New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread I

I agree generally with Jormengand, although I do take satisfaction in winning the contests, the feedback is much more important. Although, I'm not 100% certain that private voting discourages feedback, if it could I'd rather not do it. I agree that group think does seem to skew the votes, but that's less important than the feedback.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Most original, Most Likely to See Play and Best Use Of Theme (which is different from "Most related to" because cleverness and artistic license>blind obedience) are usually counted separately.
    Woops, my bad, shoulda looked it up

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    I would vastly prefer the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place votes to give points while the categories do not give points--only the top placement gets the award for that category.
    Hmm, that's an interesting idea... Anyone want to vote on it, or have a problem with it?

Well 3 in favor of public 1 against, so so far we'll go public voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I might drag myself out of retirement for this - looks like a fun theme. And it's been an age and a half since I've done some homebrewing.

Now, how literal do I want to be?
    Good luck if you enter!
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #93

HalfOrcPirate

Just posted the mini-o-mancer. A flexible minionmancer type prestige class that I wanted basically anyone to be able to enter and make use of while still retaining the flavor of the entry class through the micro focus. I need to write up some more micro focuses especially non class specific ones.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gawwy View Post
    Just posted the mini-o-mancer. A flexible minionmancer type prestige class that I wanted basically anyone to be able to enter and make use of while still retaining the flavor of the entry class through the micro focus. I need to write up some more micro focuses especially non class specific ones.
    Well, I have some overhaul suggestions. Instead of just being a flat stacking of features, it can integrate them with the minions. For example, precision damage getting a bonus based on HD of flanking minions, which covers Sneak Attack and Skirmish, alongside similar conditional bonus damage negated by critical hit immunity.

In general, granting abilities outright is better than just scaling them. Instead of just progressing class features, it can be conditional progression of a non-standard form. An extra spell slot or a few extra PP for each HD of minion, perhaps. Another dozen points of Crafting Reserve, or a bonus to skill checks. Building up the scaling by controlled HD is the way to go with this. This basically turns Micro Focus into a means of gaining lots of versatile power that's ultimately used best by having some of it yourself to begin with.

As-is, it's pretty lazy because it doesn't actually do anything interesting with granting scaling. You might as well take a page out of Legacy Champion and just have it give progression to pre-existing class features at those levels.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Sengmeng: Your singer of the forbidden song looks awesome, and my quibbles with it are going to be the ex-bard section .
    1) Debilitating Song should scale for the ex-bards
    2) Since they are sacrificing bard abilities, maybe do something like the blackguard, where an ex-paladin gets some unique abilities... Maybe a range increase and some other things related to the song?

Gawwy: I'm sorry, but I have to go with Morphic tide for this one... Also at later levels they should get the ability to rebuke those with levels and swarms... Making it scale with level (and possibly charisma?) of course.

Kaskus: You have some copy paste rubbish in your skill section.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Change log:

1- Extended range is now one single ability, at 4th level.
    2 - Ki-needles now also allow the Master of Needles to create a small amount of Fukimi-baris from his own ki each day. Added a "special connection" with monks and ninjas that now can spend 1 use of stunning fist or a point of ki pool to restore a small amount of these ki- fukimi-baris.

Soon (?) to come:

- Style feats for monks and ninjas with better options when dealing with this PrC.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so, I've gotten my graphing calculator out, and I've got two realistic options on the actual HD per caster level. Six gives a flat number at all levels for both "normal" limit and maximum push, but has the severe problem of number crunching. It makes per-HD Swarm stats hugely problematic because of how many there are. It causes a need for harsh Constitution penalties on the Swarm baseline to prevent utterly absurd health pools. But it has a very attractive feature in neatly lining up to 20 HD lower bound control at 5th level in the PRC. The 45 HD upper bound is a problem due to four or five Epic feats being available with unrestricted access to feats on the Swarms.

The alternative is four HD per CL, which neatly aligns Swarm damage with CL progression. This gives 13 HD for lower bound at level 5 and 30 HD for upper bound at level 5, which is a much less problematic three Epic feats. Using much less restrictive access becomes viable, as most of the problematic Epic feats require skill ranks and stats that can be pretty easily prevented, unlike with 45 HD enabling Epic Spellcasting the moment 9th level spells enter the playing field because of sheer HD making cross-class insufficient.

I'll go with four HD per CL, just because it makes the job of the restrictions on the feat access less problematic. And the casting progression will be a 3rd level feature, just to make sure people actually lose a caster level from the class. And have to suffer through a lost spell level if they're actually taking the levels through normal play. I made the entry requirements be really open-ended, to the point of basically letting any character with an outright ability to create nutrition, Sustenance Personal-range power included, and control swarms of vermin, Spider Swarm Improved Familiar option included, have entry to the PRC. Which means that CL progression is going to need to be absurdly open-ended, because it's going to have to cover as many kinds of ability as possible.

For now, I'm just covering the utter basics of the control method, Swarm statline, and Arcane and Divine casting. Feats will be level 4 or 5, because a potential ten extra feats, no matter the cost, is worth quite a bit. Currently, it's just the entry and skill information, and the post has been shifted to the template's format. Also putting down the abilities currently decided on onto the table, including Swarm HD limit...

Oh, by the way, Wasp and Dust Devil are still using placeholder names for class skills.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Sengmeng: Your singer of the forbidden song looks awesome, and my quibbles with it are going to be the ex-bard section .
    1) Debilitating Song should scale for the ex-bards
    2) Since they are sacrificing bard abilities, maybe do something like the blackguard, where an ex-paladin gets some unique abilities... Maybe a range increase and some other things related to the song?
    You're absolutely right. I thought advancing the casting and sneak attack would make for a balanced class, but it needs to be better since removing bardic music also removes an entire role from the character. I'll whip something up soonish.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    You're absolutely right. I thought advancing the casting and sneak attack would make for a balanced class, but it needs to be better since removing bardic music also removes an entire role from the character. I'll whip something up soonish.
    Well, I would let them keep bardic knowledge (and advance it) to start with, after all, forbidden music should not affect it much, IMO.

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #100

I added Enraging Song, sending allies or enemies into a rage-like state. It's a little more versatility, since it can buff allies but also would shut down enemy spellcasters. Bardic Knowledge is also advanced, and an additional -1 to the penalty from Debilitating song.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2017-10-24 at 01:26 PM.

Nod, get treat.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, Ten Thousand Sparks of Life now has the basic information done. It's now at the "technically playable" point, if you don't mind being restricted to Spiders alone and having nothing but a 13-30 HD swarm of the things. They don't have webs... And I just realized that I forgot to put in the Vermin per HD entry so that Hive Minds can actually use the same type of Swarm.

12. - Top - End - #102

ok, can someone tell me how exactly does judging work? I have an idea (12% of an idea) but I want to know how this actually works. Thanks!
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    ok, can someone tell me how exactly does judging work? I have an idea (12% of an idea) but I want to know how this actually works. Thanks!
    It's done with voting, so each voter decides what's important to them. Power, balance, flavor, how fun it looks to play, adherence to the theme, or even humor could all be the deciding factor for different voters. The best bet is to hit them all.

Nod, get treat.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I'm moving the Composite Swarm stuff to another thread, so that there won't be bloat from all those things. Besides, it's very much another incidence of homebrew only related by how it can be used with the PRC. That post will be done significantly later, if ever(why the hell to all the SRD Swarms have so much Dexterity and basically none of any other stat?). The main reason I'm making this post is to say I've actually finished the control mechanism(it was missing rules for taking over existing swarms) and added what is essentially automatic, stacking, Extend Spell to it. So all your Swarm-producing things last twice as long, provided you use your control cap on it. I also added the second level ability, which allows a Hive Master to use their swarm's Spot and Listen bonuses instead of their own. All of their Swarm's bonuses, stacking together, with the restriction of the Swarms used needing to be able to make a Spot or Listen check against the target. Also line of sight sharing, for those non-line-of-effect spells to target whatever.

Now to figure out which way I want the level four and five abilities to be... Because it's feats and mental score bonuses, which are both utter crazy for the available means of entry. Maybe I should make it a more specific entry method, so that a lot of the kerfuffles involved in being open ended are removed and I can focus on a limited number of abilities. Also need to figure out scaling values for the various progressions given for the 3rd level ability. In particular, I want the wording to permit the use of the class as an entry method to other power sources, like a Druid entry gaining Psionics from the PRC. Or some funky Initiator entry getting to go into Divine spellcasting for that tasty Gish/Theurge PRC.

...while I'm making this post, I suppose we could talk about the next contest. I'd like to see Switch Hitter, myself, where you have a close and long range combat method on one character. Blaster-gishes that use spells for long-range damage fall into the theme, as does an archer that uses spells for melee. The interesting stuff comes with theurges, like using Invocations for melee and Psionics for long range by way of Enlarge Power and Eldritch Glave, or a Soulcaster variant that uses Incarnum for long range and spellcasting for melee by being Touch spell focused, yet having ranged weapons as a requirement.

More conceptually, PRCs that apply to ranged and melee near-equally, if not outright favoring ranged yet being useful for melee, can be done. For example, a class that improves it's attack rolls based on how many times they've attack a particular target that turn. This is better for ranged than melee, because Multishot has a fixed penalty that can be lower than the number of attacks. So you get a flat out bonus to some of the attacks made. TWF also loves it for being a means of removing that pesky iterative penalty, as does Monk's Flurry of Misses. Basically, any build that makes multiple attacks per round, even attack roll spells, gets some lovely advantage from it.

Going purely into the basic idea of switch hitting, you could have a Psionic PRC that shifts between bonuses to different damage types and associated features, because you're switching between different types of damage. Similarly, an Arcane/Psionic theurge focused on switching between power sources to bypass resistances against one or the other power source technically qualifies. Really, anything involving switching between multiple types of offence works for the concept of switch hitting.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    -snip (next contest idea)-
    So, Switch hitter? Alright, one vote for that .

Note to everyone, the contest ends and voting starts the 17th.

Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Happy Halloween all!

@daremetoidareyo did you purposely post that on Halloween
    EDIT: ...and welcome to the contest :P
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-10-31 at 11:18 PM.

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Happy Halloween all!

@daremetoidareyo did you purposely post that on Halloween
    EDIT: ...and welcome to the contest :P
    Thanks. No, I finally decided that my arcane mark cantrip prestige class was boring.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. No, I finally decided that my arcane mark cantrip prestige class was boring.
    ...note to self, if Switch Hitter wins for next contest topic, make Monk/Sorcerer gish with Arcane Mark and Craft Contingency Spell as requirements. Maybe Ascetic Mage too, or instead of Craft Contingency Spell. Because Quivering Palm is so bad, I want to make a prestige class offering a strict upgrade.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2017-11-01 at 06:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Ok, rough hewn draft finished. I'll do the fluff later.

The Dermagraphter

Question: Do I drop a level of casting from this, seeing as how one gets a free feat, and the ability to steal a limited number of class features? First casting level or final casting level? I'm leaning towards the final level.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

So, the leveller is finally finished. I had to make a second post to fit it all in (was about 72k characters out of the 50k limit) but it's finished. And no, I am not sorry about taking up half of the physical length of the webpage of the submission thread.

Thoughts? Comments? Grievances?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ok, rough hewn draft finished. I'll do the fluff later.

The Dermagraphter

Question: Do I drop a level of casting from this, seeing as how one gets a free feat, and the ability to steal a limited number of class features? First casting level or final casting level? I'm leaning towards the final level.
    I always preferred first levels for mine if I dropped a single, especially when the goal is to not lose any CL... keeps thing like dipping for telepathy (ahem *mindbender* ahem) from happening, although the last level is nice.
    A few questions:
    " like a tattoo from the special dispensation feat (Cityscape)" Since the tattoo was a symbol of permission for them to carry X does that mean until they get another they can't, and whoever gets that piece of skin gets the feat's effects? Graft Tattoo answered the last part.

Anaesthetic Casting: Maybe the ability to ignore immunities, or increase HD caps?

Why is field surgeon only on rushed heal checks?

Preserve organ Mastery (DR 2/-) meh, not much... but then leadership+this for an army... might be useful I guess. Be better if it stacked though...

I like the class, very interesting
    So, the leveller is finally finished. I had to make a second post to fit it all in (was about 72k characters out of the 50k limit) but it's finished. And no, I am not sorry about taking up half of the physical length of the webpage of the submission thread.

Thoughts? Comments? Grievances?
    Only through Immobilising Hand so far, but one problem with some of the energy blaster type spells: energy resistance/immunity. Aside from that they look really nice, and I can tell a lot of work went into 'em. Nice job!

Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I was thinking for the hedge mage, an epic feat that allows it to use higher spells:
    Late Bloomer [Epic]
    It's alright, you'll catch up with Van Conjurer soon enough... I think.
    Requirements: Lord of Hedgery class feature
    Benefits: When you take this feat your Hedge Mage restrictions are relaxed, allowing you access to a spells of higher levels, following the normal progression of your entry class. For example, a wizard would gain access to 5th level slots, and could cast a number equal to a 20th level wizard (since spells per day cap there). Meanwhile a sorcerer would have the equivalent spells per day and spells known.
    Special: This feat can be selected more then once.

Too OP? Should I make an epic progression that allows them to eventually get those 9's and let them benefit from their abilities as well? After all, they will have only 4th level spells at 15th... and not be able to get higher level... ever.

Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Only through Immobilising Hand so far, but one problem with some of the energy blaster type spells: energy resistance/immunity. Aside from that they look really nice, and I can tell a lot of work went into 'em. Nice job!
    I like to think that energy resistance and immunity aren't as much of a problem as you might think. For a start, in general, enemies don't tend to be immune to multiple things - this ain't Diablo II. If you see a circling red dragon, you put down the conflagration and lob a blizzard at it. Further, a lot of the damaging energy spells give the enemy a nasty condition like Frozen Solid or Stunned even if they take no damage. There's no particular shame in throwing a freezing ray at a cold-immune creature just because 1 round/level of no actions is nasty enough on its own. Finally, of course, searing spell exists, and you actually get access to searing conflagration the same level as you get the regular version, because you actually get the 5th-level slots before the third-level elite spell known. I'm aware that the leveller is basically going to be used in an environment where searing spell is known and standard (it's meant for fairly high-power play since the drawback of getting spells as powerful as heaven's roar is literally that you're not an incantatrix and had to burn a few skill points that you probably don't need).

A couple of changes I have made include a bit of a formatting fix up, and a longer intro for those who still don't get why fighting things thousands of times your size makes you comparatively small.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    Class Features: Starting at the 2nd level and every even level there after the intern gains all the class features tied to the class chosen as part of internship. Treat the intern as a level 0 in the class for determining what the level increase does. If the intern's class level + levels in the class they are interning in would exceed their Character Level the bonus does not apply to unlocking new abilities.

Got My Certification: Starting at the 10th level, an intern upon taking 1 level in the chosen class adds all their intern levels to their class levels in the chosen class for determining what class features they have and what level they are in the class.
    I feel like there is a better way to write this, but I can't think of one.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm very happy to see this. For a long time there was a PrC contest but it died off. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Chat-Thread-VI is I think the final chat thread for it?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I've got the core function of the class worked out(Clerical Divine, Druidic Divine and Psionic casting progressing are available), and have removed the food-generation requirement. Having trouble coming up with a name for feat use, so that's not done yet. Also having trouble with a name for Arcane progression, and will do the mental score increase crunch later.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I like to think that energy resistance and immunity aren't as much of a problem as you might think. For a start, in general, enemies don't tend to be immune to multiple things - this ain't Diablo II. If you see a circling red dragon, you put down the conflagration and lob a blizzard at it. Further, a lot of the damaging energy spells give the enemy a nasty condition like Frozen Solid or Stunned even if they take no damage. There's no particular shame in throwing a freezing ray at a cold-immune creature just because 1 round/level of no actions is nasty enough on its own. Finally, of course, searing spell exists, and you actually get access to searing conflagration the same level as you get the regular version, because you actually get the 5th-level slots before the third-level elite spell known. I'm aware that the leveller is basically going to be used in an environment where searing spell is known and standard (it's meant for fairly high-power play since the drawback of getting spells as powerful as heaven's roar is literally that you're not an incantatrix and had to burn a few skill points that you probably don't need).
    Ah, I was under the impression that things like frozen solid depended in doing damage, I like it.
    I feel like there is a better way to write this, but I can't think of one.
    I'll look oveer it tomorrow, today was a ****ty day.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    I'm very happy to see this. For a long time there was a PrC contest but it died off. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Chat-Thread-VI is I think the final chat thread for it?
    Yeah, there was talk of a rework contest a while back, and there was no PrC one going so, here it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    So, I've got the core function of the class worked out(Clerical Divine, Druidic Divine and Psionic casting progressing are available), and have removed the food-generation requirement. Having trouble coming up with a name for feat use, so that's not done yet. Also having trouble with a name for Arcane progression, and will do the mental score increase crunch later.
    I'll try to think of something, and if I do post it tomorrow.

Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Morphic Tide: Since arcane seems to be related to dragons in most D&D stuff (coughsorcerorscough) maybe teeth of the dragon? (Couldn't think of a name )

Lanth Sor: I couldn't think of anything for the rewrite, but was wondering. Under internship they have to do menial tasks, under which you list quests... So... Can I be forced to enlist in the military, sent after a dragon (alright, that one probably stretches menial) or anything like that? Basically my problem is that you put quest, but didn't say anything along the lines of how far the quest can be... "Say, good chap could you go and fetch me volume VI of the Arts of Madness, Darkness and Depression? YOu'll find it in the library of Asmodeus, thanks!"

Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yes that could be a possibility. The mentor is suppose to be a high level ally, so think Gandalf hes there, but he doesn't do anything.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yes that could be a possibility. The mentor is suppose to be a high level ally, so think Gandalf hes there, but he doesn't do anything.
    Fair enough then, I personally would say you can't send them against something with a CR higher then their level+~(5-10).

Extended Signature