New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: [NEXUS] MagCave VI: What Is a Mag? A Miserable Little Pile of Circuits!

Kale's Laboratory

Miss Kale ponders.

I have strength test equipment. I'm sure I can rig up something to fit him. In the meantime, I'll make do with more rudimentary means.

She wheels around in front of the magtrocity

Honey.

Momma!

Kale looks taken aback. She glances as Magtok. Momma and Daddy. Well. A million shippers cry out in ecstasy.

Pick me up.

The magtrocity happily obliges, lifting Kale from her wheelchair and holding her easily five feet off the ground.

Very good. Return me to my chair.

The magtrocity does so with surprising gentleness.

Be a doll and destroy the desk over there.

The magtrocity claps his hands with joy and lumbers over to the desk, picking it up (tearing the bolted mounts from the floor like paper) and proceeding to rip it to pieces, then crush it into a ball. Kale watches in awe at the strength and belied finesse of her creation. She backs up next to Magtok to get out of range of the shrapnel coming off the x-desk.

The control chip should keep it from harming any of your staff. I suppose we ought to name it, for convenience.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] MagCave VI: What Is a Mag? A Miserable Little Pile of Circuits!

MagAssembly

"Aaagh!"

Gods, that tastes just awful. People have died for making Magtok feel less unpleasant and nauseous than he is right now (Of course, most of those people were Magbots, but it still counts!). He has half a mind to wring the little loony toon's neck for that!

"Fine. I lied."

But he doesn't. In fact, he doesn't even bother smacking the gremlin around a little, either.

"But only about him having more toys. He's still got plenty, and is nowhere near as liable to catch you and send you away somewhere. His name is Warwick, look him up once we're done here. Oh, and whatever you do, don't come back."

Don't come back? It's not going anywhere Magtok, it's in a cage! How are you going to-

...Oh. Huh, a flying bird cage. That's interesting. So is the massive MagCannon that you and the cage are moving towards. Is that the same sort of thing you have in MagMart to ensure complete customer satisfaction? What do you think the maximum distance on a thing like that might be with a thing as small as that cage, anyways?

"Bon voyage, mouseketeer. And good riddance."

Maggy drops the cage in, and assuming the vile invader doesn't do anything to stop him, he fires the cage, gremlin included, into the bright blue sky.

Kale's Laboratory

"We? There's no need to make this any more convenient for the shippers than it already is, Elizabeth. He's your science fair project, it only seems fitting that you should be the one to assign it a name."

Magtok shakes his head, still trying to recover from the slobber incident when a piece of desk abruptly bounces off the left side of his forehead. He blinks, staring blankly for a moment or two, before he pulls his face back into its trademark scowl.

"That said, if you're absolutely starved for ideas, I think 'Lenny' hasn't seen much use in the Nexus. Nifty reference, too. Or would that be too snooty and pretentious? Hrm..."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

MagAssembly

"Oh dear..."
    BOOOM! Off the gremlin goes. He might bug Warwick later, but will probably go off into the one-time character only pile since Reinholdt already has a character who needs to bug Warwick. Eventually. Maybe.
    *looks at list of things to do*

Random Workshop

*chitter chitter*
    All done.

Mister Squiggles presses a few things and closes the chassis as Margret reboots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

You can never be too pretentious when referencing Asimov.

*prods at the Warwick family*

Eh, unless Adam comes back to help play out Willow's story, I'm not sure they have much of a future anyway. But who knows? One of them might inspire me one day.

Random Workshop

Once Margret finishes rebooting, Mainframe will take over a Magbot.

"Greetings, Margret. Are you a person?"

Geez, Mainframe. Ever hear of tact?
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

5. - Top - End - #215

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kale's Laboratory

Lenny. Yes, I think that is quite fine.

She clears her throat.

Put down the desk and come here.

Calling it a desk was generous. But Lenny complies and lumbers over to the two of them and stands waiting.

Good. Your name is Lenny. What is your name?

Len-nee.

Right. From now on, you only obey me and daddy and anyone who looks exactly like daddy, do you understand?

Lenny grins broadly, revealing skewed teeth, and nods vigorously.

Good.

She turns and addresses Magtok.

I suppose you'll want the me to dismantle the growth chamber and not be growing any more of these, then.

6. - Top - End - #216

Kale's Laboratory

"To prevent you from developing an army of grossly distorted MagClones and taking over the MagCave again?"

Magtok...shakes his head? What?! B-but, that's...that-

"Nope! Do as you will with the chamber; make as many as you deem sufficient. Build an entire football team of them, even, and blitz the hell out of the place. Better yet, go hop in yourself so you can be some huge, menacing final boss battle a la the Arkham Asylum game.

Or don't. I'm leaving it up to you, Ms. Kale. I don't have the time to violently object to every slightly terrifying thing you construct in here. How could I; you seem to specialize in doing that exactly that. You signed that paper too, so just go with your best judgment."

And with that potential danger disregarded with an almost insulting lack of concern, Magtok floats over and narrows his eyes at Lenny's teeth. Eeesh, that is just hideous.

"Either way, I-err, rather, that is, we, should probably get the big guy a toothbrush. Or maybe go the other way and just weaponize his halitosis, one or the other. Lenny, has Mommy taught you how to floss yet?"
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-11-09 at 11:45 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Random Workshop

Margret stands up off the table and gives Magbot a smile.

"Of course! I'm daddy's little girl."

FOrtunately for Mainframe, she's talking to someone who... may be considered outside the social norm and probably isn't all too familiar with tact either.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Random Workshop

"What are your goals and aspirations?" Mainframe asks.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Random Workshop

"I am to defend daddy's home from threats." Margret says after a little bit, not understanding the question.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Random Workshop

"Then it is good to know there is someone else to answer the door now that I no longer do that job." Mainframe says, and departs the Magbot.

Not a person.

Not interesting.

It seems empathy is also not among Mainframe's traits.

Random Magtok

A different Magbot gets possessed, near a random Magtok clone. "I want a body. I do not know what else I want."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Random Workshop

"Oh no. I wouldn't dare answer the door. Daddy loves doing that too much." Margret tells the Magbot she thought she was having a conversation with.

Mister Squiggles chitters to himself and will leave unless there's a reason to stick around.

Random Hallway

Winston undeadtimes. He's just walking down the hallway, coffee in one hand, tablet in the other. He sure seems to have mastered the ability to work on a computer with coffee in one hand, based on how often he does it. It's like watching a walking circus in a way, though the trick is limited and gets repetitive.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

12. - Top - End - #222

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kale's Laboratory

Lenny claps his hands happily.

No! Will you? I like learning things!

eeewwch.

Kale nods.

I believe I will put Lenny through extensive stress testing before I try to duplicate the results.

13. - Top - End - #223

Random Magtok

"...Right. Any specifics about this body?"

Magtok immediately pulls out a notepad, ready and waiting for more information. Mainframe goes through bodies like Magtok goes through clones, but maybe if they put just a teensy bit more effort into this unit...

Kale's Laboratory

"I'd love to, Lenny, but as it turns out I have to-"

"BEEP! NO YOU DON'T! ANOTHER CLONE TOOK CARE OF THAT ALREADY," Magtok's left wrist chimes in abruptly. He glares at his hand, making a mental note to tear out whatever communications device is lodged inside, and to locate the clone responsible for stealing his excuse away.

"...Right. When you do, try not to make too many though, okay? Inverse Lenny Law and all. Do you have a bathroom around here?"

Looks like there's no getting out of this horrible nightmare, so he might as well get it over with as quickly as possible and maybe accidentally break something in Kale's lavatory while he's at it.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Random Magtok

"I want it to be able to convey facial expressions." Mainframe says. Then there is some hesitation. "What else should a body be able to do that is different than a simple chassis?"

It's possible Winston could walk in on this conversation.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Random Magtok

Winston arrives!

And by arrives, I mean probably bumps into the Mainframe Magbot since he isn't watching where he's going.

That said, he does not spill perfectly good coffee all over the place. Nothing in the world could get him to waste coffee like that.

"Oh. Sorry."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

16. - Top - End - #226

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kale's Laboratory

The door to the bathroom is at the back of the lab.

Kale points to the door in question.

Lenny joins in pointing and giggles.

Can I come too, daddy?

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Random Magtok

"I want it to be able to convey facial expressions." Mainframe says. Then there is some hesitation. "What else should a body be able to do that is different than a simple chassis?"

It's possible Winston could walk in on this conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Random Magtok

Winston arrives!

And by arrives, I mean probably bumps into the Mainframe Magbot since he isn't watching where he's going.

That said, he does not spill perfectly good coffee all over the place. Nothing in the world could get him to waste coffee like that.

"Oh. Sorry."
    "Well, you could-"

Suddenly, Winston drops in!

"Winston! Perfect timing! And balance, too! Mainframe wants a proper body to go with its whole 'I am a person, not a slave' thing. Facial expressions, body language, the works. We're brainstorming stuff to include in the thing. Maybe synthetic skin or something along those lines? Something that says 'I'm not just a lump of metal', whilst at the same time saying 'I'm not pretending to be a human, either'."

Quote Originally Posted by Jacklu View Post
    Kale's Laboratory

The door to the bathroom is at the back of the lab.

Kale points to the door in question.

Lenny joins in pointing and giggles.

Can I come too, daddy?
    "Well duh. How else are you supposed t-"

Oh right, Lenny's dumb. All that bile and scowly contempt isn't going to work here, is it? Best stow it away for now, save it for Kale, on the off-chance she says something that'll serve as a decent set-up for a snarky exchange between the two career criminals.

"Yes, Lenny. Let's go. I'll try to make this quick, Kale."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Random Mag

"I do not want it to look human," Mainframe confirms.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Random Magtok

"Oh. Magtok too. Wait... didn't I just see you down..." Winston looks over his shoulder briefly before shaking his head and turning his attention to the task on hand.

"Synthetic skin shouldn't be too hard to pull off. Umm... I suppose we should start with ideas for the frame. Like... hmm... not human, so... how many legs are you thinking of?" Choose dodecaped!

Time to take some notes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #230

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kale's Laboratory

Kale turns to her console and starts running some numbers.

Lenny follows Magtok happily, ready to learn how to floss!

Learning is fun!

Learning is fun!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Random Magtok

"My last frame had four limbs, and the front two could be used to assist in quadrupedal running or as hands when I stood bipedal. That amount of flexibility was useful, but more would be better. What is your opinion of six limbs, the front two optimised for tool use, the rear two optimized for locomotion, and the middle two able to do either?"
    Mainframe asks.

Two shoulder chassis? I'm still trying to picture it myself.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Random Magtok

"Perhaps a tri-segmented body then with the upper two segments being highly rotatable?" I don't think it'd look very pretty, but it'd be quite useful. Still hard to picture, I'll admit. But it'd be something sort of bug-like, I think...
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-11-26 at 04:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

23. - Top - End - #233

Kale's Laboratory

Teaching is anything but fun! By the time this oral hygiene lesson is over, Magtok has lost a precious several minutes of his life that he'll never be able to win back! Why, oh why did he ever agree to do any of this?!

"Congratulations, Lenny. You now know how to take care of your own mouth. I'll leave sorting out business with the other end for your mother."

And with that less than inspiring statement uttered just loud enough that Kale might overhear, our cyborg promptly sets about getting the hell out of here.

Random Magtok

Magtok blinks, trying his hardest to make sense of the request, but failing horribly.

"Err...so would the joints just rotate upwards or something when not being used for locomotion, or...?"
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

24. - Top - End - #234

[The Lime Room]

Putting a few finishing touches on what looked to be a mess of wires and a small cluster of high-powered photon emitters, Riss gently set down her tools and removed the protective eyewear from her head to allow for closer inspection of this particular creation. It wasn't as noticible as some of her previous ideas but it would also have the likelyhood of actually being used rather than just sitting around somewhere. Or so I hope.

Finding nothing immediately wrong after a brief test of it's functions under low power, the muse let herself smile inwardly just a bit before letting herself worry about the next inevitable step. Though, maybe if I were to meet him somewhere rather than just calling for him to be here.. Would be best if I want to start making better impressions... After a moment's deliberation, the muse sent off a message to Magtok asking for a moment of his time in the nearest chamber that could be considered a firing range.

Though, time was playing a few tricks now as the entity known as Mainframe may find itself being inquired for an audience as well. The muse remembered Misha's earlier remark on how it had seemed 'lonely' and.. Well.. Artificial Intellegences had always been easier to talk to. Besides it had been some time since she had spoken to it at any rate.

25. - Top - End - #235

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kale's Lavatory

Lenny successfully flosses his teeth. Yay!

As Magtok heads out, Kale nods a farewell and Lenny waves to him. As soon as the door slides shut, Kale turns to Lenny.

Well then. I was thinking. You seem particularly strong and robust. Would you be willing to carry mommy around?

Lenny grins, happy to be of use.

Very good. Let's head out and show you around town, shall we?

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Mainframe design

"I have another idea. A structure similar to this, with the specialized limbs used only as hands mounted inside the front limbs."
    The Magbot currently inhabited by Mainframe projects a set of pictures that show a meerkat, standing, crouching, running, climbing, etc.

Firing Range

Another Magbot finds itself inhabited by Mainframe, and it arrives at the firing range. No tricks with time are needed, as the AI is capable of occupying two Magbots at once and holding multiple conversations.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Mainframe design

I am dissappointed at the lack of adorable pictures posted here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winston intended to answer Magtok, but Mainframe come up with her own solution.

"Hmm... it'd be more elegant at least." Easier to implement too, though maybe not as versatile as the segmented bug.

"Alright, so a meerkat frame with additional mounted hands and synthetic skin. What else? Some modifications to the ears or tail or do we want to stick with simple?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #238

[Firing Range]

While it might be a simple thing for an A.I. to hold multiple simultaneous conversations, for one who was not similarly adept it was anything but. Not to mention that multitasking became much more difficult when stress was involved but, given that Magtok had not yet arrived, that wouldn't yet come into the equation. Still, it was mildly unexpected but not necessarily unwelcome... Although why Mainframe decided to use a body when simply communication over the network would be more efficient was a mystery to Riss. Probably just a personal preference. Then again, easier to manipulate an environment and I suppose nonverbal communication has something to do with it.

With an expression that didn't seem entirely certain that it wanted to be a smile, the muse lightly cleared her throat before speaking. "Ah.. Hello. It's, um.. Been a while since we last spoke, I think. How.. How've you been?" she asked, fumbling somewhat with the device in her hands.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Front Door

A knock on the door. Cameras will reveal it's Missy. Or some evil doppelganger / clone / shapeshifter using her form.

Oh, and the nearest Magtok gets a mental ping. Yeah, it's Missy.

Firing Range

"I am uncertain how to answer. I have been experiencing discontent."

Mainframe Design

Spoiler
    Show

Better?

"I want several hidden sensor arrays in addition to eyes and ears," Mainframe says. He examines more meerkat pictures. "These creatures are generally considered to have an appearance that organic humanoids call 'cute', correct? And this induces the humanoids to be friendly towards them?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #240

Front Door

Out of all the clones to answer the door, why did it have to be you? Seriously Ant-tok, don't you think you should've let someone who doesn't have weird implants and bugs scurrying around them do this?

"Hi Missy. Excuse the new look, it's just for this one me until Pat gets back. I take it by you being here that you got the message, then."

Then again, you are the only clone who knows about what Linda and that other Magtok have been up to...is that what this is about, then? Did you contact Missy just to squeal on Godtok?

Firing Range

Magtok shows up. His face bears the expression of one expecting surprises, with no idea as to whether they'll be good or bad, but still hoping for the best.

"Hi Riss, Mainframe."

A nod to each, before he peers down the range. This is a weapons test, isn't it? I mean, what else could it be? Sure, Riss is pretty weird, but even she probably wouldn't think of this as the sort of place for a meeting that doesn't involve copious amounts of firearms, right? So what sort of fancy doomsday weapon has she invented this time?

Mainframe Design

Magtok bites his lip, raising a finger to interject before something absolutely terrible happens.

"So long as they stay around that size. I don't think humans would be so welcoming of a much larger, human-sized meerkat, designed to accommodate hidden lasers and guns and stuff. 'Cute' mostly has to do with being similar to human babies and such, so if you don't look harmless..."

A puppy is adorable. A giant, three-headed underworld hound is a completely different story.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson