the Roman Empire, eventually spreading through Germany, Russia, and the Nordic Countries. Humans in Dwarven lands are treated a bit better than in the Elven nations, but they are still an underclass.

Goblins and Bugbears: Goblins and Bugbears originated in Africa, and by and large that is where they remained for many years, until Elven slavers came in the 17th century. After that they spread around the world.

Orcs: Orcs lived throughout Canada and Eastern Armerhika. They had many tribes spread throughout the continent. When the first elven explorers came to North Amerhika they met with orcish natives. It didnt go well.

Gnolls: Gnolls live throughout the Amerhikan West all the way south through Mexico. They too have many tribes throughout the continent.

Saurans: Saurans, sometimes called lizardmen, live in Southeastern Amerhika as well as all across the South Amerhikan continent.

The Timeline:
    Spoiler: Timey-Wimey Stuff
    Show
    For brevity's sake im only listing important events, starting with the discovery of Amerhika (as thats where the game is set, obviously)

Late 12th century: Famed Dwarven explorer Lief Ericson sets off to colonize Newfoundland. 5 years later a second wave of colonizer a set off, planing to restock with Leif's party. But when they arrive, they find the corpses frozen next to their burn she'll of a ship. The bodies haven't been touched or even decomposed. They are just frozen with arrows sticking out of them. Black arrows.

1492 Columbus Discovers Amerhika- Christopher Columbus, an Elven explorer discovers Amerhika. Initial contact with Sauran natives was inconclusive as the Saurans appeared uninterested in anything the Elves had.

1585 Roanoke founded- Roanoke was one of the first colonies founded on Amerhika and it was the first to be wiped out. The Elves the colonized there were killed by local Orcs, while the humans where taken to the tribes camp and eventually adopted.

1586 Roanoke re founded- The humans go back to Roanoke several weeks before ships from Europe were expected, they tell the Elves on board of a mysterious illness that killed all the Elves at the colony. Some of the Elvish colonists disembark but most return to Europe. The elves that disembarked are slain by the same "illness".

1595-Elvish settlers stop coming to Amerhika, humans are sent instead, as they are immune to the "illness"

1608- The first permanent settlement in Canada is founded, apparently the "illness" is not present in the northern climes.

1609-1769 Exploration and colonization of Amerhika continue. The human colonies expand quickly with the help of the local Orcish tribes.

1770- After nearly 200 hundred years, through methods unknown, the Elvish nations discover what the "illness" actually is, and begin to send large punitive military units to Amerhika as well as put punishing taxes into place.

1775- After 5 years of punishing taxes and large scale military oppression, the humans rise up and declare independence, many orc tribes join with them as they begin to fight the allied Elvish forces.

1783- After 8 bloody years, the Revolutionary War ends, the United States of Amerhika is officially recognized as a sovereign nation. Canada is now part of Amehika.

1810- Amerhikan Navy begins "emancipation raids" off the coast of Africa. Many rescued slaves are taken to Amerhika after it is discovered that the Amerhikans have no way to get them home.

1812- The War of 1812 erupts over the price of slaves, which has almost tripled because of Amerhikan raids.

1815- After two and a half years, the war ends, Amerhika agrees to stop the naval raids.

1817- Many Sauran tribes in the Amerhikan Southeast agree to join the United States.

1856- The Plains Wars begin. Amerhikan settlers clash with Gnoll tribes on the great plains.

1865- After 9 years of bloody conflict a peace is forged between several Gnoll tribes and the United States.

1898- The Spainish Amerhikan war occurs, Amerhika gains Mexico.

1914- WWI begins, Amerhika remains in isolation

1917- At the request of France and Britain, and the promise of lucrative trade agreements, Amerhika enters WWI

1918- One year after the United States entry into the War, the War ends. Amerhika counsels against the harsh reparations France and Britain wish to levy against Germany. Amerhika's counsel is ignored and the trade agreements promised are never signed.

1920- Amerhika begins to explore the southern tip of the Mexican territory and discover the Cueva tribe of Saurans in Panama. Peaceful contact is made by Jean Maurice, a Sauran supervisor on the exploration team, and the only person the Cueva would communicate with.

1922- The Strait of Panama is discovered. Led by Cueva guides, Jean Maurice, now a respected explorer and "expert" on the Cueva, discovered the Strait of Panama, a natural pass from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific ocean.

1926- After several years of negotiation the Cueva decide to become a protectorate of Amerhika. The Cueva begin the process of modernization.

1930- The Great Depression begins. Not being as dependent on international trade the United States isnt hit as hard as Europe. The Dust Bowl begins.

1938-The Great Depression and the Dust Bowl end. The Cueva, in their attempts to modernize, purchase all of their modern goods from Amerhika, thus shortening the Great Depression.

1939- WWII begins. Hitler asks Amerhika to join him against the Allies. Amerhika politely refuses. France' Maginot Line holds Germany back.

1942- Operation Valkyrie is a success and Hitler is assassinated along with many of his increasingly crazed staff. Henning von Tresckow, now Chancellor of Germany sends request for Amerhika to reconsider joining the Axis. While Amerhika deliberates this change, Britain and France, acting on partial intelligence, launch an attack on Manhattan. The Battle of Manhattan Harbor is fought with Amerhika coming out bruised but whole. Amerhika joins with the Axis.

1945- After 2 years of being hammered in two directions, Britain and France surrender to the Axis. Russia swears to fight "to the last man". Amerhika deploys Little Boy, a nuclear weapon, on Stalingrad, where, by happy coincidence, Joseph Stalin was giving a speech. Russia agreed to a ceasefire 3 days later.

1960- After presiding over the reconstruction of France and Russia, Amerhika withdraws from the world stage and focuses on internal problems.

1982- Edward Cochran and Floyd von Braun create the first Fusion Reactor.

1987- Sparked by Chinese aggression Amerhika begins research on Power Armor, the first suit is a success, mass production started almost immediately.

1990- Victor Holonyak creates the first man-portable laser weapon, though man-portable was debatable it started the "laser revolution". The first Fusion powered car hits the market.

2012- Day 0. Longstanding anger at Amerhika comes to a head. China, France, and Britain open "WWIII" with a massive barrage of Rad Missiles targeted at the United States. The Amerhikan laser defense system shoots down the majority of the missiles but more than enough get through, forcing the populace into the Ark Vaults. President Ron Jones gives his famous "Final Speech" before launching Amerhikan counter-measures, two multistage "bus" missiles loaded to the gills with fusion warheads. China refers to this day as "The Day of Heavens Fury" and Europe simply calls it "The Rain of Fire". There are no exact numbers on casualties, but is guessed that only 30% of the Amerhikan population is left, either in Ark Vaults or above ground.

2062- Ark Vaults begin to open.

Mechanical Stuff
    All races are Medium
    Human
    +2 Int, +2 Con
    30 ft movement speed
    +1 to three skills or +3 to one skill

Elf
    +2 Dex, +2 Int
    30ft movement speed
    +2 on Search, Spot, Listen, and Sense Motive
    Automatically gets a Search check when within 5ft of a hidden door or compartment
    Low light Vision

Dwarf
    +2 Con, +2 Wis
    20ft movement speed
    +4 vs Bull Rush, Trip, and Overrun attempts
    +4 on Fort saves vs Poison and Radiation
    Take no movement penalty while in medium or heavy armor

Orc
    +2 Str, +2 Wis
    30ft movement speed
    +2 on Knowledge (nature) and Survival
    +4 on Fort saves vs Disease and Fatigue

Gnoll
    +2 Con, +2 Str
    30ft movement speed
    +2 on Ride, Handle Animal, and Survival
    Scent

Bugbear
    +2 Str, +2 Dex
    30ft Movement Speed
    +1 Nat Armor
    +2 Spot, Listen, Hide and Move Sliently
    +1 to all saves

Goblin
    +2 Int, +2 Cha
    30ft Movement Speed
    +2 on Diplomacy, Bluff, Repair, Disable Device and one Craft Skill
    Slight Build

Sauran
    +2 Str, +2 Con
    30ft movement speed 15ft swim speed
    +2 Nat Armor
    2 Claws (1d4) and a Bite (1d4) natural attacks
    Hold Breath

Oni
    +2 Dex, +2 Cha
    30ft movement
    Low Light Vision
    +1 on Will and Fort Saves

Trans-Genetic Mutant
    +4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int
    30ft movement
    +4 Fort vs Disease and Radiation
    Combat Bonus: Trans-Genetic Mutants can only use Large or bigger Ranged weapons and Medium or larger melee weapons. Additionally they can only wear armor specially sized for them (this increases the cost by 50%) but their thick skin grants then PDR 3.
    Powerful Build

Sorry for the WALL OF TEXT, yes this is my "short version" any help the playground can provide would be great.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2014-12-12 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Amerhikan Wasteland (an Exodus Setting)

Why did you change the name of America? You didn't change any others, and the elven culture that found it still produces names like Christopher Columbus, so why didn't Amerigo Vespucci show up?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hmm... I'm all for Urban Fantasy or the whole All Myths are Real type modern settings but, really? Roman Elves? Considering traditional life expectancy for Elves... You'd have the entire rise and fall of the Empire in what: three or four generations?

If you wanted to do a post-nuclear apocalypse RPG with fantasy elements, it might be a good idea to make it so that the fantasy elements are emerging after the devastation of the nuclear war, not because they're mutants or something but because... Humanity has all but wiped itself out, allowing these beings a chance to climb out of wherever they've hidden themselves and repopulate, repair, and generally take over the globe while the remains of humanity is desperately trying to eek out a living.

In which case, it wouldn't be an Elven Roman Empire or Greek Dwarves... but human nations which have marched ultimately to destruction. You could then place fantasy creatures and societies in their proper geographical locals based on their myths.

If I was doing this (and I have toyed with a Urban Fantasy campaign for Pathfinder), this is how I'd do it.

The Elves live in England, Western and Northern Europe... They have recently come back out of hiding from their legendary home of Alfheim, where they have hidden themselves along with other fey like creatures from human eyes. Now that humanity has all but destroyed themselves, they are spreading out from their mythical homes to reclaim the land and repair the damage wrought upon nature by the war and human society. As a result they have an alliance of common interests with Fey, Fairies, and Goblins (which traditionally actually are a form of fey... a rather mischievous version to be sure).

It's likely the elves of England and France would be different from the Elves the areas of Northern Europe (Norway, Finland, Sweeden, and Denmark). There Elves have to also deal with the local Dwarven, Giant, and Svartalfr (Black Elves or Drow), whom have also become active. The region would also be home to trolls, as they originated from Norway.

In both regions the Elves are in direct competition with Orcs who have moved out of their hidden underground lairs to pillage human society and civilization's technology.

Germany would have kobolds... as that's where the myth of them originated. Considering myths of kobolds include them taking over one of the Germany's bigger cities for a couple day, I'd say that with humanity gone they've moved out of their caves and reclaimed the remains of a number of the larger cities.

Greece is now dominated by many of the traditional mythical creatures of Greek tradition, Harpies... Lamia... Sirens... Nymphs... and Centaurs now have claimed the land that was once the nation of Greece.

Africa is dominated by Gnolls, as they are hyena people and therefore obvious for the continent which has Hyenas.

North America is home to a variety of different mythical creatures and people: Pukwudgies, Lizardfolk, Thunderbirds, and Sasquatch. In addition both Ireland and Newfoundland would have populations of Sidhe folk or Sith, more commonly known by Tolkien's portrayal of them as the Halfling or Hobbit. Throw in magical native humans like skin-walkers and America quickly becomes a complex and contested region... Especially if there was European mythical creatures immigrating to America alongside their human brethren.

So the age of man came to pass in clouds of fire, and their great cities burned from the bombs of their own making. Only scattered survivors remained, scavenging among the wreckage while we work to rebuild the world they have all but destroyed. The poisons of their bombs turned to the waters to death, and the steel of their making radiates a heat from the blast of those bombs still, so many years later.

- Elven Records of the Great War

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Why did you change the name of America? You didn't change any others, and the elven culture that found it still produces names like Christopher Columbus, so why didn't Amerigo Vespucci show up?
    Amerhika is the bastardization of an orc word that means "free land", probably shoulda included that.

And i feel like an idiot for forgetting a few other explorers.

As for the Elves, im gonna muck around with their life expectancy, its still gonna be fairly long, but not the 500+ years DnD has it. Probably 200 max, the average being 120-150.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

You've also really got to be careful when making a setting that's Earth, but with fantasy races. It's far far too easy to slip into Unfortunate Implications. For example, I'm sure you didn't mean it like that, but I could definitely see someone seeing the way you've described Africans as being terribly offensive.

It wouldn't take much for them to say, "Oh sure, the Egyptians, the "civilized" Africans, are human, but all the Sub-Saharan Africans are snarling, inhuman monsters!"

I'll just second Stellar_Magic's suggestion that you keep the races tied to the areas where the mythology that inspired them came from.
    "What is it they say about how nothing can stop the mail?"
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."
    Check out my new Deviantart!

Quote Originally Posted by Kell_tamer
    Horus, I love you so so much you magnificent Egyptian pony god man!
    Previous Avatar by Cuthalion
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horus42 View Post
    You've also really got to be careful when making a setting that's Earth, but with fantasy races. It's far far too easy to slip into Unfortunate Implications. For example, I'm sure you didn't mean it like that, but I could definitely see someone seeing the way you've described Africans as being terribly offensive.

It wouldn't take much for them to say, "Oh sure, the Egyptians, the "civilized" Africans, are human, but all the Sub-Saharan Africans are snarling, inhuman monsters!"

I'll just second Stellar_Magic's suggestion that you keep the races tied to the areas where the mythology that inspired them came from.
    I knew this would be the problem with the "short" version. Ive actually got a crazy amount of alternate history, its just not it any particular order. All the humans that were part of Egypt, which there werent exactly a ton to begin with, either died during the fall of Egypt, went north to the Middle East, or simply intermarried with Bugbears and Goblins. Also Bugbears and Goblins are far from inhuman monsters, Bugbears are exceptional warriors (look at those stats!) while the Goblins are some of the best natural craftsmen around, they also love being part of committees, councils, virtually any body that gets to make decisions, which is why goblins have a tendency to be in charge.

I really need to write more of this stuff down.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I knew this would be the problem with the "short" version. Ive actually got a crazy amount of alternate history, its just not it any particular order. All the humans that were part of Egypt, which there werent exactly a ton to begin with, either died during the fall of Egypt, went north to the Middle East, or simply intermarried with Bugbears and Goblins. Also Bugbears and Goblins are far from inhuman monsters, Bugbears are exceptional warriors (look at those stats!) while the Goblins are some of the best natural craftsmen around, they also love being part of committees, councils, virtually any body that gets to make decisions, which is why goblins have a tendency to be in charge.

I really need to write more of this stuff down.
    Oh, see, that's cool. Like I said, I don't think any of that stuff about your setting, I think it's good. I just got a lot of flack for doing a similar thing once, and just wanted to warn you.
    Last edited by horus42; 2014-07-22 at 12:04 AM.
    "What is it they say about how nothing can stop the mail?"
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."
    Check out my new Deviantart!

Quote Originally Posted by Kell_tamer
    Horus, I love you so so much you magnificent Egyptian pony god man!
    Previous Avatar by Cuthalion
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the heads up, maybe i can barrel roll before it gets me
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Listened to Blackhawk describe this setting in detail last night and I personally found myself enthralled by lots of the details and thought that had gone into it. The 3 things that he said last night, which aren't on here, that I feel like mentioning are.

A) no race in this setting starts off with negatives to a stat, everyone gets some kind of bonus. That way there's much less/no instances of "you're saying the humans here IRL are weak/stupid/ugly/etc!"
    2) humans are not the magic malleable "we fit everywhere!" Trope found in fantasy with humans being the most prolific and able to put 2 to any ability score. Humans as a whole are tough and smart, that's how we've become top of the food chain IRL, that's what's happening here.
    3) I just had to mention this...the races are placed on earth kinda relflect the cultural landscape at that time...gnolls are tribes living in the American Southwest/Mexico...they are Apaches...Gnoll Apaches...goddamn that is a hilarious and HORRIFYING mental image....

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

1. Are halflings going to be in the campaign? What about other subraces like Drow or Aquatic Elves?

2. Are there going to be fantastical monsters in the campaign (Aboleths, Demons, Undead, etc.)?

EDIT: What's in Asia?
    Last edited by ...; 2014-07-26 at 10:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    1. Are halflings going to be in the campaign? What about other subraces like Drow or Aquatic Elves?

2. Are there going to be fantastical monsters in the campaign (Aboleths, Demons, Undead, etc.)?

EDIT: What's in Asia?
    1. No and no, mainly because i think that would be getting a little crazy

2. Also no, effectively its just Earth with several sapient species

And as for Asia im still working on that, as i cant just ignore an entire continent
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

1. No and no, mainly because i think that would be getting a little crazy

2. Also no, effectively its just Earth with several sapient species

And as for Asia im still working on that, as i cant just ignore an entire continent
    Alright, just a few more questions.

1. Any thoughts on the planar cosmology (if there is any)?

2. What about constructs? You could easily make one of the more mechanical monsters from MM2 into a robot or something.

3. Although intelligent monsters will apparently be out of the question, it would be nice if there was some more "interesting" wildlife.

4. In my opinion, ogres would be a nice addition to the goblins and bugbears of africa (possibly trolls, too).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

1. No planar cosmology

2.There are Robots, so porting in one from one of the Monster Manuals would be fine.

3. I may add some unique animals, possibly ones that have evolved after Day 0
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. No planar cosmology

2.There are Robots, so porting in one from one of the Monster Manuals would be fine.

3. I may add some unique animals, possibly ones that have evolved after Day 0
    First thought on creatures: need unique rather than simply extra large regular critters, and something besides humanoid like fishmen. Bearsharks? Too ridiculous and a land shark is basically a Billet...amphibious? Frog sharks? Frogs...with mouths like sharks...the size of cats/smaller dogs...that hunt in swarms....holy crap that's unique and terrifying!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Got another one. Breeds of dogs in the more heavily irradiated areas have slightly mutated into much more aggressively territorial packs. Physically resembling the Mabari from Dragon Age Origins, but the twist is that their bite carries diseases, from decades of having to subsist on prey that is already dead or sick from radiation. Similar to a Komodo Dragons mouth, in that it's not venom but rather a super sewer-mouth. (Like the Final Fantasy Marlboro Bad Breath in bite form)
    Last edited by janusmaxwell; 2014-07-28 at 12:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by janusmaxwell View Post
    First thought on creatures: need unique rather than simply extra large regular critters, and something besides humanoid like fishmen. Bearsharks? Too ridiculous and a land shark is basically a Billet...amphibious? Frog sharks? Frogs...with mouths like sharks...the size of cats/smaller dogs...that hunt in swarms....holy crap that's unique and terrifying!
    First off i am insulted that you think i cant think of something better than "giant vermin", i mean come on this is my twisted mind we're talking about.

Secondly im totally making stats for a "piranha frog", and then obviously the swarm.

Thirdly, im thinking about having hyena's in North Amerhika, the Gnolls brought them with them ages ago, and they have now cross-bred with local wolves for the same length of time, you get something that looks like a hyena, except with the coloration of a wolf and a bit longer snout. Ill probably also have the Yukon Horse not go extinct, maybe a few other animals too.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Well, there could be some of the less intelligent aberrations running around, due to the fact that all the chemicals and radiation and biological weapons (or biological experiments, or fast-mutating bacteria) had some unintended consequences.

EDIT: here's what I'm thinking:

1. Grell/Toschari: bacteria mutating to stay alive in the radiation, mindless or less than 2 intelligence.

2. Oozes: Same story as the Grell, only with amoebas and other things.

3. Formains/Slaadi: Unintelligent creatures descended from normal animals, replace "outsider" with 'aberration," took control of most of the U.S.
    Last edited by ...; 2014-07-29 at 07:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Late 12th century: Famed Dwarven explorer Lief Ericson sets off to colonize Newfoundland. 5 years later a second wave of colonizer a set off, planing to restock with Leif's party. But when they arrive, they find the corpses frozen next to their burn she'll of a ship. The bodies haven't been touched or even decomposed. They are just frozen with arrows sticking out of them. Black arrows.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    Well, there could be some of the less intelligent aberrations running around, due to the fact that all the chemicals and radiation and biological weapons (or biological experiments, or fast-mutating bacteria) had some unintended consequences.

EDIT: here's what I'm thinking:

1. Grell/Toschari: bacteria mutating to stay alive in the radiation, mindless or less than 2 intelligence.

2. Oozes: Same story as the Grell, only with amoebas and other things.

3. Formains/Slaadi: Unintelligent creatures descended from normal animals, replace "outsider" with 'aberration," took control of most of the U.S.
    Hmm... pilfering aberrations from DnD, i like it.

Also the Lief Ericson bit is now part of the timeline.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

I just want to say that I love this campaign setting, and I love helping with it even more. Sorry if I sound like a brown-noser, I just really like the idea.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

If elves and dwarves and goblins exist as the standard races... Then drow and those greyish dwarf things could be morlock like mutants. Hobgoblins are super soldiers created from goblin stock. Trolls and Ogres are just normal races mutated and descended into canabalism, bugbears mabye. Hell, most D&D creatures could be mutants or experiments anyway. Deathclaws from fallout are basically fantasy monsters anyway.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

How are you on unfortunate implications? Because I think you might have something on that front, in regards to this:

Humans: Humans originated from tribes scattered around Europe, some eventually making it down to Egypt. Humans were part of the Kingdom of Egypt as well as the Celtic tribes, the Cossacks, and the Romani, as well as many other peoples. Humans live primarily in Amerhika, Ireland, and Eastern Europe.
    Because between this and the Africa thing, it does look a bit like you might have created an earth where certain races of humans don't exist. Specifically ones that aren't white/caucasian, because by having humans originate in Europe you're strongly implying that particularly ethnic group is going to be well represented. That latter fact also gets a little awkward when you consider that in this setting the native inhabitants of Africa and the Americas aren't human at all.

This might be something you'd want to consider a bit. Because this sort of stuff gets a bit tricky when you're dealing with imagined versions of Earth.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    How are you on unfortunate implications? Because I think you might have something on that front, in regards to this:

Because between this and the Africa thing, it does look a bit like you might have created an earth where certain races of humans don't exist. Specifically ones that aren't white/caucasian, because by having humans originate in Europe you're strongly implying that particularly ethnic group is going to be well represented. That latter fact also gets a little awkward when you consider that in this setting the native inhabitants of Africa and the Americas aren't human at all.

This might be something you'd want to consider a bit. Because this sort of stuff gets a bit tricky when you're dealing with imagined versions of Earth.
    That's...a good point...and will raise some eyebrows. A lot of that isn't coming from a hateful place though. Basically in any fantasy setting, humans are the default "We can do anything in any setting!" and are the most ungodly prolific (re: lots o' bebies) than any other race.

Humans in this setting were basically a hardcore awesome response against that trope: "the average is exactly that, the average. 10's in all stats. All races get bonuses and NO negatives to stats due to the implications. And humans? We got where we are as a society IRL by being smart and tough, not this BS of being able to do "anything" like the Mary Sues of the Universe. Hence humans get bonuses to Int and Con and a some other goodies, just like all the other races."

Seriously though, there were AWESOME implications in all the histories and back stories of the various cultures in this alternate Earth.

America 1800's: The Humans were used as slaves by elves in Europe for so long that the new country founded by humans, with the cooperation of Bugbears Orcs and Goblins, didn't use slaves at all. Hence America never had a civil war (Civilizations that remember and learn from their histories? Shocking!) We still had troubles with the Native populations in the west (Gnolls) but thanks to various efforts including a General Robert E. Lee acting as a diplomat it was realized the Gnolls weren't nearly the savages that the other races were perceiving them as. Specifically the Gnoll practice of eating the hearts of enemies. Brutal and unholy to other races, but to the Gnolls eating the heart of an enemy is a compliment, like "This guy kicked ass! Imma eat his heart and get me some of that awesomeness!"

But then...video cameras and photo's came about. In an effort to help broker peace between their cultures and knowledge among the rest of the world, Amerhikans made a lengthy documentary of the Gnoll tribes, practices and culture. Unfortunately the Amerhikans were not quite as educated as they thought they were...and at the first showing of the documentary to assembled leaders of the Gnoll tribes there were several errors that became readily apparent...like showing a member of the Blackfoot tribe and saying "Here we see a Navajo warrior...".

The documentary crew realized their error and were horrified...and confused. The horror due to the errors they made, and the confusion due to the Gnoll Chieftains laughing their hyena balls off over the course of the documentary. The Gnolls found the stupid errors hilarious and following the film the Gnolls said "No no, you had your fun. Let us have the cameras and WE'LL shoot the thing...you silly buggers "

One Gnoll in particular did an excellent job making a documentary about his tribe...but unfortunately due to pride, he didn't exactly paint the other Gnoll tribes that rivaled his in a flattering light. And thus began the Gnoll "Film Wars" wherein Gnoll tribes would use movies to portray themselves as enlightened cultured people, and all other tribes as bloodthirsty brutal savages. (These films would come in VERY handy during WW1 and WW2)

All that? That's stuff BlackHawk came up with already and I found it F---ing awesome, even with everything else. Like digging though a pile of gold nuggets and finding a ruby.

Beast and creature ideas: Mutations with various prey species are now apparent due to the sudden rise/influx of deadlier mutated predators. Certain species of cats are now capable of shifting fur color from dark greens to greys and black and brown as a way to blend into their environment. All herd animals have had a breeding mutation boom and now it's considered common for goats/cows/sheep to birth twins and triplets. I'm thinking about birds and bugs now...bugs there has to be something besides simply becoming HUGE, and birds are so sensitive to atmospheric changes (canaries in mines, recent mass bird deaths due to global warming/pollution) that either birds as a whole have almost/entirely gone extinct...or maybe they've had the greatest mutational shift out of any other species...

....Oh...my god...I just got it...The Crow King...old comic and supposedly native American tale (Probably not that last bit) about a gigantic crow that enacted bloody vengeance on humans who kill crows. Specifically female crows that the Crow King had nested with...kill one of his harem and you and your entire family will get proper f---ed.
    Last edited by janusmaxwell; 2014-07-31 at 07:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by janusmaxwell View Post
    -snip-
    America 1800's: The Humans were used as slaves by elves in Europe for so long that the new country founded by humans, with the cooperation of Bugbears Orcs and Goblins, didn't use slaves at all. Hence America never had a civil war (Civilizations that remember and learn from their histories? Shocking!) We still had troubles with the Native populations in the west (Gnolls) but thanks to various efforts including a General Robert E. Lee acting as a diplomat it was realized the Gnolls weren't nearly the savages that the other races were perceiving them as. Specifically the Gnoll practice of eating the hearts of enemies. Brutal and unholy to other races, but to the Gnolls eating the heart of an enemy is a compliment, like "This guy kicked ass! Imma eat his heart and get me some of that awesomeness!"
    Aw, but I needed that heart for my Cadaver Golem! How can I give it a rage ability now?

But seriously, we need some ideas for Asia. I'm on this.

1. A lost expedition of elves/dwarves/humans have settled, due to the fact that they have no way to communicate with their brethren in Europe. Communications reestablish in the early 1900s, but the explorer's descendants grew up with this land and don't want to leave. you'll need to change the timeline a bit for this one, though.

2. The same expedition went to Asia, but fell prey to a sentient virus that takes control of the host's mind. Eventually, this virus evolved to coexist with the humanoids (and by "coexist" I mean "virus automatically absorbs consciousness into hive mind after infection"). the virus now normally replicates through increasing pregnancy times/speed in humanoids and infecting the child, although it can spread in other ways. No uninfected humanoid knows the secrets of Asia, and the virus has took steps to keep its secret and not randomly infect others. Currently, the virus is still safe from the bombs, even though it has suffered an amazing loss of hosts. The main goal for the virus is to infect as many as it can to get some influence again. This will be hard, since, as you may remember, viruses are microscopic. As mentioned before, the virus has a hive mind that lets it commune with all other members of the hive mind across the universe.

Obviously, the second suggestion is the more outlandish, so you may not use any of these. If not, I'm taking the second for my own horror campaign.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post

Theres those freaking unfortunate implications again. While humans originated in Europe, they did move into parts of Africa and the Middle East, so those peoples are represented...... huh, this lack of races in Asia extends to humans too apparently. I really need to fix that.

And as for non-humans on the rest of Earth.... i just figured that everyone should get a nice chunk of the globe to themselves, except humans you'll note.

Heres my first idea for the primary race in Asia, they are Elves and Dwarves that have been interbreeding for so long they have become a stand alone race.

Edit: Maybe i should just put a big disclaimer that says "Not meant to offend, for entertainment purposes only", i also feel i should note that all the races i included i happen to think are awesome for one reason or another.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2014-07-31 at 08:08 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

So will WW1 and 2 be race vs race? Or will it be mixed vs mixed? Or does it even happen close enough to the real world version enough to warrant being called as such?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jakodee View Post
    So will WW1 and 2 be race vs race? Or will it be mixed vs mixed? Or does it even happen close enough to the real world version enough to warrant being called as such?
    Can't say myself except for the part where Hitler was enacting his final solution against elves and half-elves.

Plus side was that operation Valkyrie was a huge success and killed Hitler along with his top sycophants. Leaving the leaders who weren't genocidal maniacs
    Last edited by janusmaxwell; 2014-08-01 at 01:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jakodee View Post
    Its not Race v. Race, the races arent really united along racial lines. As far as sides go WWI is identical and WWII goes down quite differently as i put in the timeline.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

So, are you going to use my Asian virus idea or can I have it all to myself?

Please let it be the latter, please?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Oh go nuts with that, its cool so i still might use it for an adventure though
    Show