New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group (thread II)

Well, in that case, it's not as bad as it could be.

Oh yeah, also, reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session. Hope to see you all there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Well, in that case, it's not as bad as it could be.

Oh yeah, also, reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session. Hope to see you all there.
    Yeah. The majority of maps should at least have some previous version that works. It's just how much is changed between versions that then becomes an issue.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dusk has released updated versions of OD, DoE, and AotZ that should work with the current patch.
    In the desert
    I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
    Who, squatting upon the ground,
    Held his heart in his hands,
    And ate of it.
    I said, "Is it good, friend?"
    "It is bitter - bitter", he answered,
    "But I like it
    Because it is bitter,
    And because it is my heart."

Stephen Crane, 'In the Desert'

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Keep in mind though, Bane, that we all suffered from this weird bug where some maps would not show up at all (at least while being in sub-folders, apparently), while still being quite playable. Some maps might be simply affected by that, rather than the patch.

Though it sure does not sound well, especially if Faith's map loading times being reduced to one sixth of their former self is any indication.

I just hope they fix RvS and CF quickly, if they have been affected...
    I wasn't using whether the map itself showed up in the list or not as a gauge; for me, at least, when I clicked on a non-functional map in the list the teams/players list would not appear or would not update whereas when I clicked on a map that worked it did.

The latest RvS that works for me is 1.0.33 which is the second to most recent one that we've been playing, so it's not THAT bad, though it's missing some things like innate abilities on Support heroes. None of the versions of Castle Fight that I have, at least, seem to work.

For those curious; ICD is affected by this but I have pinpointed precisely what is causing the problem so it should be playable again in 1.20.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    Dusk has released updated versions of OD, DoE, and AotZ that should work with the current patch.
    Mmm, okay, at least we got those, then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    The latest RvS that works for me is 1.0.33 which is the second to most recent one that we've been playing, so it's not THAT bad, though it's missing some things like innate abilities on Support heroes. None of the versions of Castle Fight that I have, at least, seem to work.
    Yay for RvS... too bad about CF, but at lease Gex is active, so it should be fixed soon, if it isn't already.

For those curious; ICD is affected by this but I have pinpointed precisely what is causing the problem so it should be playable again in 1.20.
    Ouch, poor ICD...

Just to see how wide-spread the problem is, I checked all the TDs we tend to play.

Corrupted TD, WH40k TD and Islands TD are still working.
    Flux TD, Power TD and Eeve TD are down. So is Element TD except for one really old version I still had (3.0).

And most hilariously... Skibi's Castle TD does not work either.
    That's right. Blizzard shot down its own map with this patch.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-08-06 at 01:23 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #186

According to Dusk(The previously mentioned one), Gridlock TD doesn't work anymore either. Though I'm not sure if that's been tested or not.

7. - Top - End - #187

Ouch, poor ICD...
    It's just one trigger for one spell on a hero that nobody ever picked (Cleric); it's not that bothersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind
    Just to see how wide-spread the problem is, I checked all the TDs we tend to play.

Corrupted TD, WH40k TD and Islands TD are still working.
    Flux TD, Power TD and Eeve TD are down. So is Element TD except for one really old version I still had (3.0).

And most hilariously... Skibi's Castle TD does not work either.
    That's right. Blizzard shot down its own map with this patch.
    While sad that it doesn't work... that's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by natni8 View Post
    According to Dusk(The previously mentioned one), Gridlock TD doesn't work anymore either. Though I'm not sure if that's been tested or not.
    It doesn't appear to work, sadly.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

It's just one trigger for one spell on a hero that nobody ever picked (Cleric); it's not that bothersome.
    Lego did.

While sad that it doesn't work... that's hilarious.
    It sure is.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #189

Lego did.
    I didn't mean that literally; rather that I think the Cleric is the hero that gets the least amount of picks with the possible exception of the Shaman. Meaning that not very many people will mourn the replacement of a skill.

10. - Top - End - #190

What was wrong with the Cleric's trigger though? Did it involve a return statement?

11. - Top - End - #191

I have no idea, I commissioned the script from somebody else. But since it was what broke the map I would imagine that yes, it does.

12. - Top - End - #192

Alright-y then.

I found out about something that was bothering me about JASS today: Pointer variables are actually called "Locations" when writing custom scripts. THAT'S why none of my local pointers would work.
    (I was using global pointers instead).

Typing out "local location" feels funny.

I'll be there on Friday. SCA will likely have enough stuff in it to play a silly round of Untrained difficulty, before people get bored of the ridiculous ease of picking up those three spells. Well, anyone who's curious will see it. I may just have something new every Friday from now to a while, but I don't think it will be exciting until I put in the fun spells in Nature at least, and then I think I will genuinely start to have fun (like with a game of the old Spellcast) in Illusion.

According to some things I read, there are quite a few leaky variables that I need to fix, and general commenting and things on the JASS (global variables for points need to be nulled too ). But other than that, I think it looks very nice so far. Hope to see you all there!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds promising. Looking forward to it.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Joy. Something is wrong with my wc3 for patching. Fortunately I think I just need to fix the registry for it. Unfortunately I only have the foggiest of notions of how to go about doing that.

Also, yay for the turning 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetking View Post
    ...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swok View Post
    Also, yay for the turning 21.
    Woot! Happy birthday, Swok!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #196

I bet there's a guide for doing that somewhere Swok. Windows programming-type things all sound nasty to me though.

Also, happy Birthday. Swok is now the same age as me. But I still feel like I'm 15 or so.

Finally I found out what that bug was in SCA's multiboard. I was messing with too many variables in my search for leaks. A stray set and null for my avatar unit array caused me those problems. Oh, and I found out that one of the requirements that's meant for players to see was messed up. Maybe it would've given an indication that both hand gestures are to be made at once.

But overall, things are really starting to come together.
    Last edited by nooblade; 2009-08-07 at 09:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

will be very late, to the point of your-all-gone on sunday.
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

18. - Top - End - #198

Aaaannndddddddd I didn't make it Friday, family went out to dinner. And I'll be missing next Friday due to work.

Maybe I'll just start playing Warcraft during the week as opposed to waiting for the mass gatherings that I won't make it to. Someone is always on.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    Also, happy Birthday. Swok is now the same age as me. But I still feel like I'm 15 or so.
    I'm starting to think feeling like 15 is normal. I'm another five years older, and I'm feeling just the same.

Finally I found out what that bug was in SCA's multiboard. I was messing with too many variables in my search for leaks. A stray set and null for my avatar unit array caused me those problems. Oh, and I found out that one of the requirements that's meant for players to see was messed up. Maybe it would've given an indication that both hand gestures are to be made at once.
    That part never was unclear though.

Alright!

Quote Originally Posted by 742 View Post
    will be very late, to the point of your-all-gone on sunday.
    Awww...

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Aaaannndddddddd I didn't make it Friday, family went out to dinner. And I'll be missing next Friday due to work.

Maybe I'll just start playing Warcraft during the week as opposed to waiting for the mass gatherings that I won't make it to. Someone is always on.
    Quite true. That pretty much always works.

Just watch out for Einherjar. He tends to... lack the courteous manners of Playgrounders.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and reminder, tomorrow is the next melee session.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-08-08 at 11:33 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #200

Alright. In its current state there really isn't enough to critique or give (constructive) criticism on, so I look forward to when it is more complete.

---

Happy birthday Swok! Don't get TOO drunk and/or hungover while playing with us, it might make balancing games too difficult.

---

It appears that a friend is coming over to visit tomorrow so I will be absent for most of if not the entire session, my apologies.

21. - Top - End - #201

Well I have one huge disadvantage in developing SCA and that is that it's been on the back of my mind for a couple of years now. Material that is meant to be helpful will likely be confusing to new people. Most of my notes refer to something from older versions of Spellcast or some other game or concept that I'm sure someone will find obscure, like the notation for gestures. P-W-P-F-S-S-S-D, for example, is the original gesture sequence for casting Finger of Death.

One thing you guys didn't really notice (I guess) that I had hoped would lead to more productive discussion was that it is possible to leave one hand continually making the Rune of Power spell and the other hand making Punches. This could be exploited in Untrained difficulty to let the player do up to 12 damage per round. It's also possible to do 24 damage in a burst, but it's more of a one-shot thing.

I had figured that doing so had a huge disadvantage in making your movements predictable (it is certainly possible to make yourself a good "dive-bomber" by constantly clicking on an enemy and being ready to cast punch), but talking about the gestures in the spellbooks led me to not leading anyone far enough in that direction.

Another thing on my mind was whether Untrained difficulty should be kept at all. All the lower categories are going to be a somewhat dull game without the flashy incapacitating spells or the slow-moving instant kills, but Untrained might just give the player a bad first impression without showing any skills that could be useful in higher difficulties. The minion avatars have faster movement speed and halved health as a sort of merciful shortening, but it could be just frustrating. Maybe asking later once those difficulties are in would be better anyway.

22. - Top - End - #202

I have finished the new version of ICD just now - and just for fun I decided to write up the changelog in a fancy, professional way, if only because I've always wanted to do that.

And just so you know that it isn't a bug, there will always be a (very short) lag spike at the very beginning, before anybody even picks their hero, this is to prevent a spell from lagging the game in the heat of battle the very first time it is cast.

Spoiler
    Show

-ICD is now compatible with the 1.24 WarCraft III patch.

-The Cleric's Healing Ray spell has been reworked slightly.
    -The Barbarian's Envigorating Cry spell now scales with Strength.
    -The Necromancer's Corpse Explosion spell now scales with Intelligence.
    -Minor changes such as cooldown tweaking made to several other spells.

-Gatekeepers are more powerful, spawn more often and now come in 4 varieties, one of which is randomly selected each time they spawn:
    --Stone Gatekeepers are very durable and have War Stomp.
    --Fiery Gatekeepers are heavy damage dealers and have Permanent Immolation and conjure runes around themselves that explode after a few seconds.
    --Shadowy Gatekeepers are heavy debuffers and reduce the armor of those they attack and can temporarily disable the inventories of nearby heroes.
    --Chaos Gatekeepers are very volatile and deal area-of-effect damage to nearby units that attack them (except the attacker itself) and can temporarily enter a brief rage that gives them god-like strength for all of 8 seconds.
    -The Demonic Entity now has Cleaving Attack instead of Pulverize and the damage and area-of-effect it deals has been scaled down.

-All heroes now have hero glows.
    -Tooltips have been streamlined with different colors for attribute-based variables such as damage and healing.

-Raised the cost of the Annihilator Tank mercenary.
    -Architects can now repair structures for free and far more quickly.

-Fixed a bug that granted infinite mana potions in a stack
    -Fixed a bug involving the Rogue Bracers of the Fox setting your mana to 14 instead of adding 14.
    -The Mage no longer has a slight delay between casting a spell and when the spell takes affect. This also fixes how the Electrical Nova spell would sometimes not deal damage to moving units.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2009-08-10 at 06:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, awesome. Looking forward to testing it.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

24. - Top - End - #204

Ack. pubbies don't join CfG games anymore.
    Last edited by nooblade; 2009-08-11 at 07:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Have you bashed them so badly they are scared now, Nooblade?

Also, reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session. Hope to see you there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #206

I'll have to leave a few hours early on Friday because I'm going to go see District 9. I'm not precisely sure when it is or if we're eating dinner beforehand so I can't say exactly when I'll be going but I can guarantee I will show up for at least a little while.

27. - Top - End - #207

Have you bashed them so badly they are scared now, Nooblade? :smalltongue
    Well, let's go for a more serious hypothesis, eh?

Looking at /users, it seems like a lot of people have left war3 due to the 1.24 patch. I guess the people who left weren't the DotA players but rather the people who got on to play whatever random map they find (CfG is such a map I think).

But I can't tell the difference between the consistencies of games available now compared to before. Also, anyone care to make a list of things we played before that haven't been fixed?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Well, let's go for a more serious hypothesis, eh?

Looking at /users, it seems like a lot of people have left war3 due to the 1.24 patch. I guess the people who left weren't the DotA players but rather the people who got on to play whatever random map they find (CfG is such a map I think).
    That would seem rather strange though, as people not bound to a single map should be afflicted the least by this patch...

Also, reminder: Tomorrow is the melee session. I hope to see you there.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-08-15 at 12:15 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #209

Well there was a brief period where virtually nothing was being hosted, that was the time I got an epic amount of CfG every time I logged in. Or I don't know, maybe they were more tied to a particular map than I thought. Is there a particular map I'm missing that was hosted frequently before but hasn't come available or has been fixed only recently?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't got the slightest clue. DotA has long been fixed by now, I guess?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll