New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

This is the Shipwrecked! thread for the meeting proposed by Hammerhardt occurring one evening during the second week.

This occurs:
    after week 1
    after diving quest
    after discovering water
    after discovering fire clearing
    during week 2
    before pig hunt

I will post a template for marking interest in proposals - this is not a substitute for RP, but should assist in accelerating the discussion

Player List

Current Location (at bottom of post)
    Ovias "Keep Searching"
    Epswitch "We Need Water" and "Building a Tent"
    Maria "Cleared Hilltop"
    Last edited by smartaleq; 2008-02-26 at 01:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

Gil arrives at the appointed time for the meeting, and takes a seat on the sand near the fire. He idly knots his rope while listening to the others discuss.

Gil's Opinions UPDATED
    Spoiler
    Show

Option - View - Reasons
    Leadership
    Himmerhardt - Weak Support - Old and wise?
    Epswitch - Strong Oppose -
    Ovias "Grey" - Weak Oppose - General Antagonism
    Gil - Strong Oppose - Can't direct well
    Maria - Weak support -
    Mara - Strong Support - Level headed
    Zalvulon - Oppose - Injured
    Roostin - Support - Was sailor, would be new "captain"
    Imbrallius - Strong Support - Good Speaker, Practical
    All Others - No Opinion

For Housing Location
    Stay on Beach - Oppose
    Move to Clean Water Pond - Support
    Move to Fire Clearing Hilltop - Strong Support - increases likelihood of meeting people on equal terms
    Continue Searching - Oppose - time is critical, want a steady base as soon as possible
    Prepare a Clearing - Oppose - time is critical

For Housing Type
    Continue Makeshift - No Opinion
    Wooden Palisades - No Opinion
    Stone Construction - No Opinion
    Last edited by smartaleq; 2008-02-27 at 04:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Ben mostly daydreams during the discussion. He doesn't care too much for what others seem to consider "intellectual talk".

Spoiler
    Show

Option - View - Reasons
    Leadership
    Himmerhardt - Oppose - Old people aren't going to survive, so we'll just have to repeat this process later
    Mara - Support - She seems to know what she's doing
    Roostin - Support - Old enough to be a smart leader, young enough to not croak tomorrow
    Imbrallius - Support - Bookworm types are good at these sorts of things
    All non-humans - Oppose - General mistrust
    exception Ovias - Neutral - Trusts him enough from diving
    All others - No opinion

For Housing Location
    Stay on Beach - Support - Can still fish there, chance of spotting passing boats, boiling sea water for drinking water
    Move to Clean Water Pond - Mild support - Water
    Move to Fire Clearing Hilltop - Support - Sounds like some shelter and curiousity gets the better of Ben
    Continue Searching - No opinion - Others do the searching

For Housing Type
    No opinion - Whatever keeps the water off his head and wind out of his face will suit him just fine
    Last edited by sickler; 2008-02-26 at 01:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maria sits quietly most of the time, eyes focused intently on whoever is speaking. When it comes time to voice her opinions, they are as follows:

Spoiler
    Show
    Option - View - Reasons
    Leadership
    Himmerhardt - No Opinion - Has rarely interacted with him.
    Epswitch - Strong Oppose - Seems antagonistic and completely stubborn
    Ovias "Grey" - Support - Always manages to keep/get people working
    Gil - Strong Oppose - Can't vocalize directions
    Maria - Strong Oppose - Dislikes giving orders, dislikes interacting with most people
    Mara - Support - Level headed
    Zalvulon - Weak Oppose - Currently injured, otherwise no opinion on his leadership
    Roostin - Weak Support - Was in somewhat of a position of authority before the ship sank.
    All Others - No Opinion

For Housing Location
    Stay on Beach - No Opinion - Has proved adequate so far
    Move to Clean Water Pond - Support - Gives more direct access to most resources
    Move to Fire Clearing Hilltop - No Opinon - Need search and survival results to come back before an opinion can be formed.
    Continue Searching - No Opinion - A cave would be ideal but searching is somewhat time consuming. Supports continuing to let the hunters search as they forage.

For Housing Type
    Wooden Palisades - No Opinion

Maria thinks that their best bet is finding a cave. We could then build a cavas, wood, and stone construction at the front of it, connected to the entrance. This would give us a much larger housing space than the cave alone or a structure alone would.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Ovias waits for people to arrive, and then walks next to the fire and speakes his initial statement:

"Good evening to you all. We need to decide what to do about housing and, it seems, about leaderrship. I find farr morre imporrtant housing, so I will get rright to it. We have not find any apprropiate place for it. Building close to the lake, while convenient, given the amount of waste we generrate, is a fast way to foul the waterrs we have to drrink."

Pausing for air, he continues, "Some have suggested a hilltop with a stone cirrcle, but that sounds to me like a rreligious place, and if therre arre indeed locals, I do not think it wise to trransforrm theirr sacrred offerrings place into housing. They would likely take it the wrrong way. So would I, and I will not have any parrt of it. Now, I have yet to see it forr myself, but I will soon, time perrmiting, so if it turrns to be differrent frrom what I picturre, I rreserrve my rright to change my mind."

"So, the issue rremains: we have slowly accumulated the rresourrces to build housing, but we have nowherre to put it. Master Currunda would prreferr it if we did not cut down trrees, but being rrealistic we would have to crreate ourr own clearring. I have not explorred, so I will gladly hearr frrom those that know the terrain. Wherre can we build, that has the space forr a common house and is not too farr frrom sea orr frresh waterr, but not too close to this one eitherr? The answer so farr is nowherre, as farr as I have hearrd frrom explorrers, and I'd rratherr not commit to a bad place now if therre is a good place coming. We still may have some time beforre we trruly need the rrefuge."

"On the issue of leaderrship, I prropose Masterr Himmerrharrdt and Mara Herrbswife, forr rreasons of my own. Make of that what you will. Howeverr, I do not believe they should make all decisions. So farr we have done well to decide as a grroup, and I believe we can continue to do so. They would be Arrbitrrers, as we call them amongst dwarrves, rratherr than Directorrs."

With those final words, Ovias sits down, waiting for others to make their own proposals.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, it seems that I'm the only one that has read this in the DM's description of the hilltop stone circle - but the more I read it, the clearer it becomes he is describing it. If it turns out to be something else, I'll have Ovias apologise.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-02-26 at 03:15 PM. Reason: decided to change my reasoning a bit to support more exploring
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:

Nice job! This thread is a really good idea!

The stone circle: Grey, yes a bit like that, only a lot smaller. Heh, almost like the one in Spinal Tap..

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
    OOC:

Nice job! This thread is a really good idea!

The stone circle: Grey, yes a bit like that, only a lot smaller. Heh, almost like the one in Spinal Tap..
    OOC: Well, that was the best one I could find in a quick Google check. And yeah, good to know that at least three people are wanting to use the unholy temple of ritual human sacrifice in a world where evil gods not only exist but like to participate in wordly events. Sort of reminds me of the story of the opening of the Three Jolly Luck Take-away Fish Bar on the site of the old temple in Dagon Street on the night of the Winter solstice when it also happens to be a full moon...
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ovias waits for people to arrive, and then walks next to the fire and speakes his initial statement:

"Good evening to you all. We need to decide what to do about housing and, it seems, about leaderrship. I find farr morre imporrtant housing, so I will get rright to it. We have not find any apprropiate place for it. Building close to the lake, while convenient, given the amount of waste we generrate, is a fast way to foul the waterrs we have to drrink."

Pausing for air, he continues, "Some have suggested a hilltop with a stone cirrcle, but that sounds to me like a rreligious place, and if therre arre indeed locals, I do not think it wise to trransforrm theirr sacrred offerrings place into housing. They would likely take it the wrrong way. So would I, and I will not have any parrt of it. Now, I have yet to see it forr myself, but I will soon, time perrmiting, so if it turrns to be differrent frrom what I picturre, I rreserrve my rright to change my mind."

"So, the issue rremains: we have slowly accumulated the rresourrces to build housing, but we have nowherre to put it. Master Currunda would prreferr it if we did not cut down trrees, but being rrealistic we would have to crreate ourr own clearring. I have not explorred, so I will gladly hearr frrom those that know the terrain. Wherre can we build, that has the space forr a common house and is not too farr frrom sea orr frresh waterr, but not too close to this one eitherr? The answer so farr is nowherre, as farr as I have hearrd frrom explorrers, and I'd rratherr not commit to a bad place now if therre is a good place coming. We still may have some time beforre we trruly need the rrefuge."

"On the issue of leaderrship, I prropose Masterr Himmerrharrdt and Mara Herrbswife, forr rreasons of my own. Make of that what you will. Howeverr, I do not believe they should make all decisions. So farr we have done well to decide as a grroup, and I believe we can continue to do so. They would be Arrbitrrers, as we call them amongst dwarrves, rratherr than Directorrs."

With those final words, Ovias sits down, waiting for others to make their own proposals.
    Mara Herbswife

After waiting a moment to see if anyone else would speak, Mara stood. Looking at the survivors - less than half the number of souls who set out on the ship - Mara met each person's eyes as she spoke.

"Thank you all for coming. It has been a trying week, and I'm sure many of you would rather be sleeping. However, as Ovias mentioned, there are pressing issues of housing and leadership which concern all of us.

"I agree with Ovias' suggestion as to the nature of the leadership positions. Rather than one or two people, however, I suggest that we give three persons that power. A single person in power may become biased and fail to make decisions in the interest of the group as a whole. Two people may disagree about the best path and become unable to reach any decision. A group of three is small enough to reach decisions quickly and large enough to ensure decisions will benefit all the survivors.

"I'm flattered that Ovias believes I would be a good candidate for such responsibility, but I disagree. I suggest that the three Arbitrers be Master Himmerhardt, the wise man who called for this meeting, Master Imbrallius, the good clerk who has been keeping track of our supplies, and Ovias Greybeard, the person who has been organizing our efforts at survival here since we arrived.

"As for the question of where to build our shelter, I have little opinion, being neither an architect nor a worker of wood or stone. The stone circle Maria and Gil discovered today seems as though it would be ideal for transforming into a shelter, if only for our supplies, but I am hesitant to do anything until we discover whether the site is in fact some sort of religious location for natives we have yet to directly encounter.

"The pond is a good water source, and if nothing better presents itself we should build our shelter close to it, but I am concerned about contaminating the water. In fact, reguardless of where we ultimately end up, I wish to go and set aside areas to hygenically deal with our waste. Our current method of simply wandering into the forest and doing what is necessary will not suffice for long.

"My personal feeling is that we have not yet found an area adequate for our needs. My ideal would be to find a large, empty cave near a source of running water. Such a location would be easy to convert to adequate shelter, and running water would reduce most problems of contamination. However, since we have found neither caves nor running water so far, I suggest we continue looking. Any large amount of running water will have no choice but to let out in the sea. If we sent a party down the beach, we could determine both the general size of this island and whether it has any major sources of running water."

Realizing she had just made a speech, Mara returned to her seat abruptly, the firelight making her cheeks appear even brighter red than they actually were.

Spoiler
    Show
    Option - View - Reasons

Leadership

Ovias "Grey" - Strong Support - Good organizer, took charge at first
    Janson Himmerhardt - Support - Old and wise
    Imbrallius - Support - Good organizer
    Roostin - Weak Support - Has shown some leadership tendencies

Epswitch - Strong Oppose - Antagonizes almost everyone
    Mara - Oppose - Doesn't think she can handle the responsibility
    Gil - Weak Oppose - Can't give directions vocally
    All Others - No Opinion

For Housing Location

Stay on Beach - No Opinion
    Move to Clean Water Pond - Weak Support
    Move to Fire Clearing Hilltop - Weak Oppose
    Continue Searching - Support

For Housing Type

Continue Makeshift - Oppose
    Wooden Palisades - Support
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-27 at 01:30 PM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

After hearing Mara speak, Gil is now even more inclined to want her to lead. He is also generally favorable to the three leaders concept, and is more interested in Imbrallius, having heard her speak highly of him. Gil's opposition to Grey is also slightly reduced.

Based on the information that the fire is weeks old, Gil moved to Strong Support for occupying that area. To Gil, making contact may be the first step to continuing on the colony's mission.

10. - Top - End - #10

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember, everyone, the stone circle itself is only five feet in diameter. It's about the size of a small fire pit, for a camp fire or funeral pyre.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Imbrallius

Waiting patiently for his turn, Imbrallius stands up to speak. "Comrades, we have turned a terrible tragedy into life. We have survived here for one week, no easy feat, because we have worked together. I ask that no matter what, we continue together in the name of unity. No problem is so great that our combined wills and efforts cannot address it."

"Now, onto business. We must give ourselves a more permanent dwelling. The beach's ground is too weak to support buildings, and the firepit on the hill suggests that it is a place for natives to pray or to deal with their dead. I cannot support these plans as they would potentially lead to the deaths of many. Ideally, we would find running water to base our new settlement on, but if that is the case, we must continue with our temporary housing until such a location makes itself available to us. Moving toward the pond could also be considered a temporary measure, but I've little doubt that others, whether beast or native, also use this pond as a water source."

"For resources, I have done the tallying of our resources, we may also wish to distribute the resources of the recently deceased. My suggestion is to appoint someone in charge of distributing resources fairly and equitably, and keep most things for common use. I volunteer for the position, if it will be so."

"Lastly, in the issue of leadership, I am honored that some of you think of me so highly. I've no experience in leadership matters, I was supposed to be a minor town hall functionary, not a mayor. I will strive to be a productive member of the Arbiter Council putting the interests of ourselves at the forefront, and promise to hear your concerns and voice them to the Council, if you would have me. In my opinion, Master Greybeard and Master Himmerhardt make excellent canididates, and I fully support them as members of the council. Miss Herbswife, I believe you would also make an excellent leader, and hope that you both reconsider your reluctance for the position as well as believe more completely in your exceptional abilities."
    Imbrallius looks at each of the three candidates he proposed with a smile and nod.

Spoiler
    Show

Members of the Arbiter Council
    Ovias Greybeard - Strong Support - Has proven himself effective thus far.
    Imbrallius - Support - Believes he would make an excellent leader.
    Mara - Weak Support - Likes her practicality, doesn't want to give her the position if she doesn't want it.
    Himmerhardt - Weak Support - Hasn't interacted with him much, believes in Ovias and Mara's recommendation. Would be support, but worried for his health.
    Roostin - Weak Support - If nothing else, gets the job done with a minimum of complaints. Heard that he had decent initative on his own, but has not directly witnessed it. Believes he would make a fine delegate for a small group.
    Tano - Weak Support - Works actively for the good of the whole.

Epswitch - Strongly Oppose - Needlessly antagonistic and selfish. Doesn't want to give someone power if he'd misuse it.
    Gil - Oppose - Cannot vocalize thoughts. Makes debate and deliberation impossible.
    All others - Weak Oppose - If they haven't shown the leadership initative now, they might not be good as leaders.

Housing
    Stay on the Beach - Weak Oppose - It's a good temporary measure, but storms will come soon
    Move to Clean Water Pond - Weak Support - A very good temporary measure.
    Move to Hilltop - Oppose - The last thing Imbrallius thinks the colony needs are angry natives.
    Search for a Better Location - Support - The most important things are location, location, location.

Continue Makeshift Housing - Oppose - As a temporary measure, it's worked so far. But permanently, absolutely not.
    Wooden Palisades - Support - It will be much better than what they have and take a little effort, but the long-term benefits are great until they can build actual buildings.
    Stone Construction - Weak Oppose - Believes the stone would take too long to work to be useful, prefers to have it used to help reinforce.
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-02-26 at 10:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"I would like to make it heard that I support Ovias, Imbrallius, and Mister Himmerhardt for the positions as leaders. Ovias has already shown great leadership skills and was quick to get everyone busy when we first arrived here, and more importantly, everyone followed him and did as he said. Imbrallius has shown that he is smart, well prepared, and has planned ahead and kept close tracks on what is going on. Mister Himmerhardt has somthing that none of us have, Experience. Mister Himmerhardt has lived longer than any of us here, seen more than any of us here, experienced more than any of us here, For his qualities of insight, wisdom, and experience I think he would make a great addition to the leadership of this island." He finishes, seeming unusaly vocal and charismatic, you can only assume he has had this "speech" prepared for quite some time.

"This aside, somthing else, a task, I would like to suggest." He glances around at the faces of his listeners. "If, by a stroke of luck we have been stranded on a island already inhabited by civilised people, we can all be assured that there is one thing that they will have that we can look for easily, a port. I would like to suggest that some of us take some food and supplies and then walk down the beach, following it for perhaps a day or two and at worst they find nothing and head back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Option - View - Reasons
    Leadership
    Himmerhardt - Support - See above
    Ovias "Grey" - Strong Support - See above
    Mara - Support - Has shown leadership abilities even in times of stress and panic.
    Imbrallius - Strong Support - Smart, Practical, Prepared, See above.

For Housing Location
    Stay on Beach - Oppose - Can't build on sand.
    Move to Clean Water Pond - Mild Support - Practical, but others have expressed a risk of contamination
    Move to Fire Clearing Hilltop - Strong Oppose - Dont wana annoy the natives
    Continue Searching - Support
    Prepare a Clearing - Support - we will need to cut down trees for wood, so lets make a clearing at the same time.

For Housing Type
    Wooden Palisades - Strong Support - Easy, Quick, and Practical
    Stone Construction - Mild Oppose - Alot of long, rather tedious work, perhaps at a later time.
    Last edited by Yeril; 2008-02-27 at 02:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

{{ I'm a bit lost here, but want to voice his opinion... especially on the camp thing. I got the impression we had already moved the camp to be near the water source.. so I'm a bit confused about the discussion. }}

Epswitch doesn't care who claims to be the leader because he isn't the sort of person to be lead. Neither does he want people to complain to him all the time. No thanks.

Leaders
    Spoiler
    Show

Ben - Opposed - Too Violent
    Brady - Okay - Don't know much about him
    Elias - Okay - Don't know much about him
    Epswitch - Strong Opposed - Don't want to have to deal with people whining.
    Eric - Okay - Don't know much about him
    Feln - Okay - Don't know much about him
    Gil - Okay - Seems fine
    Imbrallius - Opposed - Too isolated, doesn't get involved.
    Janson - Opposed - the writing guy? Come on.
    Joseph - Okay - Seems fine
    Larry - FAVOR - Seems perfect.

Epswitch can't tell these two apart, so they both get a bad rep.
    Mara - Strong Opposed - too emotional, possibly not right in the head.
    Maria - Strong Opposed - too emotional, possibly not right in the head.

Ovias - Strong Opposed - Stone this and Stone that.. do we really want to live under dwarven law?
    Ray - Okay - Don't know much about him
    Roostin - Strong Opposed - It is partially his fault that we are here.
    Tano - Okay - Don't know much about him
    Zavulon - Opposed - Orcs can't be trusted.

For Housing Location
    Spoiler
    Show

Move back to Beach - Strongly Opposed
    Stay at Clean Water Pond - Support - No point in moving again
    Move to Fire Clearing Hilltop - No Opinon - I don't know anything about this, I've been hunting piggies. Hilltops are good, but lack water which we need everyday.
    Continue Searching - Strong FAVOR - Maybe find an existing community.

For Housing Type
    Spoiler
    Show

Continue Makeshift - For now, but we should build a house or 3 eventually.
    Wooden Palisades - Maybe eventually, what do we have to worry about?
    Stone Construction - Too time consuming, too difficult to maintain, too heavy
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-02-27 at 05:05 PM.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Yeril View Post
    [COLOR="Green"]... Mister Himmerhardt has somthing that none of us have, Experience. Mister Himmerhardt has lived longer than any of us here, seen more than any of us here, experienced more than any of us here...
    Tano

Tano coughed lightly into the back of his hand at mention of the human's age. When an opportunity to speak presented itself, he said, "I'm really not sure why we need to worry about 'leadership' at all. Things seem to be progressing just fine in that vein: when someone has a good idea, we cooperate. As far as a camp site, wherever it is, it should be near the sea so we can keep an eye on the life boats. And as I said to Master Greybeard before, I'm not opposed to harvesting what we need from the forest. I'm opposed to waste, and unnecessary work."

15. - Top - End - #15

Procedural OOC:

I'm going to insist we end this discussion by 24hrs from this post time. We should have decent decisions/indecision made, and the longer we discuss, the more difficult it is to stay semi-chronological.

As it is we're discussing moving to the pond while Epswitch is dealing with living alone at the pond.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

After hearing the halfling, Ovias takes the word again:
    "Why arre you even herre, halfling? You have alrready stated you will neitherr collaborrate in the buildings norr listen to any voice but yourr own, and do not want to lead - not that anyone herre would want you in that position eitherr. Morreoverr, you neitherr sharre norr help the grroup, but have chosen to live elsewherre. You have no business in this meeting, and yourr opinions so farr clearrly say as much."

"Grraverr yet, you volunteerred forr watch duty, then abandoned the duty without letting anyone else know. You put the grroup in dangerr for no rreason - parrticularrly since no vow tied you, all you had to do was let us know and a substitute would've been found. If we werre in dwarrven land, you would be hung to death. I believe many human lands would do similarrly - consider yourrself lucky you arre not being punished forr yourr decision. That said, I now considerr you <Persona Non Grata>, an undesirrable perrson. I will have nothing furrtherr to do with you, and call to everryone else to do samewise."

Deliberately turning his back to him, Ovias addresses the rest of the gathered, "This meeting grrows long. We have yet to decide much, but we have yet to listen to everyone. Several of you have considered me for Arrbitrrerr, and I am honourred by yourr trrust. If you feel that you can listen to a dwarrf, I will be pleased to accept."

"Also, afterr listening to yourr worrds, I am now hoping that the cliffs to the east will have caves we can use, but I am not one to sit and hope. I prropose we starrt a deliberrate efforrt to clearr a section of forrest, away frrom the cirrcle - if it is rreligious, the furrtherr the betterr - and rreasonably close to both clean waterr and sea. If we find a cave, orr a betterr place, we can rreconsiderr it. If not, we will have a place rready."

"Finally, I want to note that severral of you speak against stone building. I am the best, likely the only, builderr in the grroup. We have a ship carrpenterr and a bowyerr, but only I have built housing. Indeed, that was the rreason I was called to this expedition! I will worrk fasterr with stone than with wood, and in any case, the best way is a mix of both, since we do not have so much rresourrce of any one kind to build entirrely with it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by smartaleq View Post
    Procedural OOC:

I'm going to insist we end this discussion by 24hrs from this post time. We should have decent decisions/indecision made, and the longer we discuss, the more difficult it is to stay semi-chronological.
    I'll be PMing Zed's Dead in case he is not aware of this thread - we really are mostly missing his input. That said, we are already jumping around quite a bit in IC anyway, so taking a few days with this shouldn't be a problem. DM did say to have a decision by yesterday, though, which does worry me.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-02-28 at 03:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

After hearing the halfling, Ovias takes the word again:
    "Why arre you even herre, halfling? You have alrready stated you will neitherr collaborrate in the buildings norr listen to any voice but yourr own, and do not want to lead - not that anyone herre would want you in that position eitherr. Morreoverr, you neitherr sharre norr help the grroup, but have chosen to live elsewherre. You have no business in this meeting, and yourr opinions so farr clearrly say as much."

"Grraverr yet, you volunteerred forr watch duty, then abandoned the duty without letting anyone else know. You put the grroup in dangerr for no rreason - parrticularrly since no vow tied you, all you had to do was let us know and a substitute would've been found. If we werre in dwarrven land, you would be hung to death. I believe many human lands would do similarrly - consider yourrself lucky you arre not being punished forr yourr decision. That said, I now considerr you <Persona Non Grata>, an undesirrable perrson. I will have nothing furrtherr to do with you, and call to everryone else to do samewise."

Deliberately turning his back to him, Ovias addresses the rest of the gathered,
    Hearing this acid laced diatribe directed at Epswitch, Gil jumpst to his feet and kicks sand at the fire to draw everyones attention. As Ovias Greybeard slowly turns to him, Gil gives him a pointed glare. Gil looks around the campfire, judging the reactions of everyone faces to Ovias's speech. He sees some faces in quiet agreement with Ovias, but not everyone wholeheartedly agrees with the Dwarf to the letter. Gil, staring again at Ovias, makes his two hands into a single ball, and then throws them apart, as though an accusation.

Turning to look at Epswitch, Gil points at the Halfling, and then points his thumb over his shoulder "Let's Go". Gil looks to Mara, and gives her an encouraging smile, muted by his pained countenance. He looks to Maria, points to the woods, and nods - as an invitation. Gil then turns, and heavily walks away.

He goes to collect his things, two days of food from the berries he and Maria had picked, and a piece of cloth for tenting, and then trudges off into the woods towards the pond where Epswitch has his tent.

To Imbrallius
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you come to stop me from taking those items, you'll need to leave the circle to do so. If you do, I'll leave without an argument or the items

To Epswitch/Maria/Others who might leave
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you also leave in protest, I will assist in carrying gear, etc.

18. - Top - End - #18

Devil

To Gil
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you go near the items, Imbrallius will shout a warning at you, something along the lines of: "Do not steal anything. Theft is a serious crime." If you continue, he will ask a few people to come with him and stop the theft of items.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Janson Himmerhardt, venerable human writer

Janson rises slowly from the ground where he has been sitting cross-legged for the entire length of the meeting. Some might have thought he was sleeping, he was so still, but he is surprisingly energetic when he rises.

He calls out to those leaving.

Wait! We can still make this right!

I have listened long, and heard you all. There must be strong leadership here for us to survive. Of that, the majority of us are in agreement.

I believe a leader should serve as someone who senses the general will of the people and uses their support to protect and direct the community.

I am honored by your nominations for leadership. However, I propose another option, besides that of the triumverate. It seems to me that two leaders have already emerged here, and we would be foolish not to support them in their efforts to make this island liveable.

Master Greybeard has a knack for building and working. He naturally organizes those who build and who work. Those who will work are drawn to him because he leads by example.

Mara Herbswife is a kind, caring, and yet strong-willed woman. She has made many necessary decisions already, and she is willing to do what she says she will do. We are also drawn to her for her knowledge and willingness to take a stand for practicality above all else.

My proposition is this: Master Greybeard should make decisions regarding all matters regarding the construction and maintenance of our shelter and any other public works we decide to create or labors we decide to undertake.

Mara Herbswife should make decisions regarding the arrangements of living here in our little community, based on both her knowledge of the body and her knowledge of the heart.

I, myself, do not wish to don the mantle of authority, but I will freely give my advice to any who wish it, whether leader or worker. I will also keep a record of the events of our lives here, as long as I am able.

Janson Himmerhardt sits back in his place, and is silent.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-02-28 at 04:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    To Gil
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you go near the items, Imbrallius will shout a warning at you, something along the lines of: "Do not steal anything. Theft is a serious crime." If you continue, he will ask a few people to come with him and stop the theft of items.
    As Gil does not consider the division of food stocks equitably to involved participants to be stealing, he will continue to pack up both his belongings and the two days supply of berries he helped gather with Maria (Note that the two of them had collected food for 3 people while foraging, so Gil would be taking things that he had recently put 'in' to the stocks)
    Last edited by smartaleq; 2008-02-28 at 05:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

As Gil does not consider the division of food stocks equitably to involved participants to be stealing, he will continue to pack up both his belongings and the two days supply of berries he helped gather with Maria (Note that the two of them had collected food for 3 people while foraging, so Gil would be taking things that he had recently put 'in' to the stocks)
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, since you failed the aid another check DC10 (you rolled a 2), Maria only collected food for two people, and you were in the way rather than help. At best, and only if she allows it, you'd be right to take one day's worth of food, and that's by stretching the definition of "helped" and "yours":

Pardon me. Gil will attempt to [roll0](2) Maria
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-02-28 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added link to refered post

22. - Top - End - #22

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, since you failed the aid another check DC10 (you rolled a 2), Maria only collected food for two people, and you were in the way rather than help. At best, and only if she allows it, you'd be right to take one day's worth of food, and that's by stretching the definition of "helped" and "yours"
    Noted

Spoiler
    Show
    accompanying could qualify as helped, and as haven't defined the socialist-economy to be "one big pile" or "everyone shares when asked", Gil takes the approach that he brought two rations into the camp, he should leave with similar. I'm hoping this discussion is mooted by another character leaving as well.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

Epswitch tries to control a laugh while the fat Dwarf rambles on and on. Once allowed to speak, Epswitch says, "I am hear to voice my opinion, the same as all the others. Are you saying my opinion is not welcome? I'm so glad to see you are open to hearing opposing opinions, that is a mark of a good leader. Oh wait..."

Epswitch raises an eyebrow and says, "True, I did not show up to watch you sleep, but neither did you ever come to watch me sleep. In fact, I spent a week and half helping you and the group with nightly watches, gaining nothing in return. I have choosen to live at what I consider a better location. I have not claimed the land as my own and welcome anyone who wishes to live there. The guard shift was doubled up, so no one was unattended and the guard, if he felt that he was incapable of carrying out his duties should have woken up someone to help."

Epswitch then adds, "We are not in dwarven lands, nor are we in human lands. You have no divine providence or any other acknowledged power to give you the right to command me around. I do not call you king, nor would I call you Arrbitrrerr. You do not know how to consider facts and situations and keep them separate from your feelings and friendships."

Epswitch finally adds, "Finally, I do provide a service. I am willing to trade. Communal societies do not work. Someone always feels slighted. I have some possessions and skills which I am willing to barter. If you anyone needs my help, I am willing to trade. I do not give things away, nor will I just take them even if I think it is right." Epswitch turns to walk away and then adds, "I thank you all for listening. You know my opinion. The group can decide whatever they wish."

Epswitch walks off, back towards the lake. He does swing by the pile of 'found' stuff from the shipwreck. He doesn't take anything, but makes plans to return tomorrow with food to trade.

[edit]
    Not to mention risking my life so that y'all can eat pork.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-02-28 at 05:27 PM.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Zed's Dead View Post

Janson rises slowly from the ground where he has been sitting cross-legged for the entire length of the meeting. Some might have thought he was sleeping, he was so still, but he is surprisingly energetic when he rises.

He calls out to those leaving.

Wait! We can still make this right!

I have listened long, and heard you all. There must be strong leadership here for us to survive. Of that, the majority of us are in agreement.

I believe a leader should serve as someone who senses the general will of the people and uses their support to protect and direct the community.

I am honored by your nominations for leadership. However, I propose another option, besides that of the triumverate. It seems to me that two leaders have already emerged here, and we would be foolish not to support them in their efforts to make this island liveable.

Master Greybeard has a knack for building and working. He naturally organizes those who build and who work. Those who will work are drawn to him because he leads by example.

Mara Herbswife is a kind, caring, and yet strong-willed woman. She has made many necessary decisions already, and she is willing to do what she says she will do. We are also drawn to her for her knowledge and willingness to take a stand for practicality above all else.

My proposition is this: Master Greybeard should make decisions regarding all matters regarding the construction and maintenance of our shelter and any other public works we decide to create or labors we decide to undertake.

Mara Herbswife should make decisions regarding the arrangements of living here in our little community, based on both her knowledge of the body and her knowledge of the heart.

I, myself, do not wish to don the mantle of authority, but I will freely give my advice to any who wish it, whether leader or worker. I will also keep a record of the events of our lives here, as long as I am able.

Janson Himmerhardt sits back in his place, and is silent.
    Mara Herbswife

When Gil smiled at her, encouraging her to join him, Mara had felt as though her heart was being squeezed, threatening to split in two even as the group was splitting. If only Ovias had not been so harsh! she thought in anguish. Though she had agreed with some of what he said, it was too severely delivered. She could understand why Gil was leaving, and half wished she could not. Indecision weighed on her - where did she belong? Where was she more needed? The pressure eased a bit when Master Himmerhardt began to speak, but she could see that the others were not convinced. Her previous reluctance to make speeches forgotten, she stood and addressed those who were preparing to leave the fire, the pain in her voice evident as she spoke on the heels of Master Himmerhardt's words.

"Please, reconsider! I understand that harsh words have been spoken, and once said they cannot be unsaid. But think! Our chances of survival lessen each time one of us leaves. At the very least, if you feel you must go, do not go angrily, unwilling to work with those of us who remain. To make such a decision may truely doom us all.

"I... I cannot go, though my heart cries out. I must remain with the larger group, where my skills are more likely to be needed. Be assured that should any of you who leave be wounded, I will care for you without need of a reward or payment - as I have been caring for all who needed my services since we washed up on this island. Perhaps in time this rift will heal."
    Turning to the rest of the group, she continued wearily, resignation weighing heavily in each word.

"I have made my opinions known. If you wish me to have some sort of power or take some sort of leadership, so be it. Otherwise I will simply continue as I have, giving advice and aid where I can."

With that Mara sat back down, burying her face in her hands.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Tano

When Ovias started talking about hanging watchmen who didn't show up to their watch, Tano's face darkened. He waited for the conversation to die again, then added, "And this is exactly why I oppose formal leadership. And not to say what the halfling did was right, but it was the previous watch that left without a proper relief that is truly at fault. Now, no offense to Master Himmerhardt, but I've seen a few more seasons than he, and the path he recommends I fear will not work. I for one will not undertake anything I judge to be ill advised. Giving anyone here formal authority over me is one of those things. If that makes me an outcast, so be it. I can gather food for myself if I must."

Spoiler
    Show
    I may have been that previous watch, but being that we skipped to the morning before I realized what was going on, I didn't make a retroactive post.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Tano

When Ovias started talking about hanging watchmen who didn't show up to their watch, Tano's face darkened. He waited for the conversation to die again, then added, "And this is exactly why I oppose formal leadership. And not to say what the halfling did was right, but it was the previous watch that left without a proper relief that is truly at fault. Now, no offense to Master Himmerhardt, but I've seen a few more seasons than he, and the path he recommends I fear will not work. I for one will not undertake anything I judge to be ill advised. Giving anyone here formal authority over me is one of those things. If that makes me an outcast, so be it. I can gather food for myself if I must."

Spoiler
    Show
    I may have been that previous watch, but being that we skipped to the morning before I realized what was going on, I didn't make a retroactive post.
    "Which is prrecisely why no-one is suggesting forrmal leaderrship, elf", answers Ovias, "but centrral coorrdination. Say Imbrrallius is chosen, and he deterrmines that to get housing constrructed two must worrk on the constrruction whilst thrree otherrs prrovide those two with materrials, and at least fourr otherrs gatherr food. You arre frree to choose to help orr not, and so long as you do not, say, prromise to help and then do not like the halfling did, noone will think less of you."

"Let us be clearr about this: we arre in a verry big mess. Some of you arre optimistic about otherr inhabitants to the island being frriendly, but a society that burrns humanoids and leaves theirr bones uninterred does not sound frriendly to me. We have no way off this place by sea as farr as we know, and we don't even know if we arre in an island orr not. In the best of times, to continue to feed ourrselves we need about a thirrd of ourr numberrs, and if we also want to everr get out of this place, the rrest of us need to be coorrdinated. Without a centrral figurre, we will continue like the last week to each do ourr own thing, accomplishing close to nothing. If instead we each go ourr own way, like severral herre seem rready to do, we will all be busy trrying to gatherr food and we will neverr leave."

"I have made my choice, and I will help as I have done so farr, to crreate as much as I can to allow us to surrvive. I, unlike the halfling, ask for no payment norr expect anything in rreturn. I rrequirre food, of courrse, but if therre is not enough I can prrovide forr myself. I have trried to do what is best forr the grroup, but without someone prroviding overview guidance, all my efforts, single as they arre, will be forr naught. Whetherr that perrson is me or Mara or Imbrrallius is of little rrelevance, so long as that perrson will, indeed, trry to do what is best."

"It is, and has always been , yourr choice. But it is a choice you must make, because if not we will all die herre, neverr again seeing anything but whateverr dangerrs this savage land brrings"

Tired from the fruitless discusion, Ovias walks away from the fire. Picking up one of the stones he had worked so far to locate, he starts to shape it. He had been optimistic about the others at the start, but clearly the fundamental human -and elven- tendency to individuality was returning. It was up to them, and Ovias was certain he could do no more than what he had already done to try and make them see what had to be done.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

to Imbrallius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Janson walks over to Imbrallius.

For what it's worth, I am quite impressed with your willingness and ability to take care of so many details with such alacrity. I'm even more impressed with the way you dealt with Epswitch. This is no place or time for selfishness. He'll come around when his belly is empty and he hears bumps in the night.

I'd hope that whether you become leader or no, I see your abilities and mark them as some of the most important for our daily survival. Please let me know if I can help you in any way. I have many parchment sheets, and if we bound them somehow, they could be a kind of ledger for you.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-02-28 at 07:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Tano

As Ovias walked off, Tano said, "Well, I for one haven't heard a single 'coordination' proposal designed to get us off this island, and I won't agree to one without examining it. If anyone has such a plan, let's hear it. I think we have sufficient shelter, and have proven we can bring in enough food to feed ourselves. That leaves only the leaving."

29. - Top - End - #29

Maria stands and states, "I think that Mara and Ovias would be the best leaders, but only if they consult with each other before decisions are made. I'm going to spend most of this week exploring with Gil. I will sleep in a tree until I think that one camp or the other is in the right. I will still provide information to both camps and excess food to the larger camp, but I'm more at home in the forest, away from conflict. Good night to you all."

Before leaving, Maria lightens her pack by dumping all 318 of her copper pieces down next to the camp fire. "In case anyone ever makes a forge."

"I will still take nightly watch guarding the beach camp. I assume it will remain largest."

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria finds as large of a tree as she can between the camp on the beach and the one at the fresh water. In her free time when she isn't hunting, foraging, and exploring, she'll be building herself a tree house lean-to up in the tree. She'll help Gil assemble one in the same tree or a nearby one if he chooses to be unaligned as she is.
    Last edited by jagadaishio; 2008-02-28 at 07:53 PM.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

LISTEN!

The voice eminating from the aging man belies his frame. He begins walking around the circle, calling out to all within earshot, even those who have already walked away.

ALL OF YOU MUST LISTEN TO YOURSELVES! DIVIDED, WE DIE! Only together will we have a chance to live! If natives attack, WE MUST BE READY! If foul weather force us to ration or extend our foraging, WE MUST BE READY! If we are to spend months, years, or even decades here, WE MUST PREPARE! NOBODY'S FEELINGS ARE IMPORTANT! It is only the needs of the whole which must be considered.

I nominated Greybeard and Herbswife not because I want them to dominate me! I chafe at the idea of someone--anyone--telling me what to do! But if we don't band together and make ourselves safe, WE WILL DIE HERE!

I have already lived my threescore and ten. But most of you haven't! And you, elf. Considering the fact that your people are renowned for their incredible perception, you haven't heard the tone of my speech--I believe we need leaders. Serving at the WILL of the people. Coordinating tasks that the survivors of the fire see a need to do! Are you going to tell me that the elves have no leadership? That every elf is an island unto himself? No! Your tree-houses would never have been built, were that the case. You'd still be hunting in the woods, as we are, living in makeshift huts.

YOU MUST ASK YOURSELF THIS: DO YOU WANT CIVILIZATION, OR DO YOU WANT SAVAGERY?

DO YOU WANT TO SURVIVE, OR DO YOU WANT TO DIE?

DO YOU WANT TO BE PEOPLE OR ANIMALS?

At that, Janson dropped to his knees, his breath coming in quick gasps.