New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Into the West: Let's Play Oregon Trail II

Yes, another LP from Zarah. However, this time I'm tackling a game that's a little less daunting than Morrowind. This time, we're playing Oregon Trail II!

What the heck is this?
    Oregon Trail II is the 1996 sequel to the best-selling educational game The Oregon Trail with better graphics, better sounds and better gameplay... Maybe. It tends to be overlooked by its more successful predecessor, but it's still a game worthy of standing on its own merits. It's fairly pathetic by today's game standards, but that's what makes it so much fun to play.

So why am I doing this Let's Play?
    I recently stumbled over my Oregon Trail II CD, which reminded me of an utterly hilarious LP of the same game a while back on Something Awful. An LP where the answer to every single body of water, regardless of depth, was "FORD THAT MOTHER****ER." I wanted to see if I could relive some of the hilarity here with our own LP. Keep in mind that it's been years since I've seriously played this game, so I have no intention of doing this LP with any modicum of sanity. I aim to make this as ridiculous as possible, and recommend all of you to do the same. Let's not just make history, let's do it in the most ludicrous ways possible!

What's the backstory?
    A group of 19th century settlers travels west, along the Oregon Trail, to discover a new home among the unspoiled lands. Along the way, they will encounter rivers, towns, forts, rivers, landmarks, wild animals, rivers and probably a disease or two. Or three. Everything else will come from the story that we craft.

Who are you playing as?
    I'll be playing as the wagon leader, who will be named after myself. Five others will be accompanying me in my journey, who will be named after the first five people to post with interest to likely die of cholera. However, everyone is welcome to cast their votes into the pool.

Are we going to help play?
    Yes! You will be the ones I am leading to a new life, so it only makes sense that you be the ones to make the calls. I will attempt to present nearly every interruption and obstacle along the way to you guys. I trust you will lead us to freedom. Or death. Probably death.

So, what are we waiting for? Let's hit the road!

First things first, I need to figure out who's coming with me. If you want your name in this LP, then post here with the name that you want and your starting age (ranging from 5 to 20, then increments of 5 until 65). The first five people who post with this interest will be chosen. We will be setting out in May of 1848 (the default settings) with $800 to live off of.

Secondly, we have some other stuff to choose. We need to pick one of four starting locations: Independence, St. Joseph, Nauvoo or Kanesville.

We also need to choose where we want to settle: Oregon City, Sacramento, Great Salt Lake City, or the Rogue River Valley.

Finally, we need to decide if we want to set out with a small farmwagon, a large farmwagon or a Conestoga wagon, which cost $60, $75 and $100 respectively.

So what's the game plan, guys?
    Last edited by Zarah; 2010-02-28 at 03:41 AM.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Into the West: Let's Play Oregon Trail II

Oh.

My.

Freakin'.

God.

This is going to end HORRIBLY.

Dibs on being a passenger.
    trill in da playground

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love Cholera. Sign me up.

Age of 19

I vote for Oregon City in a Large Farm-wagon. Lets start in Independence.

I always thought Oregon Trail II was the best, though I didn't play all of the games. I don't know what happened to our cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarah View Post
    We will be setting out in May of 1848 (the default settings) with $725 to live off of.

Finally, we need to decide if we want to set out with a small farmwagon, a large farmwagon or a Conestoga wagon, which cost $60, $75 and $100 respectively.
    Note that the wagon seems to be separate from our spare cash, so we can potentially start with $740 and a small wagon or $700 and a conestoga.
    Last edited by RS14; 2010-02-28 at 02:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

tongue Re: Into the West: Let's Play Oregon Trail II

Oh gods...

I can tell already that this is going to take over my life.

I can see it now. It'll start at first with me mildly checking the site day after day for the odd chance that there was an update. "Heh. this is kinda funny." i would say Unaware of the madness slowly folding over me..

Days later my addiction would grow
    checking this forum 5 times a day for an update. hoping for more! "Pleaseohpleaseupdateupdat- Darn." aware of the madness folding around me, But knowing it was too late...

Then. my addiction will grow to unhealthly levels. with me checking constantly for an update.
    refreshing this thread every chance i get. "My Precious...... update my Preeeeecccccciiooouuussssssss..... HEHEHEHEHE!" The madness setting in fully as i live out the rest of my days in worship to the majesty of the Lets play and its creator.

That Said, Count me in.

I vote for Independence The Rogue River Valley and A large Farmwagon

Edit: Age 25. Name Doesnt matter really. (Perhaps Russell? or Malak? Im horrible with names. Feel free to name me whatever you wish.)
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2010-02-28 at 03:29 AM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    Dibs on being a passenger.
    Do you have a preferred age?

Quote Originally Posted by RS14 View Post
    Note that the wagon seems to be separate from our spare cash, so we can potentially start with $740 and a small wagon or $700 and a conestoga.
    That it does. My bad. I fixed the main post, so we're starting with $800 as a total, minus the cost of the wagon, whichever we go with. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aragehaor View Post
    Edit: Age 25. Name Doesnt matter really. (Perhaps Russell? or Malak? Im horrible with names. Feel free to name me whatever you wish.)
    Then I shall name you after your screenname, unless you have any objections. There'll be no confusion once you get sick with something that way.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

If our name is used, would you be expecting us to RP? I don't have the creativity for that (or the time) but I'd love to be in there if you just need a name.

As for the name, I'll go for Leeroy.

Edit: Unless you're just using screennames, in which case AgentPaper or ThePaper works fine.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2010-02-28 at 03:48 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    If our name is used, would you be expecting us to RP? I don't have the creativity for that (or the time) but I'd love to be in there if you just need a name.

As for the name, I'll go for Leeroy.

Edit: Unless you're just using screennames, in which case AgentPaper or ThePaper works fine.
    No, I just want names so there's a bit more of a personal connection. It's funnier to say that one of us died rather than some other random character.

Also, I think I'll go with screen names, since it'll be easier for other readers to keep track of who is really who. ...Not that it really matters, but like I said, it's funnier that way.

EDIT: But now I must sleep. Still need one more, then tomorrow, the adventure can truly begin.
    Last edited by Zarah; 2010-02-28 at 04:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

count me in!
    Dysentry Ahoy!
    XBL & Steam ID: xp194

Ninja-Jedi Avatar by Deuxhero. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Baby Binky, age 3. Let's leave out of Independence in a Conestoga, heading for Oregon City.

10. - Top - End - #10

Age 15, Fiddler. Edit: Argh, it seems I'm a bit too late. ...unless you disqualify people who didn't give all the info and invalid responses... *mind control mind control*

I say we head out to Sacramento (GOLD RUSH!), starting from Independence.

Get a Conestoga Wagon. You're gonna need lots of space for all the chickens you're gonna bring.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2010-02-28 at 09:45 AM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

11. - Top - End - #11

I'll use the names of the first 5 with whatever the starting age was when I booted up the game. However, I'll use anyone I didn't get to for the next game, should we all die early. Which we probably will.

So, according to the votes, here's what we're setting out with (there was a tie between the large farmwagon and the conestoga, so I just went with the conestoga. We might need extra space):

Well, here I am in Independence.

My fellow settlers were getting antsy to leave, so I figured we should hit the road immediately. However, as soon as I took a step forward, I was approached by some merchant, no doubt trying to swindle me as he talked about "his package." I dunno how he found me, or why he approached me on the street, but it seemed fishy.

Fellow settlers, will we buy a starting package before we set out? Or shall we throw caution to the wind and stock up the way we see fit?

I'm guessing the latter.

12. - Top - End - #12

The way we see fit! The way we see fit!

Buy lots of chickens.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

13. - Top - End - #13

No, lets buy our own stuff. The starting packages never contained sufficient medicine, in my experience. I personally just bought 1 of every medicine (or more, if I knew it to be useful). Bring the standard rifle and accessories, some basic wagon parts, basic clothing/warm clothing, and plenty of food. Don't forget dried vegetables. Also a few of the more useful tools. A couple water-kegs should be essential. For draft animals, lets go with Oxen; get plenty; as a butcher, I imagine you'll be able to slaughter any that fall.
    Last edited by RS14; 2010-02-28 at 04:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Out of curiosity, what skills did you take? Did you take any?

Be sure to buy as many anvils and grandfather clocks as possible.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Guns. Lots of guns.

If we're going to make all large animals between here and Oregon extinct, we need a good deal of firepower.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    Out of curiosity, what skills did you take? Did you take any?

Be sure to buy as many anvils and grandfather clocks as possible.
    I started as a butcher, so I have cooking as a skill. Also, the store had 2 grandfather clocks. They are now ours. I also bought a bottle of every medicine the man had, some clothes for all of us, and two banjos. Why? Because I could. He has no weapons, however, so I'll have to go somewhere else to buy those. EDIT: I just bought 3 water kegs too.

We should decide what kind of foodstuffs we want before I get carried away, though:

Last edited by Zarah; 2010-02-28 at 04:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Guns. Lots of guns.

If we're going to make all large animals between here and Oregon extinct, we need a good deal of firepower.
    And bring along lots of chickens, because what good is all that meat without eggs?

Edit: Teeth rotting candy and some tea to wash it down with!
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2010-02-28 at 04:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    And bring along lots of chickens, because what good is all that meat without eggs?

Edit: Teeth rotting candy and some tea to wash it down with!
    Don't forget the Maple Syrup!

19. - Top - End - #19

Name: The Generic Guy (Or just Generic)

Buy all the guns they have. Do't take food, just buy bullets.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

All of the beans they have in stock, and then as much as you can afford of maple syrup, candy, licorice, lard, molasses, and honey, without making us too broke to buy lots of guns when we get to that.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Food is for suckers. Buy lots of guns and bullets, hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #22

Bacon. We can buy all 600lbs of it for only $30. (Don't do that though. )

Take a couple pounds of celery, as it is cheap.

A pound or two of coffee beans.

20lbs cornmeal, 20lbs dried beans, 20lbs dried fruit, 20lbs dried vegetables. 20lbs flour. 5lbs lard. 10lbs onions. 20lbs potatoes. 20lbs rice. 25lbs pickles. 5lbs pemmican. Assorted other tastier food. Cheese? That's 185lbs of foodstuffs, plus however much bacon we take. How much have we packed of other things, and how much can we carry?

5000lb capacity. We won't even come close to that, I expect, so buy maybe 50-100lbs of bacon.
    Last edited by RS14; 2010-02-28 at 05:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Bacon. We can buy all 600lbs of it for only $30. (Don't do that though. )

Take a couple pounds of celery, as it is cheap.

A pound or two of coffee beans.

20lbs cornmeal, 20lbs dried beans, 20lbs dried fruit, 20lbs dried vegetables. 20lbs flour. 5lbs lard. 10lbs onions. 20lbs potatoes. 20lbs rice. 25lbs pickles. 5lbs pemmican. Assorted other tastier food. Cheese? That's 185lbs of foodstuffs, plus however much bacon we take. How much have we packed of other things, and how much can we carry?
    What's this? Logic. Dear sir, I think you're missing the point of Let's Plays. (No, you aren't, as there isn't a 'point', per se, but I felt that I needed to point out how you're using logic and specifics for your choices and the rest of us are being ridiculous. Also, candy and tea ftw!)

24. - Top - End - #24

I did the gun shopping before hand, to make sure we'd at least have SOMETHING to hunt with before spending all our money on food. However, there'll be money left after this, so I'll head back and stock up some more. I also bought 8 oxen, 6 chickens and some spare wagon parts while I was out. Anyway, here's our food shopping list:

20 lbs. of candy
    30 10-lbs. sacks of dried beans
    10 5-lbs. sacks of dried fruits (to prevent scurvy)
    10 5-lbs. sacks of dried vegetables
    35 16-oz. jars of honey
    50 5-lbs. slabs of lard
    19 1-lb. jars of licorice
    25 16-oz. tins of maple syrup
    30 16-oz. jars of molasses
    20 lbs. of tea

Anything we're forgetting?
    Last edited by Zarah; 2010-02-28 at 05:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Anything we're forgetting?
    Galric, lots of garlic. Gotta keep the vampires away.

26. - Top - End - #26

Potatoes. You can't be a meat-and-potatoes man without potatoes.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

27. - Top - End - #27

10 50-lbs. sacks of dried fruits (to prevent scurvy)
    10 50-lbs. sacks of dried vegetables
    Those are 5lb sacks, fortunately. Though the idea of hauling half a ton of fruits and veggies cross country amuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    What's this? Logic. Dear sir, I think you're missing the point of Let's Plays. (No, you aren't, as there isn't a 'point', per se, but I felt that I needed to point out how you're using logic and specifics for your choices and the rest of us are being ridiculous. Also, candy and tea ftw!)
    Yeah, I always play Oregon Trail to win. Old habits are hard to break.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

More gun. You wouldn't be able to defend a single hill without more gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Ideally, try to get a cannon for the wagon. Not enough gun, of course, but it is more gun.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

30. - Top - End - #30

Those are 5lb sacks, fortunately. Though the idea of hauling half a ton of fruits and veggies cross country amuses me.
    Whoops. You saw nothing. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    With the money I had left, I returned to the gunsmith to stock up more. Unfortunately, the other guns proved to be too expensive to load up on too many, so I loaded up with other provisions. Here's our loadout:

20 boxes of 20 bullets
    5 25-lb. kegs of gunpowder
    20 10-lb. sacks of shot
    1 pistol
    1 rifle
    1 shotgun
    1 rifle or shotgun sheath (someone is going to lose a toe)

At the moment, I have $16.63 left in the bank. I also added some garlic to our foodstuffs.