New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Supernatural: Things That Get Bumped Off In The Night

So after not finding a Supernatural thread anywhere here, I figured I'd make one. Because, damn, it is the best. Two badass brothers driving around the countryside in a classic car, hunting down the nightmares of small children and beating the crap out of them with knives, shotguns, magic, and their bare fists? Awesome.

I've been a fan of the show since it first aired, and I have all the seasons currently available on DVD. Love watching them. The commentary is always hilarious, but they're always just great. My personal favourite seasons were Four and Five (the biblical Apocalypse), but the new season that has just started looks very very promising. We might actually get to see Crowley be the proper Big Bad and take the position of primary antagonist that I've always wanted to see him in - he's just such a stylish villain, I really want to see him go all out for once.

Any thoughts on the latest episode, upcoming informtion for the season, or the seasons past? We should be discussing this show, it's great.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Supernatural: Things That Get Bumped Off In The Night

I'm wondering what sort of creature Dean released on the world by his get-out-of-purgatory deal.

What happened to the Angel Friend Cass.

Always a fan of the show. I loved that Sam stoppd hunting to care for a dog...I wonder what happrened to it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I'm also kind of miffed at Dean getting to yell at Sam. "You quit for a year because you thought I was dead! That's unconscionable and I would never ever do that! Except for that time a year ago when I thought you were dead and stopped hunting because I had become part of a family with a woman and her son but that's totally different somehow!"

As for Castiel, well, I think every season since we met the guy, we've just been treated to "What wacky thing is the Universe doing to Cas this year?" Trying to figure out where he is and what's happened to him seems to be a driving point for other characters.

Very eager to see what Dean let out of the Pit when he escaped, and what happened in Purgatory to make them such good friends, or what "keep your nose clean" means in this context. You just know that's gonna pop up to hurt them.

But yeah, very excited to see where this season takes us. Badass prophet, reunited boys, and Crowley finally getting to show that he really is the King of Hell and not just a fair-weather friend to the boys who they can shrug off when they don't need him any more. Looking real good.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Ok, so at the end of episode 3 Sam has killed 2 gods with Mjolnir... and then leaves it? Why isn't it in the trunk with them at all times in case they need to kill gods? Sorry for bad formatting, I just spent a long time searching the forums I like for Supernatural for a thread just to vent about this.
    Thanks to Qwernt for the awesome Chibithulhu Avatar!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been watching it since like the ninth episode and been hooked since as well.

Despite my fandom I'd have preferred the series to have ended with Sam's swandive. It was a perfect and well rounded ending.

The whole Sam without a soul wasn't too bad, though the Leviathans... after the angel and demons and lucifer and end of the world... they were so anticlimactic.

I felt they could have done so much freaking more with the whole 'horrible things from beyond, what with them even bringing Lovecraft into it. Really, leviathans weren't scary. At all.

Then we find out that all purgatory is is some wooded lot? Again, so much more could have been done with it.

Despite that, I like this latest season and Dean going barbarian with his flint axe. I think they need to make him a little more jittery though, more feral, than he is. He had like the hiccups his first day back, then it's all good.

So does this mean his weapon can kill souls? Was doing fine in purgatory. Would be cool if we find out it can kill ghosts, demons, whatever. Wondering if that's not where Ruby's knife came from.
    Last edited by Silkspinner; 2012-11-03 at 03:19 PM.
    @}--,--'-- The Angels That Fell Sideways --,--'--{@

(Come in, Read, Critique)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm finding the new season to be kinda meh but then I've never liked the drama filled story episodes and prefer the monster of the week episodes.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

I watched the first few seasons, but then when it got plot-driven I missed a few episodes and didn't feel like I could keep watching unless I watched all of it - and at that point I'd lost a bit of interest in it because I tend to prefer "monster of the week" type shows. I started watching it again from the start, but now I don't have access to the same copies as I had before, so I still haven't caught up with it (on the rewatch, I was half-way through the episode with the guy who could tell people to do what he wanted - season 2, I think)

Annnnnd now I can never come into this thread again because it will be full of spoilers :I
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-11-05 at 06:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I watched the first few seasons, but then when it got plot-driven I missed a few episodes and didn't feel like I could keep watching unless I watched all of it - and at that point I'd lost a bit of interest in it because I tend to prefer "monster of the week" type shows. I started watching it again from the start, but now I don't have access to the same copies as I had before, so I still haven't caught up with it (on the rewatch, I was half-way through the episode with the guy who could tell people to do what he wanted - season 2, I think)

Annnnnd now I can never come into this thread again because it will be full of spoilers :I
    I watched the early morning episodes on TNT I think.

I still do because I always missed last 10 minutes of episodes in colege because I had a club meeting to get to.

The newest episode (appeared Oct 30) appears to be Benny (dude Dean freed) gets in trouble and Dean has to help.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

I really like the early series of Supernatural. Once it got all Angels vs. Demons with S&D caught in the middle, I really kinda went off it. Series 6, especially, really bugged me because it all ended neatly at the end of Series 5 aaaannd started again, how?

I'm with Serp on this one; the "monster of the week" episodes are far and away better than the plot ones.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

monster of the week was fun, espeacially for the lore that the show brings to it.

the reason for the season six and ongoing was popularity, the original writer intended the fifth season to be the end, with sam in hell and Dean in the suburbs, not sure which seemed worse though.

looks like the episode next week has Cas reappear which should give something more for them to do.
    Call me Crazy

11. - Top - End - #11

It may have happened later in the series that I haven't watched, but it'd be nice if they had some more international monsters (anyone else think it's weird that the apocalypse always starts in the US? No one?). It's cool that they have a fair few native American stuff, and I think there was a djinn or two, but there's some really cool stuff in other cultures. Can you imagine Sam and Dean coming up against a Malaysian vampire (a flying head and gastrointestinal system), or a wowie (Australian aboriginal giant lizard monster thing), or that Japanese creature that pretends to be a beautiful woman but is actually an evil white fox?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    ...it'd be nice if they had some more international monsters
    Once again, I'm in total agreement here. There was really only lip service paid to anything with specific origins outside the US and the fact that the apocalypse was apparantly localised (or at least all the main events were) in America kind of bugged me. Especially given that the "lore" it draws from originated largely in the middle-east.

Still, I can forgive the americanocentricism (which is totally a word I just made up) for the awesome soundtrack though!

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh and Loki, Ananansi and all the other tricksters really being the Archangel Gabriel? What was up with that? I really liked the Trickster right up to that little revelation.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

13. - Top - End - #13

AAARRRRGHKGLEBLARGLE that actually was a spoiler v.v

Cool that they brought Loki back, though. I really liked him. With as little spoileriness as you can manage, was it ever made a point of that Loki was actually on their side and trying to help?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

As far as I remember they only went international once, which they actually mentioned in the episode, when they went to find crowley's bones, though I haven't seen anything of season 7 aside from the first episode.

so yeah, something in japan might be interesting, Japan has alot of interesting myths and folklore to work off of.
    Call me Crazy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah I liked the one with the booze spirit and it would be awesome to see more of the weird creatures that exist all around the world. I for one would love to see them tackle a Skoffin which is a creature that hatches from a rooster egg and kills everyone it looks at. The only way to kill it is to get it to look at itself in a mirror.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Yeah I liked the one with the booze spirit and it would be awesome to see more of the weird creatures that exist all around the world. I for one would love to see them tackle a Skoffin which is a creature that hatches from a rooster egg and kills everyone it looks at. The only way to kill it is to get it to look at itself in a mirror.
    Yes, the oriental booze spirit was sweet.
    Is a Skoffin a bird-like Basilisk aka Cockatrice?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Yes, the oriental booze spirit was sweet.
    Is a Skoffin a bird-like Basilisk aka Cockatrice?
    Nah it looks like a cat.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled