New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233344974 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Banned

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q363
    What are the best references I can use when estimating the Hardness and Hit Points of a small mountain that a character has opted to destroy?

Q364
    Pretty sure this is a "no", but just to confirm: does a Reflex saving throw count as a Dexterity check? (Etc. for the other saving throws.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-02 at 08:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A363 Look at the hardness and hit points of stone structures:
    Stone:
    hardness: 8, hit points: 15/inch of thickness
    Remember to factor in how far he can/cannot reach to hit the mountain. Also even a small mountian could have something interesting living in or on it that may object to having its home trashed.

A364 No. Saving throws are not ability checks. The only oddity is initiative which does seem to be a dexterity check for most purposes.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2012-07-02 at 08:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    The only oddity is initiative which does seem to be a dexterity check for most purposes.
    Can you prove that? While initiative checks use the DEX Modifier+Bonuses, it is an initiative check not an ability check.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A363 Look at the hardness and hit points of stone structures:Stone:
    hardness: 8, hit points: 15/inch of thickness
    Hm...would that be per cubic inch of a non-flat block of stone?

Remember to factor in how far he can/cannot reach to hit the mountain.
    Ranged attacks of unlimited number, so that's not too much of a problem - even if he misses a lot due to distance, he'll usually be hitting some part of the mountain, and if not he can just keep trying. (We are talking about a character who mets the prerequisite for the Epic Stubbornness feat at level 1.)

A364 No. Saving throws are not ability checks. The only oddity is initiative which does seem to be a dexterity check for most purposes.
    Q365b
    Would those purposes include a) Factotum's Brains over Brawn, and b) an Illumian with the Uur sigil? I believe both bonuses are nameless, so they should stack; the result could very easily be a character with a double-digit Inish mod if he drops a feat on Improved Inish and has tolerable Dex and INT (this is even before throwing on a template such as Half-Fiend for even more of both).

@ Andezzar: It says right on PHB page 136, "An initiative check is a dexterity check". Unless there's something in Rules Compendium or whatnot that I don't know about, that's pretty decisive; the possibility there is such a something would be why I'm asking.

Q366
    A Warlock's Eldritch Blast deals half damage to objects. Are there any creatures which qualify as objects for this purpose? Animated Objects? Constructs in general? Intelligent items definitely qualify as objects, but I don't think they're creatures, although the DMG says they can be "treated almost like creatures". So what's the difference between an intelligent magic sword with the Dancing quality and an Animated Object in the form of a dancing sword?

5. - Top - End - #695
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A365b
    Give that initiative checks are dexterity checks (thank-you for pointing out it is not simply "most" purposes - http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/ini...itiativeChecks) then unless the ability explicitly says it does not appy to initiative checks then it applies.
    Double digit initiative is easy if there is a Marshal in the party - Motivate Dex also boosts initiative, and if the Marshal is also a Mythic Exemplar they can temporarily boost their charisma bonus substancially. Add in a War Weaver with Nerveskitter and the dex 8 characters have double digit initiative.

Off topic - why I stopped playing my Marshal/Mythic Exemplar/Bard was that I found the minor auras (notably motivate dex) were the broken ones - major auras balance nicely. Add in diplomacy abuse (with motivate charisma) and you don't even need to optimise for the diplomacy to be game breaking. (Marshals really don't need skill focus: diplomacy as a bonus feat.)

6. - Top - End - #696
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q321 Is there a psionic power that is manifested on an area not centred on the caster, which lingers for several rounds dealing damage on each round? I am looking for a sort of psionic version of Acid Fog without the fog.
    Repost in the hope that someone gives an answer.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 367: I have a beast master who has a Riding Dog (bought), Fleshraker (Beastmaster), and a Wolf (Wild Cohort). I also have a Ranger who has a Swindlespitter.

Now of these, do all of them have to make handle animal checks, (DC 10) and if so, are they free actions? Is there a time when handling an animal is a free action by default?

My group I am DMing, may be getting way to many actions on their turn and I fear it might be because I am using the handle animal rules wrong. Clarity on this would help greatly, because at the moment, I've been letting them control all those animals as free actions with a handle animal roll.
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-07-02 at 11:40 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 366

The principal difference between an intelligent magic sword with the Dancing quality and an Animated Object in the form of a sword is that the latter has a creature type: Construct. Another is that a Dancing sword attacks as a weapon, but an Animated Object sword only has a slam attack; the fact that this Construct was created from a sword is largely irrelevant, as the blade is useless for slicing or piercing when it's animated. A creature (Animated Object) cannot have the Dancing property; only weapons can have that. Anything with a creature type is not an object and thus not subject to half damage for the Warlock's Eldritch Blast effect.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-02 at 11:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Orc in the Playground

Q 368

Can a minotaur be enlarged by Enlarge Person? The spell effects state "humanoid creatures" are enlarged, does that count as Humanoid and monstrous humanoids, or just humanoids? Some of my gamers say it does not work on a minotaur, for example, because a minotaur is not a humanoid.

I get very confused, because the monstrous humanoid type speaks about qualities that they possess, most of which a Drow elf also possesses, for example. It speaks of humanoid shape with animalistic features, but a gnoll is about as animalistic a humanoid shape as I can think of, and it isn't a monstrous humanoid. Neither is a werebear, wereboar, werewolf, or wererat, even in their animal shape. A Duergar is a humanoid, but a Derro is a monstrous humanoid.

So, why would enlarge person work on a werebull, but not a minotaur?
    Last edited by graeylin; 2012-07-02 at 12:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ettin in the Playground

A 368

While you can argue that this does not make much sense, the rules are pretty clear. The spell affects a humanoid creature, which is a creature of the Type Humanoid. Any creature of a different type is not affected by the spell.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-07-02 at 04:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 368 No.

Humanoid and Monstrous Humanoid are distinct character types. Enlarge Person requires the Humanoid type.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Orc in the Playground

A 368
    Got it.. thanks!

Weird as it seems, it works on bugbears and gnolls, but not minotaurs.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

Tieflings and Aasimar can't be affected either. There is an upside to it though, Charm/Dominate/Hold Person also only works on Humanoids.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Tieflings and Aasimar can't be affected either. There is an upside to it though, Charm/Dominate/Hold Person also only works on Humanoids.
    All of which applies to the MM / ROD / PH standard versions, but not to the optional "Lesser Aasimar/Tiefling" described in Races of Faerun, which is identical in every way except for being Humanoid instead of Outsider [Native].

15. - Top - End - #705
    Troll in the Playground

Q 369

A question concerning the Wu Jen spell Arboreal Transformation (CM)...

If the target succeeds on their saving throw, it states that they're slowed, as the spell. It says that the target is affected until the duration wears off. My question is, which duration? The duration of the slow spell that it mimics, or the duration of the arboreal transformation spell itself?

I believe that the former is the correct interpretation, but I would like confirmation.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 369

No, a reference to "the duration" inside a spell is that of the spell itself (in this case Arboreal Transformation) unless explicitly overridden.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Banned

Q370
    The power Chameleon is "Egoist 2, Psychic Warrior 1" (and Nature Mantle 1); other powers I've seen that are available to different classes at different levels (such as Elfsight) generally list a separate power point cost for each, keeping the consistent rule that a level X power always costs 2X-1 power points before augmentation...as written the Egoist version of Chameleon would be an exception to that rule. Is there any other precedent for powers that deviate from the formula? I plan to regard the power as misprinted and make a house rule, but must decide whether the error is that Egoists should pay 3 pp for the power or that they can get it at level 1. (I tend to prefer the latter, both because two other classes get it at that level and because the Egoist as-written has only one rather weak and bland L1 power, so a unique and fairly decent option for an Egoist 1 would be nice.)

18. - Top - End - #708

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Hm...would that be per cubic inch of a non-flat block of stone?
    A363 Volume is not thickness, which is how an object's HP is measure. This means that an object has less HP in areas where it's not as thick.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 371

Are all the canon worlds (Toril, Greyhawk, Krynn etc.) connected through Sigil? If not is there another connection?

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A371
    This really depends on the author of any particular book or the DM. According to the rules Oerth/Greyhawk has the standard D&D planar cosmology - Toril/Forgotten Realms does not. The inhabitants of their planes vary even more - compare Bahamut versions for Krynn. That would imply they have different versions of Sigil.

In 2nd Ed they were connected through Spelljammer travel.

In Ed Greenwood's Dragon Magazine articles Elminster, Mordenkainen and Dalamar could all travel to earth (Ed Greenwood's study) to hold regular meetings to discuss whatever took their fancy.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2012-07-03 at 12:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 372: So I am confused. I want to advance a Plague Blight from Libris Mortis. I thought undead could not gain feats, but yet this seems to show that they have feats as normal. Is this true? Will this undead gain feats at every 3hd?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

22. - Top - End - #712
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q 373

One of the players, in the campaign we are playing, is a Favorite Soul(Complete divine) with the Lycanthrope template(MM).
    My question is: Does he retain the wings, that the favorite soul grant him, in his lycanthrope form?
    He is saying that the wings will remain in his wolf form, and he is trying to use the "Infernal Transformation" spell(Spell compendium), to give him a scorpion tail while in the lycanthrope form with bat wings...
    I don't think it is possible... Is it?

(sorry for the bad english)
    Last edited by matten17; 2012-07-03 at 03:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 373 No.

The Lycanthrope template specifies what characteristics the creature has in animal form.
    In animal form, a lycanthrope resembles a powerful version of the normal animal, but on close inspection, its eyes (which often glow red in the dark) show a faint spark of unnatural intelligence.
    You get just what the animal form has, plus glowing eyes. Lycanthropy is a version of the Alternate Form special ability.
    The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
    Winged flight is a movement mode.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Q 372: So I am confused. I want to advance a Plague Blight from Libris Mortis. I thought undead could not gain feats, but yet this seems to show that they have feats as normal. Is this true? Will this undead gain feats at every 3hd?
    A 372

You are mistaken. The prohibition against gaining feats (and skills) applies to creatures without an Intelligence score, such as your typical low-level mindless undead, mindless constructs, and vermin.

The Plague Blight, with its Int of 14, gains feats at every 3 HD as normal.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 374

Is the fly speed granted by Improved Dragon Wings reduced by wearing medium or heavy armor?

Q 375

You can't Jump while flying/swimming/burrowing, right?

Q 376

What options are there to count as having a running start without moving?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-07-03 at 06:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 374 No.

Armor doesn't bind wings in the way that it binds legs and reduces land speed. However, if you exceed a light load (because of armor or other gear) you cannot fly at all.

A 375 Usually not.

Jumping requires that you push off from a surface. If you have one of those available, and only air to move through (as opposed to water or earth which would stop your movement quickly), you might Jump from a surface you reach while flying. While Jumping you're not flying, of course.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 377
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner.
    Is that to the attack roll, damage roll, or both? (Guessing attack roll only since it specifically says "attack" but I like to be sure.)
    Last edited by Pheehelm; 2012-07-03 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Numbered Question
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

A 376

There are various class features (such as CAdv Ninja's Great Leap ability) that allow this, among others.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 377

The bonus is to attack rolls only.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Q 378

A bit of a weird one - what are some templates that would add physical horns to the head of a Giant (specifically, an Ogre)?