New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #862 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    Here's an experiment: Time how long it takes you to say those two sentences, about the bec de corbin and so on.
    It's been established that speech in OOTS is a free action, ergo it takes no time at all, unless it's funny because it does - like when V bores the Goblins to sleep before they can move.

Then try to silently communicate the word "Teleport" or "Get us out of here" in the same amount of time or less.
    I... actually have no idea how I would go about doing that, without the benefit of some pre-arranged signals. Something like, oh I don't know, a sign language. Perhaps one designed expressly for spells and combat situations. I'll bet you can't think of one either in the same time you specified.

BTW, note that while Tarquin was verbose in his expository speech for his/our benefit, he had only to communicate three words at most to Z, and we are even helpfully told what they were. "Teleport," "Bring" and "Accountant" the last of which could have been done by simply pointing to Kilkil.

That much Drow sign language he should easily have picked up if he had ever worked with Drow in the past; the rest of what he says is needed only to:

A) Establish for the reader how he's communicating, and
    B) Provide the funny, which is what a comic strip is all about.

Heck, for all we know the "funny" part may just be another of the dubious stories he indulges in solely to build up his "legendary" status.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Making it completely unbelievable, as there wasn't a single beholder in the strip.
    Well, there was one.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Yeah...I don't think I want to know the story behind that. And damn, this whole escaping thing is starting to get old. Let's hope they end up next to Xykon or something.

And hey, Tarquin doesn't have his axe anymore.
    So did Nale and perhaps their Kobold helper did also, so I figure that axe is a major new weapon for Roy or Durkon since as a dwarf axes should be perfectly useable and does this mean Elan has a new weapon and possibly Belkar too?

Okay I bet the Kobold didn't drop anything but I wonder what those mummies were packing since I figure they weren't searched beforehand!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Belkars line got me almost literally falling over with my chair laughing

5. - Top - End - #125

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Heh, "completely unbalanced -in all the best ways"

This is gold
    For those who aren't familiar with the history of D&D, this is an injoke which I wasn't aware of until I read the wiki page on Unearthed Arcana. That book introduced a number of new races and subraces including drows. The general consensus among critics were that these races were overpowered and thus unbalanced the game.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LuPuWei View Post
    They... defeated the Linear Guild??

Curb-Stomped them? Using a plan that actually worked? Stood their ground instead of running away? Didn't need Lawyers and Loopholes?
    You mean, just like they did in Cliffport? Or later, in Azure City? Heck, the only time the Order have had any trouble at all dealing with the Linear Guild is in Dorukan's Dungeon--they've handily beat them at every encounter since.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't get me wrong, I still like the comic... but the Linear Guild escaping again without any consequence? This is getting really, really, reeeaaallly boring.

Kill them off or don't, but at least I am tired of encounters that end without Nale or Sabine dead and them simply running/flying/teleporting out. I'm beyond caring for the schmucks (but even Kilkil made it out).

I know we are in the "middle of something" but just another "pop" is way too stale. This here now was extra-boring as there never was a real threat to anything as Tarquin had (the pretty awesome trap of the Order notwithstanding) everything in firm hands.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

8. - Top - End - #128

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You mean, just like they did in Cliffport? Or later, in Azure City? Heck, the only time the Order have had any trouble at all dealing with the Linear Guild is in Dorukan's Dungeon--they've handily beat them at every encounter since.
    They planned to lose in Cliffport, and I think that he didn't count Azure city since the entire story would have hit a stalemate if not for that guy what taught Elan of the Dashing Bard. What was his name?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Some things to think about:

-- As we near the fourth gate, V has been separated from the Order. We can strongly suspect from Qarr's behavior that the ArchFiends are about to temporarily repossess her.

-- Malack has been separated from his authority source and is now a wildcard.

-- It seems like plans to control the gate require one divine and one arcane caster - and given the implications they should be nongood (or mind-controlled). Those requirements are now present on location and isolated.

-- We're one successful threat, bargain or mental enslavement away from the IFCC being ready to make a play for control of this gate.

-- I expect the real disruption to this plan is going to be either 10,000 soldiers of the Emperess of Blood, or else Xykon. It would be hilarious and fascinating if Xykon had to blow this gate himself to interrupt the IFCC's plan for it.

-- I don't know what's going to happen to OOTS in this plan, but it's not good.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by with an e View Post
    I don't see why we need to dwell on the believability or lack thereof of Tarquin knowing Drow sign language. It is not a necessary component of LG escaping this time.
    If he adventured back in the days when the Forgotten Realms Underdark was a big thing, it'd be no surprise. Between the followers of elistree and Drizzt and jarlaxle, the Realms were overrun with refugees from the Underdark and I believe they all spoke drow sign language . Even if not every drow speaks it, it's perfectly plausible that a high-level arcane caster, and a general who (it is now revealed) spent a lot of his career fighting with or against drow, should both know it.

So the order wins one. They don't actually get to capitalize on the victory to deal lasting damage, but its' better than running in disgrace.

I find I can't complain. Unlike Nale's wand of energy draining, which seemed a pulled-from-hammerspace contrivance to keep Durkon from instantly winning in their last fight, this is in-universe and plausible from both characters. Naturally zzdtri would have an escape spell, and naturally a fighter who relies on defense as heavily as Tarquin does would be prepared to enact a tactical withdrawal with efficiency.

A little bit disappointing that the victory is fruitless, or at least mostly so. But I guess it's too early in the book for anything really decisive to happen yet.

Oh, yes... until I see the Xs in Thog's eyes, I assume he is alive and ready to cause trouble later in this book or another.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

11. - Top - End - #131
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    His decision to retreat might have been less in terms of self preservation and more in terms of long term planning. He has already shown himself to be willing and able to take on the Order by himself. But he needs Nale and his knowledge of the gates. Belkar was about to kill Nale and the Zz'dtri might have been next to die. Winning the battle but losing the war doesn't fit his profile.
    That time, the Order was ambushed and unprepared, as well as conveniently hit by a couple of acid splash. Tarquin was presumably buffed up, as the Guild prepared that attack well. Should Tarquin have tried to take on Roy, Belkar, Haley and Durkon by himself, he would have probably find that the situation had been...reversed.

12. - Top - End - #132

DwarfClericGuy

Ugh. Fine, sure, it's totally reasonable for Tarquin to know Drow Sign Language, but I really REALLY wish it had even come up as an obscure background joke somewhere before, instead of him saying "Oh by the way I know the exact thing to do to undercut their victory."

Even a Chekhov's Gun is better than a Deus Ex Machina.

13. - Top - End - #133

Nale lives, and Tarquin had to leave his axe behind.

Tactical victory for the Order without things getting too gruesome. Nice :)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Bring my accountant", wow, Dorw sign language is really specific.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I guess DSL is as fully developed as ASL and other real world equivalents. Frankly, I'm more surprised that he can say all that one-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    Ugh. Fine, sure, it's totally reasonable for Tarquin to know Drow Sign Language, but I really REALLY wish it had even come up as an obscure background joke somewhere before, instead of him saying "Oh by the way I know the exact thing to do to undercut their victory."

Even a Chekhov's Gun is better than a Deus Ex Machina.
    Eh, Tarquin does have an established talent for pulling out something obscure and yet astonishingly useful on a moment's notice. Like the ability to pun-duel or having glamered armor just perfect for a disguise. So I can just take it as another example of that.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2012-08-31 at 08:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I wondered about that too. "Kobold" I can understand. Drow should have the sign for them. But accountant? Given as the most plausable purpose of the language seems to be the silent communication before the battle, how many times before in Drow history the word "accountant" came up in pre-combat chat?
    Last edited by fwiffo; 2012-08-31 at 08:32 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137

I'm also feeling a bit fuzzy in regard to Tarquin. Until recently, I felt him to be a magnificent bastard, a pretty able and cool character.
    But if he now pulls lightning from his behind and starts to scorch the gods with fireballs from his eyes, I'd really not be surprised but shrug.

Does this guy really have no weakness? Is there anything he cannot do? I am pretty certain there are flaws as well, but by now it's getting harder and harder for me to perceive him as fully believable character.

Anyway, even if I'm not really feeling any suspense I'm eager to see how things unfold.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

18. - Top - End - #138

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    I wondered about that too. "Kobold" I can understand. Drow should have the sign for them. But accountant? Given as the most plausable purpose of the language seems to be the silent communication before the battle, how many times before in Drow history the word "accountant" came up in pre-combat chat?
    How plausible is it that anyone in OOTSverse can use sign language? After all, they only have THREE digits on each hand.

If you really want to nitpick, you could just say that no sign language could exist that is intricate enough to say "accountant" on one hand with only TWO fingers and a thumb in the amount of time given!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #862 - The Discussion Thread

As a Deaf gal I LOVE this! Everyone think 1 sign class in middle school means they can say anything! Captioned TV is almost as bad -- really funny freudian slips. Keep us the great work! Go Sign!

20. - Top - End - #140

Malack has been separated from his authority source and is now a wildcard.
    We know that Malack gets upset when his precious zombies get hacked up, so can you image his reaction when he finds their dismembered bodies? I like how the Giant is setting up the next conflict- especially if he shows us Malack going full power (like he did against Nale)!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm afraid that I didn't get the joke at the beginning. Why was Belkar suddenly talking about mansion whores?

22. - Top - End - #142

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Forias View Post
    I'm afraid that I didn't get the joke at the beginning. Why was Belkar suddenly talking about mansion whores?
    Di-mension door
    damn mansion whore
    (his deafness is fading)
    Last edited by Werbaer; 2012-08-31 at 09:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    By definition, it makes it more plausible. Believable is in the eye of the beholder.
    So now you're saying he speaks Beholder as well? Talk about an evil Mary Sue.
    I gave up fighting, and stabbing and bludgeoning and stealing and bar-brawls and wenches . . . and it was the worst 10 rounds of my life - Jerry the Country & Western Bard.

WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY???

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loss View Post
    Ten bucks says Malack defects to the order's side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayac View Post
    Five more says it's part of Tarquin's plan!
    I'll take that bet; Malack may hate Nale and be friendly with Durkon, but he's been a steadfast and loyal ally of Tarquin's for DECADES, and by all accounts, Tarquin's long-term plans are working perfectly.

Plus, Tarquin has been working hard all this time to avoid letting the order know who he is. If Malack shows up, what's the first thing the Order's gonna ask him? (assuming they talk instead of fight) "Where's Tarquin?"

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    But odds are he has at least one healing item on his person he could use.
    He's got a ring of regeneration; we've seen it in action once already. I don't know the exact rules for those sorts of things, but he can probably just slip it on Nale's finger for a few rounds and be done.

Edit: Swordsaged

Quote Originally Posted by Mantine View Post
    What I'm addressing here is not fizzling, but overly convenient efficiency.
    *snip*
    By using a specific non-verbal drow code (I mean, really?) he not only conveyed his order perfectly within a second, but effectively cut up Roy and everyone else from understanding it before they banded together for the teleport.
    Given how even with all the above they still barely escaped, it's no stretch to say that T's "lucky" ability effectively saved the team.
    As far as I know, the Drow are the only race in D&D that are specifically called out as having an alternate non-verbal method of communicating. The drow has been around since chapter 1, so it doesn't seem that contrived that drow-related quirks are showing up in the comic. Now, if Z had been Tarquin's caster, brought along just for this mission, then I would admit you might be on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Does this guy really have no weakness? Is there anything he cannot do? I am pretty certain there are flaws as well, but by now it's getting harder and harder for me to perceive him as fully believable character.
    I would say he's probably almost as powerful as Xykon, just in a more creative and less mechanical way, and he's more cautious. Frankly, this is how characters SHOULD be playing, if death in D&D wasn't such a revolving door. Imagine if you had exactly one character, and if he died you didn't get rezzed and you couldn't reroll. In fact, imagine if when that one character died you could never play with that D&D group again. No adventurer would leave the safety of a city without 100 pounds of magical-amulets to account for every concievable situation.

Quote Originally Posted by eras10 View Post
    Some things to think about:

-- As we near the fourth gate, V has been separated from the Order. We can strongly suspect from Qarr's behavior that the ArchFiends are about to temporarily repossess her.

-- Malack has been separated from his authority source and is now a wildcard.
    A powerful arcane caster and divine caster have both been seperated from their repsective groups, in a facility that (probably) holds the Gate. Coincedence?
    Almost certainly, but is anyone else REALLY hoping to see a V & Malack vs. Xykon and Redcloak spell-duel?
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2012-08-31 at 09:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    He's got a ring of regeneration; we've seen it in action once already. I don't know the exact rules for those sorts of things, but he can probably just slip it on Nale's finger for a few rounds and be done.
    Last I checked, Rings of Regeneration only work for wounds received while wearing the ring. Thus, it works for all wounds Tarquin currently incurs, but should Nale get it, it would only heal injuries he got after he put the ring on - nothing more.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    But accountant? Given as the most plausable purpose of the language seems to be the silent communication before the battle, how many times before in Drow history the word "accountant" came up in pre-combat chat?
    If the world has any equivalent of Jarlaxle Baenre , more often than you might think. In the Homeland trilogy, he commanded a mercenary band which sometimes changed sides in the middle of a battle when offered more money. When your entire outlook is centered on profit, you would expect an epic-level NPC expert accountant to be just as much a part of the battle staff as soldiers.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
    Di-mension door
    damn mansion whore
    (his deafness is fading)
    Many thanks!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Loved the update. Excited about the OOTS win!

You know, I have to confess to liking Tarquin as a character. I think his uber-resourcefulness leads to a few different things. First of all, when the OOTS do have a decisive win against him, when he is ultimately defeated (or however this all plays out), it will make the victory that much sweeter.

Also, it shows a very nice foil for Roy. I mean, Roy is a fighter with intelligence. Not sure if Tarquin's genre savvy-ness is intelligence based, but you can't deny his tactical abilities. Are we seeing what Roy could be if he made full use of this ability stat? Kind of like how we saw his plans for an ambush coming off almost flawlessly?

Another difference between the two is that Roy tends to lead in the open, while Tarquin pulls strings from behind. Again, it's a nice twist that fits nicely into the "opposites" them of the LG vs OOTS.

At any rate, great job Giant. Keep it up!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Though the drug theory is inventive, given Tarquin's discourse about curvy female drow, his personality, and the fact that it's a lot easier to see our sign for "drinking fountain" as "oral sex" than "smoking", I'd vote for Tarquin having shown his sly linguistic skills to the lady, rather than the other.
    I gues you could say he's a...

Cunning linguist.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sethram View Post
    Which makes Tarquin's little quip about Nale talking to hear himself talk even more funny.
    I guess Tarquin never learned to get his monologuing out of the way while shaving....

Quote Originally Posted by ghoul-n View Post
    No, that was "The Thing With The Eyes", according to the board game. Totally unrelated, of course.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-08-31 at 10:58 AM.