New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Marvel's Avengers Infinity War - Teaser Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfuNTqbHE8

Here comes the teaser trailer.
    I'm hyped. The only thing I fear for, is the effectiveness of putting so many fan favourites in a single movie. Will it be satisfying to see our favourite heroes if the greatest part of them will have around five minutes of screentime each?
    Also, I am sure this is still mid-production, but Thanos doesn't really look good. Too much CGI-y.

Discuss :D
    Last edited by Jan Mattys; 2017-11-29 at 12:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Marvel's Avengers Infinity War - Teaser Trailer

Finally an Avengers movie that's really good (?)

I dig this Thanos, despite his pure CGIness
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

And now my watch begins.

6 months of (likely eventually futile) attempting to avoid spoilers.

Sigh. Oh well.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Who's the blonde woman that gets face-time at 0:25 and 1:30? Is that supposed to be Captain Marvel?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-11-29 at 12:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Who's the blonde woman that gets face-time at 0:25 and 1:30? Is that supposed to be Captain Marvel?
    Is that supposed to be a joke? I think it's just the Widow's new look. Isn't she Scarlett Johansson?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Black Widow dyed her hair, for some reason.

So it looks like this movie will be about Thanos getting each of the Infinity Stones, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Infinity Wars Pt 2 will be their interpretation of the actual Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

Looks like a lot of characters, could make the movie feel too crowded if they do it wrong. But of all the directors for the Marvel movies thus far, the Russo's are the ones I think have the best shot of doing it right.

7. - Top - End - #7

PaladinGuy

Also, bearded Cap is badass.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Mattys View Post
    Is that supposed to be a joke? I think it's just the Widow's new look. Isn't she Scarlett Johansson?
    It wasn't a joke. I honestly didn't recognize her without the red hair. Which gets extra weird when you know she's a blonde IRL.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-11-29 at 12:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post

So it looks like this movie will be about Thanos getting each of the Infinity Stones, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Infinity Wars Pt 2 will be their interpretation of the actual Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

Looks like a lot of characters, could make the movie feel too crowded if they do it wrong. But of all the directors for the Marvel movies thus far, the Russo's are the ones I think have the best shot of doing it right.
    I suspect there are going to be a lot of casualties. Vision for example is probably going to bite it, or come close to it, on account of having an Infinity Stone in his head.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If there are casualties, I would think that any characters that die will be those who have run their arc in solo movies that they can afford to end ghat source oc revenue.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    If there are casualties, I would think that any characters that die will be those who have run their arc in solo movies that they can afford to end ghat source oc revenue.
    That's only like three characters though: Thor, Iron Man and Captain America. I'm not saying those guys are necessarily safe (indeed, it seems likely that at least one of Iron Man and Cap are going down in either part 1 or 2), but even if all of them get taken out, that's not doing much to thin down the cast at all.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Marvel hasn't been shy about killing characters...and bringing them right back. So I don't doubt they can kill whoever they think will make things dramatic and still bring them back in time for their solo movies.

I do expect either Cap or Tony to die though. With one of them sacrificing themselves for the other.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Mattys View Post
    So in universe she has gone from a Brunette, to a Red, to a Blonde, all to the magical properties of Hair Dye?

Is the different hair color supposed to represent where they are in the Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and 4 whatever sequence with the Avengers movie being the transition piece?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That's only like three characters though: Thor, Iron Man and Captain America. I'm not saying those guys are necessarily safe (indeed, it seems likely that at least one of Iron Man and Cap are going down in either part 1 or 2), but even if all of them get taken out, that's not doing much to thin down the cast at all.
    Spoiler: on character death
    Show

Well, I'm pretty sure Cap is going to die either this movie or next. His contract is over, and Steve has a pretty amazing last stand against Thanos in the comics that would be a pretty perfect end to the character. It also has Bucky and Sam ready in the wings to take up the mantle.

But Keltest is right, even if they kill off half the cast in the first 10 minutes, we still have about 10 heroes left (I didn't actually count). And they're not going to actually kill them off in the first 10 minutes. Having a character death feel dramatically fulfilling takes up its own time as well.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Show

Well, I'm pretty sure Cap is going to die either this movie or next. His contract is over, and Steve has a pretty amazing last stand against Thanos in the comics that would be a pretty perfect end to the character. It also has Bucky and Sam ready in the wings to take up the mantle.

But Keltest is right, even if they kill off half the cast in the first 10 minutes, we still have about 10 heroes left (I didn't actually count). And they're not going to actually kill them off in the first 10 minutes. Having a character death feel dramatically fulfilling takes up its own time as well.
    That is a fair point about Marvel tradition of bringing characters back. I hope they go "similar role, different title" with a different actor taking over. I personally feel like switching characters like that works better for a continued movie universe as cohesive as Marvel MCU.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show

If anything, I think you undershot it a little. Even if we only count the big names who starred in a movie we end up with more than 20. Add in people like Doctor Strange's sidekick who's name I cant remember and the cast grows even further.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Is this going to be a 2 parter, or self contained? It's a lot harder for me to get excited about the story if it's not going to resolve for another 2 or 3 years.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I suspect there are going to be a lot of casualties. Vision for example is probably going to bite it, or come close to it, on account of having an Infinity Stone in his head.
    I don't know, that would feel more believable to me if he had a longer track record. Vision will lose his stone, but that meaningfully killing him seems unlikely considering he's only gotten two film appearances. At worst he gets rebooted back into a new body/Jarvis or becomes less powerful sans the stone. Furthermore, Paul Bettany has dropped that he's at least supposed to appear in the next Avenger's film.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Finally an Avengers movie that's really good (?)

I dig this Thanos, despite his pure CGIness
    *Finally*?!?

The first team up movie has been such a success it traumatized the studios so deeply they are trying desperately to catch lightning in a bottle a second time for the past 5 years and crashing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Is this going to be a 2 parter, or self contained? It's a lot harder for me to get excited about the story if it's not going to resolve for another 2 or 3 years.
    2 parter

Avengers 3 Infinity War and
    Avengers 4 (used to be called Infinity War part 2 but they dropped the subtitle name and they have not announced the follow up name.)

Avengers 3 comes out summer 2018 (currently May 4, 2018)
    Avengers 4 comes out summer 2019 (currently May 3, 2019) aka 1 year later.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2017-11-29 at 03:02 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

21. - Top - End - #21

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    *Finally*?!?

The first team up movie has been such a success it traumatized the studios so deeply they are trying desperately to catch lightning in a bottle a second time for the past 5 years and crashing.
    The Avengers is maximally dumb and indulgent and nobody in it talks like a human being they all talk in 100% Whedonisms.

It doesn't necessarily matter because it was riding on the back of some good movies which established at least who the main characters were and what they wanted in the public consciousness, but it really is the ultimate dumb popcorn movie and perfectly enjoyable on those terms.

Age of Ultron was ehhhhhh.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably because of her fugitive status at the end of Civil War. 21st century facial recognition technology is no match for a good dye job.

Also doubles as a shout-out to Yelena.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

At this point, I'm hoping they actually do something novel and DON'T kill half the cast off. Because that's so overdone now...

Heck, I'd be quite happy if they killed no-one off, though I wouldn't lay odds on it.

But one noble sarifice should be all a good story actually needs anyway, since more deaths =/= more impact.

Spoiler: Civl War, for the sake of argumement
    Show
    I tell you this, my enjoyment of Civil War jumped up three notches when I realised Rhodey wasn't going to cark it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

It looks kind of bland. Definitely not as good as the BP trailer. I assume we will get a better trailer down the line.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

They're making it self-contained. Once the Russo brothers took over they expressed that while the initial concept for these was a 2-parter when Disney released their production schedule what they ended up with was two distinct stories and treating them as though they were a single narrative was giving a false impression of their work.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

So the Guardians of the Galaxy are finally going to connect with the rest of the MCU? Should be interesting. Also confusing for the Avengers, what with the Avenger most knowledgeable about the galaxy at large being the one shown saying "who the hell are you guys?"
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

I don't really see any reason anyone who isn't from Xandar or that planet with the gold people should know who they are though. They're honestly less "Guardians of the galaxy" and more "Random people who happened to be in the right place at the right time once or twice."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really see any reason anyone who isn't from Xandar or that planet with the gold people should know who they are though. They're honestly less "Guardians of the galaxy" and more "Random people who happened to be in the right place at the right time once or twice."
    Xandar isn't just Xandar though, it's clearly a political hub for a vast array of worlds. Also, Ronan wasn't just threatening Xandar, he was a existential threat to non-Kree societies galaxy-wide before getting the Infinity Stone raised him from a frightening prospect to pack-your-bag-and-leave-now level.

Besides that, they Guardians have reasonably been active when off camera. Just as the Avengers were between The Avengers and Age of Ultron, and you can tell by their practiced behaviour and interactions rather than specifically going over what.

29. - Top - End - #29

In fact, Mary Poppins makes a point that killinh the GotG would make them Persona Non Gratta pretty much everywhere.

The GotG are galactic heroes.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Xandar isn't just Xandar though, it's clearly a political hub for a vast array of worlds. Also, Ronan wasn't just threatening Xandar, he was a existential threat to non-Kree societies galaxy-wide before getting the Infinity Stone raised him from a frightening prospect to pack-your-bag-and-leave-now level.

Besides that, they Guardians have reasonably been active when off camera. Just as the Avengers were between The Avengers and Age of Ultron, and you can tell by their practiced behaviour and interactions rather than specifically going over what.
    I got the impression that they're active doing odd jobs and stuff. Trying to make money. I never got the impression that they should be household names across the galaxy like the Avengers would be on Earth.