New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Magitech in DnD 3.5e (PEACH)

another one ^^

if i have two runestone of different level spell (like a runestone of a 2° lv spell, and a runestone of a 3° lv spell)

when i pull the trigger between the battery and the two runestone, the battery simply use 3 charge to activate both, even if one is lower level?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Well given that you need a separate end for each, you'll need separate charge for each as well. (Not to mention if you could do that, the system would actually encourage people looking to nova. Which isn't a good idea.)
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-03-09 at 09:13 AM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

mmh i dind't understend or i explained myself badly.

having a 3 end trapestry (one in, 2 out ends) attach to the in a battery and to the out the said runestone.

if the two runestone are of two spell of the same lv (for example two runestone of magic missile) the battery use one single charge to power both runestone (as for multiplication effect)
    (and if i didn't understand this basic i quit tryng to make an engineer :P )

if i instead use a runestone of magic missile and a runestone of schorcing ray, what happen?

i thought the battery lose 2 charge (for the higher spell level of the two) and power both of them.

hope it's clearer now ^^

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endragor View Post
    mmh i dind't understend or i explained myself badly.

having a 3 end trapestry (one in, 2 out ends) attach to the in a battery and to the out the said runestone.

if the two runestone are of two spell of the same lv (for example two runestone of magic missile) the battery use one single charge to power both runestone (as for multiplication effect)
    (and if i didn't understand this basic i quit tryng to make an engineer :P )

if i instead use a runestone of magic missile and a runestone of schorcing ray, what happen?

i thought the battery lose 2 charge (for the higher spell level of the two) and power both of them.

hope it's clearer now ^^
    Sorry, you have it wrong. In the magic missle example, It'd cost 2 levels for both. The magic missle and ray example would take 3 levels for both. The multiplication is if a spell is cast on a tapestry to actually effect the items it is linked to.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    Sorry, you have it wrong. In the magic missle example, It'd cost 2 levels for both. The magic missle and ray example would take 3 levels for both. The multiplication is if a spell is cast on a tapestry to actually effect the items it is linked to.
    You are correct.

And I finished another load of feats. Namely a group in the "Extensive Exposure to Magic" series, that focuses on the 8 schools. Namely there's two feats for each school, the first giving a deal of resistance to said school, whereas the latter requires the first as well as level 6 and allows you to use said school in some manner.

Example:

Level Drain Resistance - Extensive Exposure to Necromancy - Ignore the first (Character Level) negative levels you gain each day.

Draining Touch - Drain Resistance, 6th level - Each day you can make a number of melee touch attacks to inflict up to (Character Level) Negative Levels on the target. Target gets a FORT save and you cannot expend more than half your daily allotment at a time. There is no chance that these become permanent.

Hmm, not the best example actually. With most of them the first feat doesn't scale, whereas the latter does. But you get the idea. These are all a bit circumstantial and only really shine when combo'd with one another. Namely when each party member chooses one pair of feats to go after.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-03-09 at 05:15 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Pixie in the Playground

whoa....
    i didn't understand a damm thing....
    so i can only multyply spell that target object...
    so this is only real usefull when u are like at lv 15 when u can make little mech...
    ok saving a turn by casting multiple spell in the same round is good, but this lead to oversized batterye etc...
    i'm looking forward to see if i can find any good spell to multiply exept for create thrust, or some good concentration-lasting spell (where the system realy shine imho)

sorry i'm in a bad mood for the news... i have to rewrite all the schematics for my pc, and they where a ton....

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Welk, the level draining feat.... its already been done by wizards. Look in the Libirs mortis tomb tainted feat series. One of them does that. (fortitude or resilience, I forget which)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    Hey Welk, the level draining feat.... its already been done by wizards. Look in the Libirs mortis tomb tainted feat series. One of them does that. (fortitude or resilience, I forget which)
    GAH! People keep stealing my ideas before I have them!
    Now I need to at least get the .pdf of Libris Mortis... Eh, there's been overlaps before, haven't there? Multiple feats that are similar to one another? Hopefully mine isn't exactly the same.....

Edit: 'Nother two PrCs down: The Brewmaster and the Parent of Sentience. The first is actually one of my favorite PrCst that I've made. They specialize in - you guessed it - Spellbrews. They can quickly whip up various concoctions as well as having a bunch always at the ready. The latter focuses in the speedy progression of SMIs for use with my... progression system.

And I finished a very important spell: The Spell Shield. It has the possibility to greatly influence how casters go about their business and as such I've decided to post the current version here for review.

Spell Shield - 5 - When you cast this spell, you expend another at the same time. You now have a "Spell Shield" active with a number of charges equal to the level of the other spell you expended. While said shield is active, you are no longer subject to harmful spell effects. Instead, whenever you would be, you take a number of charges off of your shield equal to the level of the harmful spell. At any point you can use a standard action to expend another spell, thus further charging your Shield. There's a maximum charge of Caster Level Squared - 5*Caster Level (I would of course include a neat little table with the actual numbers for levels 1-20). The spell ends when the charge is reduced to zero. Charge degrades at 1 per minute. Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel Magic are gobbled up like any other. Disjunction on the other hand has a chance to deal some greater damage. If you cast Disjunction on a Spell Shield and have a greater CL, roll a d20. You have a 5% chance per CL you have above the other caster to deal your CL in damage to the enemy's shield. If you fail on this roll, the shield doesn't even take the 7 damage from the spell. If this Spell Shield is being cast by a Magitech Construct, the initial cost of 5 charges scales with size, but the cost to charge does not. Only Spell Shield spells can charge a Spell Shield cast on a Tapestry Construct. Using a Runestaff of Spell Shield to charge does not use up it's daily uses.

Chances are you'd want to spend a couple of rounds pumping your shield before heading into battle. In fact, if a Skyship is using this spell and is reduced to 0 charge, it's not a good idea to try to reactivate it. Doing so would cost over 300 Spell Levels and since you can't charge it in the same round it's cast, it'd likely be taken back down to 0 the same round.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-03-10 at 06:06 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339
    Pixie in the Playground

mmh maybe a bit too omnicomprensive...

the idea of having multiple defence that doesen't stop all by themself is great.

in a fight u can have multiple type of energy damage, untyped spell damage, force damage and so on to try to find a weak spot in the enemy defence.
    i was thinking about taking energy admixture, santily spell and other for this purpose, but if all that count is how many spell level u can unleash on a given target all that become useless...

with this spell a battle come only to unload any spell u can afford on his shield to take them down without any tattical strategy. unload all u have on the shield and then go to town...

this will lead to the ship to have standard weaponry, the one with the best spell level/cost rate, then u can just confront the charge of two wessel to say who will win.

personaly i like the idea but should be a secret spell only for "the unbeatable" of your game world (like the arcadia ^^)
    personaly i will think of the eventuality to even make it epic level...

all above is imho, of course ^^

btw i found an issue with trapestry an metamagic, when it comes to 0 lv adjustment metamagic. they are effectively free? maybe a simple sentence explaining that they are treated like half level adjustment can resolve that ^^

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

If its 0th level... it IS free...

11. - Top - End - #341

If its 0th level... it IS free...
    you (should) still need to have the feat, so it isn't totally free.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

you (should) still need to have the feat, so it isn't totally free.
    Quite. And I actually don't have any feats in my books that are a 0-level adjustment - the only ones I've seen are Rich's. There's probably a few in Complete Mage... But the same explanation goes. The primary cost is in taking the feat in the first place. Most crafters would still add 500 to the market price due to their valued knowledge of the feat. However, this number is open to haggling as it isn't actually stated anywhere how valuable the possession of a desired feat is...

As for the spell: Great point, Endragor. I'll make some edits such that it's cheaper to set up the shield against only a few types of magic (whether it be schools or energy types) such that there's a constant bid going on with the attackers choosing to probe the shield for gaps in it's resistances or trying an even blend of attacks while the defenders ration their energy among the various defenses...

Edit: Also, I don't think there's any spell with the "Best level/cost ratio" given that the cost is equal to the level...

Lookie what I found:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-03-11 at 11:51 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #343

Manapunk would be an awesome title.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I is a possibility...

In other news, another great game from my group. The Engineer of the Dual Path (Ex-Theurge) made an interesting device that allows you to talk with plants...

Hey, fun fact: If you type "Manapunk" into Google Images, you'll find Jojolagger and Radmelon's Avatars on page 3.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Hey, fun fact: If you type "Manapunk" into Google Images, you'll find Jojolagger and Radmelon's Avatars on page 3.
    1. I'm actually on page 4.
    2. WTF! What caused google to make that connection?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

1. I'm actually on page 4.
    2. WTF(udge)! What caused google to make that connection?
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Soon the Google shall know everything.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

My theurge got me again.

"What if I had a pair of Ring Gates in a vacuum chamber inside of a mech, with water flowing through it. Then I could hook up a gear to engage into the chamber whenever I wanted. Who needs "Animate Mechanics"? Perpetual motion, FTW"

Darn it.

(Also making a spell that creates a vacuum)

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    "What if I had a pair of Ring Gates in a vacuum chamber inside of a mech, with water flowing through it. Then I could hook up a gear to engage into the chamber whenever I wanted. Who needs "Animate Mechanics"? Perpetual motion, FTW"
    Ring gates have a daily transfer limit of 100 pounds.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Okay, that does limit it somewhat, but it is an interesting idea. I could imagine a Epic Level version of these that are significantly larger and are used to power a small city... But for the mech he's working on-- If the matter goes through both rings repeatedly but isn't necessarily "Pulled Back" then each go-through will count independently for 100 limit. How fast could one pound of water get if it were to fall 150 feet through a vacuum? The smaller version certainly couldn't be used for "Perpetual motion" given the limit, but it still could be used for small bursts of energy...

Edit:

Addendum/Continuation of Spell Shield - Spell shield is now 3rd level. You also now have separate values for each school of magic. If you were to use a fireball to charge your Spell Shield, it'd increase your Evocation Defense by 3. Similarly, a scorching ray then cast at you would decrease your Evocation Defense by 2. Each value degrades at 1/minute and the shield doesn't dissipate until all values are zero. Abjuration spells used to power a shield can be used to power any of the eight defenses. Abjuration spells used to take down a shield (Dispel, or Disjunction, most likely) target the Abjuration Defense first, but then can target any of the other defenses. Universal spells used to charge a shield have their levels evenly and randomly distributed among the defenses, whereas Universal spells targeted at a Spell Shield always target the highest defense. You can also cast spells to charge your shield as a move action rather than a standard action as long as said spell has a level no greater than 1/4 of your CL.

How's that?

EditEdit: Giving this spell it's own thread as it is hardly Magitech Dependent (Though it is Magitech Compatible) and I think it's a decent idea that should be shared even with those less technologically-minded.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-03-14 at 05:29 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Things I am currently considering:

• Adding bonus TCP due to high INT
    • Removing the minimum Tap CL of 5, allowing for some cheaper small devices
    • A PrC based on amassing a robot army/using TCP to make basic bots
    • A Mad Scientist PrC
    • A couple of feats for people dabbling in Psionic Powers
    • A creature called a Woop, a weapon which is a Shup. And the verb "To Use a Shup" would be "To Shoop". So you could Shoop Da Woop.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Now you're just saying sounds.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

22. - Top - End - #352

How's the publishing coming along?
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been a bit busy lately, and have some other ideas clogging up the works. There are a few tweaks I need to make, but for the most part I got things fleshed out. The Convention of Arcane Limitations certainly needs to be worked on a bit, as it's a little haphazard right now. My team's AE is having a marvelous time of things.

Edit: Oh, and my artist is progressing slowly but surely. She hasn't had a lot of time recently, and as such hasn't given me much to look at.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-04-09 at 06:06 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Really looking forward to the book.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

My, and I thought that everyone had forgotten about this!

To tell you the truth, I've started work on another project. The Magitech system was a great learning experience for me, but I recently found that I'd have to be evading numerous copyrights and including all sorts of OGL information, licensing and whatnot. I also have no experience with any of that and am relatively sure that I'd slip up somewhere. The Amazon Create Space that I was planning on using does not have an editor (One of the reasons that its' free) and as such if I did make such a mistake there would be no one there to catch it.

You may have caught a glimpse of my brief post titled "[System Idea] A Simpler World (Concept Check)" or something like that. I'm now about 70% through the key mechanics and have most of the major lore written out. It's a 2d10 game (I know of no others) that would not have any of those pesky problems involving the work being centered around a non-OGL magic item.

Due to this, I may open a new thread in which I start posting some of my other Magitech work if I decide that I really won't be publishing it. Thanks to all that have followed and supported this project. I do feel that I owe you at least access to the rest of the system, if not a full-fledged book.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

</3!!!!!
    But still getting the goodies for free is nice. Id like to point out there are lots, and lots of people on GitP who are quite good with grammar and technical editing you could recruit. And for the simple stuff, C&P chapters into word and run spell check.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

</3!!!!!
    But still getting the goodies for free is nice. Id like to point out there are lots, and lots of people on GitP who are quite good with grammar and technical editing you could recruit. And for the simple stuff, C&P chapters into word and run spell check.
    Indeed.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

28. - Top - End - #358
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well I am saddened to here that Welknair, but I understand. I would love to see what else you have worked on for Magitech, and I know that if you do wish to try to go ahead and publish the book that there are plenty around, myself included, that would be happy to help.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Why not just make it a non-profit online book? Y'know, publish it on Google documents or something?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Why not just make it a non-profit online book? Y'know, publish it on Google documents or something?
    Publishing is by no means a problem. I believe I've mentioned a couple of times that I had intended to use Amazon Create Space which is free online-publishing program that allows the work to be printed and bought, with the author receiving 60% royalties. The reason why I'm reconsidering is copyright problems and the need for a talented artist. The entire system really revolves around the Runestaff which is not OGL content. That alone is a major problem. My artist is quite amiable, but she isn't really up to professional standards yet.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show