New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Vampire V : Paris by Night...

Even though the factions were a bit of a distraction, I have to say I like it. It really added depth, and I think it made the game more enjoyable. The events were fun too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    14. I will not counterspell when Celestia raises the sun.
    Do you want an avatar?
    Adopt one, or ask for a custom avatar!
    Portfolio

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

Having little idea what was going on was kind of boring, but I might have been able to avoid that if I had organized more.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

3. - Top - End - #903

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Yay! Many thanks to Helgraf to running this game, as enjoyable and chaotic as always.

The roles of the remaining players would be appreciated.
    Alright - at end of game, this is where everyone stood (or lay, for the dead) - and I really wish I could remember how to do tables here.

The Roster of the Living

Player.............. - Role (Notes) - Secondary (if any) - Faction - Tokens remaining

Alarra.............. - SC Vampire (WB) - None............. - University - 1
    banjo1985........ - Clouseau (H3).... - None............. - Masqued.. - 3
    billtodamax....... - Parisian (LC)...... - None............. - University - 2
    calar............... - Parisian ............ - Blood Magus... - Nobles.... - 2
    Fin................. - Parisian (H1)....... - Resurrectionist - Created... - 1
    Istari .............. - Parisian (LC) (IA) - None............. - University - 0
    mangosta71..... - Parisian............. - None............. - University - 0
    Murska............ - Parisian............. - Farspeaker..... - Created (Ch) - 0
    otakuryoga....... - Parisian (IA)...... - None............. - Gypsies... - 0
    Penguinator...... - SC Parisian........ - None............. - Nobles.... - 2
    PirateMonk....... - Parisian (LC)...... - None............. - Nobles.... - 1
    Ramsus............ - Parisian (LC)...... - None............. - Created (No) - 0
    TinyMushroom... - Parisian............ - None............. - Nobles.... - 1

The Rolls of the Dead

Player.............. - Role (Notes) - Secondary (if any) - Faction - Died When

IXI_FatTony_IXI - Parisian............ - Spy - Gypsies - L1
    Alber............... - Parisian............ - Rabble Rouser - University - A2
    Eternis............. - Vampire (LC)..... - None - None - A2
    The_JJ............. - Parisian............ - None - None - A2
    Urien............... - Parisian (LC) ..... - None - None - A3
    Eldritch_Knight.. - Feuder............. - None - None - L3
    Lady Tialait....... - Doppleganger.... - None - None - N3
    Lex-Kat............ - Parisian............ - None - Gypsies - L4
    Khal................. - Poirot (LC)........ - None - Gypsies - A5
    Fleeing_Coward.. - Parisian............ - Phantom - Masqued - L6
    ThePhantom...... - Parisian............ - None - None - N6
    D_Lord............. - Vampire............ - Farspeaker - Nobles - A8
    Diva De............ - Parisian............ - None - Gypsies - A8
    Joxer_t'_Mighty.. - Parisian............ - None - Masqued - A8
    Lindon.............. - Dracula (CovA).. - None - None - L8
    cd4.................. - Van Helsing....... - None - Inquisition - N8
    bladescape........ - Vampire (CovA). - Bounty Hunter - Inquisition - L9
    Lamech............. - Parisian............ - Illusionist - Created (Ch) - N9
    TsukikoJ............ - Feuder(CovA, LC)- None - Gypsies - N9
    erikun............... - Parisian (IB)...... - None - Inquisition - A10
    super dark33...... - Nosferatu (CovA) - None - Gypsies - L10
    Matthias2207..... - Parisian (LC)..... - None - Gypsies - A11
    Mustiado........... - Parisian............ - Master Politician - Nobles - A11
    Lord_Loss.......... - Abm Drac (CovA)- None - Nobles - L11
    Larspcus2.......... - Parisian (LC, IB) - None - Gypsies - L12
    TigerFang.......... - Parisian............ - None - Masqued - N13
    Gray_Mage........ - Parisian (LC)...... - None - Gypsies - N13
    Zar_Peter.......... - Parisian (IA)...... - None - Masqued - L14
    Elder_Tsofu........ - Parisian (M1)..... - None - None - L15
    Reinholdt........... - Parisian (IA)...... - None - University - N15
    The_Grimmace.... - Beast............... - None - No Faction - N16

Key to the Notes
    H# - Injury Level # - Injuries carry increasing chance with each successive level that actions taken simply will not be carried out - votes will be uncounted for the lynch, actions will fail. Injury level 4 equals death from accumulated injuries.

M# - Insanity level # - Insanity carries an increasing chance by level that your normal action will be randomly changed - lynch vote will change to a random other bandwagon; abilities will mistarget or operate differently, et cetera. Level 4 insanity results in suicide.

WB - Wolf Blooded - If a vampire killed an infected they had the option to drink its blood. If they did and succeeded, they gained this condition which gave them resistance to lycanthrope-generated abilities.

LC - Lost Child - This player was unknowingly a Lost Child of Rom - the Gypsy faction goal was to try and recruit (and ideally keep alive) several members of this list.

IA - Infected, Type A - Player was infected by the actions of the Lycanthrope (who later became the Abomination). Took part in the Full Moon event unknowingly.

IB - Infected, Type B - A victim of the Full Moon event. Counted as Infected, but secretly had no loyalty to the Lycanthrope.

CovA - Vampiric Coven A (see main rules for coven details).
    Last edited by Helgraf; 2012-02-11 at 12:00 PM.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

4. - Top - End - #904

My thoughts on things in the game:

Factions

I'm not sure I got the difficulty for the faction victories correct. I will probably adjust the numbers and terms involved for the next go around.

The Gypsies and the Inquisition had a rough time of it; partially because I required living players (or in the Inquisition's case, roles to stay dead to count). I may have to change their condition to just recruited, not kept alive for the Gypsies, and slain once for the Inquisition so that resurrection effects don't hose their faction again.

The Church, in theory, had a well-achievable victory condition, but they had the -absolute- worst luck recruiting of any faction, period; I think they managed to have three people in the faction at most; two of which started the game in it.

The rules for how the University gains support need to be modified - as currently calculated, it's actually very easy for them to make their faction goal.

The Created I think I got just about right; I wanted to make it difficult for them, and they only just pulled it out on the last night.

Events
    Alright, I was -mostly- pleased with how the events unfolded, though yes, the contest was a severe fubar on my part in not specifying whether non-original works were acceptable. There weren't quite as many people 'thinking outside the box' this playthrough, which disappointed me a little, but did make resolution easier.

NPCs
    I pretty much dropped the ball on this one due to complexity. Originally, L'Emperuer, Renfield, and Adelheid were going to feature in events more prominently (and would be, if anyone attempted, vulnerable to actions taken); much like they did in Vampire IV, and like in that game would have had an impact on additional item and favor generation. Thankfully, this part of the game is easiest to sweep under the rug if needs be.

Items and Tokens
    The favor tokens will probably be retained for the next play, though they may be named something else their rules will remain largely the same.

There were fewer items given out in this iteration of Vampire, which reduced the overall chaos level - we had far fewer days and nights with no kills, though we did have one long stretch with no vampire kills because the Star-Crossed wasn't submitting kill attempts and the Beast had been jailed and -couldn't-.

Lovers
    I think this version worked surprisingly well though I'll need to clean up the SC rules just a little bit to remind them that they still need to work for their side as a whole (eg, SC Vamp must send a kill request in each night regardless, SC Villager, if they have a secondary role, must use its power).

Time and Responsibility
    I think I'm going to need a full co-administrator for future iterations of Vampire. I've been resisting this because, well, honestly, I'm more secretive about this game. Which doesn't make things easier for someone working with me, and I really need to step back from. So yes, for Vampire VI (no working title yet) I will be asking for a co-admin to run with me; and I will have to prepare events in advance so my co-admin will know how they work for when they come up. (I can crib a few that worked well or that are faction related and modify, but that still leaves some to be designed.) Hopefully this will allow me to keep the next iteration on a more timely basis so that people don't lose interest or think the game has died.

5. - Top - End - #905

The Roster of the Living

{table=head]Player|Role (Notes)| Secondary (if any)|Faction|Tokens remaining
    Alarra|SC Vampire (WB)|None|University|1
    banjo1985|Clouseau (H3)|None|Masqued|3
    billtodamax|Parisian (LC)|None|University|2
    calar|Parisian|Blood Magus|Nobles|2
    Fin|Parisian (H1)|Resurrectionist|Created|1
    Istari|Parisian (LC) (IA)|None|University|0
    mangosta71|Parisian|None|University|0
    Murska|Parisian|Farspeaker|Created (Ch)|0
    otakuryoga|Parisian (IA)|None|Gypsies|0
    Penguinator|SC Parisian|None|Nobles|2
    PirateMonk|Parisian (LC)|None|Nobles|1
    Ramsus|Parisian (LC)|None|Created (No)|0
    TinyMushroom|Parisian|None|Nobles|1[/table]

The Rolls of the Dead

{table=head]Player|Role (Notes)|Secondary (if any)|Faction|Died When
    IXI_FatTony_IXI|Parisian|Spy|Gypsies|L1
    Alber|Parisian|Rabble Rouser|University|A2
    Eternis|Vampire (LC)|None|None|A2
    The_JJ|Parisian|None|None|A2
    Urien|Parisian (LC)|None|None|A3
    Eldritch_Knight|Feuder|None|None|L3
    Lady Tialait|Doppleganger|None|None|N3
    Lex-Kat|Parisian|None|Gypsies|L4
    Khal|Poirot (LC)|None|Gypsies|A5
    Fleeing_Coward|Parisian|Phantom|Masqued|L6
    ThePhantom|Parisian|None|None|N6
    D_Lord|Vampire|Farspeaker|Nobles|A8
    Diva De|Parisian|None|Gypsies|A8
    Joxer_t'_Mighty|Parisian|None|Masqued|A8
    Lindon|Dracula (CovA)|None|None|L8
    cd4|Van Helsing|None|Inquisition|N8
    bladescape|Vampire (CovA)|Bounty Hunter|Inquisition|L9
    Lamech|Parisian|Illusionist|Created (Ch)|N9
    TsukikoJ|Feuder(CovA, LC)|None|Gypsies|N9
    erikun|Parisian (IB)|None|Inquisition|A10
    super dark33|Nosferatu (CovA)|None|Gypsies|L10
    Matthias2207|Parisian (LC)|None|Gypsies|A11
    Mustiado|Parisian|Master Politician|Nobles|A11
    Lord_Loss|Abm Drac (CovA)|None|Nobles|L11
    Larspcus2|Parisian (LC, IB)|None|Gypsies|L12
    TigerFang|Parisian|None|Masqued|N13
    Gray_Mage|Parisian (LC)|None|Gypsies|N13
    Zar_Peter|Parisian (IA)|None|Masqued|L14
    Elder_Tsofu|Parisian (M1)|None|None|L15
    Reinholdt|Parisian (IA)|None|University|N15
    The_Grimmace|Beast|None|No Faction|N16[/table]
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

6. - Top - End - #906
    Troll in the Playground

Well, i would have enjoyd it if the abomination wouldent have to kill the vampires as it ruined the game for me. if he would only win with us then it would work much better.

Also: first Devil+seer role game! WOOOO!
    Despite everything, its still me.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    Lovers
    I think this version worked surprisingly well though I'll need to clean up the SC rules just a little bit to remind them that they still need to work for their side as a whole (eg, SC Vamp must send a kill request in each night regardless, SC Villager, if they have a secondary role, must use its power).
    I agree. Because frankly even though I was a 'vampire'... I didn't work or act like a vampire at all in the game.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    I agree. Because frankly even though I was a 'vampire'... I didn't work or act like a vampire at all in the game.
    Thats what i didnt like.
    Im sure that all CoVa would say so.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Heh. Created Church. I'm an abomination to my faith!

Oh well, big deal. It's my faith to dictate as I will.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

10. - Top - End - #910

Note to self: I need to clarify how coven formation works a little bit - there's been a rule in effect the whole time that is not explicitly stated in the ruleset that the vamps have always figured out in prior playthroughs of Vampire that they seemed to miss this time around.

Other Notes
    While I will certainly continue to follow this thread for a while to give more players the chance to comment, I can safely say there will be a Vampire VI; it may be the first time in the series where instead of adding an entirely new element, that I simply make refinements to the current model to see if they offset some of the issues experienced this go about.

I will be seeking a co-admin to help run it. This installation has proven to me that I can't do it alone - or even with someone to grab the narrations. I just need a narrative framework/period to set it in so events appropriate to said framework can be constructed and the admin rulebook can be created so whomever helps me with this beast knows all the secrets from the get-go.

This game took nearly 6 months to complete - most of which was my fault for not getting the phases ended on time (or even close to on time on several occasions). For this, I offer my humble apologies to all of my players and my thanks that most of you stuck it out until the end. You all deserved better, and God willing, I'll deliver better next time.

If you have ideas for an appropriate time period/semi-historical setting, feel free to suggest them. I -prefer- to keep the game non-modern, but that is not a strict requirement - after all, in the end, I want to put together an experience that will appeal to you, the players as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf
    Lovers
    Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    Actually, I think I need to ride on team Vamp a little harder overall. There were a lot of nights where many vamps (before the massive die-off) simply weren't submitting night kills.

Perhaps put in a sort of night auto-lynch provision wherein if you don't vote for the night kill at least every other night, you go into torpor (die) because you didn't keep up with your feeding. This would, of course, also apply to the SC Vampire.

I may need to change a few of the secondary roles - some of them made little or no use of their powers throughout the game; there's little point in having a secondary role/role ability if it's going to sit there unused.
    Last edited by Helgraf; 2012-02-13 at 03:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

I was the High Magistrate before I died in case anyone was wondering where that role vanished to. As far as rarely ever putting my ability to good use... well, I came close to having to a few times but, overall it didn't end up seeing much use not, I think, as any part of bad balancing but, mostly just good luck that people I was allied with weren't too into trying to murder each other nor was anyone gunning especially for me.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    Perhaps put in a sort of night auto-lynch provision wherein if you don't vote for the night kill at least every other night, you go into torpor (die) because you didn't keep up with your feeding. This would, of course, also apply to the SC Vampire.
    Instead of them going into torpor, what if they went into a feeding frenzy? Ie, they go after someone at random if they don't send in a night kill.

If you're looking for another historical era that has a bit of political intrigue for your next setting, would 1917 Moscow or 1933 Berlin be acceptable? Or perhaps 1605 or 1648 London?
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Troll in the Playground

I would love help with narrative stuff! managing isnt my deal, and without breaking your head trying to write narrations, im sure you could manage well.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey did I actually manage to confuse any scries?
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC