New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1347
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Silviya, that is called "Density Control", and is a switch for pressure sensitivity in your drawing program of choice. I have it usually off, unless i want to get some non-uniform gradients, shading and/or texture going. Alternatively it is also useful in emulating an actual pencil if you set it up correctly. (The brush size then decides how smooth things are. The bigger the smoother. Or you can say "fukkit" and blurr the color/shading layer(s).)

Both are done with 4 and 8px pens and Density selectively enabled.
    There's benefits to both methods, relating to mutability and style. Kinda depends on what you're going for, really.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Ask away. I love suggestions. Worst case is I don't draw it.

On that note, if you're requesting, be specific, be detailed and be interesting.
    That's good to know, because I intended to request something for Dragon Month, but I tend to feel kind of guilty for asking for something without being able to offer anything in return.

Anyway, my feelings of inadequacy aside, I would be extremely curious to see your take on Dexam Draconis. Spoilered for semi-relevance:

Spoiler
    Show

Here are some links to reference pics:

"Dexam & April" by Maritza Campos (commission)
    "Dexam & TinySPark" by SPark
    "The Gentledragon" by Trini

Here is a little information on the character: Dexam Draconis is a Black Opal Dragon, a rare sub-species of the Gem Dragon family. He originally hails from a planet where humanoids are unheard of, and as such finds them utterly fascinating. Being of the Gem Dragon family he is naturally Psionic, though most of his powers tend to be related to randomly affecting the "luck" of those around him or to altering his own physiology: he can range in size from that of a large lizard to over 80' long from nose-horn to tail tip; has the ability to absorb alien (non-dragon) biologies for use by his own body; and even though he uses the pronoun "he", gender is something that is entirely up to "his" current whim. His species also posses innate weather-control powers, leading him to believe that members of his family have visited Earth in the past, giving rise to such legends as those of Rainbow Serpents and the Wagyl.

Like most dragons he is fascinated by shiny things (gemstones in particular), and has a driving need to hoard as much as he can. His personality is as variable and changing as the colours of his scales, ranging from mischevious to serious, although he more often tends to be easy-going, a trickster, flirtatious, humourous, and at times downright perverted (but also unfailingly polite). For a creature than can (and will) eat and digest anything (up to and including at one point a small nuclear warhead... it's better if you don't ask), he tends to be somewhat snobbish when it comes to food and drink, and considers himself to be a critical expert in the matter of all things gastronomical.

Given this information, I'm extremely curious to see what you come up with.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    Sorry it took me forever to reply to this, real life had been a little crazy lately (Translation: I tried to write half of the first draft of my current novel in five days. I succeeded, but needed to catch up on a lot of sleep afterwards).
    Ah! Writing progress! Jealous!

For some reason, it's kind of tricky to describe the method that I use for blending, probably because I've used it so much. However, I did find this tutorial, which describes the blending method I use pretty well. The one thing that I do differently that that tutorial is that my brush setting are less fancy. Just a normal round brush, or maybe a textured brush, set to 100% opacity and maybe 75% hardness, depending on how smooth I want to make things, and then checking the little box that makes the color lighter the less you press down on the tablet. That and having a keyboard command for the eyedropper tool are all you really need.
    Baller, I'll look over this when I have time.

I also found this when I was looking for the other tutorial. I know that you don't use traditional art that much anymore, but that tutorial was amazingly helpful for me, so you might find it helpful if you ever start doing more traditional art.
    Seen it before, but I'll review it when I have time.

I really like the dragon from day 283. It's a very creepy silhouette, and I like how you blended the eye into the face a bit, which makes it look kind of like it's glowing. That's not a dragon I'd ever want to meet.
    Thanks! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Silviya, that is called "Density Control", and is a switch for pressure sensitivity in your drawing program of choice. I have it usually off, unless i want to get some non-uniform gradients, shading and/or texture going. Alternatively it is also useful in emulating an actual pencil if you set it up correctly. (The brush size then decides how smooth things are. The bigger the smoother. Or you can say "fukkit" and blurr the color/shading layer(s).)

Both are done with 4 and 8px pens and Density selectively enabled.
    There's benefits to both methods, relating to mutability and style. Kinda depends on what you're going for, really.
    Ohhhh. What does '3x shading layer' and 'shine' mean? Are those photoshop things?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    That's good to know, because I intended to request something for Dragon Month, but I tend to feel kind of guilty for asking for something without being able to offer anything in return.

Anyway, my feelings of inadequacy aside, I would be extremely curious to see your take on Dexam Draconis. Spoilered for semi-relevance:

Spoiler
    Show

Here are some links to reference pics:

"Dexam & April" by Maritza Campos (commission)
    "Dexam & TinySPark" by SPark
    "The Gentledragon" by Trini

Here is a little information on the character: Dexam Draconis is a Black Opal Dragon, a rare sub-species of the Gem Dragon family. He originally hails from a planet where humanoids are unheard of, and as such finds them utterly fascinating. Being of the Gem Dragon family he is naturally Psionic, though most of his powers tend to be related to randomly affecting the "luck" of those around him or to altering his own physiology: he can range in size from that of a large lizard to over 80' long from nose-horn to tail tip; has the ability to absorb alien (non-dragon) biologies for use by his own body; and even though he uses the pronoun "he", gender is something that is entirely up to "his" current whim. His species also posses innate weather-control powers, leading him to believe that members of his family have visited Earth in the past, giving rise to such legends as those of Rainbow Serpents and the Wagyl.

Like most dragons he is fascinated by shiny things (gemstones in particular), and has a driving need to hoard as much as he can. His personality is as variable and changing as the colours of his scales, ranging from mischevious to serious, although he more often tends to be easy-going, a trickster, flirtatious, humourous, and at times downright perverted (but also unfailingly polite). For a creature than can (and will) eat and digest anything (up to and including at one point a small nuclear warhead... it's better if you don't ask), he tends to be somewhat snobbish when it comes to food and drink, and considers himself to be a critical expert in the matter of all things gastronomical.

Given this information, I'm extremely curious to see what you come up with.
    Day 285: Dragon Month #27

"I could tell you stories about the Opal Dragon, but he's more than capable of telling you all about himself."

[Sorry this is super rushed, schedule's hit a brief spike of insanity. Remind me a few weeks down the road and I'll hopefully find a day to do a better picture. I'll try to do rebel's piece tomorrow but I'll probably be on P&P for that one]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1 hour
    Music: The Moon Rises
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-27 at 02:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ettin in the Playground

Ohhhh. What does '3x shading layer' and 'shine' mean? Are those photoshop things?
    No, those are layer things.

3 layers of black shading at 25% transparency put on top of each other, plus one layer of white blotches on top, heavily blurred. (Makes for some nice n cheap shine/glow effect.)
    Each of the shading layers is solid, except at the edge where they go over into the layer below them, which is where the "selective" density control is done.
    Each layer can be turned up, percent-wise to intensify the shading and it's fairly easy to do, but doesn't quite yield the same quality of results that messing with the color layer directly would. Less degrees of shades, essentially. The upside is that you can shade a lot of different colored areas in one go for cheap.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 285: Dragon Month #27

"I could tell you stories about the Opal Dragon, but he's more than capable of telling you all about himself."

[Sorry this is super rushed, schedule's hit a brief spike of insanity. Remind me a few weeks down the road and I'll hopefully find a day to do a better picture. I'll try to do rebel's piece tomorrow but I'll probably be on P&P for that one]

8< --snip-->8

Music: The Moon Rises
    I... wasn't expecting that quite so soon. Yay! *saved!*

I must say that I love the expression you've done there. It brings to mind something, but for the life of me I can't think what exactly.

The only minor nitpick on the "super rush" job is the talon under the chin looks a little odd. A future challenge, perhaps - practice drawing nothing but hands? I've heard it said that hands are hard to draw, so it could be a worthwhile exercise.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Banned

Lightbulb Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Okay, I give. I have a request for dragon month; my character in Pokonic's dragon PbP, Ophiokasha.

[Character Sheet]
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Ophiokasha, the Stars Which Have Fallen
    Body: *Acid blood, Caustic Maw (+5 bite)
    Head: Snakish (+5 evil, intimidate, charisma)
    Horns: Tusks Fangs (+5 Toughness, -15 Charisma, +4 damage from bite)
    Claws: *No Claws (-5 intimidate)
    Scale Color: midnight black, with motes of of silver-blue-white where the scales have worn away, reminiscent of a starry night. (+5 evil/charisma)
    Body length:*Very Long (+10 toughness, -15 agility)
    Tail: Bladed (+5 agility, intimidate, damage, -10 strength)
    Breath: Life (-20 evil)

Strength: 50-5-10 = 35
    Agility: 50-5-15+5 = 35
    Intelligence: 50+10 = 60
    Toughness: 50+10+5+10 = 75
    Charisma: 50+5+5-15+20+5 = 70
    Evilness : 50+5+10+10-20+5 = 60
    Intimidation: 50+5-5 = 50

Abilities are 0-100, with 20 being peak performance for average human. Exceptional humanoids can hit 30.

-

Ophiokasha is a fallen paradigm from the celestial spheres. Once she was a set of stars who predicted the rise and fall of kings and queens, the shift of favor from one nation or ideology to another; now she is but lithe flesh and sinister intent. Cast from the heavens for her hubris when she began to play favorites amongst the courts of the gods, Ophiokasha yearns for power, manipulation, intrigue, and at her heart to show up all the other would-be knock offs of the true draconic heritage.

There are those who say she is insane. There are those who say she has no right to claim the blood of high dragons, being such a malformed serpent.
    They all end up in her gullet before they can spread such terrible, nasty rumors about her, of course.

Conniving, she is more likely to cling to rocks and skitter like a skink than walk proudly (unless someone is looking). Her vicious, noxious bite, her demeanor, and her ability to heal the most grievous of wounds are all bargaining chips in her play to power.

What she hasn't accounted for is the limits of the flesh; that draconic instincts to breed, hoard and expand will eventually overpower her high minded ideals.

She is a serpent bodied dragon, though with proportional wings (giving her a very cross or + silhouette when viewed from below in flight). Her claws are listed as "none", but are instead stubby, and come to a very obtuse point. She can draw fine lines if given ink, and claw at stone or hardwood to climb (which is why they remains so dull) but crushes rather pierces.

Her head eludes me. It is snakelike, but still obviously draconic. She has some ornamentation, but I don't know what. Probably a frill, but it would be something at home on a swimmer and a snake. Her mouth is beakish, a cross between a python and the eels from the little mermaid (disney) without the underbite. Her fangs are a point of interest; they don't interfere with closing her mouth or speaking, even though they are almost as long as her head. They are freely mobile, as much like a viper's fangs as a spider's, and she occasionally uses them as pedipalpi, tapping them on things in irritation.

Her scales are faceted somewhat; shield shaped, but the center raises slightly above the edges, and she has frequent, stochastic specks of white amongst the deep black-blue, giving her the look of a starry night sky. She is long, freakishly so. If the average adult dragon length is 15 meters, she is almost 45 approaching around 150 of the imperial foot. Her tail ends in a long arrowhead shaped blade of bone, concave on one side so it has a claw like or sickle-esque profile.

Her eyes and face have the necessary underlying musculature to be highly mobile and expressive, despite the scales. The larger ones overlap and Pull, and the scales get much smaller around finer details.

Pose/action is indeterminate; do as you please. Her nature is duplicitous, but proud to the point of honorable. She is a strange character. I cannot figure her out, as I'm not sure to handle someone whose ideal self is such a jerk. When dealing with other figures, she works psychological cues, such as hiding behind things and slinking her head low as a show of inferiority, or wrapping around the terrain, surrounding the person in a conspiratorial manner.

Whatcha think? That enough detail to work with?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-02-27 at 05:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1027

No, those are layer things.

3 layers of black shading at 25% transparency put on top of each other, plus one layer of white blotches on top, heavily blurred. (Makes for some nice n cheap shine/glow effect.)
    Each of the shading layers is solid, except at the edge where they go over into the layer below them, which is where the "selective" density control is done.
    Each layer can be turned up, percent-wise to intensify the shading and it's fairly easy to do, but doesn't quite yield the same quality of results that messing with the color layer directly would. Less degrees of shades, essentially. The upside is that you can shade a lot of different colored areas in one go for cheap.
    Ooooo. I'll experiment with this more later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    I... wasn't expecting that quite so soon. Yay! *saved!*

I must say that I love the expression you've done there. It brings to mind something, but for the life of me I can't think what exactly.

The only minor nitpick on the "super rush" job is the talon under the chin looks a little odd. A future challenge, perhaps - practice drawing nothing but hands? I've heard it said that hands are hard to draw, so it could be a worthwhile exercise.
    Ahahahhaha. Hands. Goddamn hands. Yes, more practise can always be done on hands.

Glad it works for you!

Whatcha think? That enough detail to work with?
    I swear, you people all waited for the moment when I was most busy at the very tail end of Dragon Month to load me up with requests.

It's not bad, no sweat off my back, but it means that these coincide with days when I'm wrecked and busy from school and have only minimal time for drawing. I'll try to come back to some of these requests on days when I've got more free time (Dexam in particular; I've got a cool idea for what I could do with paints on that colour scheme), but you might have to deal with a sketchy placeholder until I've got time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Very well!
    Keeping with your theme of Dragon month, id like to see Dragon-Ponyard reveling in new-found power. (optional: A very frightened Skyrocket observing)
    However, ponyard has a bit of a lust for power, so his expression would be one of twisted satisfaction. he would most likely be laughing quietly. Ponyard has had to fight for his life since he was a child, and scars that wouldnt show on his pony form are quite obvious on a dragons body. He is almost litteraly covered in them.
    In place of a unicorns horn he has two over-sized magical gauntlets that channel his magics.
    Day 286: Dragon Month #28

"The Dragon Ashardalon was one of the other great legends of Dragonkind; an ancient Red who cut out his own heart and replaced it with a powerful demon. Legends still speak of his confrontation against the Champion, Sozite, who only escaped the Dragon's wrath by accepting the same pact the Dragon had made. The Dragon - along with half a dozen other extraplanar entities - was sure it would get Sozite's soul upon death. Unfortunately, Sozite cheated them all and escaped to a happy retirement - good for him, but bad for anyone who crossed Ashardalon's path since."

[Sorry for being terrible. Conditions are not conductive to drawing well right now.]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 mins
    Music: Gala (Dash Mix)

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Banned

End of...

Oh right. We're like 80% done with february aren't we?

Ehheh heh...

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Barbarian in the Playground

Day 286: Dragon Month #28

"The Dragon Ashardalon was one of the other great legends of Dragonkind; an ancient Red who cut out his own heart and replaced it with a powerful demon. Legends still speak of his confrontation against the Champion, Sozite, who only escaped the Dragon's wrath by accepting the same pact the Dragon had made. The Dragon - along with half a dozen other extraplanar entities - was sure it would get Sozite's soul upon death. Unfortunately, Sozite cheated them all and escaped to a happy retirement - good for him, but bad for anyone who crossed Ashardalon's path since."

[Sorry for being terrible. Conditions are not conductive to drawing well right now.]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 mins
    Music: Gala (Dash Mix)
    Hmmm you know whats strange? The whole "cutting out of the heart" was something my very first OC had done. Though it wasn't willing. He kinda had his heart removed with a chainsaw, and while he was dying a demon possessed him and allowed him to live as long as the demon got a chance to feed every once in a while. Which was fine by Kaeden (my OC) cause he had a long list of people who he wanted dead.

As for the drawing, everyone has off days. No one expects you to churn out eye popping, jaw dropping art every time pencil touches paper or pen to tablet. Only you can hold yourself to that standard! This drawing less about the body and more the eyes and face. It captures Ponyard's grim "no matter the personal cost" attitude.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

10. - Top - End - #1030

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    End of...

Oh right. We're like 80% done with february aren't we?

Ehheh heh...
    93% as of asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Hmmm you know whats strange? The whole "cutting out of the heart" was something my very first OC had done. Though it wasn't willing. He kinda had his heart removed with a chainsaw, and while he was dying a demon possessed him and allowed him to live as long as the demon got a chance to feed every once in a while. Which was fine by Kaeden (my OC) cause he had a long list of people who he wanted dead.

As for the drawing, everyone has off days. No one expects you to churn out eye popping, jaw dropping art every time pencil touches paper or pen to tablet. Only you can hold yourself to that standard! This drawing less about the body and more the eyes and face. It captures Ponyard's grim "no matter the personal cost" attitude.
    If I could churn out eye popping, jaw dropping art, like, at all then I'd be happy

Day 287: Dragon Month #29

And there the chronicle abruptly ends, so abruptly that one is lead to suspect that the proper ending was stolen from it.

[Do not ask about the day I've had]

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 5 mins
    Music: Queening
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-29 at 06:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

And there the chronicle abruptly ends, so abruptly that one is lead to suspect that the proper ending was stolen from it.

[Do not ask about the day I've had]
    (Hugs and Kisses)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #1032

Day 288: Metal

I'm meaning to get some thoughts and reflections on various lessons in, but I've been erratically scheduled. I'm also not finished today's picture yet, so this is a placeholder post with my sketch layer to be posted before midnight. I'll probably take my time with this one and post a detailed version as tomorrow's picture.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 30 mins so far
    Music: Catgroove

EDIT: After another 45 minutes:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-01 at 09:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1033

Day 289: Chingo

Ai'ight. Finally had time to put the hours in and do something cool.

A few thoughts, first. Dragon Month was intensely educational and I could easily do it for another month and not run out of ideas. There's a lot to be said for drawing similar things repeatedly to get the hang of it. I might do themed exercise weeks in the future once in a while. Also, the fiction while fun was a bad idea; one of the most helpful parts of this challenge is reflecting on what I did at length.

Now, today's piece. I used Domo's shading method and I find myself liking it a lot. Not sure the spread brushing was best practice, but w/e's. However, due to a failure in the order of operations I did shading in, I completely whiffed in getting a good background done. What I thought was a shortcut wound up biting me in the ass, next time I'll do it the long and proper way.

I think the head of the thing could have been better designed, but by and large I'm happy with what I did here. It was all completely from imagination, too, no reference images of any kind.

Spoiler
    Show

Fullview here

Time: 2 hours today
    Music: Kraid's Campfire Ballad
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-02 at 02:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silviya, that is called "Density Control", and is a switch for pressure sensitivity in your drawing program of choice
    Ah, right. I knew it had to be called something. I always called it "Other Dynamics" because that's the little box you check to turn it on and off in Photoshop. It's nice to know what it's actually called.

Ah! Writing progress! Jealous!
    Hey, you're making art progress.

On day 288 and 289: Ooh, I like that a lot. Very creepy looking. I like the shading in the colored version a lot, and for some reason I really like the colored wires coming off it mixed in with the black ones. I don't know, but somehow it feels like those few colored wires add a lot of . . . realism to it, I guess? I also quite like the shinier metal effects on the plates over the shoulders.

My deviantART account: link.

15. - Top - End - #1035

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    On day 288 and 289: Ooh, I like that a lot. Very creepy looking. I like the shading in the colored version a lot, and for some reason I really like the colored wires coming off it mixed in with the black ones. I don't know, but somehow it feels like those few colored wires add a lot of . . . realism to it, I guess? I also quite like the shinier metal effects on the plates over the shoulders.
    Thank you :)

Day 290: Derp

Not complete but I'm out of time today. Mostly experimentation. More thoughts tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show

Music: These guys

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh my. That is a surprisingly nifty closeup there. :O
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thank you :)

Day 290: Derp

Not complete but I'm out of time today. Mostly experimentation. More thoughts tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show

Music: These guys
    That looks very good u.u
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

18. - Top - End - #1038

Oh my. That is a surprisingly nifty closeup there. :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    That looks very good u.u
    Why thank you ^^ I'll be sure to follow it up with something terrible.

Day 291: Whochaa~

Kinda-half a drawing for bobcat; my focus was elsewhere than drawing today.

A few reflections, thoughts and future plans:

- I'm getting more accustomed to paints and what I can do with SAI, and figuring out the bristle settings on the brush gives me interesting ideas for new ways to do hair. Paints are hugely fun and immensely relaxing to do, and moreover I haven't investigated it remotely enough. I'll shoot for at least one paints picture a week.
    - The converse of this is that I feel like I've been neglecting my linework and composition of human bodies. My big priority over the next few days is basic human bodies and a revision of composition and structure. I'm setting myself a sub-challenge of swimsuits.
    - My other area of focus is humans in physical contact. I've been putting it off too long, time for fighting, wrestling, and other such wholesome activities. Getting multiple characters on the same page who look like they're meant to be on the same page is the goal.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 15 mins
    Music: Everybody Wants To Rule The World

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

Hopefully I'll remember!

Day 284: Dragon Month #26

"Twilight. I'ma take a nap now an' by the time I wake up I'd better be back to normal, ya'll understand?"

Spoiler
    Show
    blondie dragon with wheat

This looks so lovely. The colours are wonderful and it just looks like it could've been a screencap from an animated kid's show or something, seriously. I especially like all the swirly lines that are placed just right to give a hint of texture. You keep getting better. ^^
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

- The converse of this is that I feel like I've been neglecting my linework and composition of human bodies. My big priority over the next few days is basic human bodies and a revision of composition and structure.
    Shall try to comment where I can

I'm setting myself a sub-challenge of swimsuits.
    I'm sure research will be most arduous >_>

- My other area of focus is humans in physical contact. I've been putting it off too long, time for fighting, wrestling, and other such wholesome activities. Getting multiple characters on the same page who look like they're meant to be on the same page is the goal.
    The How To Draw Manga series has a book specificlaly on that topic, so might be worth investigating. One key thing is the positioning of the feet - their direction, balance, weight distribution and all that jazz.
    For instance your boxing dude's feet are pointing inwards, but they should splay outwards much more.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

21. - Top - End - #1041

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    This looks so lovely. The colours are wonderful and it just looks like it could've been a screencap from an animated kid's show or something, seriously. I especially like all the swirly lines that are placed just right to give a hint of texture. You keep getting better. ^^
    Thank you! Backgrounds and landscapes are the other thing to practise; they're more and less hard than I've thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Shall try to comment where I can
    Appreciate it!

I'm sure research will be most arduous >_>
    Heh. Heheh. Ah, I can't explain what's funny about that without getting into Too Much Information.

In place of an explanation, feel free to assume the worst.

The How To Draw Manga series has a book specificlaly on that topic, so might be worth investigating. One key thing is the positioning of the feet - their direction, balance, weight distribution and all that jazz.
    For instance your boxing dude's feet are pointing inwards, but they should splay outwards much more.
    I'll check on Amazon for it later :)

Day 292: Doomed

Backgrounds! Shadings! Heavy machinery! Reflections! Gosh this stuff is all hard.

I don't really know what to say about this one; it was all new territory. I started off by doing big coloured blocs of all the major illumination areas on solid flat fills and adding details on additional layers. I didn't even try for textures - note to self, examine textures - apart from the shadows on the pipe, where I found the spread function works good for rustey bits. I also gained a new appreciation for just how much goddamn work goes into anime.

Overall, learning experience, though I'm not sure I can articulate the exact things I learned. A lot of experience at the bottom of the colour spectrum was gained, plus stuff about illumination and highlights. Will examine more. Tomorrow, expect pen and paper rubbish.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 2 hours
    Music: Way Down In The Hole

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Banned

Wow, man. That's fabulous.

Only thing I can think of that's holding you back now is your wobbly lines. But I mean, wow. I actually can't... You've crossed that line where you're one of those nebulous Internet Artists whose work I can't quite dissect. I really need to catch up on my art stuff...

23. - Top - End - #1043

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Wow, man. That's fabulous.

Only thing I can think of that's holding you back now is your wobbly lines. But I mean, wow. I actually can't... You've crossed that line where you're one of those nebulous Internet Artists whose work I can't quite dissect. I really need to catch up on my art stuff...
    Curse you, wobbly lines! Curse you!

Otherwise, high praise, thank you.

Day 293: Moments Between

A bunch of pages of pencil sketching, nothing notable. Practise practise.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 1.5 hours spent
    Music: Two Heads Are Better Than One

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Soooooooooooo...

Does this mean you're taking requests again?

*Is hopeful*

25. - Top - End - #1045

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Soooooooooooo...

Does this mean you're taking requests again?

*Is hopeful*
    Can't hurt. I'm enjoying this new-found freedom of composition so it might be a little while before I get around to it.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright. My buddy has an OC pony that I'd leg you to make a chibi-tar of, if that's not too much to ask.

Spoiler
    Show

She's a drow entertainer pony who hangs out in a creepy carnival place below the earth. She's mischevious as opposed to villainous, and likes pulling pranks and stuff.

As for pose, maybe twirling around or something, with a flaming whip?

Or you could just draw her regular-humanized style, if you want to.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty much the most challenging and educational thing you could try to draw in terms of character contact is, like, kissing. Making out. Hugging. Cuddling. You know, the whole plethora. Nothing like figuring out where everyone's hands are supposed to go while keeping track of foreshortening and tilting and angles and such.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

28. - Top - End - #1048

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Alright. My buddy has an OC pony that I'd leg you to make a chibi-tar of, if that's not too much to ask.

Spoiler
    Show

She's a drow entertainer pony who hangs out in a creepy carnival place below the earth. She's mischevious as opposed to villainous, and likes pulling pranks and stuff.

As for pose, maybe twirling around or something, with a flaming whip?

Or you could just draw her regular-humanized style, if you want to.
    Holy image resolution batman!

Sure, when I get time.

Pretty much the most challenging and educational thing you could try to draw in terms of character contact is, like, kissing. Making out. Hugging. Cuddling. You know, the whole plethora. Nothing like figuring out where everyone's hands are supposed to go while keeping track of foreshortening and tilting and angles and such.
    Heh, that is absolutely on the list.

Day 294: CyberTAAAAAAANK

For AOTRS.

Skulls are hard to draw from the back.

Hmm. There are issues, but a lot less than I thought there'd be. Perspective needs more work, but in general I'm quite happy with this.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 50 minutes
    Music: Nightmare
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-07 at 03:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my gosh I didn't think it'd turn out that big sorry.

Anyway, cool tank and space lich!

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

Very true. I have enough trouble figuring those things out when I'm doing them, let alone drawing...

<.<
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!