New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    They were only incoherent by current ideas of balance and fairness, not in and of themselves. Its a glass cannon. Current ideas dont like glass cannons, and thats the real objection as far as I can tell, but they have their place especially in old-school play and Thunt is more old-school than not. People seem to be too stuck on the idea that if its a critter they've encountered they must be able to kill it. And, usually, not only kill it but kill it using only 1/4 of their daily resources. It should not be so to the point that people take it for granted.
    The problem is, he has a CR listed.

CRs aren't random meaningless numbers. You can't just say "well, I want this dungeon to be extra-tough, so I'm going to make this monster tougher than it's CR indicates." That's pointless. If you want your dungeon to be extra tough, you put in a monster with a higher CR than you normally would; but the sole point of a CR is to accurately tell you how dangerous a monster is.

Having a monster that's more dangerous than its CR indicates is just a mistake.

Also, there were some other bizarre things about its first write-up. One thing I recall -- which Thunt did fix -- was the insanely high save on its dissolving touch; the problem was that it was impossible for anyone of a level that its CR said was appropriate to ever make the save, even with everything poured into your save. That's just a weird way to do it. If you want it to be impossible to resist, just say so! It's awkward to have a roll where any result from 1-20 is always going to be a failure.

I mean, it's not a big deal; who cares at this point. Balancing monsters is hard. But anyway, ideally, that's why CR should be accurate, because that's what makes the game easy to run and play for DMs, so they don't have to waste huge amounts of time on each monster determining how dangerous it is.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2012-07-10 at 09:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Being fair, some canon monsters also had issue with CR, specially dragons from what I recall, although even then it wasn't as bad as the finger horror. I think the main issue with his monster though is that he claimed it be fully rules legal. If he had admitted it was not all that good mechanics wise I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have created this whole outcry.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    The problem is, he has a CR listed.

CRs aren't random meaningless numbers. You can't just say "well, I want this dungeon to be extra-tough, so I'm going to make this monster tougher than it's CR indicates." That's pointless. If you want your dungeon to be extra tough, you put in a monster with a higher CR than you normally would; but the sole point of a CR is to accurately tell you how dangerous a monster is.

Having a monster that's more dangerous than its CR indicates is just a mistake.

Also, there were some other bizarre things about its first write-up. One thing I recall -- which Thunt did fix -- was the insanely high save on its dissolving touch; the problem was that it was impossible for anyone of a level that its CR said was appropriate to ever make the save, even with everything poured into your save. That's just a weird way to do it. If you want it to be impossible to resist, just say so! It's awkward to have a roll where any result from 1-20 is always going to be a failure.

I mean, it's not a big deal; who cares at this point. Balancing monsters is hard. But anyway, ideally, that's why CR should be accurate, because that's what makes the game easy to run and play for DMs, so they don't have to waste huge amounts of time on each monster determining how dangerous it is.
    This guy's more or less correct. I mean besides, messing with CR is just cheating your players anyway. I mean if I took a first level orcish warrior and maxed out his HP at 8, then gave him an orc double axe instead of a falchion, then swapped his starting feat from Alertness to Toughness, then he's still technically a CR 1/2 first level NPC class monster.

It's just now he's got double HP, averages double damage, and has a chance to take out even a first level fighter or paladin in one non-crit attack. And for their troubles the party gets the same amount of XP and loot as they would have anyways. It's rules legal but it sucks for players if you're making them fight enemies with double the attack power and rewarding them with the old amounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

I am Tul. I do not run.

Spoiler
    Show
    bad choice, Tul...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    That is exactly the reason THunt gave when he got around to giving one, and that's not the problem. The problem was that this, and all of the rest of the dozen or so discrepancies, were not explained in any way in the stat page itself. The math didn't add up in a whole bunch of places, and there was nothing to indicate that it was all intentional beyond faith in the author's infallibility.

If you really want to see the train wreck of a discussion thread on the issue, here it is. Note that what I linked is the second thread on the topic, started after the first one got lost to a server crash (I think). Before it was lost, the first thread contained a post (which I admit was rudely worded) from me listing a bunch of one-liners about what was "wrong", an extremely rudely worded response from THunt giving explanations for each and every one of them, and comments from a bunch of other people very similar to many of those in the second thread.
    Wow. What a train wreck of a thread.

I find it sort of confusing that the narrativist argument combines both "we only care about telling a story" and "who cares if a DC 29 fort save is impossible to make for a level 3 party." How can you have a good narrative when the DM rolls dice and 1d4 of you die?

edit
    This isn't to raise a dead horse or anything, just musing on contradictions in narrativist attitudes....
    Last edited by Spuddles; 2012-07-11 at 02:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Tul was a great character. Maybe a little underused

What I am wondering, though:
    Every time we see the Viper Clan, they suffer heavy losses. Their true strength must be special feats like "advanced fertility" and "quickened adulthood" ... seriously, they are the strongest of all goblins, right? But apparently also the bravest/dumbest. If you are at the bottom of the food chain, you'd better run more often. Instead they pick unnecessary fights at any given opportunity. They burn through their soldiers faster than CTU through their agents in 24 hours.
    Last edited by Puschkin; 2012-07-11 at 03:51 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
    Every time we see the Viper Clan, they suffer heavy losses.
    I thought they'd done quite well against the invading hobgoblins, didn't they? And Duv, in particular, showed herself to be a formidable fighter.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
    Every time we see the Viper Clan, they suffer heavy losses. Their true strength must be special feats like "advanced fertility" and "quickened adulthood" ...
    They seem to have lost as many warriors to those hobgoblins as the Cryptic Fall lost to Minmax, Forgath, and the drow. And even after that, AND Biscuit's rampage, you can still see there are hundreds of them around to watch Duv's little ceremony. And if they do things at all like the Cryptic Fall does, they have another village somewhere full of noncombatants besides.

They're evidently holding on to enough land to feed and house all these goblins. That IS a sign of a powerful clan, even if their individual warriors are still pretty unimpressive by D&D standards.

9. - Top - End - #279

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    I find it sort of confusing that the narrativist argument combines both "we only care about telling a story" and "who cares if a DC 29 fort save is impossible to make for a level 3 party." How can you have a good narrative when the DM rolls dice and 1d4 of you die?
    The thing is its not supposed to be fought straight up. You're supposed to find some way to deal with it that doesnt involve face-to-face melee, which is sometimes tactics, more often brains or something enabled by brains. Narratives often feature critters like that. Smaug forinstance, as an obvious example. CR 7,894 dragon vs a CR 15 town, a lvl 20 ranger and a lvl 6 rogue. Or an unarmed Luke vs the rancor. X-wings vs the death star. Arnie vs the predator. And so on. And yet, narrative! The point being that the DM only rolls that d4 for deaths if you dont try to outsmart the situation.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

10. - Top - End - #280

The thing is its not supposed to be fought straight up. You're supposed to find some way to deal with it that doesnt involve face-to-face melee, which is sometimes tactics, more often brains or something enabled by brains. Narratives often feature critters like that. Smaug forinstance, as an obvious example. CR 7,894 dragon vs a CR 15 town, a lvl 20 ranger and a lvl 6 rogue. Or an unarmed Luke vs the rancor. X-wings vs the death star. Arnie vs the predator. And so on. And yet, narrative! The point being that the DM only rolls that d4 for deaths if you dont try to outsmart the situation.
    This is a good point. I mean a good DM will still give you experience either way, since it still takes thought and effort to avoid an encounter.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

The problem is, you don't know it has these horrible dangerous overpowered killing attacks until it hits you. You have no way of knowing it's a gigantic glass cannon before the fight starts. Unless the DM lets you know through old journals or other kinds of warnings. It could be neat, but only if the party is aware that their objective is to kill it without ever being touched. Otherwise the party's introduction to the fight concept is "one of you has died".
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-07-11 at 11:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    Um, can anyone tell who killed Tul? Was it Biscuit or the switchbeast? I'm thinking Biscuit but his arms look sort of positioned wrong, or maybe just obscured, for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Biscuit axed Tul out of the air and then threw his axe at a straggler.
    Curiously, my very first impression was the opposite: the switchbeast killed Tul mid air and the shredded corpse landed near biscuit, that was going to throw the axe at the other fleeing goblin.
    It seems strange to me that biscuit would risk to remind the switchbeast that he's still around, by killing Tul the beast's current target.

But, judging from the 6th panel, it really appears that was Biscuit the one who killed Tul.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-07-12 at 04:34 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

13. - Top - End - #283

Tul dodged the beast's attack.

I'm going to bet he was right. He would have successfully killed the beast. If he hadn't been stopped by an angry orc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #284

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The problem is, you don't know it has these horrible dangerous overpowered killing attacks until it hits you. You have no way of knowing it's a gigantic glass cannon before the fight starts. Unless the DM lets you know through old journals or other kinds of warnings. It could be neat, but only if the party is aware that their objective is to kill it without ever being touched. Otherwise the party's introduction to the fight concept is "one of you has died".
    You mean nobody in your party took dungeoneering (or whatever lore skill tells you about monsters), not even the skill-monkey scout? Players like power and knowledge IS power. Someone should point that out to them...

Plus a decent DM may, as you say, drop hints that caution is advised. Remains, scrawled bloody messages, Redshirt etc.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Bugbear in the Playground

You mean nobody in your party took dungeoneering (or whatever lore skill tells you about monsters)
    While knowledge/lore is always a good idea, that does not work well with rare/unique monsters.
    Mr. Fingers and the Switchbeast are pretty much unique/homebrewed.
    Last edited by hajo; 2012-07-12 at 08:24 AM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    While knowledge this is always a good idea, that does not work well with rare/unique monsters.
    Mr. Fingers and the Switchbeast are pretty much unique/homebrewed.
    That, and anyway, the infos you can obtain are usually limited.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-07-12 at 06:36 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post

If you really want to see the train wreck of a discussion thread on the issue, here it is. Note that what I linked is the second thread on the topic, started after the first one got lost to a server crash (I think). Before it was lost, the first thread contained a post (which I admit was rudely worded) from me listing a bunch of one-liners about what was "wrong", an extremely rudely worded response from THunt giving explanations for each and every one of them, and comments from a bunch of other people very similar to many of those in the second thread.

Yeah, you mentioned how to fix it nicely but you got them angry (your earlier lazy comment was issue even if you apologized).

This was their reason for being jerks:
    "Douglas' post harshed our vibe. We got pissed off at him, and instead of just dropping it he kept insisting he was right instead of taking the rules-lawyering elsewhere. THAT's why we ganged up on him. We weren't just defending THunt; we were defending our right to go unmolested, because we didn't have a problem with the stats. I never asked him to LEAVE; only to take this thing elsewhere. If he had shown the same kind of understanding of why we got mad and apologized, we would have welcomed him back to the forum with open arms just as we did with Rez. In fact, if he did it right now we would... or if he simply brought something ELSE to talk about. We rarely hold grudges here, except for genuine trolls."

I don't get his "harshed their vibe" or what "take this thing elsewhere, but I don't mean leave" means though.
    Their vibe must be non-rules as they were angered over rule mechanics being followed.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Otherwise the party's introduction to the fight concept is "one of you has died".
    which is kinda what happened in the story
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-07-12 at 02:16 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    which is kinda what happened in the story
    Which works in a story. Players tend not to like randomly dieing.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Which works in a story. Players tend not to like randomly dieing.
    Yhea, I was going to put something about a fair DM would give some warning that it could do 1 hit kills, but was far too lazy to type one more sentence.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Which works in a story.
    And also readers tend not to be satisfied, when their favourite character(s) die...
    (I'm looking at you, George RR Martin)
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-07-13 at 10:28 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Last edited by Aldreck; 2012-07-13 at 03:40 PM.
    "I've just had my poetic license revoked. I was banned for taking a cesura too fast and stopping at an enjambment whilst under the influence of Auden." - Stephen Fry

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dies truly developed during the dungeon crawl and Biscuit is still all out of bubblegum. The delayed falling of decapitated body was a nice touch.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, Grem is not going to like that.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    However this turns out, although I'm 85% certain they won't actually die, I have serious respect for DH.

I guess it's easier to die for your principles when you've died already.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

26. - Top - End - #296

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, because ordering the execution of the guy you were trying to buddy up to less than thirty seconds ago is a real nice way to endear yourself to the others right next to him.-

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

/fanboy squeeling

Spoiler
    Show
    Dies, my good goblin, you just had a grow up moment. Methinks you may have just deserved becoming chief.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, because ordering the execution of the guy you were trying to buddy up to less than thirty seconds ago is a real nice way to endear yourself to the others right next to him.-

Spoiler
    Show
    It's more like "Boy that's a nice healthy living body you've got there, it would be a shame if something happened to it, wink wink."
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

29. - Top - End - #299

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    That, and anyway, the infos you can obtain are usually limited.
    Actually I would consider that a failing of how the knowledge skills are run by most dms and indeed even by the source books. Most of them are AMAZINGLY cheap in their payoffs for those skills, to the point that theyre almost useless, either providing meaningless trivia or stuff that everyone knows anyway. DC 20 knowledge check- Trolls regenerate? Ooh, thank you so very much! :P Its partly a human nature problem- Many DMs enjoy the anticipation of whatever surprises their critters have in store for the players and resent/resist the idea of losing that to a knowledge roll. But human nature or cheap rules notwithstanding, that *really* should be fixed, and I'd strongly urge every DM to be more generous with the results of knowledge checks in general.

However, by the RAW Mr Fingers abilities/weaknesses knowledge check has a DC of 13 or 14 (10 + HD), so... And homebrew he may be but the knowledge check is specific to that world and thus covers world-specific homebrew along with everything else. Unique isnt really an issue either- its the unique stuff people tend to remember and talk about more, after all. For example I bet most people know more about unicorns than they do about hippos and unicorns dont even exist, thats how rare they are.
    Last edited by VariaVespasa; 2012-07-13 at 06:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Completely unrelated to the strip, but last night i was watching the livestream, and aparently Thunt is going to take his fiancé's last name rather then her take his.

"Hunt" means nothing to him evidently
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show