New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I like this style, whatever its called, so I’m looking to build a flying esper commander deck around this commander:
    Why are you making your flying commander deck Zur, instead of a flier?

And why must the majority of the creatures have CMC less than 4?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    I clicked the link, and he has the word "Flying" right there on his textbox.
    I didn't look at the whole deck... but I'm guessing they're largely enchantment-creatures from Theros. Are they?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ettin in the Playground

I am playing with an aggro-lean. I can have a few heavy hitters, sure, but I have to fit it to the aggro curve.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I clicked the link, and he has the word "Flying" right there on his textbox.
    I've looked at Zur a hundred times, and yet I've somehow never noticed that he has flying.

I am playing with an aggro-lean. I can have a few heavy hitters, sure, but I have to fit it to the aggro curve.
    Aggro isn't really a thing in commander, though you can get away with cmc 1-2 fliers if you play a lot of Coastal Piracy effects (draw a card when a creature deals damage to an opponent.) You will need a lot of those though. Good thing is Zur can find both Coastal Piracy and Bident of Thassa.
    You definitely need Windreader Sphinx.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good thing is Zur can find both Coastal Piracy and Bident of Thassa.
    Zur only finds enchantments that cost 3 or less - both of the above cost 4.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    I might include those anyway—I want the vast majority of my cards to cost 3 or less, but I’m fine with a few outliers. Heck, I’m throwing in a copy of platinum angel which is 7 colorless! I’ll put it this way—cheap flyers are my preferred creature cards, but if I need a few more expensive flyers to build this deck, that’s fine. Enchantments can go up to 4 mana due to their wide-ranging utility.

If I run out of flyers to add to the deck, I may throw in a few man-lands and a death candle, but I want as many flyers as possible.

Spoiler: Come fly with me
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Apparently I do not know Zur at all.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

Do note that you have to be very careful with playing Zur. Just showing up to the table with him as your Commander is usually enough to get some amount of hate because of how easy it is to (ab)use his ability for cEDH combo kills or 'just' a heavy stax theme.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Gripe of the day: I can't sell magic cards for even a fraction of their face prices. I have some mint fetches (arid mesa, scalding tarn, marsh flat) that I have been trying to find a buyer for a while. People on craigslist just want to trade other cards (despite offering a discount vs. online,) a store insulted me with a 40% offer and online I can get about 60%. They are used in the three big formats, seems like I should be able to find someone who will give me 75%
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Gripe of the day: I can't sell magic cards for even a fraction of their face prices. I have some mint fetches (arid mesa, scalding tarn, marsh flat) that I have been trying to find a buyer for a while. People on craigslist just want to trade other cards (despite offering a discount vs. online,) a store insulted me with a 40% offer and online I can get about 60%. They are used in the three big formats, seems like I should be able to find someone who will give me 75%
    tried ebay / tcg? do your local stores have a policy against selling to their regulars during tournaments?

And yeah, the pawn shop economy in stores is insulting, but plenty of people put up with it, so it wont ever change.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    tried ebay / tcg? do your local stores have a policy against selling to their regulars during tournaments?

And yeah, the pawn shop economy in stores is insulting, but plenty of people put up with it, so it wont ever change.
    We can trade but not sell, which is fair but makes it a whole fight to work through.

Frankly I don't want to sell directly to an individual online, it is too easy for them to claim the condition was a lie and demand part of the money back, or pretend they never got the cards, or actually never get the cards. I would prefer facetime or a corporation.

Seems that way. I even tried to take store credit but the manager wasn't buying it.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Do note that you have to be very careful with playing Zur. Just showing up to the table with him as your Commander is usually enough to get some amount of hate because of how easy it is to (ab)use his ability for cEDH combo kills or 'just' a heavy stax theme.
    I picked him more for the flying...the extra cheese was an afterthought till I saw it and thought “what an amazing card!”

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    We can trade but not sell, which is fair but makes it a whole fight to work through.

Frankly I don't want to sell directly to an individual online, it is too easy for them to claim the condition was a lie and demand part of the money back, or pretend they never got the cards, or actually never get the cards. I would prefer facetime or a corporation.

Seems that way. I even tried to take store credit but the manager wasn't buying it.
    Stores expect to make twice or more what they paid for in singles, due to how long they tend to sit. Also because most stores' cash flow sucks or is nonexistent in the first place. You cant pay your lease with copies of Catan or boxes of magic cards after all.

Have you tried finding FB groups for players in your area? Perhaps you could find buyers there, and trade in person to avoid issues. Also, you should be willing to move it slowly and 1 by 1; few people will need, want or be able to afford a bunch of expensive cards all bundled together.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I picked him more for the flying...the extra cheese was an afterthought till I saw it and thought “what an amazing card!”
    Yhea Zur will probably draw you unwarranted hate that will be hard to deal with. If you want to stick with WUB, something like Chromium, the Mutable, Yennet, Cryptic Sovereign, or partnering Ravos, Soultender with Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker might be more appropriate. Also no discussion of flying tribal should go with out mentioning Isperia the Inscrutable
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2019-05-23 at 03:45 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

In commander, is this card colorless or is it blue?
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/memnarch/

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Blue. Any instance of a color symbol anywhere on a card makes it that color for Commander (only exception being cards with Extort, since the symbol there is technically only reminder text).

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ettin in the Playground

Blue for deckbuilding, but colorless when an in-game effect refers to a permanent's color.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Blue for deckbuilding, but colorless when an in-game effect refers to a permanent's color.
    perfect.

I’m honestly caught between building a flying tribal deck and building an eldrazi deck that splashes blue.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ettin in the Playground

There are two issues here that you're conflating. The first is color. A card's color is determined by the mana symbols in its casting cost, if any, or by effects that change colors. Memnarch the card is colorless - its casting cost is just {7}. Lands are colorless, because they have no casting cost. Ancestral Vision is blue, despite having no casting cost, because the color indicator (the little dot before the type) - originally it had text to say it was blue, though. When card text talks about colors, it's talking about this.

Color Identity is broader, and afaik is only used for deckbuilding in Commander and Oathbreaker. Color Idenity is determined by mana symbols in casting cost, color indicator, and rules text. Since Memnarch has blue mana in its effect cost, its color identity is blue. Islands have color identity blue, because they produce {U}. Meanwhile Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is still color identity colorless, because there's no colors in its rules text. Ghostfire, despite having rules to say it is colorless, still has a color identity of red because of the red mana in its cost.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Yhea Zur will probably draw you unwarranted hate that will be hard to deal with. If you want to stick with WUB, something like Chromium, the Mutable, Yennet, Cryptic Sovereign, or partnering Ravos, Soultender with Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker might be more appropriate. Also no discussion of flying tribal should go with out mentioning Isperia the Inscrutable
    As awesome as a 5-color deck like Niv-Mizzet Reborn would be, I personally prefer the novelty of a twin-commander deck and will thus go with Ravos, Soultender and Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker as my two commanders. When I have the deck and mechanics fully hammered out, I’ll start on the homebrew lore for the deck—granted, it will be irreverent to established cannon, but I’ll use the names of the cards in the lore. Maybe there can be a romance befween my two commanders?

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post

On the one hand, yeah it is, but on the other hand it's hard enough for those places to keep the lights on that I don't usually resent them for it...

Speaking of store economics, I've felt a few times like a membership structure for a hobby shop/FLGS would be a more sensible way to do things -- pay a monthly membership fee in exchange for facility use, event entry, and whatever benefits -- but I'm not sure if people would support that...

EDIT: And oh yeah, if you want to sell duals for a decent price your best bet is to go to a big event and try to find an individual buyer. Or it used to be? I haven't been to a tournament in ages so idk.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2019-05-23 at 09:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    On the one hand, yeah it is, but on the other hand it's hard enough for those places to keep the lights on that I don't usually resent them for it...

Speaking of store economics, I've felt a few times like a membership structure for a hobby shop/FLGS would be a more sensible way to do things -- pay a monthly membership fee in exchange for facility use, event entry, and whatever benefits -- but I'm not sure if people would support that...

EDIT: And oh yeah, if you want to sell duals for a decent price your best bet is to go to a big event and try to find an individual buyer. Or it used to be? I haven't been to a tournament in ages so idk.
    My gaming group used to talk about just renting a 10x30 storage space, putting some tables and chairs in it and playing there. $200 a month among a bunch of people isn't bad and the space would be large and clean. Alternatively the rent of a mall space isn't so bad now that malls are dying, making a group gaming store would also work out okay among a group.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

I have a store nearby that does a sort of membership/part ownership thing. No idea how well it's going for them, but it's certainly an idea to try.

But yeah, for stores that deal in singles, I don't resent them buying at less than market price. I'd rather support them than random people online any day.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I have a store nearby that does a sort of membership/part ownership thing. No idea how well it's going for them, but it's certainly an idea to try.

But yeah, for stores that deal in singles, I don't resent them buying at less than market price. I'd rather support them than random people online any day.
    I don't play at game stores, so I really don't have an interest in their bottom lines. I appreciate that LGSs are good for some people, but I would rather play with people I already know.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Pixie in the Playground

Haven't played MTG for ages but I still have a couple of old decks. I like the old card styles more than modern

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone have any experience going to a large scale event like an SCG tour event? I'm headed to the one at the end of June and don't know what to expect. Any idea how much cash I should bring? Other stuff like that?

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Does anyone have any experience going to a large scale event like an SCG tour event? I'm headed to the one at the end of June and don't know what to expect. Any idea how much cash I should bring? Other stuff like that?
    Money should be based on what you're planning on doing. Plan on getting food either at a local fast food joint, as convention food is hella expensive in the hall. Do you plan to buy anything from the vendors? I've mostly just brought enough to cover the events I'm looking at and then enough to cover a typical burger joint; but I haven't ever planned to buy stuff from the vendors.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Money should be based on what you're planning on doing. Plan on getting food either at a local fast food joint, as convention food is hella expensive in the hall. Do you plan to buy anything from the vendors? I've mostly just brought enough to cover the events I'm looking at and then enough to cover a typical burger joint; but I haven't ever planned to buy stuff from the vendors.
    Some people recommend going with a bag of cash so you dont 'miss out' on trading-up opportunities, as many people go to big events to unload expensive cards at a fraction of the cost, sometimes even depending on the sales of those cards for the return trip. Sometimes prizes are also sold cheaply by people who'd rather travel home with cash than cardboard. But unless you want to chase that 'value' there isnt actually much need.

Thats the current trend, monetizing play space and crafting experiences for players to see value. Half of the time it gentrifies their clientelle, as only those with disposable income and the right attitude care enough to pay for chairs and tables, the other half it drives people away or gets players to band together and open a new clubhouse-style store. Thats why they are hurting, there is no barrier to entry in the industry, as anyone with storage space can become a store, get OP support and distributor prices for their friends and slowly kill their local scene.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ettin in the Playground

Link if video doesn’t work: https://youtu.be/y7K_AhMyd-4

That is the most GRIXIS song I’ve ever heard.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-05-27 at 01:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ettin in the Playground

How are people supposed to to keep the Tarkir khans straight? Their names are all like...

Godai, Smelmai, Hentai, et cetera.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-05-27 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Originally said "clans"instead of "khans"
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.