Default Dramatic Fall [3.5 Spell] PEACH

Destructive Fall
    Transmutation
    Level:
    Asn 1, Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V
    Casting time: 1 Immeditate Action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Targets: One Medium or smaller freefalling object or creature/level, no two of which may be more than 20 ft. apart
    Duration: Until landing or 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) or Will negates (object)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

"Quick cast Feather Fall before we die!"
    "No! It isn't dramatic enough!"

This spell acts as the Feather Fall spell, except as noted. Destructive Fall doesn't reduce the speed of the falling subjects.

In addition if a target reaches the ground while this spell is still in effect, the fall damage that is negated by the spell is instead dealt as sonic damage to the 5 foot cube below the subject. The amount of damage dealt with this spell cannot be greater than 1d6 per caster level, if the amount that would be dealt would be greater than this limit then it is reduced to the maximum.

If this damage destroys the ground the target is standing on, then this spell acts as though the subject was still falling.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-06-09 at 03:44 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dramatic Fall [3.5 Spell] PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Casting time: 1 free action
    I suspect you want the more modern form of an immediate action, as feather fall now uses. Free actions can't be taken off-turn....

Duration: Until landing or 1 round/level
    I assume this is "up to" 1 rd. / level?

Looks more or less OK to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Too powerful as written. What is to stop someone from simply falling on top of a creature to do 100d10 sonic damage. How do you stop someone from doing that?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

If they were ingenuitive enough then why not? That would be quite a risk to take for a one shot but in reality if you have someone fall on you from that high up your dead anyways. All this spell is doing is makimg it so that the person falling survives the fall.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Virdish View Post
    If they were ingenuitive enough then why not? That would be quite a risk to take for a one shot but in reality if you have someone fall on you from that high up your dead anyways. All this spell is doing is makimg it so that the person falling survives the fall.
    I'd be inclined to agree if I wasn't aware how crazy players tend to be. Carpet of Flying+1 random small animal/level=1 dead thing/level, no save. OOH OOH. Bag of tricks! This would make an excellent bomber-spell! As a first-level spell, you could make a Wand of it, and just spam it on a bunch of tiny critters you drop on your unsuspecting foes. Or through their doom-fortresses.

Yeaaaah, you may want to limit this.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps you could set it to only be cast on yourself, as the spell syntax seems to describe. That way you can't become a B-52 with explosive sonic weasels.
    (they might even be starving and crazed after being in the bag for that long) /reference

Even so, I don't see this as being dramatic. I wonder if you could instead look at it as a bonus to a skill such as tumble, and perhaps a fascination? Eh. Sticking to what you have here, though, I'd raise it in level at the very least, or maybe make it a touch spell.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    I suspect you want the more modern form of an immediate action, as feather fall now uses. Free actions can't be taken off-turn....
    Was that in an Errata?

I assume this is "up to" 1 rd. / level?
    Yes it is. I'll change it to make it more apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree if I wasn't aware how crazy players tend to be. Carpet of Flying+1 random small animal/level=1 dead thing/level, no save. OOH OOH. Bag of tricks! This would make an excellent bomber-spell! As a first-level spell, you could make a Wand of it, and just spam it on a bunch of tiny critters you drop on your unsuspecting foes. Or through their doom-fortresses.

Yeaaaah, you may want to limit this.
    I'll limit the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Perhaps you could set it to only be cast on yourself, as the spell syntax seems to describe. That way you can't become a B-52 with explosive sonic weasels.
    (they might even be starving and crazed after being in the bag for that long) /reference
    No as then it wouldn't function as a very good replacement for feather fall, and stops you from being able to protect your allies.

Even so, I don't see this as being dramatic. I wonder if you could instead look at it as a bonus to a skill such as tumble, and perhaps a fascination? Eh. Sticking to what you have here, though, I'd raise it in level at the very least, or maybe make it a touch spell.
    Its dramatic in that you fall from a huge height, the force of the fall cracks the ground you land on, and you are perfectly fine. Its very dramatic to see someone leave an impact crater after a fall and them being fine.

Also should I increase it to level two, I've added in a limit to the damage and I don't think it is worth a second level slot.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Its dramatic in that you fall from a huge height, the force of the fall cracks the ground you land on, and you are perfectly fine. Its very dramatic to see someone leave an impact crater after a fall and them being fine.

Also should I increase it to level two, I've added in a limit to the damage and I don't think it is worth a second level slot.
    I was referring to if unchanged to up the level. Lowering the damage works. I do like the fact that it naturally explains the increase of damage per level. The higher level you are, the longer you can fall before the effects wear off.

Curious - does the spell end if someone breaks the ground since the damage is made? or if they still have more rounds that the spell is in effect, and since they are "still falling" the spell continues? As in, someone dramatic falling through several layers of scaffolding.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-06-08 at 10:27 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Curious - does the spell end if someone breaks the ground since the damage is made? or if they still have more rounds that the spell is in effect, and since they are "still falling" the spell continues? As in, someone dramatic falling through several layers of scaffolding.
    I think this was the intention with that wording.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    I think this was the intention with that wording.
    Yeah...it's just worded sparringly. So each time they hit something, the sonic damage happens...?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah...it's just worded sparringly. So each time they hit something, the sonic damage happens...?
    That's what it sounds like.

Another potential exploit: Drop your bomber-weasels from your flying carpet, but only after releasing several giant sheets of paper or similar material. Perhaps have a frame for each? When the weasels hit the paper, it causes mid-air explosions. You could improvise a sort of flak-weapon in this manner.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Yes the spell will continue. Note, that while the spell acts as if you were still falling, you technically are falling a second time, thus fall damage will have to be recalculated from the new fall height, meaning that it is a lot less likely to destroy anything a second time around unless it is a good distance down.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Was that in an Errata?
    I'm not sure, but the SRD listing has the current form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    I'm not sure, but the SRD listing has the current form.
    Strange, seems D&D Wiki hadn't updated it. I'll change this to an immediate action.
    Show