New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I know it's not what's annoying you, Zodi, but it's also perfectly possible to like a character who would be a bad person in real life too. Or even one who's a bad person to the world of fiction they come from. Some of those people really need to chill out.
    CoughDiocough.

But yeah I get what you mean.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I've never heard anyone say that about Tony Stark. Then again, I don't tend to get into conversations about the MCU terribly often, so there's that.

I only half-watched Black Panther, but I remember thinking the villain kinda made some good points.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Killmonger was right it was his methods that were wrong
    The guy who goes "Europeans robbing my people of their cultural heritage is wrong" and then stealing a mask he clearly stated did not belong to his culture because it looks cool in the same minute as his ntroduction scene? The guys who burns his own people sacred artifacts and compares his own rule to that of the British Empire?
    No, I think the movie was always clear that he was always just an hypocrite with a want for revenge.
    I see too much of it but I'm extremely online at all times so that's probably why. But before that, Black Panther is responsible for most of the same sins Tony is responsible for. I don't really get why people consider it different.
    It might have to do with the fact that every main Iron Man and Spider-Man MCU vilain has been a former Stark employee with a grudge against him. And that's not counting Ultron. I mean Killmonger was pissed at T'challa's father, not him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    My opinion on Tony Stark is "He's just the comic-book version of Alfred Nobel, plus robot armor."

Although... that hardly counts as an opinion in the first place.
    Alfred Nobel had a drinking problem?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The guy who goes "Europeans robbing my people of their cultural heritage is wrong" and then stealing a mask he clearly stated did not belong to his culture because it looks cool in the same minute as his ntroduction scene? The guys who burns his own people sacred artifacts and compares his own rule to that of the British Empire?
    No, I think the movie was always clear that he was always just an hypocrite with a want for revenge.
    Hypocrites can still make some good points, even if they don't act on them. Plus, I only half-paid attention to the movie. I don't even remember that scene.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #274

It might have to do with the fact that every main Iron Man and Spider-Man MCU vilain has been a former Stark employee with a grudge against him. And that's not counting Ultron. I mean Killmonger was pissed at T'challa's father, not him personally.
    Everything past the "Europeans robbed my people of their cultural heritage is wrong" point is under the "his methods are bad but he's right you know". It's a classic example of "Terrible news; the worst person you know made a good point" scenario.

Also pointedly, because of his distancing from Wakanda, while the mask is not literally his culture, it is from the culture of those he grew up and associated with. For all intents and purposes it is his, and any sort of posturing as "naw it just looks cool" is either him lying to himself to fit in to the society he sees himself as, or an example of something I basically can't talk about in a thread because Black Panther's entire thematic thrust is banned from talk on the forum so shrug.

I don't see why that is bad. Everyone is like "Stark gets no consequences" and literally everyone he fought was caused by him or his father being ****ty bad people. He constantly had to fight against his own past errors and he literally died for it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-20 at 03:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

I am annoyingly smug about not keeping up with the MCU (like, I'll still see the films, but literally only if I'm interested, I don't want to have to keep up). Who's Killmonger? Is he like the assassin version of a fishmonger?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Hypocrites can still make some good points, even if they don't act on them. Plus, I only half-paid attention to the movie. I don't even remember that scene.
    I mean his only good points are "slavery happened and racism exist" which, yeah, and "Your father was a grad-A *******". Beyond that he seems to believe that Wakanda had a duty to stop the colonization of Africa which doesn't really makes sense as, and one of Wakandan council members points that out, the slaves were simply not Wakandan.
    Everything past the "Europeans robbed my people of their cultural heritage is wrong" point is under the "his methods are bad but he's right you know".
    You can't just decide what is a method and what isn't, doing the exact same thing he blames other for is not a method.
    It's a classic example of "Terrible news; the worst person you know made a good point" scenario.
    When the point consists mostly of blaming the people for the actions of other persons I have a hard time calling them good more like "truth-adjacent".

Also pointedly, because of his distancing from Wakanda, while the mask is not literally his culture, it is from the culture of those he grew up and associated with. For all intents and purposes it is his
    Hmm, I had not considered that.

and any sort of posturing as "naw it just looks cool" is either him lying to himself to fit in to the society he sees himself as
    Wouldn't that mean rejecting that other culture, then? Which would round back to his theft being hypocritical in nature?
    or an example of something I basically can't talk about in a thread because Black Panther's entire thematic thrust is banned from talk on the forum so shrug.
    I don't think we've gotten political yet, but you are right, we should drop this subject.

I don't see why that is bad. Everyone is like "Stark gets no consequences" and literally everyone he fought was caused by him or his father being ****ty bad people. He constantly had to fight against his own past errors and he literally died for it.
    I'm not saying it is bad story-telling, but when several characters complain and have a grudge against one guy, it is bound to colour the audience's perception of that guy.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I am annoyingly smug about not keeping up with the MCU (like, I'll still see the films, but literally only if I'm interested, I don't want to have to keep up). Who's Killmonger? Is he like the assassin version of a fishmonger?
    Basically Wakanda is an african kingdom with future tech that hid itself from the rest of the world for no reason for centuries. And then the king's brother goes to america and has a son. And then the king kills him and abandons the child because he's a terrible brother and uncle. The kid becomes like a black-ops navy seal mercenary or something and goes to Wakanda to challenge his cousin the new king to a duel to the death for the crown because the Wakandan system of government is dumb like that. So the kid become king and the new Black Panther and decides to destroy all the Black Panther juice making flowers and take over the world for revenge but his cousin who wasn't really dead comes back, leads a little civil war and kills him. And then he decides to drop the whole "we're hiding from the world thing" because he realized his father was an ass and called him out in the afterlife. but they're still hiding in the next movie we see them in for some reason.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-20 at 04:31 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #277

Killmonger is a nickname that Eric something or other (forget his last name) gained while working as an operative in the military, named such due to his training to infiltrate societies and kill them from the inside, and his getting a form of African tribal marking to mark each kill he's personally gotten.

In the comics his last name is just literally Killmonger.

I don't think we've gotten political yet, but you are right, we should drop this subject.

I'm not saying it is bad story-telling, but when several characters complain and have a grudge against one guy, it is bound to colour the audience's perception of that guy.
    Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this in private I think we can legitimately have a good discussion about it and none of my friends have seen Black Panther so I'm antsy to talk about it still, especially with regards to my own confusion as to why people hate Stark but not T'Challa. I'll likely attend to it when off work.

Yeah I can definitely get that, at least.

Regarding the plot details of Black Panther: It's a looot more nuanced than Fyraltari is making it appear. It's not for dumb reasons, for one. I'll elaborate at a later time.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-20 at 04:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this in private I think we can legitimately have a good discussion about it and none of my friends have seen Black Panther so I'm antsy to talk about it still, especially with regards to my own confusion as to why people hate Stark but not T'Challa. I'll likely attend to it when off work.
    The political ban also applies to PMs I'm afraid.

Yeah I can definitely get that, at least.
    Is there a missing quotes above that or am I missing something?

Regarding the plot details of Black Panther: It's a looot more nuanced than Fyraltari is making it appear. It's not for dumb reasons, for one. I'll elaborate at a later time.
    I'm mostly* being facetious, Black Panther is a really good movie with a solid plot and an interesting vilain. He's just not "right".

*You can say whatever you want, supreme executive power being won in duels is a terrible way to organize your successions.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #279

Is there a missing quotes above that or am I missing something?

I'm mostly* being facetious, Black Panther is a really good movie with a solid plot and an interesting vilain. He's just not "right".

*You can say whatever you want, supreme executive power being won in duels is a terrible way to organize your successions.
    I don't... think that's true? If PMs are being monitered for content then I expect to be killed in multiple ways by now.

It was in relation to "so many STark based villains colour people's perceptions of him".

Whether Killmonger's right or not aside, it's a lot more reasonably put together than you presented it. No shade on that, being comedic is fun.

You're not wrong but keeping that bit of tribalism was fascinating. Still a better form of government than women in lakes handing out swords

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone ever go to eat something while reading, and then realize they devoured the food instantly? I unpeelee a banana just a moment ago, got a text and somehow swallowed the entire banana by the time I unlocked my phone. I'm in public and hoping no one saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #281

I mean his only good points are "slavery happened and racism exist" which, yeah, and "Your father was a grad-A *******". Beyond that he seems to believe that Wakanda had a duty to stop the colonization of Africa which doesn't really makes sense as, and one of Wakandan council members points that out, the slaves were simply not Wakandan.
    I think "what the hell you guys have a utopian society and won't share literally anything with anyone else, despite being militarily greater than the rest of the known world for millennia, and instead just became isolationist hermits blind to the suffering of the entire rest of the world" is a pretty good argument, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I unpeelee a banana just a moment ago
    I find your Peelee/Jasdoif fanfic strange, yet interesting.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-20 at 05:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I find your Peelee/Jasdoif fanfic strange, yet interesting.
    Warning: It is an antebellum slash-fic. It takes place on a plaintaintion.

Edit: The ending needs rewriting too. It is currently bananas.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-08-20 at 05:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I don't... think that's true? If PMs are being monitered for content then I expect to be killed in multiple ways by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Rulez
    These Rules apply everywhere on this Forum, including every subforum, spoiler box, signature, avatar, and Private Message.
    I'd be surprised if the mods did monitor the PMs but the rules exist for a reason and I am known to have a little bit of a temper when it comes to politics. I guess we could try though.

It was in relation to "so many STark based villains colour people's perceptions of him".
    Ah okay. I, myself, am mostly indifferent toward Tony Stark (I haven't seen most of his movies).

Whether Killmonger's right or not aside, it's a lot more reasonably put together than you presented it. No shade on that, being comedic is fun.
    Yeah, the guy is surprisingly complex for a dude who calls himself "Killmonger".

You're not wrong but keeping that bit of tribalism was fascinating. Still a better form of government than women in lakes handing out swords
    Well, if the woman organizes a vote before-hand.
    I think "what the hell you guys have a utopian society and won't share literally anything with anyone else, despite being militarily greater than the rest of the known world for millennia, and instead just became isolationist hermits blind to the suffering of the entire rest of the world" is a pretty good argument, myself.
    How utopian is Wakanda really? Besides the autocratical form of government that, and this is worth repeating, can be legally overthrown by killing the previous dude (on the condition you belong to the right family which I don't even know if that makes it better or worse, but I'm leaning toward worse), one tribe is ostracized from te others so there are certainly cracks showing in the present. Therefore I highly doubt that 19th century Wakanda was all rainbows and sunshine.

Also what exactly could they have done? Wage war on the whole of Europe by their lonesome on behalf of foreigners? Without going into a "just war" debate that would have been a severe strain on Wakanda even with superior technology as many examples of asymettrical warfare show especially since it is a small country* that apprently didn't get the memo that firearms make spears obsolete. Give weapons and technology to the neighbouring kingdoms and pray their ineplicably egyptian goddes these kingdoms don't decide to conquer them too after the Europeans are dealt with?

Ain't Realpolitik fun?

*They muster how many combatants for their civil war? a couple thousand?
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #284

Also what exactly could they have done?
    Share medicine and technology? Be the Jonas Salks of Marvel Earth on a much grander scale?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Share medicine and technology? Be the Jonas Salks of Marvel Earth on a much grander scale?
    That's really not what Killmonger was talking about though. He was very much focused on the whole colonialism thing.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think one of the key movie arguments is that Killmonger is just going to do exactly the same thing he hates (engaging in imperialism.) Distributing tech can be incredibly disruptive and even dangerous to local cultures, it has to be done very carefully to keep from wrecking the societies it is supposed to help.

17. - Top - End - #287

That's really not what Killmonger was talking about though. He was very much focused on the whole colonialism thing.
    Things like this happen when I don't really pay attention to the movie.

18. - Top - End - #288

Things like this happen when I don't really pay attention to the movie.
    Killmonger felt they should have assisted the world in more ways than just stopping colonialism, it's just that that one in particular is kind of a Big Deal. Killmonger using the tools of the oppressors against them is pointed out in the literal text of the film as being His Big Flaw, because he's so consumed with hate that's the only answer he has. T'Challa does what that Sparks person you mentioned would do, in modern age, after revealing Wakanda is a thing that exists. And then literally two days later Infinity War happens.

Anyway, Fyr, you realize Egypt is IN Africa, right? Wakanda is multi-cultural and made up of people from all around Africa, united after T'Challa's ancestor won out over the other nearby tribes. It's why we get the Hanuman worshipping people alongside T'Challa's people and Bast. It's actually cool and realistic to how Africa is as a nation.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-20 at 05:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, Fyr, you realize Egypt is IN Africa, right? Wakanda is multi-cultural and made up of people from all around Africa, united after T'Challa's ancestor won out over the other nearby tribes. It's why we get the Hanuman worshipping people alongside T'Challa's people and Bast.
    Yeah, and that makes no sense. T'Challa's ancestors united five tribes that formed Wakanda, they didn't conquer Africa. Wakanda should have its own completely separate culture from all other African cultures. A good example is how T'Challa's honor guard (I can't remeber their name) use iklwa spears who wear invented by Shaka Zulu in the 19th century at a time where Wakanda wasn't supposed to have any contact with the exterior. (and no need to adopt a new pole weapon). I get the doylist reasons behind those choices but the watsonian ones are non-existant.
    It's actually cool and realistic to how Africa is as a nation.
    Zod, you realize Africa is not a nation, right? Not any more than Asia, Europe, or America*.

*The continent not the United States.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-20 at 06:11 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

All board rules apply to PMs as well. Mods will not go into your PM box without reason, but they will if given reason to.

This is usually because somebody in the conversation forwarded a mod a PM that broke the rules.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, and that makes no sense. T'Challa's ancestors united five tribes that formed Wakanda, they didn't conquer Africa. Wakanda should have its own completely separate culture from all other African cultures. A good example is how T'Challa's honor guard (I can't remeber their name) use iklwa spears who wear invented by Shaka Zulu in the 19th century at a time where Wakanda wasn't supposed to have any contact with the exterior. (and no need to adopt a new pole weapon). I get the doylist reasons behind those choices but the watsonian ones are non-existant.

Zod, you realize Africa is not a nation, right? Not any more than Asia, Europe, or America*.

*The continent not the United States.
    To be fair they're not completely isolated – they hide their tech, but they had a seat in the UN. They were just generally known to be a basically-insignificant small mostly-agricultural nation, generally isolationist.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    All board rules apply to PMs as well. Mods will not go into your PM box without reason, but they will if given reason to.

This is usually because somebody in the conversation forwarded a mod a PM that broke the rules.
    What happened?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What happened?
    Both the breaking of rules, and mod actions in response are inappropriate topics of discussion, particularly for a thread where a forum administrator is a recurring member.

On a much more board appropriate topic, I miss Technocrat.

24. - Top - End - #294

I don't... think that's true?
    Whoops! Missed this earlier. Yes, all the rules apply to PMs as well. In fact...
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Rules
    These Rules apply everywhere on this Forum, including every subforum, spoiler box, signature, avatar, and Private Message.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Both the breaking of rules and mod actions in response are inappropriate topics of discussion, particularly for a thread where a forum administrator is a recurring member.

On a much more board appropriate topic, I miss Technocrat.
    Wow. I mean just wow. That's a major scandal in this forum.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Who's Killmonger? Is he like the assassin version of a fishmonger?
    Now I really want to make a market trader hitman NPC next time my players visit a wretched hive. Muuuuuuurdeeeers. Come git ya muuuuuuuurdeeeeers. Two bob a stabbing, three bob a garotte! You there, sir, you look like you could use some murders. Buy three shootings and I'll throw in an electrocution. Whaddaya say? Best killing this side of Putney.

Anyway, regards Black Panther, it's always amused me that he and Dr Doom have very similar setups (autocratic ruler of a technological paradise (Wakanda/Latveria) in an otherwise impoverished part of the world (Africa/Balkans) who never does anything with his vast resources to aid his neighbours, instead building a supersuit and occasionally helping save the world), but one is a superhero and the other is a supervillain.

27. - Top - End - #297

BlackDragon

Yeah, everyone knows supreme power comes from watery tarts throwing swords at people.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

There's a "Report PM" button just like there's a "Report Post" button. This will send a copy of the PM, exactly as you received it, to the mods for review. As noted by others, all forum rules apply in PMs as well.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Well I just discovered the Zelda Oracle games are on the Nintendo eShop, I've picked up Ages and will get Seasons for a linked game when I've finished because I remember I got the orange one as a kid thinking it was like Pokémon for some reason, because hey it was my first exposure to the series (I was pretty much the only Zelda fan around when growing up, first playing Seasons and then the original and LttP when they came out on GBA, and Twilight Princess on the Wii before I lost access to all Nintendo consoles until a few years ago).

This makes me incredibly happy, I loved OoS back in the day and didn't think to check because I remember the games not being that well recieved when I looked them up online. So while they aren't as good as LttP (or ALBW, which I'd adore if it wasn't for the 'renting items' mechanic) it's going to be nice going back to something I have incredibly fond memories of.

In other news, it's going to take about six months before my hair's at a decent length, anybody got tips to making it look good in the in-between period?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know if I mentioned it here, but my grandfather died a few weeks ago. We weren't particularly close, but...

F
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.