New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

So not related to any updates or anything, but i'm just going to link this Homestuck OC chat/Roleplay website i found for everyone, it's kinda small at the moment but if any of you are like me you probably have an OC or two you've been looking to play for awhile now.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #782
    Orc in the Playground

After Jade revealed that she'd have a grandson, I started hoping that she'd have some grasp on romance (having been led to ponder it) while Rose would be completely clueless. Rose is such an active, composed, competent character that it'd be fun to see her draw a blank and freeze up.

Moot with the time skip, though. Oh well.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Not sure Davesprite put enough thought into that prank. Kind of tasteless if someone's lost their father.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Not sure Davesprite put enough thought into that prank. Kind of tasteless if someone's lost their father.
    Again. Nobody gives a ****. About anything.

Genocide, murder, and more genocide. Nobody cares. Except who is banging who.

Just like the fanbase

5. - Top - End - #785
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post

Just like the fanbase
    You know, for a while there, I actually thought the end of the world was starting to sink in with John. Him not liking his favorite movie reflecting that he'd lost a lot of more meaningful things before learning to appreciate them yadda yadda. But no. Ah well, probably for the best.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe it did sink in a few days after they left and it just wasn't shown onscreen? The entirety of acts one through five all took place on the same day don't forget.

Or maybe they simply don't care? The world is gone and there is nothing they can do about it, but in tradeoff they got to make all this awesome stuff, play a fun game, and become gods. Seems like a fair tradeoff for 13 year olds for for as far as we can tell had no friends outside one another don't you think?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #787
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just like the fanbase
    After two years, the trauma usually has faded significantly. If they were going on and on about it every chance they got, then I'd be worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

During the first day of the comic, it's not unreasonable for the kids mostly to be in survival mode (and thus, putting grief to the side), and after they get time for realizing their parents are dead, we don't actually see them until a year later, which is enough time for them to have potentially come to terms with things.

As for the destruction of their universe... Actually wrapping your head around what that means, and feeling it, not just understanding it, is in and of itself a challenge. Frankly, I'm not sure how a human would react to that.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    After two years, the trauma usually has faded significantly. If they were going on and on about it every chance they got, then I'd be worried.
    They gave as much ****s now as they did 15 minutes after the deaths. Dave got over his brothers death after 15 minutes. And so did Rose, and John.

And in fact YES. They should be bloody shellshocked by now. Their minds should be brocken shards of glass by now.

They have seen so much death, so much destruction, so much blood, at such a young age they should be bloody catatonic.

Its really beginning to grind on my nerves. Nobody cares about ANYTHING except for feeling jams, and making out.

John has officially reacted more to Jades and DaveSprites relationship then he has to the death of his father.

It really annoys me when Condences (Or whatever. I don't even care about the next bucketfull of characters dumped out) ancestor LIKES the idea of genocide, of death, of murder, of killing of BILLIONS, the torture of TRILLIONS.

And nobody cares. "But shes their frie- no shes not. Most of them don't like her anyway. But I guess now they do. And as a friend they should react MORE to this. And don't argue that Billions of years made them apathetic cause it hasn't. By this point in their lives they should be ALSO catatonic. A person made for living 20- 1,000,000 years that lives 20 billion years should be apathetic to everything and just laying on the floor twitching.

Thing is, if the characters don't give a **** about anything except for relationships, then I don't give a **** about anything except for relationships. And since I don't give a **** about relationships (Get that planetary story of creation life and death out of my sight! I wan't to see more about who is ****ing who ) , I don't care at all.

Hussie makes such huge and important things happen, but the kids don't act like people. They act like boring robots.

edit:

Actually no! They don't act like robots. They act like Psychopaths. Boring Psychopaths.

double edit: Sorry. Sociopaths.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-09-17 at 06:02 AM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually they act like kids, who have no real concept of what's after happening and so just continue on the way it is. To say Dave got over Bro's death lickity-split is overselling it, he was clearly affected by it in a large way. It quite probably played a large part in his desire to go out and die at the green sun - similarly for Rose (who was also affected in a very visible way).

Jade lived alone the entire time and, while she lost her doggy, she's now living with her friends. If anything she's less lonely. John also has been affected by the loss of his dad - you think Dad would've let him wander around doing nothing for 2 years? Hell no! Dad would've had him working his ass off to teach him to be a good kid.

But I think the real reason that the game chooses them that young is because their minds are too underdeveloped to actually grasp what's happened. They can't understand the magnitude of what's after going down because they have no real concept of what it was like before. They haven't lived out there - even for kids, each of them are shown to be almost completely isolated.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

*Anger*
    Your boots.

Calm them.

It's just a story, if you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to read it.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Homestuck themed Tarot deck... Damnit Hussie, so much awesomeness, and I can't afford it

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Actually they act like kids
    No they don't. Kids don't act like this. Ive spent quite a while babysitting different kinds of 13-15 year olds, and living amongst them. They do not act like this. Throw a kid into a death world, tell them the planet is coming to an end, and they will NOT magically whip out needles and insta-kill everybody. They will sit on their ass panicking and crying.

Ive actually began to realize something:

There are 2 Homestucks: The Goofy, non-serious, uninteresting drama comic about stock characters ****ing each other.

And the "OMG THIS IS SO SRIOS GUYS" flash animations.

These 2 Homestucks do not blend well, and switch around every once in a while whenever it wants too.

And the second thing I realized:

Homestuck is like a rubber ball covered in glue, glitter, sparkly things, googly eyes, lots of bright colors, flashing lights and horns (The honking kind).

Its flashy and captivates you for a while, yet is filled with air inside.

Problem Slueth, is a comic EMBRACED its goofiness. Its never had pretentions of seriousness, or epicness (Except for maybe the satirical kind) and went on for way shorter.

Ive realized just how much sparkle and Razzle dazzle bull**** goes into all of this:

"Ah, the characters are stock, and the plot is overcomplicated, and I don't acre about anybody- OOOOOOH. Look at the flashy and epic flash animation.....What was I talking about before?"

The tone is so inconsistent (The flashes are always filled with OMG this is so EPIC music, and always have wars, explosions and serious things) whilst the characters sit on ass and don't care about anything except for "OMG ARE YOU SCREWING THAT GUY?".

They barely do anything anyway! Because their task is either incredibly easy, or impossible, so they have to wait until it becomes possible (It usually just solves/ breaks itself or they can now overcome it with ease). There is never struggle, just victory, or loss. Utterly boring.

I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner! I guess the slow update schedule and the growing amount of characters I didn't care about finally allowed me to see how gaudy, poorly toned, and nonsensical (With pretentions of seriousness and epicness) this whole thing was!

And it coincides with john realizing how crappy the movie was!

14. - Top - End - #794
    Orc in the Playground

ENLIGHTENMENT.
    Sound the alarms, it seems that Scowling doesn't like something. Everyone hurry up and dismantle the fandom, we are all just way past done here.

Could this mean we won't be graced with your presence here anymore?

15. - Top - End - #795

RedWizardGuy

No they don't. Kids don't act like this. Ive spent quite a while babysitting different kinds of 13-15 year olds, and living amongst them. They do not act like this. Throw a kid into a death world, tell them the planet is coming to an end, and they will NOT magically whip out needles and insta-kill everybody. They will sit on their ass panicking and crying.
    We've seen what happens to these kids when they get a chance to catch their breath and reflect on everything that's happened to them. She was called Jadesprite. The kids do care, they just don't angst about it all the time, and speaking as someone with firsthand experience in adolescent tragedy, a year is plenty of time to get all your angst sorted out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to mention that different kids react different to different situations. Some kids would panic - but extending that to all kids is one of my main complaints with regards to amateur psychology.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

They're thirteen year olds who talk like their any age between sixteen and thirty (John is the only one whose dialog remotely matches his age), who have a variety of advanced combat skills, and who are apparently capable of raising themselves from infancy (We have both Terezi and Dirk as examples).

They're also the result of a convoluted process involving cloning and time travel.
    I'm just going to say the whole Paradox-cloning process results in players who, when faced with the destruction of their planet and the deaths of just about everybody they know, can remain focused on the task at hand and not enter a catatonic state of shock and depression. The same way a Hero of Time is mentally prepared for to handle the implications of time travel, all players are mentally prepared to handle the destruction of their world and death of their families.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Also keep in mind: These are pretty odd kids even leaving out Sburb. One of them was raised by a drunk, the other a rapper dedicated to irony who fills his apartment with swords. A third was raised on an island in the middle of the Pacific, by an eccentric adventurer millionaire old man who taught Jade never to leave the house without a gun.

Only John could be called anything near normal. and even he has this weird hate for Betty Crocker, a father that has filled his entire house with clowns and harlequins to the point where John had a world-shattering revelation that: his father was in fact a normal businessman. his fixation of bad movies is…yea I think thats normal. but John still had these weird Strife sessions with his father. a father who for some strange reason, keeps leaving notes around him to earn. which while sweet, I wouldn't call ordinary.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #799

I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner! I guess the slow update schedule and the growing amount of characters I didn't care about finally allowed me to see how gaudy, poorly toned, and nonsensical (With pretentions of seriousness and epicness) this whole thing was!
    What are you talking about, that's pretty much all you ever complain about when it comes to Homestuck. You've noticed this for several threads. We've asked you nicely before to stop noticing it, and take your hatred of a free, completely benign webcomic that you don't have to read, and send it elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

While I'm not going to go as far as others have gone, I have to say, it does seem like your problems with Homestuck are with fundamental parts of the comic that are not going to change, and if they really bother you, then you might want to consider finding other webcomics you like better.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-09-17 at 04:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A coffee cup I once saw had the answer to this, I believe: "Life is like bungee jumping, you never know what'll happen until you reach the end of your rope." You can say what someone (you or anyone) can and can't do all day, but you'll never know for sure until they have to. It's amazing how people respond differently when in that do-or-die instant.

Besides, as has been said, the crew was not simply able to play - they were destined to play. Their entire lives, and that of their guardians, are written by the fact that the did and will play the game, and succeed to at least that level. Ouroboros has lapped himself, ladies and gentlemen, and he's still going.

Ordinary rules, ordinary expectations need not apply here.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm actually going to agree with Scowling Dragon on a lot of his points.

Meenah is under no circumstances anybody's friend. I mean she isn't even vaguely friendly with any of them. She's a vile, vile person on a level even Vriska couldn't hope to achieve.

I mean with Vriska I could ...kind of... see why some of them would be friends with her. Culture normalising her behavior, having actual common interests with a few other players, and if nothing else a lot of her bad behavior comes with an actual strain of reasoning. It's warped reasoning, but you can see why.

Meenah is ...horrible. She has no reason to be friends with any of them. No culture excuse, no common interests, no good nature. She's just a flat character and angry idiot.

Also, the Kids and Trolls should have had at least a bit more reference to the fact that almost everybody they know is dead. I mean I'd at least like John to go "Hah, back in the day me and a friend from school used to play this game all the time." or whatever if he's going on about the ghostbusters MMO. Or at least, wonder why nobody else he knew wanted to play it.

This is kind of why I'm excited about the next flash game. It looks like Karkat is poking around where he used to live before the game. It looks like someone is going to acknowledge the sheer weight of what's gone on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Eh, remember that Meenah isn't the same genocidal maniac that her alternate self grew up to be. It's not like she went around saying "Hey, if I was in charge, I would totally create a society that would kill all of you". She was just an angry girl who didn't want to take up the role society had designated for her. She also didn't grow up taking care of an eldrich horror that required her to kill troll's parents in order to keep it from wiping out everybody was probably a major factor there.

Now, she clearly was not mentally balanced. She went into a Joy Coma when Aranea recounted her crimes. Mind you, the Flash Game sets her into the Power Gamer archetype, so she could have been happy that alternative her had such a huge impact, but that still dosn't really justify things. This is clearly a girl with serious issues.

Mind you, I got the impression that Aranea was the only troll who really considered themselves her Friend. The necessities of the game probably pushed the rest into tolerating her, and her murderous tendencies finally came in handy against the Imps.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

*These kids aren't acting like they should!*
    Calm your pants, buddy! It's just a story. Juuuust a story.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Scowling Dragon: I've seen you in another thread asking why when you go into a thread with valid criticism and get shouted down. Let me tell you why:

Your entire attitude when you mention your complaints, which are at least somewhat valid, is "THIS WEBCOMIC IS BAD AND I AM SMARTER THAN YOU AND MUST SHOW YOU HOW BAD THE WEBCOMIC IS".

I don't know if that's what your intention is when you post, but that's how it comes across, and that is why we don't enjoy it when you post.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

26. - Top - End - #806
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Eh, remember that Meenah isn't the same genocidal maniac that her alternate self grew up to be. It's not like she went around saying "Hey, if I was in charge, I would totally create a society that would kill all of you". She was just an angry girl who didn't want to take up the role society had designated for her. She also didn't grow up taking care of an eldrich horror that required her to kill troll's parents in order to keep it from wiping out everybody was probably a major factor there.

Now, she clearly was not mentally balanced. She went into a Joy Coma when Aranea recounted her crimes. Mind you, the Flash Game sets her into the Power Gamer archetype, so she could have been happy that alternative her had such a huge impact, but that still dosn't really justify things. This is clearly a girl with serious issues.

Mind you, I got the impression that Aranea was the only troll who really considered themselves her Friend. The necessities of the game probably pushed the rest into tolerating her, and her murderous tendencies finally came in handy against the Imps.
    Yeah, but that seems a bit unlike everything outside the calliope/caliborn situation, which seems like unique circumstances more than anything else.

There's never struck me as being a case where everyone hates one player but absolutely needs them and has to use them or die. I mean the thing to remember is Vriska spent most of her life under good relations with Terezi, Eridan, and Kanaya and was neighbors with Equius. She had common ground with Aradia and Tavros and was a necessity to Feferi without treating her badly about it. She was, for most of their time, their friend. Hivebent may have lagged on but I got the feeling from all those logs that these were messed up people who either needed each other or liked being around each other, and things only really began to crack leading up to the game.

There's never that moment with these new trolls. Meenah doesn't strike me as having been on good terms with most of them, or at least not great terms. We don't really know they had anything in common and she certainly doesn't strike me as having banded together with them out of necessity.

She may not have been "that bad", but considering she was willing to stab and murder Roxy for no real reason, then showed no remorse, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that yes, she was "that bad". She's not just "that bad", she's activley worse than Vriska, the previous contender for most violent and controversial, because again, Vriska had her own twisted sociopath-logic while Meenah strikes me as just reveling in evil for the sake of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. Looking at what I said I realized that I come off as a complete tool.

Whilst I still think the things I thought before, my method of presentation makes me look both:

A) Smug

B) Stupidly angry.

Im sorry for yelling like Glen beck with a youtube account.

And after calming down and thinking about it I can trace most of my grievances to:

A) Very muted character reactions. You can of course justify this from a realism standpoint, but im talking from a story perspective. When you have choirs singing about just how awesome (As in AWE-SOME) and epic things are, to suddenly to cut away to "Derp de derp- RELATIONSHIPS!". And I understand that a constant dreary tone would be very depressing and tiring. Then don't hype things up as much. Just my opinion.

B) Too many characters. The more I move away from the 4 core characters the less developed and more stock/ blunt they become.

C) A radical shift of tone (Ties in with A).

So yeah. These are my grievances and sorry for annoying you people.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-09-18 at 11:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hmm. Looking at what I said I realized that I come off as a complete tool.

Whilst I still think the things I thought before, my method of presentation makes me look both:

A) Smug

B) Stupidly angry.

Im sorry for yelling like Glen beck with a youtube account.

And after calming down and thinking about it I can trace most of my grievances to:

A) Very muted character reactions. You can of course justify this from a realism standpoint, but im talking from a story perspective. When you have choirs singing about just how awesome (As in AWE-SOME) and epic things are, too suddenly to cut away to "Derp de derp- RELATIONSHIPS!". And I understand that a constant dreary tone would be very depressing and tiring. Then don't hype things up as much. Just my opinion.

B) Too many characters. The more I move away from the 4 core characters the less developed and more stock/ blunt they become.

C) A radical shift of tone (Ties in with A).

So yeah. These are my grievances and sorry for annoying you people.
    Much more reasonable.

As for A: Part of it is story reasons. Homestuck is, for all it's complexity, still rather light entertainment (Not that there is anything wrong with that). A lengthy section of the kid's realistically coping with their grief wouldn't be as entertaining as ghost-butt jokes and shipping tease.

B: Valid and True. Generally, the longer we spend with a character, the better it get's developed, but Hussie tends to introduce characters faster than he develops them, and when introduced such characters tend to be rather one-dimensional (See most of the Beforian Trolls, with the possible exception of Aranea)
    C: It happens. I don't really see it as a problem though, since it's usually consumed on a by-update basis, and the tone tends to remain consistent within each update/ scene.
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Presented like that, they do seem a lot more fair. In that case, all I'll say is:

The tonal-shift dynamic has been going on from close to the very beginning. It's practically a core of the comic, now. It's definitely not going to go away - and I enjoy it, at least.

I do agree with B - to an extent. But one of the themes running through the comic seems to be you have change (evolve) or die. Those characters who do not change somehow end up out of the story (in effect, dead).

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Again. I wan't to say sorry for acting the way I did. I have this tendency to (Once Im on a negative criticism tangent) to start hating everything whether It actually bugs me or not. For example: The one sided fights don't bug me at all. So once again sorry for acting like a complete tool.

I guess the tonal shifts become more and more noticeable with the continuously increasing in scope events.