New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 7: ...Maybe?

They have airtight storehouses in this world?

Yeah, I can see the utility but I think most farmers will say - cats are cheap. It's not enough for a utility spell to be useful, it must also be cost-effective. That's why all DM's house-ruled the old Identify spells so that they didn't cost 100 gp per casting.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

I am following this, as well. So if you want to count me as another different... My comments are usually limited in their ubiquity because I either get ninja'd while proofreading or end up sounding like a troll waiting to happen, though.

Also, the part about the magic is really interesting. I've been toying with an idea for a 3.5-magic-fix again the other day and seeing all the different approaches people take to magic in their settings is grade-A-inspiration every time. (Even though, to be perfectly frank, the prospect of an easily misusable gas-based eradication method, groundbreakingly new and magical no less, in a setting charged with racial tension worries me immensely. )
    Last edited by Worlok; 2011-08-30 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Ah, hell, not again!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    They have airtight storehouses in this world?

Yeah, I can see the utility but I think most farmers will say - cats are cheap. It's not enough for a utility spell to be useful, it must also be cost-effective. That's why all DM's house-ruled the old Identify spells so that they didn't cost 100 gp per casting.
    Airtight enough that what gas does get out won't be enough to be harmful. Remember, Cloudkill gas is denser than normal air.

Again, he wasn't really thinking about cost here. And the goblin wizard is talking more about giant storehouses than anything else.

Has anyone figured out what real-world fungus insanity mold is based off of?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Airtight enough that what gas does get out won't be enough to be harmful. Remember, Cloudkill gas is denser than normal air.

Again, he wasn't really thinking about cost here. And the goblin wizard is talking more about giant storehouses than anything else.

Has anyone figured out what real-world fungus insanity mold is based off of?
    Wasn't there some kind of fungus that causes hallucinations and prompted the Salem witch hunts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Anything which involves psilocybin?

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wasn't there some kind of fungus that causes hallucinations and prompted the Salem witch hunts?
    Bingo. Insanity mold is the Aequarian equivalent of ergot, except that it's a mold which grows on crops after they've been harvested.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah agreed, I can see this spell being stolen and used to take out large groups of people in war.

As for the nature of magic, I find it odd that arcana would be older than druidic. Druidic is basically elemental magic, clerical magic of a sorts. It comes from a connection to the natural world. It should have, to me, existed before cities, during the hunter gatherer phase. Arcana and research requires cities, supplies, a manufacturing infrastructure of some kind, and a middle to upper class that can spend the time researching and learning for learnings sake.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    Yeah agreed, I can see this spell being stolen and used to take out large groups of people in war.

As for the nature of magic, I find it odd that arcana would be older than druidic. Druidic is basically elemental magic, clerical magic of a sorts. It comes from a connection to the natural world. It should have, to me, existed before cities, during the hunter gatherer phase. Arcana and research requires cities, supplies, a manufacturing infrastructure of some kind, and a middle to upper class that can spend the time researching and learning for learnings sake.
    And, of course, there could never be anything but a gradual evolution of humanity from hunter-gatherers eventually to technological greatness.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

9. - Top - End - #189
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Also, guess what real-world fungus insanity mold is based off of!
    Ergot! Which I find I must now include in my games, as it's an awesome idea...

Edit: Aww, there's a second page I didn't see where you said it already
    Last edited by Savannah; 2011-08-30 at 12:25 PM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

this comic is now making me think of the various ways medieval people would actually use magic.

nobles would just looooove spells that transformed people- mostly because they have heirs, they don't want the wrong kind of heir y'know, want at least one guy to be the man that would take over in succession to the faith. If the baby turned out to be female and the couple wanted a male to become lord after them, they might hire a wizard to change the babies' gender while it is still young, before it develops.
    likewise if they got a younger male, they might turn them female cause they don't want to have to deal with sons fighting over who gets to succeed their father.
    yea, nobles would just love magical bloodline-tampering in general as well.

I can see enchantments to make full knights armor lightweight and more flexible to be popular as well- all the super-protection of plate, all the flexibility of chain armor. also enchantments to make it easier to put on and take off.

and I don't think I could tell you all the applications of magically enchanted arrows or spears. or medieval artillery/siege weapons. there are too many.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

Ah yes, claviceps. Nature's LSD and major cause of witch-based hate crimes the world over. This continues to shape up nicely.

As for the Druidism-Wizardry thing, I could sort of see wizards being around for longer than druids, assuming druids with their back-to-nature(-magic)-thing are, in a way, a callback to the kind of Shamanic and mysticist traditions that were around at the dawn of Man. Sort of what happens once the people who've seen wizardry in action / dropped out of arcane studies start to romanticise the simpler ways of frolicking around with bears the size of minor trucks.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2011-08-30 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Shot, that wasn't funny.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Ergot can also be used to make a (very dangerous and sometimes lethal) abortion potion.

― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Ergot can also be used to make a (very dangerous and sometimes lethal) abortion potion.
    Even if it's lethal, it still works. Not having a baby if you're dead.

(Yes, I know, bad joke, but someone would say it and I figured it might as well be someone who apologises afterward.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop
    Even if it's lethal, it still works. Not having a baby if you're dead.
    Oh, so you meant prenatal... (Sorry!)
    Last edited by Worlok; 2011-08-30 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Oh, dammit!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

I just wanted to dissuade any unlucky ex-maidens out there from trying this "all-natural" method. Even if you don't die you'll probably lose a couple of fingers and toes.

― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #196
    Firbolg in the Playground

Concerning arcane magic coming before druidic, I could see as arcane magic giving understanding over magic, which then allowed druids to harness natural magic, allowing them to use druidic magic.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2011-08-30 at 02:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Concerning arcane magic coming before druidic, I could see as arcane magic giving understanding over magic, which then allowed druids to harness natural magic, allowing them to use druidic magic.
    Don't worry, everything will become clear in time.

...A long time.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Tease.

What clubs have you joined at Cornell?

― Tim Fargo

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't worry, everything will become clear in time.

...A long time.
    yeah, those two DO make sense then, some arcanist proving magic even works, and THEN druidics getting into the act.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

I've gone through the comic, and it's pretty good, but I haven't been inclined to post until now.

This whole Cloudkill thing is very interesting. Mainly the applications. It would be terrible, for say, if it fell into the hands of a nation that was trying to exterminate a people. In fact, other than Burlew's Familicide, I don't think there's a spell that rivals cloudkill in it's ability to kill mass amounts of people. Add in Extend and Widen spell, and you could wipe out towns.

Good thing, there's nobody that would want to do that, except the Nazi-esque violently racist country next door.

Foreshadowing

21. - Top - End - #201

But it's just a pesticide. Dax (that's the goblin's name) made Cloudkill as a pesticide to help prevent damage to harvested crops. Even if it is a bit tricky to isolate the chlorine gas, and the sulfur deposits are only found in abundance in a certain spot in the Alavaan plains, the mustard seeds are pretty easy to find.

Damn, I better get started on the new comic!
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2011-08-30 at 09:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

But it's just a pesticide. Dax (that's the goblin's name) made Cloudkill as a pesticide to help prevent damage to harvested crops. Even if it is a bit tricky to isolate the chlorine gas, and the sulfur deposits are only found in abundance in a certain spot in the Alavaan plains, the mustard seeds are pretty easy to find.

Damn, I better get started on the new comic!
    The SRD says differently...

But alas .

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm putting 10 bucks on a Cloudkill fueled holocaust in the future.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Ten gold says the goverment either assumes it's an attempt to poision the crops and kill non-plaveen, or wind up weaponiseing it against his wishes.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Ten gold says the goverment either assumes it's an attempt to poision the crops and kill non-plaveen, or wind up weaponiseing it against his wishes.
    I... I thought for a second he was going to do a Speciescide of all rats... I still hate his guts though. I liked him when he was being likable too.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, let me get this straight... you hate the goblin wizard because he created an extremely good pesticide (good enough to clear non-vermin pest even)?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #206
    Banned

But it's just a pesticide. Dax (that's the goblin's name) made Cloudkill as a pesticide to help prevent damage to harvested crops.
    Somehow I think Dax and Serrin are the only people who will see this use for it. Folks have already drawn the parallel between Cloudkill-as-pesticide and a certain pesticide developed by Degesch, and coupled it with the ambitions of a certain polity committed to a policy of ethnic cleansing. There's also associations by color and behavior of Cloudkill with weaponized mustard gas, with the obvious difference that its use requires only a determined wizard or wizards, plus the Aequar-only material components, instead of dedicated industrial plant.

Semi-related question: was Dax modeled after Fritz Haber at all?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915
    Somehow I think Dax and Serrin are the only people who will see this use for it. Folks have already drawn the parallel between Cloudkill-as-pesticide and a certain pesticide developed by Degesch, and coupled it with the ambitions of a certain polity committed to a policy of ethnic cleansing.
    That last part really hits home once you realise that they actually considered their doing intent-appropriate. Namely, pest control.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    How could anything like that be used as a weapon? It's not like it insta-kills everything with less than 4HD...

― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I see the demonstration going something like this...

The next day...

Orc wizard: So? What did you think?
    Chief wizard: Cloudkill. *to dead corpse* I think it's a very efficient spell which will awe the world with my genius.
    Of course, if the wizard council (or whatever they are) is directly linked to the government, they would have to be a bit more sneaky with something like that. (Edict of Tolerance and everything...)
    Last edited by legomaster00156; 2011-08-31 at 09:04 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Casting. When ML becomes a movie, who should play whom?

― Tim Fargo