New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Q 429

Ceremony has multiple options that contain an ending sentence of "A creature can benefit from this rite only once." Does that mean it can only have one casting of that on itself at a time or that it can only have that benefit cast upon it once ever (i.e. once in their entire existence) ?

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Troll in the Playground

Q 429 Once ever. All spells have the limit of not stacking with themselves. There would be no need to specify.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 430 Can a warlock swap its Mystic Arcanum upon level up or is it locked in? It seems like the latter but I want to make sure.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 431

Can an Unseen Servant "ride" Tenser's Floating Disk or a Phantom Steed? Better yet, cast all 3 rituals, ride the Phantom Steed with the Unseen Servant on a Tenser's Floating Disk in tow? ;)
    Last edited by Rub; 2018-01-03 at 09:47 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q432
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanathar's Guide to Everything
    Eldritch Smite

Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Blade feature

Once per turn when you hit a creature with your pact weapon, you can expend a warlock spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot, and you can knock the target*prone*if it is Huge or smaller.
    Bearing in mind this requires 5th level Warlock, that means the Warlock slots will be level 3, minimum.

Is this spell therefore 1d8 per level PLUS 1d8, as suggested

1d8+(levelx1d8) i.e. 4d8 for a level 5 lock,

or is it 1d8 plus 1d8 per level AFTER the first level

1d8+((level-1)x1d8) i.e. 3d8 as most spells are calculated

I am presuming the former, but would like clarification.
    Last edited by Escribblings; 2018-01-03 at 08:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Orc in the Playground

A432.
    1d8+(1d8*Spell Level) - with a 3rd level slot, would deal 4d8
    Signed

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by baticeer View Post
    Q 430 Can a warlock swap its Mystic Arcanum upon level up or is it locked in? It seems like the latter but I want to make sure.
    A 430. If I'm reading this right (from the book), each Mystic Arcanum is locked in as soon as they are chosen, because Mystic Arcanum is not part of Pact Magic class feature, but instead a separate class feature which lacks any mention similar to Pact Magic in regards to changing spells when you gain further levels.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-03 at 09:13 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q433

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Sniper
    When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell's range is doubled.
    Does this mean melee attacks such as Green Flame Blade now have a 10' range?

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q433

Does this mean melee attacks such as Green Flame Blade now have a 10' range?
    Yes, but only the initial attack with the melee weapon, not the rider damage.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-04 at 09:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground

A 433 (cont) Yes, what Aarchios said, and it's also important to note that you still need a reach weapon to benefit from that range because the spell still requires you to make the melee attack and Spell Sniper only extends the spell range; not the reach of your weapon. It's helpful because it means you can use a whip or polearm or other reach weapon with the spell at 10 ft.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A 433 (cont) Yes, what Aarchios said, and it's also important to note that you still need a reach weapon to benefit from that range because the spell still requires you to make the melee attack and Spell Sniper only extends the spell range; not the reach of your weapon. It's helpful because it means you can use a whip or polearm or other reach weapon with the spell at 10 ft.
    Thank you for the clarification. O was wondering how that worked.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q434. PHB says i can end my concentration on my spell at anytime (no action required). Can I end concentration on a spell if it's not my turn?

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

A434

Yes; that's what "anytime" means.

Powers &8^]

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q435
    Can you make horde breaker attacks with a net? Nets can only be used to make one attack per action/bonus action/reaction, but horde breaker doesn't say it takes an action.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q436

Ok simple question as it came up tonight in game. I had a character restrained using the shadow snare ability from animated cloak from tomb of beasts. So the character in question was under the effect. He casts freedom of movement upon himself. The spell says it prevents the cause of such effects but he was already under the effect. So does the spell negate it? Even if it’s a condition that’s already applied? Cause it reads like it acts like a barrier to such effects happening to you not that it dispels the restrained condition.
    Last edited by Davrix; 2018-01-09 at 04:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Orc in the Playground

Q437 Are there other "Evil" paladin oaths other than Conquest, Treachery and Oathbreaker?

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 437: The only Oath I know of that actually mentions 'good' in its text is Oath of the Ancients. If you want to be creative, you can probably add degrees of evil to the Oaths of Vengeance and even Devotion. Both can be fluffed as being more 'Lawful' than 'Good'.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 438

Can an Abjurer Wizard's Simulacrum use the Arcane Ward? Can the Simulacrum cast ritual spells? If yes to both questions, can the Simulacrum use the Alarm spell as a ritual to restore the Arcane Ward?
    Last edited by Rub; 2018-01-09 at 12:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1069

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeathIncarnate View Post
    Q435
    Can you make horde breaker attacks with a net? Nets can only be used to make one attack per action/bonus action/reaction, but horde breaker doesn't say it takes an action.
    A435: Only if the first attack with the net misses. On a hit the net is used up as its description only specifies a single creature (“…a Large or smaller creature…”), therefore Horde Breaker won’t process since it requires the same weapon.

However if you miss with the first attack Horde Breaker will process and you’re free to try it on a different creature within 5 feet of the first target.

20. - Top - End - #1070

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rub View Post
    Q 438

Can an Abjurer Wizard's Simulacrum use the Arcane Ward? Can the Simulacrum cast ritual spells? If yes to both questions, can the Simulacrum use the Alarm spell as a ritual to restore the Arcane Ward?
    A438: Yes it seems that it can. "Otherwise, the illusion uses all the statistics of the creature it duplicates." There are no restrictions present to limit any of the class features such as Arcane Ward or Ritual Casting.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Davrix View Post
    Q436

Ok simple question as it came up tonight in game. I had a character restrained using the shadow snare ability from animated cloak from tomb of beasts. So the character in question was under the effect. He casts freedom of movement upon himself. The spell says it prevents the cause of such effects but he was already under the effect. So does the spell negate it? Even if it’s a condition that’s already applied? Cause it reads like it acts like a barrier to such effects happening to you not that it dispels the restrained condition.
    A436: Without knowing more about the animated cloak it’s difficult to say, but I suspect this would be covered by the second section of Freedom of movement which allows the creature to spend five feet of movement to escape restraints. Basically DM’s call on whether that particular effect counts as “magical restraints” or not.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q439 Can you maintain concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated? Unconscious?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-01-10 at 01:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q440 So I know that your cantrips continue to progress even if you multiclass out of the class that granted them (e.g. If I took Eldritch Blast at Warlock 1 and then went Sorceror, Eldritch Blast would still give me two bolts at character level 5) but where is this actually stated? Where does it say that "at level 5" means character level 5?
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2018-01-10 at 01:22 AM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

24. - Top - End - #1074

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q439 Can you maintain concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated? Unconscious?
    A439: No. PH, p.203, or https://www.5esrd.com/spellcasting/#Concentration

Concentration
    Some spells require you to maintain concentration in order to keep their magic active. If you lose concentration, such a spell ends.

If a spell must be maintained with concentration, that fact appears in its Duration entry, and the spell specifies how long you can concentrate on it. You can end concentration at any time (no action required).

Normal activity, such as moving and attacking, doesn’t interfere with concentration. The following factors can break concentration:

Casting another spell that requires concentration.
    You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once.

Taking damage. Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration. The DC equals 10 or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher. If you take damage from multiple sources, such as an arrow and a dragon’s breath, you make a separate saving throw for each source of damage.

Being incapacitated or killed. You lose concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated or if you die.

The GM might also decide that certain environmental phenomena, such as a wave crashing over you while you’re on a storm-tossed ship, require you to succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration on a spell.

25. - Top - End - #1075

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q440 So I know that your cantrips continue to progress even if you multiclass out of the class that granted them (e.g. If I took Eldritch Blast at Warlock 1 and then went Sorceror, Eldritch Blast would still give me two bolts at character level 5) but where is this actually stated? Where does it say that "at level 5" means character level 5?
    A440: Since each cantrip doesn’t specify Class level the default is then Character level, since those are the only two “levels” you can be in the game.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/03...ed-caster-lvl/
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-01-10 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Formatting

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Orc in the Playground

Q441 How does a paladin cast rituals? I can't find anything on the class description in the PHB but some spells in his list are rituals

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

A441 A paladin does not have the Ritual Casting class feature. If one of their spells has the ritual tag, it can nonetheless only be cast using a spell slot.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A435: Only if the first attack with the net misses. On a hit the net is used up as its description only specifies a single creature (“…a Large or smaller creature…”), therefore Horde Breaker won’t process since it requires the same weapon.

However if you miss with the first attack Horde Breaker will process and you’re free to try it on a different creature within 5 feet of the first target.
    A435:

What?

No.

A net is NOT a one-time-use weapon. It's only destroyed if someone deals 5 slashing damage to it. There's not even any rule that says you can only restrain a single creature with a net; if you had an ability that let you attack multiple creatures with a single attack roll, you could (maybe) do it.

Furthermore, and more importantly, a net is a THROWN weapon. Once you attack with it (whether it hits or misses), your net is no longer in your hands, and you cannot use it for further attacks. If you had multiple nets equipped, you could, but that wouldn't qualify as "the same weapon" for Horde Breaker purposes.

So you cannot use Horde Breaker with a net (unless you're attacking with the net as an improvised melee weapon!). You could use it with a melee weapon that had the thrown property, like a handaxe, but only if the triggering attack is melee. (The Horde Breaker attack could be at range.)

Powers &8^]

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Halfling in the Playground

Q442: Can Fog Cloud be cast 25' in the air (a point within range) so that the bottom 5' of ground remains outside the fog? 1st level has 20' radius. Two scenarios: 1) fighting giants (blind them, not you), or 2) cast in direct sunlight to allow light sensitive races to fight outside of direct sunlight.

30. - Top - End - #1080

BarbarianGuy

R435:

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A net is NOT a one-time-use weapon. It's only destroyed if someone deals 5 slashing damage to it. There's not even any rule that says you can only restrain a single creature with a net; if you had an ability that let you attack multiple creatures with a single attack roll, you could (maybe) do it.
    I never said a net was a one time use weapon. Not sure where you got that bit from…. Okay, I see now that, "used up" should have been written, "used up by restraining the hit creature" as that is more clear.

The description of Net clearly states singular creatures, not plural. If it could be used on multiple creatures at the same time the description would indicate that.

Furthermore, and more importantly, a net is a THROWN weapon. Once you attack with it (whether it hits or misses), your net is no longer in your hands, and you cannot use it for further attacks. If you had multiple nets equipped, you could, but that wouldn't qualify as "the same weapon" for Horde Breaker purposes.
    Since you can move between weapon attacks there's nothing stopping the PC from retrieving their net and trying again on a miss is there?

So you cannot use Horde Breaker with a net (unless you're attacking with the net as an improvised melee weapon!). You could use it with a melee weapon that had the thrown property, like a handaxe, but only if the triggering attack is melee. (The Horde Breaker attack could be at range.)
    Other than the above clarifications to you have anything to support your statement that a net cannot be used with Horde Breaker?