New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 57 Can Plane Shift be twinned if you're using the single target "banish an unwilling creature" version of the spell?
    A57: Since you can use a version of the spell to target more than one person; I suspect you cannot use Twin on the other portion of the same spell- even if it does only affects 1 creature.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A57: Since you can use a version of the spell...
    That was exactly my thought as well. But what made me wonder was that you can, for instance, twin Hold Person when cast at 2nd level but not at a higher level, implying that a single-target version of the spell is twinnable even when the spell has a multi-target version.

Q 58 If you're attuned to a magic item and then something happens that causes you to no longer meet the requirements to attune, do you immediately unattune or have you been sort of grandfathered in by virtue of already being attuned?

A 58 I found the answer in the DMG since posting this--p.138. Attunement ends.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-02-11 at 11:57 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    That was exactly my thought as well. But what made me wonder was that you can, for instance, twin Hold Person when cast at 2nd level but not at a higher level, implying that a single-target version of the spell is twinnable even when the spell has a multi-target version.
    My thinking is, as soon as a spell fails to met the Twin Spell criteria it can no longer be Twinned. So, with Hold Person, the spell is legal until you up cast it; whereas Plane Shift is ineligible right out the gate.

Similar to how you can't Twin a Scorching Ray, even though you only targeted one dude with it.

But that's just me, YMMV.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 59 (Sorry for the bit of setup for this hypothetical.)

My fifth level bard has a proficiency of +3, but doesn't have Arcana trained. Luckily, I have:

JACK OF ALL TRADES
    Starting at 2nd levei, you can add half your proficiency
    bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that
    doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.
    Now, let's say a seperate effect asks me to double my proficiency bonus on an ability check that includes Arcana. Does my proficiency double to +6 before being halved by Jack of All Trades? Does my Jack of All Trades apply first, to the +1 bonus I always have being doubled to +2; or, since I am not trained that proficiency, do I get anything multiplied at all?
    Last edited by MythrilShotgun; 2017-02-12 at 07:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by MythrilShotgun View Post
    Q 59 (Sorry for the bit of setup for this hypothetical.)

My fifth level bard has a proficiency of +3, but doesn't have Arcana trained. Luckily, I have:

JACK OF ALL TRADES
    Starting at 2nd levei, you can add half your proficiency
    bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that
    doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.
    Now, let's say a seperate effect asks me to double my proficiency bonus on an ability check that includes Arcana. Does my proficiency double to +6 before being halved by Jack of All Trades? Does my Jack of All Trades apply first, to the +1 bonus I always have being doubled to +2; or, since I am not trained that proficiency, do I get anything multiplied at all?
    A59: Jack of All Trades is what is giving you a proficiency bonus in the first place. The second effect is modifying that proficiency bonus, thus +1 will become +2.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

A 57 I think this one (whether Plane Shift is sometimes twinnable) might be a bit too elaborate for this thread so I'm making a separate post.

A 59: I think it's +3 and here's why. Your proficiency bonus is +3. The wording of JoaT isn't that the bonus changes to half of what it normally is. It's that you only get to use half of it. So if something says it doubles your proficiency bonus, it becomes +6 but JoaT only allows you to use half of that.

Can you say what the other effect is? This is about the RAW, so I feel like we need to know the specifics. Expertise is the only thing that comes to mind so I'm assuming this is some magic item. The actual wording of this effect might change my interpretation.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-02-12 at 09:56 AM.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Q59 (Continued)
    Well, the initial question came from the wording in the PHB under the Proficiency section. However, in the DMG I did find a few magic items that do apply in this situation.

TALISMAN OF THE SPHERE

Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)

When you make an Intelligence (Arcana) check to
    control a sphere of annihilation while you are holding
    this talisman, you double your proficiency bonus on the
    check. In addition, when you start your turn with control
    over a sphere of annihilation, you can use an action to
    levitate it 10 feet plus a number of additional feet equal
    to 10 x your Intelligence modifier.
    Obviously my 5th lvl bard wouldn't have this magical item, but is a RAW example of such that doesn't automatically include an existing proficiency.. Though I imagine the most common example of doubling or halving proficiency bonuses would be situational as by the DM.

Q60: When using Minor Illusion to create a short sound, such as a thud or firecracker, something that would last less than a round, would there be time for the observers of the illusion to spend an action to examine it? And since the physical interaction with such doesn't apply, would short bursts of sound through this spell be auto-believed?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

A 60 I guess the sound equivalent to an investigation check would be listening closely to a sound for 1 action and it might not give time to do that if it's very brief. Still, that doesn't mean it's "auto-believed". Keep in mind that even if an illusion is very realistic, a creature could be skeptical depending on the context. For instance, if there's someone who's clearly a caster in the room and you see them make a strange gesture with their arcane focus and then you hear a wolf growling behind a door but you're in a city... You get the idea. At that point, an insight check might be called for rather than an investigation to see if they see through the illusion (or hear in this case).

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q61
    If you get bonus spells from something like a Cleric domain, a Druid circle or a Paladin oath, do you they count as spells for that class and so would use that class's spell modifier.
    E.g.
    An Oath of Vengeance Paladin 3/Ranger 5 gets Bane and Hunter's mark as bonus spells that are always prepared. If they had a higher Wis than Cha modifier, could they use Bane as a Ranger spell and so their spell save DC would be higher than if they used it as a Paladin spell?

Would it change if the spell was on both classes spell lists, but the spells known casting class didn't have it and the spells prepared class had it auto-prepared?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Ship's dog View Post
    Q61
    If you get bonus spells from something like a Cleric domain, a Druid circle or a Paladin oath, do you they count as spells for that class and so would use that class's spell modifier.
    E.g.
    An Oath of Vengeance Paladin 3/Ranger 5 gets Bane and Hunter's mark as bonus spells that are always prepared. If they had a higher Wis than Cha modifier, could they use Bane as a Ranger spell and so their spell save DC would be higher than if they used it as a Paladin spell?

Would it change if the spell was on both classes spell lists, but the spells known casting class didn't have it and the spells prepared class had it auto-prepared?
    A61 Not unless they had the spell taken in both classes and used the corresponding slot. You can't cast a spell from one class with anothers slots, although I'm not sure if you can use sorcery points to create slots for another class or not. Speaking of which...

Nope, nevermind, Ignore me!
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-02-14 at 01:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Arenabait View Post
    You can't cast a spell from one class with anothers slots, although I'm not sure if you can use sorcery points to create slots for another class or not. Speaking of which...

Q62 Can you use sorcery points to create spell slots for another class?
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-02-13 at 01:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Goblin

Q62 Can you use sorcery points to create spell slots for another class?
    Spell slots are not "classed." Unless you are a warlock you have a single spell slot progression which different classes progress at different rates. The answer is that sorcery points can be converted into spell slots. Since there's no such thing as a wizard spell slot or a sorcerer spell slot the question doesn't make sense in the context of 5e.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

A61 Not unless they had the spell taken in both classes and used the corresponding slot. You can't cast a spell from one class with anothers slots, although I'm not sure if you can use sorcery points to create slots for another class or not. Speaking of which...
    A 61 This is not accurate. Your spell slots are universal and can be used to cast any spell you know. Think of them as just generic energy you have stored for casting the spells you know. Your spells known are based on specific classes. So any spells you know from being a ranger use a ranger's casting stat. Any spells you know from being a paladin use a paladin's casting stat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ship's dog View Post
    If you prepare a spell as a paladin, you use the paladin casting stat for those specific spells. Same idea. A paladin can prepare a certain number of spells a day and all those spells would use the paladin casting stat.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-02-13 at 01:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

ElfMonkGuy

Q63:When you look at Warforged, one of the Subraces is the Juggenaut.

It has an ability called Heavy Plating and it states
    Heavy Plating. A Warforged Juggernaut's AC is 18. This plating is treated as heavy armor. You are proficient with this heavy armor. You have disadvantage on all Stealth (Dexterity) checks.
    Does this mean that you can increase your AC to higher than this or will it always be 18?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q63:When you look at Warforged, one of the Subraces is the Juggenaut.

It has an ability called Heavy Plating and it states

Does this mean that you can increase your AC to higher than this or will it always be 18?
    A63: First, it's homebrew, in UA warforged has no subclass, so if your DM allows you to use it you can read this as he deside.
    And second, if look up in this homebrewyou will see this
    As a Warforged, your body is covered in plating that makes you inherently armored but as a result you cannot wear any armor unless it is specifically Warforged. Other races cannot wear your armor. Your construction incorporates wood and metal, granting you a +1 bonus to Armor Class which stacks with your sub race. Your plating can be enchanted like a normal set of armor.
    So there is nothing saying you can't increase it. To do so you may take shield (martial or spell), fighting stile or enchante it with magic (like artificer do).
    And as quote says juggernaut will have 19 AC at start.
    Last edited by Godshoe; 2017-02-13 at 10:07 PM.
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

16. - Top - End - #136

Q64

When you miss on the touch attack for inflict wounds, does one lose the spell slot it was cast?

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    Q64

When you miss on the touch attack for inflict wounds, does one lose the spell slot it was cast?
    A64 Yes, hence the high damage for a 1st level spell

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q65A&B Two part question because it's unclear
    Spoiler: SHIELD OF MISSILE ATTRACTION
    Show

Armor (shield), rare (requires attunement)
    While holding this shield, you have resistance to damage from ranged weapon attacks.
    Curse. This shield is cursed. Attuning to it curses you until you are targeted by the remove curse spell or similar magic. Removing the shield fails to end thecurse on you. Whenever a ranged weapon attack is made against a target within 10 feet of you, the cursecauses you to become the target instead.

Spoiler: Arrow catching Shield
    Show
    ARROW-CATCHING SHIELD
    Armor (shield), rare (requires attunement)
    You gain a +2 bonus to AC against ranged attacks while you wield this shield. This bonus is in addition to the shield's normal bonus to AC. In addition, whenever an attacker makes a ranged attack against a target within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to become the target of the attack instead.

Spoiler: Shields are wielded
    Show
    Shields. A shield is made from wood or metal and is carried in one hand. Wielding a shield increases your Armor Class by 2. You can benefit from only one shield at a time.

Spoiler: wildshape 'deets
    Show

take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a

spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast.You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any o f your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.

You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, m erges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to w ear a piece of equipment, based on the creature’s shape and size. Your equipment doesn’t change size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can’t w ear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.

Spoiler: dmg item activation
    Show
    ACTIVATING AN ITEM
    Activating some magic items requires a user to do something special, such as holding the item and uttering a command word. The description of each item category or individual item details how an item is activated. Certain items use one or more of the following rules for
    their activation.
    If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Item action, so a feature such as the rogue's Fast Hands can't be used to activate the item.

Spoiler: dmg on magic items resizing
    Show
    In most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn
    can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or the magically adjust themselves to the wearer.

Rare exceptions exist. If the story suggests a good reason for an item to fit only creatures of a certain size orshape, you can rule that it doesn't adjust. For example, armor made by the drow might fit elves only.

Magic items resize to fit the user & the ac bonus from a shield would obviously require you to wield it in your hand/wear it on your arm, but sometimes things get murky when you start doing things like combining a magical cursed shield of missile attraction (SoMA) that won't allow you to get rid of it without breaking the curse with remove curse or similar.

Unlike the shield of arrow catching where it explicitly states you need to "wield" it, the SoMA simply states that it must be "held" to gain its benefits, but it's also not clear if simply holding it applies to both the resist & attraction.

Q65A: Do the magical effects of the SoMA work while wildshaped into a form that could hold it on a nbecklace/earing/bracelet but not wield it?
    Q65B: If so, Which parts?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

A 65 Unless specified otherwise, for a magic item to work, it must be worn or wielded in the manner its intended, e.g. a shield must be donned on the arm, a helm worn on the head, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrasodium View Post
    Magic items resize to fit the user
    This is only the default for worn items. Weapons, for instance, don't resize unless the item specifically says it does. Cloaks, armor, rings, and so forth will typically resize to fit.

20. - Top - End - #140

ElfMonkGuy

Q66 The Monk's stunning strike ability states:
    Starting at 5th level, you can interfere with the flow of ki in an opponent’s body. When you hit another creature with a melee weapon attack, you can spend 1 ki point to attempt a stunning strike. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of your next turn.
    Therefore does that mean the size of a target does not come into play only their con save.

TLDR Version: Can a Monk use Stunning Strike on a Dragon?

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q66 The Monk's stunning strike ability states:

Therefore does that mean the size of a target does not come into play only their con save.

TLDR Version: Can a Monk use Stunning Strike on a Dragon?
    A66 If nothing says you can't, there's nothing to stop you. Effects where the target's size matters say so clearly, like the Battle Master's Trip Attack only working on a large or smaller target. For Stunning Strike, the explanation I've seen is that it's more about hitting pressure points and such than "hitting him so hard he's stunned".

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    A64 Yes, hence the high damage for a 1st level spell
    I understand the reasoning, but how is that reasoning RAW?

23. - Top - End - #143

Q67: levitate spell says:
    Vou can ehange the target's altitude by up to
    20 feet in either direetion on your turn. lf you are the
    target, you can move up or down as part of your move.
    Does it mean you can move for only 20 ft or you can more?
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q68:

Does frenzying on the turn FOLLOWING raging use the bonus action?

• Rage
      • In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.
      • While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armour:
        • You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
        • When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
        • You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
      • If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.
      • Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.
      • Once you have raged the number of times showncfor your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.
    • Frenzy
      • Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. If you do so, for the Duration of your rage you can make a single melee weapon Attack as a Bonus Action on each of your turns after this one. When your rage ends, you suffer one level of Exhaustion (as described in Conditions ).
    Assume on turn 1 I rage but I don't frenzy.

I know I can then frenzy on any subsequent turn, but does it cost me a bonus action to do so?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q69:

Can I use a grappled creature as an improvised weapon?

The grappling rules allow for a weapon attack if you have a free hand.

But what if your grappling 2 creatures?

Can I bang their heads together? I would assume I can.

If yes, dies this also apply if their prone? I would assume not.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q67: levitate spell says:
    Does it mean you can move for only 20 ft or you can more?
    A67 You only have 20 feet of up-and-down levitation movement to work with, but it can be "part of your move" (so paired with walking, climbing, pulling yourself along a ceiling etc.) to get up to your total movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q68:

I know I can then frenzy on any subsequent turn, but does it cost me a bonus action to do so?
    A68 Nothing in the Frenzy feature says that it requires any action (bonus or otherwise) to start as long as you are raging. Edit: I didn't word this very well: By "as long as you are raging" I meant "as long as you are activating rage" rather than "as long as you are already raging". See the next couple posts for more clarity.

Q69:

Can I use a grappled creature as an improvised weapon?

The grappling rules allow for a weapon attack if you have a free hand.

But what if your grappling 2 creatures?

Can I bang their heads together? I would assume I can.

If yes, dies this also apply if their prone? I would assume not.
    A69 There are no rules one way or the other on using a creature as an improvised weapon or banging two grappled creatures together. Since there isn't a RAW answer, this falls squarely into "Ask your DM" territory. Sorry.
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-02-15 at 11:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

SwashbucklerGuy

Q68:

You cannot rage (normal rage), and then turn that normal rage into a frenzy rage later on.

'You can go into a frenzy when you rage' does not mean 'you can turn you rage into a frenzy while in the middle of a non-frenzy rage'.

It means that when you rage, that is: at the moment you trigger your rage, you can choose to rage as normal OR choose to make that rage a frenzy.

You make the choice (frenzy or normal rage) at the moment you use the bonus action to trigger the rage, and then it is set as that kind of rage for the duration of that rage.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    It means that when you rage, that is: at the moment you trigger your rage, you can choose to rage as normal OR choose to make that rage a frenzy.
    You beat me to it. I was going to say that I would allow it but this is the RAW thread and so we must give the RAW answer which is specific--you must choose at the time you rage. It says "when you rage"; not "while raging".

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q70:

Grappling and the Frenzy bonus attack

In this "manual" - The Grappler's Manual (2.0) - Grappling in 5th Edition

It states
    You cannot replace bonus action attacks (e.g. from the Monk or a Barbarian's Frenzy) with grapples.
    But make no mention either way when it talks about shoving prone.

So, if I frenzy, can I use my attack to grapple, and (if successful) my bonus to shove prone?

30. - Top - End - #150

Q70:

So, if I frenzy, can I use my attack to grapple, and (if successful) my bonus to shove prone?
    A70 "You cannot replace bonus action attacks (e.g. from the Monk or a Barbarian's Frenzy) with grapples" isn't something that comes word for word from the rules. What the rules do say is "you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple." and this does has the effect of preventing grappling as part of a bonus action that includes an attack without being the Attack action (and also preventing grappling during a reaction like an Opportunity Attack). There's similar language in the Shoving a Creature rules ("Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you.") so you wouldn't be able to shove with your Frenzy bonus attack.

Both Grappling and Shoving a Creature say you can use these special melee attacks in place of a single attack if you have multiple attacks with the Attack action so once you get the Extra Attack feature you could grapple and shove as your Attack action and then make an attack with your bonus action using Frenzy.
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-02-15 at 01:43 PM.