Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIX: I Emptied Your Thread

Yes!

YES!

66 PAGES! 32,000 WORDS!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm not done with Semper Fidelis, but it's all over but the epilogue and a touch of exposition! And editing, of course. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SO CLOSE! I CAN TASTE IT! I CAN TAAAAAASTE IIIIIIIIIIIT!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

Also, a question for anyone who reads it or has read it at any point up to now: what Equestria Daily tags do you feel are most appropriate for this story?
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Yes!

YES!

66 PAGES! 32,000 WORDS!

I'm not done with Semper Fidelis, but it's all over but the epilogue and a touch of exposition! And editing, of course. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SO CLOSE! I CAN TASTE IT! I CAN TAAAAAASTE IIIIIIIIIIIT!

Also, a question for anyone who reads it or has read it at any point up to now: what Equestria Daily tags do you feel are most appropriate for this story?
    [Shipping][Adventure][Random][SoarinJack]

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    You ponies are CRA-ZY!
    there is enough content that I'm intimidated by my own quote block... So much I wanna say...

Thanqol et al., how would one get ahold of these books? My local game shop is pretty solidly full of 49% 4e D&D, 50% miniatures & Card games (they overlap somehow), and 1% things I'm actually interested in except for the exorbitant prices.

Also, have you ver played Zombies! ? It's a fun game, that's a board game, except it always revolves into an impromptu RP. Most notably, my last game had me trying to hold of the horde whilst attempting to reverse a necromantic ritual, our local slime-ball who we game with because of a small pool of people was trying to drag the only female in the group to the helicopter so he could repopulate the human species, and or resident normal guy snapped under pressure, started singing the ghost busters theme song, and had the largest critical hit streak I've ever seen1.

1: Seriously. I've run number generators in the thousands of rolls. His string of consecutive criticals is still one of the longest I've seen. The end game alone was 25 rounds of 5 players. He stopped failing sometime around round 3. We got to the point of dropping horde of zombies on him to see how long he could last. He finally won by collecting every zombie in the box.
    Wow, its been years since I've played Zombies!. A friend of mine used to have it, and we played it a few times at the local gaming store, but after that, it sort of disappeared. The replacement game we use for it now is Last Night On Earth. Fun game, but not as open ended as Zombies! Fun to go to ridiculous lengths to roleplay the characters they give you though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS
    Eeeyup. if I recall, they added honchkrow a couple games later to make up for the fact that Dark type's poster monster sucked royally. He's number 400-something, while the original murkrow shows up in the 251 batch.

When dark and steel first made the scene, they had only a couple pokemon each. Steel got skarmory, Steelix and Scizor, Dark had houndour/Houndoom, Tyranitar, and Sneasel. I feel we got the good end of the stick; not only does steel require some complicated trade-while-holding-stuff evolution shenanigans, but Steelix's speed rates up there with continental drift. Normally slow is made up for by high defense and high HP (which Steelix rocks like he's in socks), but there is a limit. My max level Steelix, trained for speed since birth, allowed to only fight against pokemon that give speed EVs, should NOT go after the darn level 3 ratatta.
    Well, that is because Steelix' thing isn't speed. It has one of the highest defenses in the game, a decent attack, decent hp, mediocre special defense, poor special attack, and abysmal speed. Its base speed is 30, which can basically be translated to "you go last", so any points you put into speed with it can be better spent elsewhere.

Also, just going to put it out there, Steelix, one of my favorite 'mons. What can I say, I love both Ground and Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Siuis
    Aye, there's that suave, coolness factor going on.
    Except with charizard. Charizard is just a beast. I can say with certainty that every generation- no! -every game, charizard gets stronger. He starts with slash, which in red/blue had a higher chance of missing outright than not being a critical hit. Yellow gives Charizard fly, and suddenly, he is the starter of choice. Silver/gold bring in Outrage, and now charizard is taking out dragons. Crystal had something, I think a holdable item. Emerald, ruby and sapphire give new breeding options. Leafgreen, firered, we get specialized growing for an even stronger fire move than before, as strong - maybe stronger than - Hyperbeam.

Throughout his career, Charizard has been a King of Beasts. I don't know what diamond/pearl or black/white bring to our saurion master race, but I'm pretty sure the glorious Age of Charizard is still in full swing.
    Charizard is good, but not great. Dual type flying and fire means he takes x4 damage from rock type, which is already a strong attacking type. Other than that, yeah, Charizard is pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    That would be the Eastern Time Zone; Which, coincidentally, is the same as me.
    Eastern Time Zone High Five!

Yes!

YES!

66 PAGES! 32,000 WORDS!

Hmmm....cool. I"m going to have to get back to reading it now, I want to see how it ends. I don't know what tags Equestria Daily uses, but probably a shipping tag, Applejack, Soarin, Soarinjack (if there is such a tag), and action. Basically, a repeat of what Grif just said.

@Esperderek: forgot to quote the post again, but congrats!
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes!

YES!

66 PAGES! 32,000 WORDS!

I just started reading it. On page 6, is it supposed to be "she also your muscles"? There's also a typo on page 3, "emotin." The rest of it looks great so far.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-10 at 02:45 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I would be sad that a bunch of adorable ponies didn't show up.

Then, you know, the dying of happiness. That too.
    Charger: Clearly this meeting must be held at a pony ranch.

I...I don't get it. And that scares me, because this means this will be spectacularly bad when it finally clicks. Half from the bad pun, and half because I don't see it now. Eeep.
    Jayden: *Starts grinning*

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Aaaaand there it is.

Ow. My pun organs. >.<
    Jayden: *Finishes grinning* Our work here is done.

Uh, yes. Hypothetical. *shifty eyes*
    Charger: We are having a hard time visualising a better use for our meagre savings than travelling intercontinental to attend this game.

As an aside, I've found the direct method to be terribly, utterly useful. All drama in life is avoided by direct confrontation. Everything out in the open. Potential fights are stopped by direct application of physical and mental force. Potential jobs are acquired by direct inquiry. So a creature who uses primarily distraction just doesn't jive with me.

Hay, all my current life problems are because I've gone slack on being direct. I've gotten soft :/
    Jayden: IT'S SO TRUE! I keep telling people this! There's one quote that's stuck with me forever and was part of my signature for 4 years: "I talked to my GM and got it resolved".

I have to ask, who was Storyteller? And what would have happened had everyone failed?
    Charger: The Storyteller was a RL friend of mine named Glenn. He's amazing.
    Mask: Charger has the biggest crush on him.
    Charger: D-do not!
    Mask: Anyway, had everyone failed... it wouldn't have been the end of the world, or the end of the game. Something horrible would have happened. Something globally, utterly, fundamentally horrible. It was hinted that the Internet would have been retconned out of existence, with everything that implies. The game would have gone on but something beautiful would have been destroyed forever.

I always hear these world domination plots, but they are always thwarted. Is the game master prepared to see it play out? Would the world fall to wrongness, and every proceeding game has to be done in a new world because of it?
    Jayden: Mage doesn't work like that. The enemy in Mage isn't the evil mages, or the brain spiders, or any of that. The enemy is the world. The status quo wants to hammer you down and crush everything positive about the human spirit, put every human being to sleep. Being a Mage is the ultimate double bind: You have the power to create beautiful things, make the world better, but you also have the ability to fail and be crushed by the world's backlash. Wisdom, the core of the game, is figuring out which is which.

I have this sick impulse to slog my way through 3/4ths of the plot, then switch sides just to see how far the story teller will take it. If I win, do I really get to command the world? Or is everything back to normal next game, like it was all a dream?
    Jayden: You could try that in Mage. You can join the guys who already do command the world. You can have all the money and drugs and sex you want. Nothing else. Just lots and lots of money, drugs, and sex. Occasionally you gotta kill a guy to keep humanity down. Being on the winning side's great, right?

I'm surprised no one tried to convert or redirect the idea. All I requires is being stronger than the impulse. You can't stop the unstoppable force, but as part of it, with enough Will you can guide, direct, maybe even control it.
    All: Ahahahahahahaha!
    *Faces fall deathly grim. Even scared.*
    Jayden: Someone suggested that in game. I nearly shot him.
    Mask: We're also pretty sure that that's the plan of some evil mages.

You'd make one hay of a god-parent. The other two not so much, but all that rocketed optimism has got to be good for rearin' a sprat.
    Jayden: I am enormously flattered

If there is anything I've learned from this thread, and especially all the Thanqol inspired mini-memes (), it's that crashing shouldn't happen because the brain isn't designed to compile anyway.
    Jayden: AH AM A BIG GRIFFON!

Throughout his career, Charizard has been a King of Beasts. I don't know what diamond/pearl or black/white bring to our saurion master race, but I'm pretty sure the glorious Age of Charizard is still in full swing.
    Jayden: Charizard is best pokemon. Dissenters will be eaten by Charizard.
    Charger: Also Dragonaire.

you have intrigued me.

Tell me, what should it have played up, and what should it have not played up?
    Charger: Well...

(Warning: Enormous)

Spoiler
    Show
    Charger: The Mage book and system is beautiful. It's beautiful! It's a system that requires, rewards, demands and inspires spur-of-the-moment creative genius. It's inspired. Laying out the base principles, there are 10 Arcanum - Death, Matter, Fate, Time, Forces, Prime, Life, Spirit, Mind and Space. These are ranked 1-5. One rank in any of these gives you all the investigation and knowledge gathering spells related to that discipline. One dot in Forces lets you hear radio waves, see infrared, perceive electrical currents running through buildings, everything. One dot in Death lets you determine exactly how someone died, or if they're going to die soon so on and so forth. This makes a Mage an investigative genius with an almost trivial expenditure of effort.

Rank two gives you all the shielding and concealing abilities related to that discipline. Rank three allows you to command it directly (Lightning jumps from wall sockets). Rank four lets you do anything you want to the subject which doesn't change it's fundamental nature (Electricity becomes sound - a lot of electricity will become a lot of sound because it's fundamental nature - LOTS - is unchanged). Five dots lets you Make and Unmake. You're given a phenomenally broad toolset to work with and moment-to-moment genius is what the game is all about.

However, if you read the book in the wrong way, what you'll see is a D&D 3.5 style list of spells - hard, self-contained discrete effects. It's an immensely boring read and can turn you off the entire thing or put binders on your creativity. Some of the spells in that spell list, furthermore, defy uselessness and that list makes some arcanum, notably Prime (the magic of magic) seem ridiculously worthless. What you've got to realise is that this is essentially an enormous errata block. They took all the rules arguments and weird loopholes from Old Mage and clarified them with concrete mechanical effects and consequences, so when a Time mage decides to speed himself up in combat there'll be a frame of reference other than the Storyteller throwing up his hands and saying "I don't know" in a Scooby Doo accent.

So that's my first piece of advice. Look at the spell list through that lens. It's a bunch of examples and an attempt to pre-empt as many rules arguments as it possibly can. The actual magic system in play works like a dream.

The second piece of advice is that a lot of people's brains shut down when they see the word "Atlantis" smeared all over the Mage creation myth. This is the worst creation myth ever. It's presented as utter, true, incontrovertible fact and reads like "Long ago things WERE GREAT until some guy SCREWED UP and now THINGS SUCK". It's absolutely rubbish as a history and misses the point of Mage so badly.

And yet, in a cosmic irony, various sourcebooks take this horrible fail of a creation myth and just by changing the tone slightly make it work, and work spectacularly. Magical Traditions is particularly noteworthy here. It actually spends it's entire first chapter discussing why Atlantis is part of the Mage cosmology, what it can offer your games in actual play, and how to go about removing or re-working it or filtering it through thousands of different mystical lenses and occult traditions and what that will mean. The corebook presents the Atlantis myth as hard fact, and that taints not just the myth but also the Magical Orders descended from that myth.

See, one of the biggest things about Mage is the search for the Truth. The world was broken by the Hubris of Awakened Man, and they separated the Supernal and the Truth and kept it for themselves. They then blinded the eyes of every human being and trapped them in a prison-world. Accepting reality's existence is to buy into the Lie made to keep you down. Giving a single, verifiable, canon meta-myth completely slaps that theme in the face.

If you read Mage wrong, you'll get the idea that it's about fairies and goblins. It's not, it's an incredibly humanocentric cosmos. If you read Mage wrong you'll get the idea the spell system works like D&D 3.5. It doesn't; it's a beautiful system that turns every encounter into a puzzle. If you read Mage wrong, you'll get the idea it's about a war against evil mages. It's not - one of the strangest and most compelling aspects of the setting is how small a role the antagonist factions actually play. The Seers of the Throne, Mages who serve the Lie and bad guys, are outnumbered 2:1 by Pentacle Mages and are rather afraid of all-out war. They much prefer conversation and conversion than gunfights and disappearances.

It's very easy to read Mage: The Awakened wrong. Everypony who has read the book in absence of other context, myself included, was left feeling uninspired and generally rather dreary. But if you have somepony on hand who *gets it* and can explain what it's actually about to you then it'll make so much more sense so much faster. It's absolutely worth looking into. Just remember to look at what it is rather than what it looks like.

What, really? Boy, hope Hubris isn't a bad thing... <<"
    [/color]
    Jayden: Hubris can't possibly be a bad thing! If it was I'd be in trouble!
    Charger: Brain spiders.
    Jayden: Ha ha ha ha!

Mask: And something pony related to keep this on topic:

Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-08-10 at 03:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1296

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Eh, I'm not only sane, but totally immune to the effect. Note no one in the thread ever shipped me :P
    I seem to recall shipping you with Madame LeFlour at one point, though that was a rather silly day in the thread. Want me to try to dig it up?
    Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Why, weather? You've been so dry all summer, but the one day that I needed you to be dry, because I needed to keep my good clothes looking good, and I had to do some walking to my interview, did you choose torrential downpour?!

As for the interview itself, it was pretty standard. Nothing too special, I'll be starting it in a month or so. It was actually a fifteen minute interview, which was a little shorter than I was expecting, but it had to be done.

But I'm exhausted just from the transit. I won't go into the problems that I had getting to and from the city for my interview.
    Congratulations on the internship!

If I thought it could be done without... You know, destroying my mental infrastructure, I'd set up a PbP version. Do I like chess-by-mail; actually lay out the board pieces, use diagrams, etc.

However, the whole brain-explode aspect is part of the game. I can barely keep track of the zombies in a regular game, let alone one where I can't represent them very well.

Then again... To the Ponderosium!

Also, man, you make me sad. I'm going to have to start a fund-raiser, get a bunch of plane tickets, force you to use some vacation hours and knock down your door with a bunch of boardgames in hand and playgrounders in tow.
    I'll see about bringing Descent, Arkham Horror, and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Wow. Sorry, mates. Fully 50% of page 42 is just a massive word assault, and it's all my fault...

Hm. So that clears it up a bit. You're about 3 hours away, depending on how you meant "a little after" midnight. Now all I have to do is figure out which timezone that is, bust out a map, cross reference the zone with parts of Canada, make a bunch of wild guesses, then have you break down from weariness and just tell me your general location.

Oh yeah. It's all coming together.

-

DBC, monocle!Fluttershy is the second cutest fluttershy ever. Good show old bean.
    I seem to have managed to completely wipe my responses to your text wall. Twice. I'm sorry, but I can't quite bring myself to try a third time.

Also, there's nothing to be sorry about. In my book, that post verges on being called glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Wow, it's been ages since I've posted in this thread.

So, I was just wondering. Does anypony here play MMOs, like WoW or Guild Wars? I've seen some MLP guilds pop up on some MMOs like Runescape lately....
    *glomp* Yay! Hawkflight is back!

I don't play any MMOs, but a few of my friends are trying to woo me onto Guild Wars.

I do play Minecraft, and have a mob grinder that I'm planning on putting a Pinkie Pie on the side of, once that map comes back up.
    Yes!

YES!

66 PAGES! 32,000 WORDS!

There was a line you wanted us to remind you to end this with. I seem to have lost track of that post, so I'll just bring this up. Do you remember the line? I'm also really tempted to ignore the fact I should have been asleep a few hours ago and get caught up on what you've written.

[Shipping] and [Adventure] are the only tags that spring to mind. I don't read as much fanfic as I'd like (and, oddly, still can't quite bring myself to try non-ponyfics), so I don't really know what options are available.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post

*Googles 'D&D 3.5 Annihilator*
    ...The nine hells is that thing? That's some silly homebrew contraption! Nonono, I'm talking about the Annihilator that lives in the Underdark. It's the Rust Monster's big brother! Largely the same creature, but disintegrates instead of rusts. Also bigger and meaner, like everything else in the Underdark.

...Is the Underdark D&D's Australia?
    Oh. In that case: I still I refer you my both of the aforementioned answers.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground

A haha ha. Zorro is Spanish for fox, isn't it? I just caught that.

No, I leave the foxes to the foxes. I have much love for my vulpine kin, but whenever a tricksy trick fails, and the obfuscation falls away, I'm the guy who drags a hunter into the woods so the fox can get away. Let the Soft Serves and the Raz_Foxes be the tricksters. When they need someone who will be there, dependable, somewhat caustic but well intentioned, and hopefully too nice for them to dupe?
    Thy'll know who to call.

As an aside, I've found the direct method to be terribly, utterly useful. All drama in life is avoided by direct confrontation. Everything out in the open. Potential fights are stopped by direct application of physical and mental force. Potential jobs are acquired by direct inquiry. So a creature who uses primarily distraction just doesn't jive with me.

Hay, all my current life problems are because I've gone slack on being direct. I've gotten soft :/
    Hmm, interesting. Your words are wise :o Perhaps I'll give this "direct" thing a go one day.

I hadn't really given those a good look until you posted them. But wow- the detail on those is amazing! I can barely fathom how thy would be put together. I've ne'er had that much pipe cleaner in the same room with me before.
    Certainly blows my mind. Who ever did those two got them spot on. Every day this fandom finds new ways to amaze.

But the song starts with "six months of winter coolness" so I think Equestrian calendars only have Summer and Winter, starting at the appropriate equinox. And yes, we had fall weather friends, but that was a show title and never mentioned anywhere.

Oh! Except spring is now here... Hm. Maybe spring is an even and not a time span?
    It's actually "3 months of winter coolness".

Overheat springs to mind. 140 power STAB. Air slash is a powerful flying move with a 30% flinch chance. Oh, and he can heal now.

So, I was just wondering. Does anypony here play MMOs, like WoW or Guild Wars? I've seen some MLP guilds pop up on some MMOs like Runescape lately....
    I recently started playing Rusty Hearts, which is kind of an MMO brawler type game. Very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Charizard is good, but not great. Dual type flying and fire means he takes x4 damage from rock type, which is already a strong attacking type. Other than that, yeah, Charizard is pretty solid.
    Yeah, that x4 weakness is pretty harsh, especially when you factor in that stealth rock damages 50% of your hp on switching in.

Hmm, my post is too Pokemon. Need to Pony it up with a short image dump:

Spoiler
    Show

Ducktales! Ooh woo-ooh!

A vampire I don't hate! Amazing! :O

WARNING! Brohoofs may be hazardous to your health and to the health of those around you (within a 3-mile radius):

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Banned

DERP. Wasn't paying attention, let a post slip by.

So... Hi again, Hawk Flight! I remember you because of your signature, and trying to puzzle out if ou just wanted to express yourself that way, or if you really wanted random hugs. I never dis decide which would be more likely...
    Also also, I got a this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    I seem to have managed to completely wipe my responses to your text wall. Twice. I'm sorry, but I can't quite bring myself to try a third time.
    That's cool. I lament he loss of specific knowledge, but I wouldn't want you to slog through all of that again. I am obsessive; and ven then, there are times where I want to use ritual magics to personify the forums for the sole purpose of kicking them in the nuts.

Hm. Wow, ok. Didn't seem to hit quote on anything. I must be tired.

Kurgan: I understand (and I, too, have a soft spot for Steelix) but sometimes, the cost just isn't worth it. I would rather have shuckle. Why?

Because my Epic Transcendent spell, with a DC of 100,000+, to destroy all of creation if the gods stop me from unwinding and re-writing things, boiled down to one of two creatures. The kool-aid man bustin through planar boundaries, or a ginormous shuckle. And I went with shuckle.

Seriously, what would disturb you more in the Lovecraftian sense? A giant animate shovel head with eyes, or a writhing mass of tentacles, dripping with jam of all things, screaming "SHUUUUUCKLLLLLE" into the minds of all things?

Charizard isn't the best, I was just enjoying the chance to sell him. But he has a Coolness that sry few pokemon can meet. And it seems the more pokemon we get, the fewer cool ones there are. Each succeeding generation has a lower percentage of worthwhile cool. Or I'm a grognard fogey, one of the two.

I don't know if they changed it or not, but gondra had no elemental weaknesses except Dragon. What do you think of gondra (or whatever Seadra turns into)?

Thanqol: so the Mage rulebook should have been "here are a bunch of powers, here is how they function; go make the world beautiful!" aye?

That's something I've been pondering. The difference between a 'story driven' and 'character driven' game. I am sadly only comfortable somewhere in the middle. In the White Wolf games, designed very specifically with a ST rather than GM, I would get rather upset when things that should go as planned, wouldn't. Most likely exacerbated by my needing to find a new group, as well. Guess I could do new group or new game, but not both at once...

I think I will give this a gander, though; I was at some point very specifically turned off of Mage because the premise seemed bogus. Of the oWoD games, only Werewolf held any real appeal outside of strip-mining for concepts.

DBC, I will read your story when I wake up (probably around noonish, or 3 if I hit a squall on my way home from Nod). Your writing takes a lot of energy, sometimes. To get into, I mean. Because it's emotionally engaging? Go ahead and stop me when this finally sounds like the compliment I had intended...

Esper: we seem to be seriously contemplating breaking into your house with board games. Pray I don't come upon a sudden windfall. Or that I do, whichever is more to your liking.

And now, off to bed, to recharge the hand-eye coordination. Tomorrow is a day of conversation, exercise, drawing and procrastination! (pick at least 2)

10. - Top - End - #1300

Kurgan: I understand (and I, too, have a soft spot for Steelix) but sometimes, the cost just isn't worth it. I would rather have shuckle. Why?

Because my Epic Transcendent spell, with a DC of 100,000+, to destroy all of creation if the gods stop me from unwinding and re-writing things, boiled down to one of two creatures. The kool-aid man bustin through planar boundaries, or a ginormous shuckle. And I went with shuckle.

Seriously, what would disturb you more in the Lovecraftian sense? A giant animate shovel head with eyes, or a writhing mass of tentacles, dripping with jam of all things, screaming "SHUUUUUCKLLLLLE" into the minds of all things?

Charizard isn't the best, I was just enjoying the chance to sell him. But he has a Coolness that sry few pokemon can meet. And it seems the more pokemon we get, the fewer cool ones there are. Each succeeding generation has a lower percentage of worthwhile cool. Or I'm a grognard fogey, one of the two.

I don't know if they changed it or not, but gondra had no elemental weaknesses except Dragon. What do you think of gondra (or whatever Seadra turns into)?
    Seadra evolves into Kingdra. Its a solid pokemon, overall good stats if memory serves (to lazy to look up now, but I think it is something like 95 base stats across the board). My big problem with it is that it Seadra looks much cooler to me.

I think that is a logical reason to choose shuckle. I never had much interest in that one though.

On the percentage of coolness, it varies, some games have lots and lots of interesting mons, others not so much. Black and White had a few hits, like a steel/bug ant, a steel/bug....kind of looks like a knight, and a fire type anteater.

Now, to the person who linked to Bittersweet:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wow, sad. Though I was a bit thrown off when it turned into an adventure story.

More general, when I was looking for the above image, I stumbled across this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Considering the talk of top hats earlier, figured I'd post it.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1301

Black and White had a few hits, like a steel/bug ant, a steel/bug....kind of looks like a knight, and a fire type anteater.]
    If the knight you are referring to is Pawniard, it is a Steel and Dark type, thank you very much.
    LGBTitP

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground

Used to play Runes of Magic and Cloud 9, played a little bit of Spiral Knights, but mostly I play Champions Online, and I'd love to start a Supergroup based on ponies.

Game even has Rainbow flight as a travel ability.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

13. - Top - End - #1303

so... If a pony board game is to be made, what do you think it should be like?

pony vs pony or cooperative?
    if cooperative, will it be all player against a big bad or maybe something Euro like see who gets the most cupcake market production?

or to make it simpler, what board games would you like to see ponified? Arkham Horror? Battlestar Galactica? Settler of Catan? Twilight Imperium? Saint Petersburg? anything you want to name.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post

if cooperative, will it be all player against a big bad or maybe something Euro like see who gets the most cupcake market production?

or to make it simpler, what board games would you like to see ponified? Arkham Horror? Battlestar Galactica? Settler of Catan? Twilight Imperium? Saint Petersburg? anything you want to name.
    Start simple.

Monopoly: Equestria.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Start simple.

Why would you even suggest that?

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Banned

one more.

It's actually "3 months of winter coolness".
    Really? To the DVR!

*watches*

Huh. How did I get that wrong all this time?

-

More importantly though, I think I'm finally catching up to what Phoe, Thanqol, Bobcat have been hinting I was missing. The fandom is nice and all, but... Ponies.

I let all the preconceptions fall away for a spell, and just watched the winter wrap-up song routine.

My Stars.
    This show. It's so nice. All "cute" and "d'awww" and "o noes diabeetus" aside, I feel so much better now. I almost started to cry.

I think I'm going to go to bed, let this comfy warmth in my chest germinate while I hibernate. But I wanted to say that every now and again, one must get back to the source. It was like watching a show, and feeling all the stuff you felt when you saw the trailer. The primal experiences. I'll leave off on the Bon-BonXLyra and the Midnight and even the Thistle for a bit, and just have Pony.

It's magical. If this Guran Lagann is even half as effective, you've got a convert.

Goodnight every pony.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Why would you even suggest that?
    Most accessible, probably the most likely to be ponified (in real life), if anything.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Colossus in the Playground

Thanqol: so the Mage rulebook should have been "here are a bunch of powers, here is how they function; go make the world beautiful!" aye?
    Charger: No, no, not even that. It didn't need to be radically different, as I keep saying almost everything about Mage is great. What I'm saying is that the core book presents it all in the wrong light. It presents what should be mysterious as solid fact and what should be an incitement to creativity as a closed-off set of rules that look like you have to memorise them. The lighting is wrong. The same story told properly, in Seers or Traditions, just works.

That's something I've been pondering. The difference between a 'story driven' and 'character driven' game. I am sadly only comfortable somewhere in the middle. In the White Wolf games, designed very specifically with a ST rather than GM, I would get rather upset when things that should go as planned, wouldn't. Most likely exacerbated by my needing to find a new group, as well. Guess I could do new group or new game, but not both at once...
    Charger: The entire nWoD line, when they're doing it right, acts as a toolkit. It's easy to play a game on either side of the story/character line with it, though it does lend itself to a character driven plot more.
    Jayden: Which I prefer!

I think I will give this a gander, though; I was at some point very specifically turned off of Mage because the premise seemed bogus. Of the oWoD games, only Werewolf held any real appeal outside of strip-mining for concepts.
    Jayden: The premise is "Wizards from Atlantis hide in secret societies and secretly manipulate everything". It sounds like the singular most bogus premise ever.
    Mask: But, as usual, it's all in the execution. (Also note that we're talking nMage; we have no experience with oMage)
    Charger: Now, how to make this post topical for ponies?
    Jayden: Way ahead of ya.

Spoiler
    Show

Jayden: Griffon magic. Discuss.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-08-10 at 07:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Troll in the Playground

Most accessible, probably the most likely to be ponified (in real life), if anything.
    But Monopoly kills friendship!

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1310

Hm. So that clears it up a bit. You're about 3 hours away, depending on how you meant "a little after" midnight. Now all I have to do is figure out which timezone that is, bust out a map, cross reference the zone with parts of Canada, make a bunch of wild guesses, then have you break down from weariness and just tell me your general location.

Oh yeah. It's all coming together.
    Geez, dude, it's not like I've tried to keep my location some sort of terrible secret or something, but if you insist on doing this, I'll state that the others are right, and I am indeed in the Eastern Time Zone.

Start simple.

So what place is Mediterranean Avenue?

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Geez, dude, it's not like I've tried to keep my location some sort of terrible secret or something, but if you insist on doing this, I'll state that the others are right, and I am indeed in the Eastern Time Zone.

So what place is Mediterranean Avenue?
    Hum. Tough one. What to slot into the cheapest land on the board...

I'll hazard the CMC Treehouse.

22. - Top - End - #1312

but there's already a ponified monopoly

what I actually want to know is what would you envision a MLP boardgame to be.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

but there's already a ponified monopoly

what I actually want to know is what would you envision a MLP boardgame to be.
    Smack me.

I didn't know that. Okay, I'm dry. (I don't play boardgames all that much except Risk and Scrabble.)

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ogre in the Playground

It's insane how well done these are:
    Sweet Apple Acres local TV commercial

My Little Baccano!

25. - Top - End - #1315

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    If the knight you are referring to is Pawniard, it is a Steel and Dark type, thank you very much.
    Actually, I was thinking of Excavalier

Spoiler
    Show

I picture a game like Carcassonne, where the players compete, but not in a violent, destroy their battleships, way. Everyone draws a tile and they build the pony village/countryside, scoring points for completing roads, villages, and so on. Would have to tweak it a bit since I don't think ponies have much use for monasteries, but other than that, it could work almost as it. Also, you could pretty much add the dragon expansion as is now that I think of it.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

It's not a board game, it's a wargame, but Manouvre Group could easily work for MLP:FiM... As it doesn't deal is specific casualties (instead, they have Leadership, a value which basically tracks combat effectiveness (an abtraction of fatigue, ammo, expenditure, casualties and morale) and how well you can do stuff (like get radio commands), you could simply say the Leadership increases are cute-and-pie related and at combat ineffective leadership, the infantry are just sitting down and cheerfully singing to themselves happy pony songs (or just too covered in pie to move).

Conversely, LD on ponies would be them cowering and fainting from the horror, the horror of getting all muddy or somesuch...

And on armour, you'd just assume that magic spells (songs, baleful polymorph or some such) have basically their normal effects, except that instead of actual damage, it's just the crew passing out from cute-overload of something if you get a brew-up or neutralised result, and pie in the turning mechanism/tracks (immobilisation), covering the radio/sights (externals). Or something.

Damn, you don't even have to change the rules. Like, at ALL. How awesome is MG?

27. - Top - End - #1317

Actually, I was thinking of Excavalier
    Noooo, my snooty correction Rarity mode has been defeated!

That does give the chance to bring up the fun fact that Escavalier is based on a species of beetle that forcibly enter snail shells, eating the occupant in the process.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2011-08-10 at 08:00 AM.
    LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    But Monopoly kills friendship!
    "Dagnabbit!"
    "Oopsie! Looks like you landed on another one of my hotels Applejack! That's another 500 bits you owe me!"
    "Ah still can't believe you bought Sweet Apple Acres out from under me! Of all the low down, dirty-"
    "Oh, relax Applejack! It's only a game!"
    "Yeah, it's not like I actually have plans to buy your farm, demolish your home and build a giant hotel and parking lot there!"
    "Well, yeah I know but-"
    "It's gonna be a giant toy store instead!"
    "Why you-! "
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Barbarian in the Playground

A long, long time ago I played Everquest 2. And an even longer time ago than that, I played Runescape. Now, however, the only MMO that I play from time to time is Adventure Quest Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Why would Pinkie, a known prankster, place hot sauce next to beverages?
    Can I get a 'just as Pinkie planned'?
    I can't believe that I didn't think of this. Pinkie Pie, you are so random.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ogre in the Playground

I am naturally lazy like that. There have been moments where I notice that I'm breathing, it stops being autonomous, and I had to labor to keep the ol' chest bellows pumping.

But they say the truly lazy do it right the first time so they won't have to do it again. No idea what that has to do with anything, just thought I'd throw it out there. Also, going for more coffee. Brain no worky.
    That's my preferred approach btw. It works in 80% of all cases. The other 20% are the trash in my apartment. I'm stalling because I have to clean up today.

... honestly? Except when I'm sleeping, I don't think I could go 10-12 hours without the thread <<;
    it tears my heart out to wake up, see a post by someone asking for opinions, and then hours later having come to a decision- and I missed it.

Maybe I need to tone down the thread dependence...
    Same here. But in the last weeks I always had to do something all day. When I stand up I always had to catch up 5-10 pages, and when I reached the last one, I had to leave the house. Then I had no time for replies and just opened all marked quotes in a new tab for later. When I came back, here were some more pages I had to catch up, and when I reached that end I had to leave house again for stuff.

herding all the...?
    Fine, you can have Berry Punch, I'll keep Brazen Shield, and we'll play the rest by ear. By which I mean I'm getting Braz's goat ;)
    Well, okay then. But it's still no fair deal, since Braz counts for at least 3 good fillies, or 7 medicore, or 14 bad ones.

wow, that is a hard yet rewarding word to say.
    Try Millilixietrixieshipsy.

... You win. I surrender. Just don't stop attacking me with adorable, tiny ponies.
    New plan for world domination: Use second paycheck for ordering animated Miniponies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    First sock comic that I've ever liked:
    Spoiler
    Show
    poor Rarity

More general, when I was looking for the above image, I stumbled across this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Considering the talk of top hats earlier, figured I'd post it.
    I think Rainbow Dash said it best:
    Last edited by Welf; 2011-08-10 at 09:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin