New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: TES: Online.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default TES: Online.

Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBkY...feature=relmfu

I was all for it right up until around 4:25 when it mentioned classes. I just... It doesn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game to me if you have to shoe horn your character into a class, ya know? That was the biggest aspect of any TES game for me. Being able to create almost any concept you could think up.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: TES: Online.

To be 100% fair, Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls game not to have a class system. In previous entries, class determined how fast skills level up and what value you start with in each skill: Mages start the game better at magic than Pilgrims do, but a Pilgrim can learn all the same spells a Mage can, it'll just take them longer. This pre-Skyrim idea of classes very well could have been what they meant.

That said, I'm very cynical about this whole thing and would not be surprised in the slightest if they had a WoW-style class system, talent trees and all.

To be honest, watching the video, the whole thing just reminds me of Fable, but with a focus on raiding and gimmicky PVP war sequences (that I guarantee will be scripted, which sucks just about the only interesting thing this game could have brought to the MMO market off the table). This is not a good thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Not interested in the slightest. Every bit of Lore they have talked about so far just seems horribly out of place. I'm looking at you, Dunmer-Argonian alliance.

Plus, you know. I don't want to have my memories of the Elder Scrolls spoiled by twelve year olds shouting insults in chatspeak.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-11-14 at 04:16 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Not interested in the slightest. Every bit of Lore they have talked about so far just seems horribly out of place. I'm looking at you, Dunmer-Argonian alliance.
    Again, to be fair, as much as the Dunmer-Argonian-Nord alliance bothers me, any alliance the Dunmer are part of would be out of place. Morrowind doesn't really get along with anybody. Especially themselves.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

I do like the classless system of Skyrim. It would have beeen interesting to see that implimented in the TES Online MMO.
    In general I shy away from MMOs, prefering to play online games where I can interact with just a small group of people (preferably people I know).
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBkY...feature=relmfu

I was all for it right up until around 4:25 when it mentioned classes. I just... It doesn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game to me if you have to shoe horn your character into a class, ya know? That was the biggest aspect of any TES game for me. Being able to create almost any concept you could think up.
    From what I understand yes there will be different classes to choose from but you will still have a good amount of freedom to personalize it.
    For example if you choose a cleric like base class you can make it into a lot of different things:
    -A Paladin like class with a 2h sword heavy armor and a few healing spells
    -A standard cleric with tons of healing, sword and board and heavy armor
    -A leather armor wearing dual dagger thief with healing spells
    etc

So if my understanding of the system is correct then it actually is a very good compromise between being able to balance it for pvp and being able to create the character you want.

As for the pvp system itself, it sounds very much like daoc actually, I donīt get what you mean by scripted, you will have the three warbands (virtual servers in the megaserver, I think?) fight against each other in the central rvr zone which is an instance but a persistent one.

I personally, after initially being completely against teso and wanting nothing to do with it whatsoever, am actually pretty psyched about it now after hearing what they want to do with the game.

The question remains if they can deliver all that they promise in their videos ^^

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    As for the pvp system itself, it sounds very much like daoc actually, I donīt get what you mean by scripted, you will have the three warbands (virtual servers in the megaserver, I think?) fight against each other in the central rvr zone which is an instance but a persistent one.
    By "scripted" I mean it works like a two-way version of the Spartan Ops mode from Halo 4, if you've ever played that. A set of corridors, events, and sub-missions for the players that always happens exactly the same way every battle. If the defenders could place and design their own fortifications, and the attackers had to actually work together to form a strategy to get through them, that might actually be interesting. In the "scripted" way I'm imagining (which I admit is based on nothing but gut feeling) I just don't see how anyone could find it interesting on the second playthrough, which is exactly the problem Spartan Ops has.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm I see, though I donīt think it will be that way tbh, we donīt have specifics yet though one of the lead devs from daoc is in the team...

so I very much think it will be very similar to daocs rvr system:

-One giant instanced zone with keeps and towers on it that can be conquered and claimed
    -the zone is instanced but persistent

Or if you donīt know daoc think of it as similar to the guildwars 2 system though with larger maps.

The warbands that they talk about I think are just virtual servers to control the maximum population being able to join the same instance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I will be very dissappointed if they make this another WoW clone.

Note to Developers: If we want WoW, we'll play WoW. It's got a huge community, 6 years of post-development, and more content than anything you can do at Launch. If you want our business? Do something different.