New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Looking for a word

If someone who can eat anything they like is said to be (or have) a hollow leg, and if someone who refuses to drink alcoholic beverages is a teetotaler, what do you call someone who can drink anything they like and only be minimally effected? I know there's a word for it, but I haven't been able to figure it out for the past 2 days.

As always, thanks for any and all help!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a word

I think heavyweight, as opposed to a lightweight (who gets drunk very fast on not much)?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by NRSASD
    …what do you call someone who can drink anything they like and only be minimally effected?
    Legolas.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A Liar, probably. Some people can hold their drink better than others, for a variety of reasons, but theyre still going to be affected, by a hangover if nothing else.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I think heavyweight, as opposed to a lightweight (who gets drunk very fast on not much)?
    This is what I've heard.

In Japanese they call such a person a colander, which I find appropriate and hilarious. Just passes right through them!
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hollow-legs.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    A Liar, probably. Some people can hold their drink better than others, for a variety of reasons, but theyre still going to be affected, by a hangover if nothing else.
    Yeah, neither of this true. Body weight, how much you've eaten and drank during the day all factor how much alcohol it takes to start showing the effects. Also, not everyone gets hangovers and not everyone gets them as bad. Body chemistry is a funny thing after all. Drinking water alongside drinking alcohol also helps avoid a hangover.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Yeah, neither of this true. Body weight, how much you've eaten and drank during the day all factor how much alcohol it takes to start showing the effects. Also, not everyone gets hangovers and not everyone gets them as bad. Body chemistry is a funny thing after all. Drinking water alongside drinking alcohol also helps avoid a hangover.
    IIRC eating or drinking water while drinking alcohol also slow absorption of alcohol or something in that line? So there's a difference between two people who drink two glass of beer in two hours, where one drink two glasses of beer straight, then another glass of beer, while the other person drink one glass of beer slowly in the time of one hour in between eating something.

Also genetic can do funny thing as well. People of Asian descent can have the alcohol flush, for example where their skin got red flush quickly after drinking alcohol because their body turn alcohol into acetadelhyde quickly. Not sure if that makes people drunk easier or faster, just example how genetic can do weird things with alcohol.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

Alcoholic?

Northern?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Hollow-legs.
    This. I've heard the term applied to drinking, and not eating as the OP suggests. In my lexicon, "he has a hollow leg" means "he drinks like it's nothing."

Another phrase I've heard is "drinks like a fish," which, while also applying to non-alcoholic drinks (or water), is frequently applied to alcohol. But that doesn't necessarily mean unaffected by drink.

If in doubt, though, heavyweight works.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Oxford alumnus? (my sister quipped that you should be given a gift certificate for a new liver upon being accepted at Oxford)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Oxford alumnus? (my sister quipped that you should be given a gift certificate for a new liver upon being accepted at Oxford)
    Hey, that one reminds me. Something something cast-iron liver something?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    something tells me that this is not true either.

else you are saying that somebody out there in the world is totally able to drink like thousands of gallons of moonshine and come out having no effect at all from intoxication
    {scrubbed} One cannot just endlessly drink alcoholic beverages and not have any detrimental effects.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2017-10-25 at 03:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This. I've heard the term applied to drinking, and not eating as the OP suggests. In my lexicon, "he has a hollow leg" means "he drinks like it's nothing."

Another phrase I've heard is "drinks like a fish," which, while also applying to non-alcoholic drinks (or water), is frequently applied to alcohol. But that doesn't necessarily mean unaffected by drink.

If in doubt, though, heavyweight works.
    I've only heard hollow legs in reference to eating, specifically someone who's skinny but can eat a lot - i.e. that's where they can pack the food in. I guess it could be a regional variation?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Hey, that one reminds me. Something something cast-iron liver something?
    I can't think I've heard of that, but cast-iron stomach means someone who can eat gnarly food without it affecting them and I think I've heard that used for heavy drinking too. "Having a cast-iron liver" makes sense as something along those lines.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    I've only heard hollow legs in reference to eating, specifically someone who's skinny but can eat a lot - i.e. that's where they can pack the food in. I guess it could be a regional variation?
    I've only heard it in relation to drinking, to be honest.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Straight up immunity doesn't exist, but people who can shrug off a lot before visible effects come up* absolutely exist. Some of it is size, some of it is habits (e.g. tending to drink on a full stomach, alternating with water), and a lot of it quirks of biochemistry regarding variable concentrations of various enzymes.

*Assuming they don't do something stupid to make them more noticeable, e.g. drive.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post

else you are saying that somebody out there in the world is totally able to drink like thousands of gallons of moonshine and come out having no effect at all from intoxication
    {scrubbed} One cannot just endlessly drink alcoholic beverages and not have any detrimental effects.
    minimally affected =/= not have any detrimental effect. It's just similar to how some people can eat more than other people, like what the OP mention. Also, before more people complain, "minimally affected" here is just english figure of speech. Or are people also lying when they say they can eat more food than other people without feeling bloated or full, as in the equivalent thing mentioned in the OP?
    Last edited by Fri; 2017-10-25 at 09:28 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well, when you're arguing against something I never said you're probably right.

I'm not saying that. You're saying I'm saying that. Which I'm not. That's probably where the problem is.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-10-26 at 03:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

A braggard and a drunk.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Hmmm... After a bit of research, I think heavyweight or hollow leg are the closest words to what I'm looking for, but I coulda sworn there's a more precise word. Turns out hollow leg means you can eat copious amounts of food or drink tons of alcohol and not be affected. Drinking like a fish or holding one's liquor are both good phrases, but I thought there was one word that sums that up. Ah well. Thanks to everyone who's helped out so far!

Spoiler: Legolas
    Show
    I love that movie

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

DruidGirl

German has a word for it: trinkfest.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Chalk me up as another who's only ever heard hollow legs in relation to alcohol.

It's funny how we have dozens of synonyms for lightweight but hardly any opposites. The best (and only) ones I can think of are X has a liver of steel and X can hold their drink - neither of which are adjectives.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sot? Bulletproof liver? Professional drinker?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's more or less obsolete now, but they used to be called lushes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorath View Post
    It's more or less obsolete now, but they used to be called lushes.
    A lush was someone who drank heavily and often -- a drunkard, in slightly more modern vocabulary -- but "lush" says absolutely nothing about the capacity to not appear sloshed.