New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Druss the Legend!

Heh, maybe now we can stop hijacking the other versus thread. here we shall pay homage to the greatest badass of any literary age, Druss the Legend, Deathwalker, The Silver Slayer, the Captain of the Axe.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Druss the Legend!

"Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found."
    -- The Iron Code of Druss the Legend.

*downs a goblet of Lentrian red in honour*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, Sure. Now what?

What is the topic again? Druss is a badass? I do not think that is an argument anyone familiar with the content of the related stories could reasonably be against...

How about this: Actors to play Druss in a potential movie/movies.

Old Druss: Mickey Rourke.

Younger Druss: Hard call because I really feel Rourke really is the best choice for elder Druss. The breadth of my knowledge regarding young actors is slim, so I don't really know.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.
    Wow! Minsc from Baldur's Gate and Druss must be brothers, or something...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

He was the greatest man to have ever wielded a weapon, aye.
    So tell me, have you guys seen the comic book version of Legend? I think it was a pretty decent depiction of Druss.
    And the very best picture of Druss was, in my opinion, the cover art for Russian edition of First Chronicles of Druss the Legend.
    It looked like this...
    Spoiler
    Show

The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

6. - Top - End - #6

ClericGuy

"Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found."
    -- The Iron Code of Druss the Legend.

*downs a goblet of Lentrian red in honour*
    His Badass feats made Druss well known. His code is what made him a Legend. Druss is not a Badass. He is THE Badass.

One of my favourtie quotes from him "Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!". Said to the army of 10,000 never defeated soldiers. Druss then decides, on his own, to charge them. And they run. The Army. Run. From Druss. I don't blame them.

Also he managed the trash talk well. "The very mountains may tremble when Ulric breaks wind. But these are Drenai lands. And as far as I am concerned, your lord is just another pot bellied savage who couldn't wipe his own arse without a map tattoed on his leg."

And his attitude to fighting is simple. Said the earl Regnak "any advice". Said Druss "Yes Laddie. Live"

Mickey Rourke may make a good Druss. He has the attitude and the acting chps to pull off the old warrior. May need to get back into "The Wrestler" shape to do it though as even old Druss was a beast. Aside from him though who else could be realistically badass and big enough to be Druss. Preferrably someone who sounds scottish as I always picture that in my head. Comes with the Laddies.

Maybe Gerard Butler could be a younger Druss, if he is in 300 level shape. Certainly can pull off the toughness side of it. See then if he can add the humanity and gentleness Druss developed over the years.
    If I cared about this, I would probably do something about it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

+1 on gerald butler (he did a nice job in the rather crappy "timeline") playing young Druss
    one alternative could be Ryan Reynolds

old Druss?..that's a hard one...
    I'm thinking Jeff Bridges, Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson
    they all have the physique, acting skills..and most importantly, the beard
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Protect the weak against the evil strong.
    For some reason, this phrase has always stuck in my head, ever since I first read the books, many years ago.

I'll throw Ray Winstone into the hat to play Druss. I'm also thinking of another, very similar actor, but damned if I can remember his name now.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brian Blessed?

10. - Top - End - #10

Druss against the nadir in his death? Some unholy mix of Arnold Schwarzenegars body, and Sean Connerys face and voice when he was at indianna jones and the last crusade age. I think the accent would be perfect, and so would the grey beard.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #11

Actually, Arnold's body and Connery's face was exactly what I was thinking. Either this is some weird form of telepathy... or it would really be a perfect combination.
    The last crazy minstrel.

At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Brian Blessed?
    who?

oh, you mean BRIAN BLESSED!!!
    as much as I believe everything is better with Brian Blessed in it, I don't see it.

why has nobody photoshopped Sean Connegger together yet?

if this thread were on youtube, it would have 0 dislikes... or else!
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-03-17 at 12:14 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian Weaver View Post
    Actually, Arnold's body and Connery's face was exactly what I was thinking. Either this is some weird form of telepathy... or it would really be a perfect combination.
    It honestly would be. I have to admit though, that I have a hard time picturing who the perfect young druss would be. It needs to be someone with massive chest and shoulder muscles, but while there is no shortage of hard bodies in hollywood, its generally more slender and solid than thick and broad. Arnold really has/had the ideal body type throughout his career for this type of character, just not the right face or voice.

We need someone who can do a good controlled rage to really convey Druss' style when he fights. I cant think of anyone who has recently played the type of role that druss would bring to the table. He has to LOOK like someone capable of marching 30 miles in a day, then fighting a battle with a gigantic fricking axe when he arrives, he has to have that stare down ability, and a dozen other small things that add up to DRUSS. I can think of actors who can do parts of it, but I cant think of any singe actor that could do it all.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

uhm... Liev Schreiber is too old for it, right?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

If Michael Clark Duncan was white id think he could pull it off.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

mmh..I have the same objection I've formed towards my own submission of liev schreiber... they're both too tall.
    if I am correct, Druss was built like a brick..but not the tallest brick around.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Definitely not the tallest. Not too short, either.
    The last crazy minstrel.

18. - Top - End - #18

Then maybe we could go with the guy who played Gimli? Trim the beard, adjust his apparent height, and bobs your uncle!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought we were looking for a young version? John Rhys Davies was Sallah in the first indiana jones movies...
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I thought we were looking for a young version? John Rhys Davies was Sallah in the first indiana jones movies...
    By younger I mean not a 60 year old man. Honestly, to cover the life of druss, we would need at least 3 actors for young man druss on his first quest to save rowena, middle age druss when he goes on all sorts of odd adventures, and legend druss when he goes to his final battle.

Also, in my defense, he doesnt LOOK like he was in his 60s when he played gimli. I didnt recognize him as sallah either.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    By younger I mean not a 60 year old man. Honestly, to cover the life of druss, we would need at least 3 actors for young man druss on his first quest to save rowena, middle age druss when he goes on all sorts of odd adventures, and legend druss when he goes to his final battle.

Also, in my defense, he doesnt LOOK like he was in his 60s when he played gimli. I didnt recognize him as sallah either.
    Apparently he was also the voice of Macbeth in Gargoyles. Huzzah for filmographies!

As for young-Druss...I got nothin.

22. - Top - End - #22

ClericGuy

The trick to Druss is that he is built like a tank. Not in the "clean lines of a bodybuilder" style, but just like raw power stuffed into a humanish shape. I do not think anyone in hollywood with an appropriate build exists, let alone with the acting Talent. I suggested Butler as he would sound OK and looked pretty bulky. But even the arnold build is wrong. To defined. We need someone with the shape of WWE era Brock Lesnar, just raw power. He wasn't even too big either.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

For the old version of Druss I like Mickey Rourke and/or Kris Kristoffersen. The physicality of the role can be trained around and/or padding used when he's in clothes, but you're looking for someone who really looks like the proverbial "forty miles of bad road". Maybe Vinnie Jones, if he was older and if he could act?

And now, because they spring to mind unbidden...

"The youth of today," said Druss (as the wrestling challenger falls to the ground) "have no stamina!"

"I had a real woman once. Since then, I have never needed another." (Aaawwww...)

"I am Druss. Sometimes called the Captain of the Axe. The Drenai call me the Silver Slayer. The Nadir call me Deathwalker. Amongst the Vagrians I am called the Sender. But who are you? You pieces of dung-eating offal! WHO ARE YOU?!"

24. - Top - End - #24

"Druss was Dorian's hero. It was Druss this and Druss that. It was one reason he joined up - to be like Druss... and maybe even to meet him".
    "Well, he met him".
    The last crazy minstrel.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually went and read it all over again yesterday.
    Mickey Rourke would have the skills...but..maybe it's just me..but in the last decade I've always found him kinda bloated, in the face, at least. might as well go with Michael Madsen..
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Omergideon View Post
    The trick to Druss is that he is built like a tank. Not in the "clean lines of a bodybuilder" style, but just like raw power stuffed into a humanish shape. I do not think anyone in hollywood with an appropriate build exists, let alone with the acting Talent. I suggested Butler as he would sound OK and looked pretty bulky. But even the arnold build is wrong. To defined. We need someone with the shape of WWE era Brock Lesnar, just raw power. He wasn't even too big either.
    Thats why I suggested Michael Clark Duncan. Damn it, if he was white he would be perfect. He doesnt have the precisely defined muscles, but he is just fairly massively built. Its as close to perfect as we can get without giving someone a 6 month training regime first. Any height issues could be dealt with easily enough with proper camera angles and perspectives. Its the build thats important.

27. - Top - End - #27

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats why I suggested Michael Clark Duncan. Damn it, if he was white he would be perfect. He doesnt have the precisely defined muscles, but he is just fairly massively built. Its as close to perfect as we can get without giving someone a 6 month training regime first. Any height issues could be dealt with easily enough with proper camera angles and perspectives. Its the build thats important.
    Could we accept a Black Druss??? If so then he is perfect. Allthough if Robert Downey Jnr can become Black for a film.......

(If not then I would choose Edris Elba or MCD to be the Swordmaster from Winter Warriors, one of the most interesting and poignant Drenai books out there.)

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Omergideon View Post
    Could we accept a Black Druss??? If so then he is perfect. Allthough if Robert Downey Jnr can become Black for a film.......

(If not then I would choose Edris Elba or MCD to be the Swordmaster from Winter Warriors, one of the most interesting and poignant Drenai books out there.)
    Bison was awesome in that story. But yeah, the entire story was great. I honestly have to go back through them all again as when I first read them it was all about enjoying the awesome killing of monsters and heroic last stands. Now that im older I can enjoy the subtext and messages in them all.

*EDIT* As for a black druss. It COULD work, if only because Druss wasnt really a specific races champion. He fought for and against every group of people in the world. Its one of the biggest reasons why EVERYONE had a great deal of respect and awe for him. So his actual race isnt that big of a deal really. However, it may be as jarring as black Fisk in Daredevil.
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-03-19 at 12:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

ClericGuy

You can tell someone who read the book by saying 3 words.
    "big white wings"

Also it made you feel sympathy for the Lord of Demons. Literally. no mean feat.

30. - Top - End - #30

Big white wings, yeah...
    Good book.
    The last crazy minstrel.