New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Hours View Post
    Did you know? All truth is subject to the viewer's perspective.

By the looks of it, see the truth is more like 'Agree with me: Dominic.'

Yes, but as Mookie stand-in: Student Version later revealed, all these seers were given their visions on the same day, hinting at some divine truth beyond truth. "The Truth" if you will. The world, the universe, god, truth, all, one, and it is Dominic.

I really stretched for that reference. :V

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

And just a couple of pages ago I was wondering about why Dom's signature spell hadn't been used all this time.

Why didn't Dom just go around See-the-Truthing everyone in town about Celesto, Snuggly, and King DJ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Mookie, sweetie, it was never dramatic. Ever. And it has gotten old.
    Well, it typically helped identify where you were in the story arc when it was used. So that's something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    And just a couple of pages ago I was wondering about why Dom's signature spell hadn't been used all this time.

Why didn't Dom just go around See-the-Truthing everyone in town about Celesto, Snuggly, and King DJ?
    It'd lose its dramatic effectiveness and get old really fast. He has a little bit of bard in him, after all.

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Oh why couldn't Dominic stick with the Violent Ultimatum? At least that's a predictable asspull.
    Looks like we have our own oracle for hire, folks.
    See the truth reminds me of thenHithchikers guide movie point-of-view gun. Also, Granny weather wax does something similar.

6. - Top - End - #306

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Oh why couldn't Dominic stick with the Violent Ultimatum? At least that's a predictable asspull.
    Because that's not Dominic's card. This is.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-08-17 at 07:05 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

So Dominic has a Sword of Truth now? Well I understand there are more than a few similarities between Dom and that series' main character.

8. - Top - End - #308

That was so far past stupid I dont even know where to begin. Yesterdays comic was just made totally pointless, unless tomorrows involves some sort of battle between him and celesto. The fact that he just did an AREA OF EFFECT See The Truth spell just makes it even sillier. My best guess? He is using that spell to destroy all the minisnugs and drag celesto out of wherever he is hiding. Being a nonspecific attack, the aoe see the truth didnt grant celestro a near mind breaking epiphany, it just weakened him and brought him out of hiding. My next best guess? It had some unforeseen effects in the arena.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    My next best guess? It had some unforeseen effects in the arena.
    I love the idea of the ultimate seer attack having unforseen effects.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Wouldnt be the first time he has screwed up. Also, it would be easy to arrange, celesto did it to him before he went all chaos championish, so it wouldnt be too hard to take a wounded, drained, probably tired after that last move dominic, and trick him into messing up somehow.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    But that would mean that The Dom was not perfect, ergo it can not be.

Also, does this count as beamspam?
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Because that's not Dominic's card. This is.
    Heh, I like to think of him as some Nicol Bolas wanna be.

I see Dominic decided to go for something more... "Brilliant" instead. Well, at least it fits with his mana alignment I guess.

So... what truth is there to see exactly? That Chance might not become a jerk? That Celestro's plan might not work? The tentacles will destroy Celstro's humanity? The dude doesn't seem like he'd care...
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2011-08-17 at 11:15 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It had some unforeseen effects in the arena.
    Celesto will strengthen and manipulate the effect allowing him to brainwash the people in the arena and let them "see the truth" about the King and Snuggly!

It would be interesting to know if it's an mindscape only aoe or if it also affects his surroundings. Well I guess whatever allows Mookie to do something he considers cool.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

What truth? What brilliant insight could Dominic possibly impart here? Celesto isn't being somehow misled here; he believes that killing this boy is a necessary step in the battle against the Beast, not that it's the right thing to do.
    Last edited by FoE; 2011-08-17 at 11:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315

So he will see the truth, that his actions are wrong, and all he is doing is causing more pain and misery yadda yadda whatever. Itll probably have little real effect on him.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FoE View Post
    What truth? What brilliant insight could Dominic possibly impart here? Celesto isn't being somehow misled here; he believes that killing this boy is a necessary step in the battle against the Beast, not that it's the right thing to do.
    "Killing is WRONG Celesto."
    "My God you're right"

17. - Top - End - #317

I dunno, maybe the truth that Celesto's just using selective scrying and his typical worldview to justify murdering an innocent kid because it's convenient to the bigger plan? I don't see how confronting Celesto with that is going to help, though, since Celesto doesn't see anything WRONG with the way he acts.

Although if this confrontation renders my "The Beast Indoctrinates its enemies and Dominic can only win by breaking that effect" prediction canon, I am going to laugh and laugh.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Okay here's the thing you need to understand.

HUMANS -> Responsible for everything that's gone wrong with orcs. Everything. No exceptions.
    HUMANS -> Make the light:good :: dark:bad distinction.
    SPIRIT FATHER -> Makes the light:good :: dark:bad distinction.

Spirit Father is evil because he has a human way of thinking.

[. . .]

*Oracle Hunter and Domochevsky have some rather excellent fanfiction about how you can have white magic not be the best thing to be using at all times, but theirs is excellent Maltak fanfiction in general, and you end up with an orcish society that makes sense, and then we're getting pretty far off the rails from the adventures of Dominic Deegan.

Well, now that makes more sense than anything Mookie ever wrote.

Truly, I long for a day when that man will start paying attention to his own comic, instead of letting everything to the good-will of his readers.
    Last edited by Dandria; 2011-08-19 at 07:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319

Every time I look at the current page, I can't help but find the last (double-size) panel is weird. It's those rings. They're too circular. Like Mookie, after all these years of neglecting the ruler, just discovered calipers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #320

"Please refer to the truth." Oh, Dominikudigan, you're so wacky...
    LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #321

Griffon

The power of belief is important in mindscapes. Dominic used to believe (I'm not going to bother with that one, someone else has already beaten me to it several times ) he was excellent at swinging around a pointy bit of metal in one hand....

So how does that help him to make an 8ft vertical jump just like all of the other swordsmen have been making out of no where?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

See the comic!

Dominikudigan:
    Spoiler
    Show

So... is this bingo?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know; the original strip didn't make much sense, but I have problems seeing any more sense in Dominickudigan. It's probably the shaky grammar.

by the way what does Dominic mean with "before [he] becomes a beast" in panel 3? Celesto is already a serial killer who tried to murder a little boy, there isn't much room for any further brutalisation. Or does he mean that Celesto becomes a mindless killing machine? There is no hint to assume that will happen. Or is he referring to The Beast? That would be ironic since The Beast became more and more human. Not to mention that Dominic knows nothing about the motivations of The Beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I don't know either. Both the actual strip and Dominikudigan make absolutely no sense, but the latter is not as aggressively nonsensical as that thing Mookie somehow deemed fit for another fate than being burnt in shame, for reasons that I understand about as well as this comic's magic system.

So, maybe being less of an affront against common sense counts?

24. - Top - End - #324

Dominic old boy

You're just kind of running around in a huge open space, yelling to an opponent that you can't see. Now, even in Maltak, it was difficult to see people from more than ten feet away on a level plain (maybe all of Maltak was meant to be a night scene?), but you're fighting a wizard. A wizard who a) is absolutely crazy, and b) has actually tried to kill you before. I guess you could paint a bigger target on your back, but you'd have to really try.

On the other hand, Celesto is a Villain, so maybe he's too dishonorable to nail you right in the beanbag while your back's turned, as a hero is wont to do.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

25. - Top - End - #325

Ugh, Mookie doesn't know how drama works. Dominic rarely using STT because Mookie thinks it's "dramatic" when he finally does is just stupid, and it also raises the question as to why Dominic doesn't spam it all over the place. If he needed a good reason, there should be some sort of drawback to using STT, maybe kittens and babies die or something. That would make it dramatic when he's finally forced to use it because there's some sort of negative impact from his actions.

Take Lina from Slayers for example, there's a reason why she never used Giga Slave, because it could potentially destroy the world, and she only had to because Gourry's life was on the line.

But obviously Mookie is allergic to negative impacts and bad things happening to his characters. If that's the case he shouldn't write "dramatic" stories to begin with.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2011-08-17 at 05:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

Holy mustache, it's true! He makes his characters do stuff for reasons he thinks are narratively cool, then forgets to give them an in-universe reason to justify it!

Why, Mookie, just... why. You learned more about publishing stuff than actual writing (not to mention art).

27. - Top - End - #327

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Ugh, Mookie doesn't know how drama works. Dominic rarely using STT because Mookie thinks it's "dramatic" when he finally does is just stupid, and it also raises the question as to why Dominic doesn't spam it all over the place. If he needed a good reason, there should be some sort of drawback to using STT, maybe kittens and babies die or something. That would make it dramatic when he's finally forced to use it because there's some sort of negative impact from his actions.

Take Lina from Slayers for example, there's a reason why she never used Giga Slave, because it could potentially destroy the world, and she only had to because Gourry's life was on the line.

But obviously Mookie is allergic to negative impacts and bad things happening to his characters. If that's the case he shouldn't write "dramatic" stories to begin with.
    Or like black mage from 8-bit theater. Every time he uses his haduken, it destroys a certain amount of love in the universe. Of course, hes evil and enjoys that fact.

28. - Top - End - #328

GnomeWizardGuy

I thought "See the Truth" was Dominic's catchphrase, not the name of a spell. But given spells are named stuff like "Remove Curse" I can see I've been wilfully ignorant.

Isn't "See the Truth" an anti-mind control spell? What does he plan for it do here? I could see it working on illusions, but if those minisnugs are real enough to burst through Chance's chest then why would STT have an effect on them?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

See the comic!

Dominikudigan:
    Spoiler
    Show

So... is this bingo?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why did you check "Luna is useless"? I mean, she IS, but since she hasn't appeared at all this week (you were doing the weekly one, right?), that has to be more than just a free space.

Anyway . . . you know, if it was ever in question that STT was anything more than Dominic's mega-spell . . . OK, OK, I know that was never a possibility, but seriously, Mookie's no longer even pretending that it's anything other than just an "I Win" button. Didn't it used to, you know, wake people up from their delusions or something? Now it's just being . . . oh, you can see for yourself.

Also, where's his annoying third eye? I always thought it looked goofy, but goddammit, consistency!
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

30. - Top - End - #330

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Why did you check "Luna is useless"? I mean, she IS, but since she hasn't appeared at all this week (you were doing the weekly one, right?), that has to be more than just a free space.
    I'm doing a daily bingo, so I'm a little liberal about what each square represents.

"Luna is useless" because a) she's meant to be looking for Celesto at some art gallery somewhere but obviously isn't doing anything and b) (more importantly) usually when Dominic does his ridiculous outfit transformations in mindscapes he needs Luna to do some sort of power transfer from the outside. That was about half of what Luna did in the strip other than be miserable. Now Dominic has evolved beyond the need for such trivialities. Hence... Luna is useless.